• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

-Horizon-

Soo, since I've caught the nintendoom bug I can't help but ask.

How much do you guys expect the Wii U Smash to sell?

Wiki says Brawl sold 874,000 day 1 US, 1.4 million during the first week, 2.7 million first month.

Wiki says Melee sold 250,000 in 9 days in the US.

I don't know what to expect from the Wii U.

In response to the Ridley stage hazard/character discussion on the last page, the Ridley in Other M is a clone of the original, so there'd be no need to replace him.

If Ridley is in, I bet Sakurai will show his stage hazard version on the site, and leave the playable one as a surprise hidden character like Wolf was supposed to be.

-Horizon-

If it's not too much to ask
it probably is
, do y think you can fix mine to look more like Jaegar's avatar Horizon?

s7LTbD4.png

Like this?

Soo, since I've caught the nintendoom bug I can't help but ask.

How much do you guys expect the Wii U Smash to sell?

I'd bet 2 million WW for Wii U, 5 million WW for 3DS

Assuming there's no big thing that makes the Wii U take off (unlikely) and no big thing that kills 3DS software sales, like an R4-style card.

It'll be more than enough to pay for itself but long term branding is going to be so diminished that it wouldn't surprise me if this were the last entry in the series.

BlackJace

I'd bet 2 million WW for Wii U, 5 million WW for 3DS

Assuming there's no big thing that makes the Wii U take off (unlikely) and no big thing that kills 3DS software sales, like an R4-style card.

It'll be more than enough to pay for itself but long term branding is going to be so diminished that it wouldn't surprise me if this were the last entry in the series.

Damn, that's really depressing.

Since there simply aren't enough Wii U's, so there will be a lot of people going "Man, it's been a long time since I've played Smash Bros." Most people just won't know there was an entry on the Wii U and the 3DS isn't really the same audience.

jph139

Man, swappable background elements... that really clears up a big way to "deconfirm" characters, doesn't it? Viridi's technically still in the running, even (though I'm rather doubting that still).

I think it's hope for Ridley, too, though I never looked at that hint as a "Ridley is just a stage hazard this time guys" message.

BlackJace

Since there simply aren't enough Wii U's, so there will be a lot of people going "Man, it's been a long time since I've played Smash Bros." Most people just won't know there was an entry on the Wii U and the 3DS isn't really the same audience.

I guess they would have to turn the advertising up to 11. Get that shit everywhere.

SuperSah

Banned
HOLY SHIT LOL AT THIS RUMOUR:

From Smashboards

Smashboards said:
I happen to have a Japanese friend who I met at my University that was studying abroad. He went back to Japan a few semesters ago, and we haven't really been in contact since. Well, last night he contacted me to let me know that he'd received an internship at Namco-Bandai, and had become privy to a few interesting details about the new Super Smash Bros. Since he knew what a big Smash Bros. fan I am, he thought he'd let me in on a few secrets about the development of this game. Here's what he told me:
-All Brawl veterans except Solid Snake are returning.
-The Palutena leak from a few days ago is real. The leak was made by someone in QA, who has since been "removed from the development process" by Sakurai.
-Due to complaints about clones from fans, Sakurai has decided that Mewtwo and Snake will have their roles filled by Deoxys and Big Boss respectively.
-Dr. Kawashima will be an Assist Trophy
-Thajra will be an Assist Trophy.
-Waluigi will be playable.
-Chrom will be playable.
-Doctor Mario will return. Sakurai wanted to include him to appease fans who were upset witht he return of FLUDD.
-The "Leaky 3" rumour is true.
-Many characters will be receiving alternate costumes. For instance, Marth will be receiving a costume based on his artwork from Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light. Chrom will receive an outfit based on his appearance in the "Summer Scramble" DLC.
-There are a lot fewer newcomers than had been originally planned. This is because of a new game mode that the dev team is working on that Sakurai thinks will be really popular.
-The new game mode is called "Super Smash Lovers." It's a mode where you can go on dates with any playable character, Assist Trophy, or other NPC. It was originally suggested as a joke by another intern, but the dev team liked the idea so much that they've focused most of the game's development on it. It's expected that the inclusion of this mode alone will double both Wii U and 3DS sales in Japan.

Believe or disbelieve, the choice is yours.

KHlover

Banned
Oh god here come the waifus. Still cannot get over that thread a few months ago. Emcee about to experience the REAL WeekendSmashGAF?

afoni

Banned
Still cannot get over that thread a few months ago.

Was that the one where I cropped a bit of SFW Krystal art and said I drew it and needed to crop it so it was SFW?

Good times.

Really though, stop bringing up waifus. This thread is like a curious dog. If you put a tasty bone on the table, they're going to jump up, grab it and chew it until it's destroyed. I don't think I need to explain this analogy, yes?

Not

Banned
In b4 the Super Smash Lover discussion.

I thought I'd reaffirm my #teamreal-ness. Whatever, it's all in good fun. It's a freaking avatar on a message board, not a scarlet letter sewn into your forehead

All this crazyness... we need a direct
C'mon Nintendo ):

We have to wait till February then?

I wouldn't bet on it.

If they are making major changes, they may just maintain radio silence until they have a product lineup that appeals to consumers.

Then again, maybe they aren't intending to change hoses midstream anytime soon, so they could just show a Direct whenever.

Anbec7

I wouldn't bet on it.

If they are making major changes, they may just maintain radio silence until they have a product lineup that appeals to consumers.

Then again, maybe they aren't intending to change hoses midstream anytime soon, so they could just show a Direct whenever.

Well you're right but seeing the current situation a Direct with some news would be one of the best things they could plan on doing lately.... I really want some news!
but oh well it's Nintendo!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Upon further review:

1) General hairstyle and body from Uprising, yet...
-Slimmed gauntlets and neck band
-Changed colors on trinkets and necklace loops
-Generally added detail compared to Uprising
-New belt texture and slings around differently
-Modified dress textures
-Significantly modified hair
-Significantly modified gold laurels
2) Face and rounder shield from brawl in-stage
-Shield missing rope underneath
3) Darker, more detailed staff from brawl
4) General modeling details that are rather subtle

If this is a fake, they fuckin put in work to the point they should probably be hired by somebody. I don't think it could be a photoshop. They would have had to assemble the new model in 3D, making a bunch of decisions that would be sensible to the development of this game.

My only issues are...

1) Looking at this around the staff orb there seems to be an aura of some kind, looks like the smudge left after lazy rounding of an object in photoshop. However, if someone was this skilled at photoshop, they wouldn't suck that bad, and would have modified it as a layer before applying it to the background. I think it is more likely to be an artifacting halo from thephone sensor or jpeg compression.

2) Comparing to Uprising it is just so goddamned highres-seeming and detailed. Is this seriously on 3DS? Like, compare to Zelda who seems to have textures more flatly painted on a more basic body model than so many legit details... yet maybe these screens are older than we think?

#teamreallydontknow
#teamwantsittobereal

Anteo

You know what, I hope when sakurai reveals palutena, he reveals she is actually pseudo palutena assist thropy, so I can have a good laugh (I still believe the image is fake but she is in the game),

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You know what, I hope when sakurai reveals palutena, he reveals she is actually pseudo palutena assist thropy, so I can have a good laugh (I still believe the image is fake but she is in the game),
...or that it is some cutscene before Pit steps in, explaining the high detail.

Top Bottom