• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface Book Is Microsoft's Glorious New Laptop - twice as fast as macbook pro

Mrbob

Not huge, assuming the GPU in each is the same. Slightly higher base and turbo clock and a bit more cache.mi think someone said it was the i7-6560u in the surface book? Don't know what i5 they'll use

lGgkg9X.png

Best Buy is listing the the 6300U for the I5 model and the 6600U for the I7.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...lver/4531200.p?id=1219758515832&skuId=4531200

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...lver/4531300.p?id=1219758514591&skuId=4531300

dLMN8R

As an option, maybe... but I find 13" is the sweet spot for me. 15" starts to feel way less portable.

My 12" Surface Pro 3 is a great screen size IMO. What makes a massive difference is the 3:2 screen instead of 16:9. It's a fricken revelation. Every time I go back to a 16:9 screen it's so squished.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

That sounds wrong - if the i7 has iris graphics it would boned to be the 6560u or 6650u. 6300u for the i5 would be good though - not the bottom of the range. Would have loved iris on that model though - don't know if the CPU+HD520 will be enough of a jump over the core m model.

And if I'm looking at the core m model, then I'm also going to be closely looking at the lenovo miix 700. $899+$130 keyboard = $1030 for core m3/4GB. Miix 700 starts at $699 including keyboard and is also core m. m3 is the entry level so should be at least as good, and they have to ship with a min of 4GB. That's is a massive saving and potentially lets me choose more ram/cpu in the higher models and still save money. Lenovo really needs to start releasing more info on the range now that MS has shown its hand.

That sounds wrong - if the i7 has iris graphics it would boned to be the 6560u or 6650u. 6300u for the i5 would be good though - not the bottom of the range. Would have loved iris on that model though - don't know if the CPU+HD520 will be enough of a jump over the core m model.

And if I'm looking at the core m model, then I'm also going to be closely looking at the lenovo miix 700. $899+$130 keyboard = $1030 for core m3/4GB. Miix 700 starts at $699 including keyboard and is also core m. m3 is the entry level so should be at least as good, and they have to ship with a min of 4GB. That's is a massive saving and potentially lets me choose more ram/cpu in the higher models and still save money. Lenovo really needs to start releasing more info on the range now that MS has shown its hand.

ars's video shows the about computer screen that says it has a i5-6300u, so there's that

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ars's video shows the about computer screen that says it has a i5-6300u, so there's that

cool - got a link? I think that might cement my choice of the base 4GB i5. The CPU should be a pretty nice jump over the core m. Tempted to preorder - UK models don't ship until November 12th which gives me time to see results from initial units regarding throttling etc so I'd have the opportunity to cancel.

szaromir

Banned
Yeah, Lenovo is bringing a much more affordable product. Still, the big question for me is how good is using the stylus on Miix 700, if it's frustrating or vastly inferior to SP4 than I'll pay the premium for MS's device.

see5harp

Damn that's kind of sad...paying 2000 bucks and it can't run FFXIV better than a 400 dollar console?

What a silly comparison to make in the first place. I know this thread is on the gaming side but I even with a dedicated GPU, I don't think gaming is the reason these devices exist. You could buy a gaming laptop with a huge fan, battery, and chassis if you wanted to game and it's probably a lot cheaper than the surface book.

AgeEighty

Damn that's kind of sad...paying 2000 bucks and it can't run FFXIV better than a 400 dollar console?

The person who answered you doesn't actually know what they're talking about. We don't even know what exact GPU this thing has. Plus, FFXIV isn't exactly a super demanding game.

see5harp

My main desktop was only $800 why would I want to buy a Surface Book that runs games worse for more than double the price? Makes no sense since I could totally bring my Desktop and a large monitor with me on business trips, to meetings, and to training classes for note taking. Hell with many planes you have AC power right at your seat so why would I compromise with a surface?

Stare-Bear

Banned
For multimedia professionals the 13 inch is a real deal breaker. Great performance for making spreadsheets I suppose...

x3sphere

My main desktop was only $800 why would I want to buy a Surface Book that runs games worse for more than double the price? Makes no sense since I could totally bring my Desktop and a large monitor with me on business trips, to meetings, and to training classes for note taking. Hell with many planes you have AC power right at your seat so why would I compromise with a surface?

Clearly it's not for you then. I would not want to lug my entire desktop around on trips. That's not practical for most people...

Obviously there is some significant diminishing return in the high end variants of the Surface Book.

How many people really need a glorified ultrabook on crack for $2000? Either you have too much money or you are one of the few people who really need the performance and the mobility of a 13inch monitor - though I don't really know a single application right know.

Clearly it's not for you then. I would not want to lug my entire desktop around on trips. That's not practical for most people...
😅

tmtyf

Do people buy 128Gb computers? I just wish they offered the basic model with a bigger SSD

ditto. at least they are pcie ssd and technically it would probably be cheaper getting a portable drive to drag along with you anyway with the jump in prices on the different models.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do people buy 128Gb computers? I just wish they offered the basic model with a bigger SSD

I bought the 64GB SP3 for my wife and it was fine. All her documents are on Dropbox and don't take up huge amounts of space anyway, music and photos went on a 64GB micro SD card, and there was a reasonable amount of free space left over.

