• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Direct on 9/4 12AM (EU), 7AM (JP) - 8/4 6PM (EST), 3PM (PST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
nintengaf likes ya harker, but yeah, smash threads are dangerous for industry insiders lol

What insider? Where? I don't see anybody.

Listen. All of that stupid insider stuff goes to people's heads. Everybody reports on it all around the Internet, and you become a public target.

It's best to just lay low to the ground, stay quiet and pop your head up once in a blue moon and then disappear.

Wait... really? I need to search this up.

"Michiko Sakurai (born Michiko Takahashi) is a graphic designer working at Project Sora, a Nintendo subsidiary studio. Michiko graduated from the Musashino Art University in 1997 and landed at a position at HAL Laboratory. After working on Kirby's Star Stacker, Michiko joined Masashiro Sakurai in the development of Super Smash Bros. She worked on the interface of the game and also created three of the stages. Since then she worked in a similar role on all following HAL games where Sakurai was involved. In 2003 when Sakurai resigned from his position at HAL, Michiko left with him and the two formed Sora, a shell company who worked in a freelance basis on several projects. After working on Meteos and Super Smash Bros Brawl, Sakurai started Project Sora, a first party studio working for Nintendo. Michiko is not only a designer but also manages the in-house staff. Michiko interfaces became a trademark of Sakurai games as evident in the recurrence of Super Smash Bros. Brawl's menu visuals in Kid Icarus: Uprising."

Riki

"Michiko Sakurai (born Michiko Takahashi) is a graphic designer working at Project Sora, a Nintendo subsidiary studio. Michiko graduated from the Musashino Art University in 1997 and landed at a position at HAL Laboratory. After working on Kirby's Star Stacker, Michiko joined Masashiro Sakurai in the development of Super Smash Bros. She worked on the interface of the game and also created three of the stages. Since then she worked in a similar role on all following HAL games where Sakurai was involved. In 2003 when Sakurai resigned from his position at HAL, Michiko left with him and the two formed Sora, a shell company who worked in a freelance basis on several projects. After working on Meteos and Super Smash Bros Brawl, Sakurai started Project Sora, a first party studio working for Nintendo. Michiko is not only a designer but also manages the in-house staff. Michiko interfaces became a trademark of Sakurai games as evident in the recurrence of Super Smash Bros. Brawl's menu visuals in Kid Icarus: Uprising."

<3

I believe his wife has been designing the menu's for his games for a while now.

Michiko Sakurai

----Kid Icarus Uprising (3DS, 2012) - UI Design

----Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii, 2008) - UI Design

----Meteos (NDS, 2005) - UI Design

----Kirby Air Ride (GCN, 2003) - Art Director

----Kirby's Adventure (GBA, 2002) - UI Design Chief

----Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN, 2001) - UI Design, Stage Design

----Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64, 2000) - Design

----Super Smash Bros. (N64, 1999) - UI Design, Stage Design

----Kirby's Star Stacker (SNES, 1998) - Design

Yeah, just looked it up. I never knew.

Well, the more you know!

"Michiko Sakurai (born Michiko Takahashi) is a graphic designer working at Project Sora, a Nintendo subsidiary studio. Michiko graduated from the Musashino Art University in 1997 and landed at a position at HAL Laboratory. After working on Kirby's Star Stacker, Michiko joined Masashiro Sakurai in the development of Super Smash Bros. She worked on the interface of the game and also created three of the stages. Since then she worked in a similar role on all following HAL games where Sakurai was involved. In 2003 when Sakurai resigned from his position at HAL, Michiko left with him and the two formed Sora, a shell company who worked in a freelance basis on several projects. After working on Meteos and Super Smash Bros Brawl, Sakurai started Project Sora, a first party studio working for Nintendo. Michiko is not only a designer but also manages the in-house staff. Michiko interfaces became a trademark of Sakurai games as evident in the recurrence of Kirby: Air Ride's menu visuals in every game since Kirby: Air Ride"
ftfy

Volotaire

I dont believe Smash Bros is delayed but the only way Nintendo can get away with delaying it to me is if they have Zelda WiiU and Metroid U ready for this year

There definitely won't be a Metroid announced for Wii U. It's more probable a 3DS version is announced imo.