If I buy one, I'll buy the 128GB happily. Sure it isn't for everyone, but I don't understand people looking down on it as though it would be useless for everyone. 4GB is more of an issue. I'd rather have an 8GB/128SSD i5 than a 4GB/256SSD one.

Or get one of these 128GB USB3 flash drives

Koren

I'd buy ASAP an low-cost computer with 64Gb that weight less than 1kg, has a matte screen, a touchpad with dedicated buttons (I hate buttons under the touchpad) and VGA out. I really need one for my job :/

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Yep on your next flight, go ahead and try to plug in your desktop. What could go wrong?

This post is a joke right? Don't be one of those people who plug in desktop computers at coffe shops and on airplanes.

There are plenty of good portable gaming laptops out there, but the Surface Book is unique since it's also a tablet. It's not for everyone, but it's impressive tech wise.

see5harp

Yes I bring my full sized tower, a monitor, a power strip, my keyboard, my mouse, a set of speakers, my high precision surface mouse pad, my nag champa, and my 4 foot glass bong on planes. It's like I never left home.

Mrbob

Is there really any reason to spend 200 more on the I7 surface book? I'm thinking with the Nvidia GPU there isn't going to be much difference between the i5 and i7.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Is there really any reason to spend 200 more on the I7 surface book? I'm thinking with the Nvidia GPU there isn't going to be much difference between the i5 and i7.

The dual core i7s Intel puts out for laptops are always a scam.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That price though
wtzgU.gif

That's really my problem along with the Surface 4 price. Neither of these is in the "mass consumer" price-range which is a shame because the tablet/laptop hybrid under Windows I really want. But, not at that price. :/

I know there's knock-offs/clones of the idea already. But none of them have that "appeal" like the Surface to me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
For multimedia professionals the 13 inch is a real deal breaker. Great performance for making spreadsheets I suppose...

Yeah, most multimedia professionals I know just use their laptop monitor exclusively.

Honestly there are thousands of shit posts on gaf every day, so to be this low on the totem pole is some flatworm limbo level stuff.

Incidentally, the VAST majority of video editors I know who use a laptop, use a Macbook Pro 13.3 and plug it into at least one other and usually two other monitors. And I am guessing I know more video editors than you.

If you're going to make that argument at least make it about Final Cut vs Premiere.

Yeah, most multimedia professionals I know just use their laptop monitor exclusively.

Honestly there are thousands of shit posts on gaf every day, so to be this low on the totem pole is some flatworm limbo level stuff.

Incidentally, the VAST majority of video editors I know who use a laptop, use a Macbook Pro 13.3 and plug it into at least one other and usually two other monitors. And I am guessing I know more video editors than you.

If you're going to make that argument at least make it about Final Cut vs Premiere.

someone's angry

seriously though, does that guy know how most multimedia people work?

Mrbob

The dual core i7s Intel puts out for laptops are always a scam.

I'm assuming the 2699 version is a quad core model? A little too pricey.

When I first read the tablet only has a 3 hours of battery life on its own I got a little worried since I plan on using it as a notebook with One Note fairly extensively. 3 hours isn't enough juice for the day. But then I saw a video where you can flip the tablet screen around on the dock and basically use it like a note book on a desk. Not sure why I didn't figure this out right away when we found out the screen could detach. I wish October 26 were here already.

AJLma

Wait a minute, dual core i7? Sorry if I'm treading old ground here, but isn't the Macbook Pro Retina @ $2600 a Quad-Core i7?

Mrbob

There are two i7 surface book models. One for $2099 and another one for $2699. My guess is the 2699 i7 Surface book is a quad core device. The 600 dollar jump up in price doesn't justify a boost in the SSD and ram alone.

AJLma

That's a 15" though... the 13" MBP is dual core only even when you configure it with an i7.

You're right. So you're paying specifically for the dedicated GPU and the convertible.

Fair trade I guess, although for $2600 you do get a 15" with a quad-core i7 and dedicated graphics on the Apple side. These laptops really aren't as comparable as they're marketing them to be :/.

aaaaa0

You're right. So you're paying specifically for the dedicated GPU and the convertible.

Fair trade I guess, although for $2600 you do get a 15" with a quad-core i7 and dedicated graphics on the Apple side. These laptops really aren't as comparable as they're marketing them to be :/.

Microsoft is comparing it with the 13" MacBook Pro models only, because that's the one with similar size and weight.

The 13" MacBook Pro with i7/16gb/512gb is $2199.
The Surface Book i7/16gb/512gb is $2699.

The extra $500 gets you Skylake, a dGPU, pen, touchscreen, tablet mode, and a little less weight (and a LOT less weight and thickness in tablet mode).

Whether that's worth it is a subjective decision.

The 15" MacBook Pro is 30% heavier, bigger, basically a different class of laptop.

Top Bottom