Masahiro and Michiko aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww

Picture of her:

gGOlN9U.png

She's ageless, just like Masahiro Sakurai.

Ryce

No where in there does it say his wife is Michiko.
Her last name changed from Takahashi to Sakurai, and they're the only two employees of Sora Ltd.

Oddly enough, Sakurai's Japanese Wikipedia page (I think this is where I saw it) used to have a source, but it appears to have been taken down. One of Sakurai's friends (a fellow game developer) made a blog post in 2008 congratulating the two on their marriage. I distinctly remember the blog post saying that Sakurai promised to marry his fiancée as soon as Brawl was finished. It was only a few months ago that I read this, so I don't know why I'm having trouble finding it again.

Her last name changed from Takahashi to Sakurai, and they're the only two employees of Sora Ltd.

Oddly enough, Sakurai's Japanese Wikipedia page (I think this is where I saw it) used to have a source, but it appears to have been taken down. One of Sakurai's friends (a fellow game developer) made a blog post in 2008 congratulating the two on their marriage. I distinctly remember the blog post saying that Sakurai promised to marry his fiancée as soon as Brawl was finished. It was only a few months ago that I read this, so I don't know why I'm having trouble finding it again.

So they got married after working together? That makes sense, and is very cool.

BlackJace

I'm bailing for a while after the Direct tomorrow to avoid the whining specifically.
"Smash 4 seems like more of the same"

"Where were the new IPs at?" (This one will definitely be happening even though it specifically says Smash direct lol)

"Anyone else still not buying a Wii U solely for Smash 4?"

"Where were the new IPs at?" (This one will definitely be happening even though it specifically says Smash direct lol)

"What the fuck, why did they include [character]?"

"This game looks casual as fuck. Brawl 2.0."

"3DS worse version confirmed."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The internet has conditioned me to believe that this post is
has to be
a fake edit, but LOLOL.

I wish :(. Planned my schedule around it and everything.

Ryce

So there are TWO people at Sora ? =O
Sora Ltd. is just the office Sakurai and his wife work out of -- it's not an actual development studio. Project Sora was the name of the team put together to work on Kid Icarus: Uprising, but it dissolved after the game shipped.

Revven

As far as I'm concerned, character reveals can shove it. I want to see actual gameplay footage demonstrating the pacing of the gameplay to back up Sakurai's statements about how they're trying to make it "in between Melee and Brawl". Hell, expound upon how the ledge mechanics work. Show something gameplay-related that can actually get me excited to want to care about the character reveals. Squash my and thousands of others' skepticism over the gameplay.

At this moment in time, I haven't really been excited about any of the characters revealed so far (except maybe I guess Little Mac because he actually shows some competent gameplay/character/balance/fighting game design decisions and is a character that will be really fun to explore for competitive matches) because we know so little about the gameplay. Clips from trailers doesn't tell me much and neither does that awful match Sakurai and Bill Trinen had last E3. This is their chance to sell me on the game, prove to me that they learned from the missteps Brawl took. Prove to me that they actually have read what people's main complaints were about Brawl (speed, hitstun, recovery, etc)

Yes, character reveals are nice and exciting but for a direct dedicated to the game I expect much more than that. Talk about the game itself at length -- show me why I should care about the actual game itself. I am excited for the Direct on the assumption we will see more of the game itself, not for character reveals or stages or items.

The only characters that could get me to care at all would be Mewtwo and/or Ridley. (Even though PM already has Mewtwo with both buffs and competent design decisions that I doubt, if he's in Smash 4, will use). But beyond those two I want to see gameplay at length. Give me a full competently played match or review mechanics you've changed (like the ledge mechanics which weren't very well explained at all IMO).

However, I don't expect it at all -- just posting what I'd want from the Direct in order for it to get me excited for the game. Low expectations and all that.

That said, what I do expect is just a release date and a vet (Mewtwo/Snake) or a newcomer (Pac-man, Mii, Shulk, or Ridley). And they'll go over the character they revealed and maybe how the Wii U and 3DS connect/interact.

Deap92x

Banned
I am just expecting to see an unannounced character and maybe a third party one,pacman? besides that, i bet its gonna be about gameplay and new "features".

Snakeyes

"Smash looks great, but is it really what the Wii U needs right now?"

No where in there does it say his wife is Michiko.

Really? That wasn't proof enough for you? You don't think someone also called Sakurai and who moved with Masahiro Sakurai to Sora Ltd. wouldn't be his wife? Well here's some more proof:

http://ja.kirby.wikia.com/wiki/&#26716;&#20117;&#25919;&#21338;

&#26481;&#20140;&#37117;&#20986;&#36523;&#12290;&#34880;&#28082;&#22411;&#12399;B&#22411;&#12290;&#12300;&#22823;&#20081;&#38360;&#12473;&#12510;&#12483;&#12471;&#12517;&#12502;&#12521;&#12470;&#12540;&#12474;X&#12301;&#35069;&#20316;&#32066;&#20102;&#24460;&#12289;2008&#24180;6&#26376;&#12395;&#32080;&#23130;&#12375;&#26082;&#23130;&#32773;&#12392;&#12394;&#12387;&#12383;&#12290;[2]&#22971;&#12399;&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;&#12487;&#12470;&#12452;&#12490;&#12540;&#12398;&#39640;&#27211;&#36947;&#23376;[3]&#12290;

Masahiro Sakurai. Born in Tokyo. Has Type B Blood Type. Became married after end of Brawl's production, married in June 2008. Wife is game designer's Michiko Takahashi (now Michiko Sakurai).

Source (An interview with Masahiro + Michiko + others):

http://ameblo.jp/evezoo/entry-10119519783.html
http://www.1101.com/nintendo/nin4/nin4-4.htm

Banjo-Kazooie. Seriously, I know it's 100% no way, but I would give a kidney to Sakurai for him.

I know Microsoft didn't really care about Rare games on the DS. Think there was even a Halo DS talk planned.

Maybe they'll let B&K be 3ds exclusive. Or they wont really care seeing the WiiU sales and dont consider it a competitor and give permission

EDIT: Hey, can I give the avatar I gave Zeer0id for the duration of his avatar bet loss to someone else if they lose?

As far as I'm concerned, character reveals can shove it. I want to see actual gameplay footage demonstrating the pacing of the gameplay to back up Sakurai's statements about how they're trying to make it "in between Melee and Brawl". Hell, expound upon how the ledge mechanics work. Show something gameplay-related that can actually get me excited to want to care about the character reveals. Squash my and thousands of others' skepticism over the gameplay.

At this moment in time, I haven't really been excited about any of the characters revealed so far (except maybe I guess Little Mac because he actually shows some competent gameplay/character/balance/fighting game design decisions and is a character that will be really fun to explore for competitive matches) because we know so little about the gameplay. Clips from trailers doesn't tell me much and neither does that awful match Sakurai and Bill Trinen had last E3. This is their chance to sell me on the game, prove to me that they learned from the missteps Brawl took. Prove to me that they actually have read what people's main complaints were about Brawl (speed, hitstun, recovery, etc)

Yes, character reveals are nice and exciting but for a direct dedicated to the game I expect much more than that. Talk about the game itself at length -- show me why I should care about the actual game itself. I am excited for the Direct on the assumption we will see more of the game itself, not for character reveals or stages or items.

The only characters that could get me to care at all would be Mewtwo and/or Ridley. (Even though PM already has Mewtwo with both buffs and competent design decisions that I doubt, if he's in Smash 4, will use). But beyond those two I want to see gameplay at length. Give me a full competently played match or review mechanics you've changed (like the ledge mechanics which weren't very well explained at all IMO).

However, I don't expect it at all -- just posting what I'd want from the Direct in order for it to get me excited for the game. Low expectations and all that.

That said, what I do expect is just a release date and a vet (Mewtwo/Snake) or a newcomer (Pac-man, Mii, Shulk, or Ridley). And they'll go over the character they revealed and maybe how the Wii U and 3DS connect/interact.

Why you hating on Rosalina though?

j/k :p

*fistbump*

ohlawd

You avatar ohlawd <3

ty <3

might change again. depends on 2nd episode of this and everything else this season.

on topic: really hope for little amount of character reveals. I want a 10 min uninterrupted match or something, new game modes, that stuff

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
there's a distinct lack of hype in this thread. Hell the Pokemon Direct thread reached a bunch of pages while this barely scratched it, and it's almost Direct time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom