• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

5722755ld.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

Remember we just talked about this beast? The ONLY Pen enabled 2 in 1 with both Quad Core i7 AND discrete GPU?

This top of the line config available @ Best Buy (7700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, 4K screen, GTX 1050M) was $1399.99 last week. Now it's $100 less @ $1299.99!. They even have "perfect condition" open box for $1169.99 and "Certified" open box for $1208.99!

The only config more packed than this one has 1TB SSD instead of 512GB at Lenovo website for $1650 ($1500 after eCoupon). I don't think 512GB more for the SSD, NVMe or not, is worth $200.

BTW, this unit does not come with the Wacom AES pen in the box. So you can either spend $40 for Wacom Bamboo Smart for Select 2 in 1 readily available, OR, spend $70 on the new Wacom Bamboo Ink Smart pen which will possibly be available next week at Best Buy since it may add pen tilt function!

zulux21

I love my Miix 700. It's a really nice tablet to fool around with for the price. You probably wont be playing many games on it, but it's great for media consumption and sketching.

Yep. I still use it as my main on the go tablet.

Do either of you use an external battery with your Miix?
If so, do you know if a USB-C compatible battery will work, or do I need to locate a USB 3.0 one. I have two that just have quick charge ports, but I think they are usb 2.0 and they won't charge it.

Do either of you use an external battery with your Miix?
If so, do you know if a USB-C compatible battery will work, or do I need to locate a USB 3.0 one. I have two that just have quick charge ports, but I think they are usb 2.0 and they won't charge it.

I don't. USB-C vs A is moot if you don't have the charge cable that came with the Miix 700. The tablet end is a weirdly shaped version of USB-A. If you stick a regular USB-A into, no charging will takes place.

If you have the proper cable, then you would need a power bank that outputs @ 20 Volt/2 Amps or 5 Volt/2 Amps, according to the charge brick.

zulux21

I don't. USB-C vs A is moot if you don't have the charge cable that came with the Miix 700. The tablet end is a weirdly shaped version of USB-A. If you stick a regular USB-A into, no charging will takes place.

If you have the proper cable, then you would need a power bank that outputs @ 20 Volt/2 Amps or 5 Volt/2 Amps, according to the charge brick.

I have the charge cable, and thanks for the info.

Rootbeer

Banned
BTW, this unit does not come with the Wacom AES pen in the box. So you can either spend $40 for Wacom Bamboo Smart for Select 2 in 1 readily available, OR, spend $70 on the new Wacom Bamboo Ink Smart pen which will possibly be available next week at Best Buy since it may add pen tilt function!

I was messing around with this 720 (Best Buy model with dGPU) on Saturday at a local display and my initial impressions were pretty good -- however, I don't have a pen to test on it and best buy didn't have anything I could use either. Was kinda bummed about that.

Anyway my concern is the new Wacom pen might not be until September (!!!) according to that Surface Pro Artist site, I don't know what to believe anymore. I really don't want to have to buy a temporary pen while we wait for this new one if it includes tilt... and even if it doesn't add tilt for existing devices, it's still the pen I'm considering the most right now because of its dual protocol nature, so I can potentially use it on more devices.

And if I picked up the 720 during this sale (which is really tempting) I'm currently without a pen to use with it, I can't decide what my best course of action is. Maybe if I waited for the Wacom pen to come out, the price will drop more -- or the 4GB dGPU model could come out stateside and I'll be drawn to that instead. Because this puppy will be putting in some light to moderate gaming for me as well (particularly FFXIV, for starters)

I was messing around with this 720 (Best Buy model with dGPU) on Saturday at a local display and my initial impressions were pretty good -- however, I don't have a pen to test on it and best buy didn't have anything I could use either. Was kinda bummed about that.

Anyway my concern is the new Wacom pen might not be until September (!!!) according to that Surface Pro Artist site, I don't know what to believe anymore. I really don't want to have to buy a temporary pen while we wait for this new one if it includes tilt... and even if it doesn't add tilt for existing devices, it's still the pen I'm considering the most right now because of its dual protocol nature, so I can potentially use it on more devices.

And if I picked up the 720 during this sale (which is really tempting) I'm currently without a pen to use with it, I can't decide what my best course of action is. Maybe if I waited for the Wacom pen to come out, the price will drop more -- or the 4GB dGPU model could come out stateside and I'll be drawn to that instead. Because this puppy will be putting in some light to moderate gaming for me as well (particularly FFXIV, for starters)
OK. There are lot of things to unpack here.

First, you can buy a pen right now for it. I also went to my local Best Buy to play around with this thing. I brought my cache of pens. Both the Lenovo Pen Pro I bought for the Miix 700 and the Wacom Bamboo Smart for Select 2 in 1 works perfectly fine on it. It was fast, smooth, no lag experience.

Second, Rick's supposition about September release for the Bamboo Ink is probably wrong, because there are people who reported on the web that apparently already bought them from Best Buy. I checked in person with my local Best Buy. They first told me that they have the SKU in the system, but it is simply listed as "sold out" for all the stores. Few days later they told me that these pens just got to their local distribution centers and should be delivered to LA area stores sometime this coming week.

In either case, you can get a pen now, or get it later in the week:

Ones you can get now (but have to be ordered on line since most store don't carry AES pens) are gen 11 and 12 AES pens that have 2048 levels of pressure, 1 gram Initial Activation Force, and no tilt. They go for around $40.

The new pen you should be able to buy from Best Buy later this week (Wacom Bamboo Ink Smart) is gen 13 AES pen that has 4096 levels of pressure, 1 gram of IAF, and hopefully tilt. This goes for $70.

Either way, the Yoga 720 can be used now with pen action. If I had $1500 to spare, I can buy one tomorrow, and use it perfectly fine with my existing collection of Wacom AES pens.

Now as for September timing that Rick is talking about, there is fire there, but for something else important potentially for the dual protocol pen. September is when a second Windows Creator's update is slated for IIRC. There is a chance that these Bamboo Ink pens has necessary hardware to do pen tilt (second coil), but it might not work in Windows until that second Creator's update for those apps that use Windows INK API (Sketchables, Adobe CC, Clip Studio Paint etc.) and uses N-Trig digitizer boards or None Wacom but still AES compatible digitizer board (namely Elan boards used in Miix 700 and HP X2 line).

For official Wacom AES board devices like Yoga 720, Miix 510, Dell Inspiron 15 7568 and others, a Wacom Wintab driver update and/or Wacom digitizer firmware update should add the tilt capability if the new pen has necessary tilt hardware. Problem is, Wacom tends to be really late with software updates for new hardware. Also, this first version of dual protocol pen might not have the second coil necessary for tilt. Lots of variables here.

Who knows, Maybe the current Creator's update recognizes pen tilt already. I need that Bamboo Ink Smart pen in my hand to test these things personally. I don't trust others to do it properly. Sometime Rick also makes some simple mistakes when testing out these things. He has way more AES and N-Trg devices than I do but I have more experience with these things and knowledge of how these things actually work frankly.

Rootbeer

Banned
Alright. I think I have about all the info I need now to arm myself for a 720 and pen purchase. Though I'd still like to see a review of the pen and/or a serious artist take on the 720. It's my first tablet purchase and I am trying to do as much research as I can so I don't end up with something unsuitable for my needs. Thankfully, that seems unlikely here.

Anyway, yeah I caught from your earlier comments that the 720 can work with other pens. My dilemma was that I don't want to buy one of the older pens for budgetary reasons when the new one is (HOPEFULLY, and as early as a week from now if you are right) is so clearly within sight and may have some great new features. And even if those features don't pan out to be true, it still has its own small extra advantages already outlined by you.

Oh, there is ONE more thing I am curious about as for the wacom pen support... do I get the ability to configure that the same way I do with my Intuos? With all the wacom fiddly bits to change everything for every program? Or is it handled differently. Thanks. If this is what you are referring to when you say WinTab then that would answer my question.

Alright. I think I have about all the info I need now to arm myself for a 720 and pen purchase. Though I'd still like to see a review of the pen and/or a serious artist take on the 720. It's my first tablet purchase and I am trying to do as much research as I can so I don't end up with something unsuitable for my needs. Thankfully, that seems unlikely here.

Anyway, yeah I caught from your earlier comments that the 720 can work with other pens. My dilemma was that I don't want to buy one of the older pens for budgetary reasons when the new one is (HOPEFULLY, and as early as a week from now if you are right) is so clearly within sight and may have some great new features. And even if those features don't pan out to be true, it still has its own small extra advantages already outlined by you.

Oh, there is ONE more thing I am curious about as for the wacom pen support... do I get the ability to configure that the same way I do with my Intuos? With all the wacom fiddly bits to change everything for every program? Or is it handled differently. Thanks. If this is what you are referring to when you say WinTab then that would answer my question.
IMO, the only real advantage of Bamboo Ink Smart on Yoga 720 is the possible tilt. 4096 levels vs 2048 is as I've always said, marketing horseshit. You won't feel the difference since the load sensors used on the two pens are the same 1 gram IAF sensor.

Pressure level quantity is a giant BS concocted by Wacom marketing to keep upselling you to their latest generation tablets. After about 128 levels back in Art Z day (mid 90's) the pressure level quantity became moot.

Wanting more pressure levels is like asking for a clock that can tell you passage of time in milliseconds vs nanoseconds. For you, after tenths of seconds, it's all moot since you can't tell the difference. What's more important is that the clock keeps time accurately and the rate of time change is linear and smooth. After 128 levels, we physically can't tell the difference in pressure levels. What's more important, and definitely noticeable are Initial Detection Force (1 gram on current Wacom pens) and Predictable and linear progression of the pressure curve of the load sensor. Those two areas are where Wacom's load sensors kick N-Trig load sensor's butt.

As for all the features of the Wacom tablet utility you are use to from Intuos, if the Yoga 720 is using Wacom digitizer panel, and it has Wacom Wintab driver available for it, you have most of those features available to you. You will be able to map pen's barrel buttons, and you will have access to Radial Menu via button press of the pen. I forgot to check when I played with Yoga 720 to see if a Wacom Wintab driver and Wacom Tablet utility was installed. Next time you check it out, go to Control Panel and see if it has a "Wacom Pen" item listed in it.

Good news: Microsoft is getting really serious about the pen. The biggest improvements on the new Surface Pro was all pen related. Most talked about improvement was reduced latency.

Bad news: Latency is not the problem with their pens. High Initial Activation Force is.

With SP4, they took N-Trig's Duo Sense 2 and improved it with "G5" chips to improve pen latency. With the new pen and digitizer for 2017 Surface Pro, they are taking that a step further, lowering the latency to 21ms from about 50ms.

This is great for novice digital artists that gets bothered by watching their lines come out slightly after they draw them, but I haven't done something so asinine in decades. I KNOW what my hand is doing. I TRUST what my hand will do. I don't need to watch how it does it like a terrible boss.

What's far more important for me is that I have the lowest activation force on my digital pen so I can feather stuff in with light touch I've trained my hand to do all these years. N-Trig always seemed high compared to Wacom. Now we have hard numbers. The improved IAF on the new pen is 9 grams according to Panos during their presentation. Wacom's pen are 1~3 grams depending on generation. That's hardly an improvement worth boasting about frankly...

Wacom Bamboo Ink Smart (CS321AK) probably won't have tilt. Also, it will be announced publicly on May 31st. This is according to Wacom sales. The only features they confirmed were 4K pressure levels and support for both AES and MPP frequencies.

Even if it had second coil for tilt, we need firmware for the digitizer and driver for the OS. AFAIK, no AES digitizer board OEM has released digitizer firmware update for this thing. The only machine currently theoretically able to use tilt (if this has it) would be Surface Pro 2017 demo units.

I think the extra $30 over Bamboo Smart for Select 2 in 1 is for the bluetooth button...

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I want to buy a drawing tablet to connect to my iMac (using Windows, if that matters), but want to spend the minimal amount possible that will produce results that are "good enough."

I will let you determine what good enough is, but I plan on illustrating books for my children with the tablet, and am not a fantastic artist. I can draw and sketch when I put my mind to it, but it has to have a pen or surface that is easy-to-use and doesn't require fifty steps to draw a line.

Conversely, what would be a good and very cheap convertible laptop that would fit the bill, even one that is a few years old?

Luigi87

While I generally don't mind the actuation force of the SP4's pen, it does annoy me occasionally when I see the screen press in.

Esqueleto

Banned
So, how much better is the activation force on the new pen compared to the sp4's? If they brought it down to half and manage to get tilt working on the sp4, I might hold off on getting Wacom's pen.

Shog, what's your view on the Apple pencil?

Being it's their first venture, it seems rather impressive.

I love the fact that it's here and it's good overall, but I have some problems with it.

The biggest problem I have with it is just because I am use to how pressure sensitive EMR pens have worked for last 3 decades: It won't make marks until you press down on the load sensor in the pen tip and physically engage it. Wacom's been making load sensors for decades and they have the best ones. So they can still let you have really low Initial Activation Force (currently 1 gram) while taking this approach that mimics using physical media.

Apple's load sensor is probably not as good, so they decided to entirely circumvent it by allowing the developers let you make initial mark with the pen (pressure level 1) just by breaking the electro static field of the touch layer. So essentially, you have IAF of 0 grams, which I guess is great on paper, but fucks my ass up. Drawing with it never feels right to me. They do it real subtle too. This level 1 of pressure only let's you make the faintest of marks, but I notice it. It just goes against 2+ decades of my muscle memory.

But I suppose if you are just starting out in digital drawing, you'd get use to this quickly and will not matter. Other problems I have with it is the tip material being way too slippery and too broad. Doesn't feel as precise as thinner tips on Wacom AES and NTrig/MPP pens. Also lack of barrel buttons is a bummer, but that might be more related being stuck on iOS than anything.

But obviously it does tilt that they didn't use to. And the touch panel iPad Pro uses has much finer digitizer grid so it does the really slow diagonal line test with much less jitter than AES and MPP currently.

Overall, it's a good pen. I just can't do my best drawings on it, that's all. :/

So, how much better is the activation force on the new pen compared to the sp4's? If they brought it down to half and manage to get tilt working on the sp4, I might hold off on getting Wacom's pen.

Someone on the Surface team tweeted it as "less than 9 grams" so probably high side of 8 grams. I read many different places over the years listing NTrig pen's IAF as 10 grams, but maybe they were higher. Wacom by comparison use to be 3 grams but now are 1 gram.

While the difference in practice is not "HOLY SHIT!", it is noticeable.

Would this be a good one? Someone close to me is selling for $65.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076HMDQO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That's an excellent professional tablet. But I will ask you to make a decision right now, because it might determine your tablet habit for the rest of your life. Would you want to draw looking away from your hands? or Draw while looking at your hands?

There are 2 types of art tablet ppl these days. Ones that need to draw on displays like Cintiq and Surface, and ones who prefer to draw on old fashioned drawing slabs. The latter group simply got use to using simple tablets and eventually got good at it with it and find it annoying have their hand between the image they are making.

The none screen tablets/slabs require much steeper learning curve. You will probably quit. Some of those quitter then eventually seek out a pen display tablet like Cintiq or Surface.

Obviously pen display tablets have much higher cost barrier. But it's not bad as it use to be. If you can deal with Windows, you can get a powerful and decent sized tablet with Wacom pen for about $400 for 12" and $280 for 10.8". If you must attach one to a Mac, then you need to spend over $500 on the average.

Draper

I love the fact that it's here and it's good overall, but I have some problems with it.

The biggest problem I have with it is just because I am use to how pressure sensitive EMR pens have worked for last 3 decades: It won't make marks until you press down on the load sensor in the pen tip and physically engage it. Wacom's been making load sensors for decades and they have the best ones. So they can still let you have really low Initial Activation Force (currently 1 gram) while taking this approach that mimics using physical media.

Apple's load sensor is probably not as good, so they decided to entirely circumvent it by allowing the developers let you make initial mark with the pen (pressure level 1) just by breaking the electro static field of the touch layer. So essentially, you have IAF of 0 grams, which I guess is great on paper, but fucks my ass up. Drawing with it never feels right to me. They do it real subtle too. This level 1 of pressure only let's you make the faintest of marks, but I notice it. It just goes against 2+ decades of my muscle memory.

But I suppose if you are just starting out in digital drawing, you'd get use to this quickly and will not matter. Other problems I have with it is the tip material being way too slippery and too broad. Doesn't feel as precise as thinner tips on Wacom AES and NTrig/MPP pens. Also lack of barrel buttons is a bummer, but that might be more related being stuck on iOS than anything.

But obviously it does tilt that they didn't use to. And the touch panel iPad Pro uses has much finer digitizer grid so it does the really slow diagonal line test with much less jitter than AES and MPP currently.

Overall, it's a good pen. I just can't do my best drawings on it, that's all. :/

Good deal, thanks for the info. I wonder if they're going to introduce the next Pencil iteration at this next event.

Good deal, thanks for the info. I wonder if they're going to introduce the next Pencil iteration at this next event.

That seems too soon. Apple don't respond to complaints on their designs that quickly, and I think most ppl's complaint is the how awkwardly it charges. They can do simple running changes for things like using different material for the tip cap without introducing a brand new Pencil.

Also if it was $50, I think ppl would be fine with a new model, but @ $100 it might make many angry...

Rootbeer

Banned
bestbuy.com shipped my wacom pen, even though the listing still says it's for preorder and not yet in stock.

Guess I better get my yoga 720 this week to go with.

CDX

Remember we just talked about this beast? The ONLY Pen enabled 2 in 1 with both Quad Core i7 AND discrete GPU?

This top of the line config available @ Best Buy (7700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, 4K screen, GTX 1050M) was $1399.99 last week. Now it's $100 less @ $1299.99!. They even have "perfect condition" open box for $1169.99 and "Certified" open box for $1208.99!

The only config more packed than this one has 1TB SSD instead of 512GB at Lenovo website for $1650 ($1500 after eCoupon). I don't think 512GB more for the SSD, NVMe or not, is worth $200.

Wait. Wacom's new unreleased Bamboo Ink Smart stylus might add tilt? And it might work on the Lenovo Yoga 720?

I hope that turns out to be true next week or whenever the new stylus is released.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wait. Wacom's new unreleased Bamboo Ink Smart stylus might add tilt? And it might work on the Lenovo Yoga 720?

I hope that turns out to be true next week or whenever the new stylus is released.
It's released. BB just shipped me one. Lol. Might have it by Friday

I think tilt is already mostly confirmed for noninclusion

It will work on Yoga 720 for sure, and all other AES devices as well as N-Trig devices. That's not the question.

The question is whether it has the second coil necessary for tilt. And whether Lenovo and others will roll out the firmware update necessary to make tilt work if the pen does have the second coil.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I am not sure I will mind not seeing my hand, I guess it's something that I will just have to try. Is there any on-screen indicator to determine where my hand has been hovering over the tablet, or is that a thing that is not possible? Otherwise it might be best just to spend the 280 to get the refurbished Dell screen that you showed. Is there any delay in drawing one way the other on the Wacom tablets or Dell tablet stream, and is that something I will just have to get used to if it's is always present.

bestbuy.com shipped my wacom pen, even though the listing still says it's for preorder and not yet in stock.

Guess I better get my yoga 720 this week to go with.

Now you can take one for the team and slice that pen in half with a water jet to see if there is a second coil! :D

Or we can just wait for Wacom to announce the features officially on 31st...

I am not sure I will mind not seeing my hand, I guess it's something that I will just have to try. Is there any on-screen indicator to determine where my hand has been hovering over the tablet, or is that a thing that is not possible? Otherwise it might be best just to spend the 280 to get the refurbished Dell screen that you showed. Is there any delay in drawing one way the other on the Wacom tablets or Dell tablet stream, and is that something I will just have to get used to if it's is always present.

There is always some kind of cursor indicator on Windows, even in drawing apps. So when you use a plain slab tablet, you look at that while you draw.

That $280 Dell is pretty beefy, with 6th gen Core M5, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB SSD. Only thing you need to be aware is the screen size. 10.8" isn't big. But it's bigger than your regular iPad so if you are good with that, it would be a fantastic first art tablet.

It certainly seems to be a really good deal, especially for $280.

It's a ridiculous deal. No reason for anyone to buy an Atom CPU tablet with that deal around. And I saw the keyboard dock for those things on eBay for around $50 if you want to make it work like a laptop later. But you can simply attach a cheap USB keyboard for your sketching/drawing purposes for now.

chekhonte

Are there better pens available for the surface pro 3? I went into my Windows store yesterday but I was informed that their new pen isn't coming out for months. Tilt seems like something I'd want for especially for imitating charcoal.

Rootbeer

Banned
Picked up a Yoga 720, Best Buy model. 12 months financing made it a pretty easy buy. I'll give impressions after my wacom pen arrives (hopefully Saturday)

Are there better pens available for the surface pro 3? I went into my Windows store yesterday but I was informed that their new pen isn't coming out for months. Tilt seems like something I'd want for especially for imitating charcoal.

We shall see if the new Wacom Bamboo Ink dual protocol pen will have second coil for tilt or not. We'll find out on 31st.

Picked up a Yoga 720, Best Buy model. 12 months financing made it a pretty easy buy. I'll give impressions after my wacom pen arrives (hopefully Saturday)

I don't mind telling you that I'm jelly right now...

The Bamboo Ink Smart dual protocol pen is OUT. You can pick yours up at your local Best Buy. Make sure they fetch you the right one. Model # on the box should say CS321AK.

Probably don't have tilt, but it does have the much lower Initial Activation Force then any N-trig pen (1 gram). The new Surface Pro pen has "lower than 9 grams" IAF. So if you find that you find the Surface Pro/Book/Studio pen experience not as sensitive as your Wacom pens, this is the pen to get.

NOTE: Pen latency is dependent on the digitizer so unless you use it on the New Surface Pro, it will be around 45ms. But if you use this pen on the New Surface Pro, it should have the same 21ms latency as the new Surface Pro pen.

I hope to finish my freelance soon and be able to grab one for myself either tomorrow or Saturday, but I already enjoy 1 gram IAF with my Wacom AES devices so I'm not in a hurry.

chekhonte

I got my surface pro in. I see what you mean about the 9 grams of activation force. It makes cross hatching a little awkward especially since I draw from the elbow which doesn't allow for precise pressure. I'll have to get a better pen.

EDIT: bestbuy still says that the bamboo pen is a preorder.

Getting pretty interested in that Yoga 720. I don't see anything in the manual about removable battery and it's too fresh for their to be any guides, apparently. It looks like the battery is not removable like a traditional laptop, but can a user still manage to replace it easily enough? Or is it just made not to be touched my the consumer? Permanent battery makes me suspicious of the longevity of the machine.

chekhonte

Getting pretty interested in that Yoga 720. I don't see anything in the manual about removable battery and it's too fresh for their to be any guides, apparently. It looks like the battery is not removable like a traditional laptop, but can a user still manage to replace it easily enough? Or is it just made not to be touched my the consumer? Permanent battery makes me suspicious of the longevity of the machine.

I have had several computers that had internal batteries and they all were easily replaceable. open up the bottom, find the screws holding the battery in and pull out the battery. I replaced one in a dell not too long ago and it was very easy.

Ive pulled one in a lenovo 2 in 1 when i swapped a hard drive also very easy.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm not willing to open mine because i'm still within the return period and I need to cover my ass just in case I need to bring it back.

But here is a video showing the Yoga 720 being opened. The Battery DOES look replaceable but I'm no expert. I've actually never needed to do that on a laptop before, also, most of my laptops have been macs so yeah...

You can also very easily swap in different storage and ram. Shog had stuff to say about this earlier in the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkpcFPmr4ig

The Yoga 720 is the first non-Apple laptop I've bought in 12 years so I'm hoping this works out.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Is Clip Studio Pro the program to get? I only have an old version of Photoshop right now and want to get the right thing to start off.

Rootbeer

Banned
Is Clip Studio Pro the program to get? I only have an old version of Photoshop right now and want to get the right thing to start off.
For drawing and painting it's excellent. It's also cheap. I still like having Photoshop around for plenty of other reasons though.

I think you can try it for free right? See how you like it.

It's previously been marketed as Manga Studio 5 (and earlier versions, at least the English versions) So you can find lots of tutorial material if you search for MS5 and/or CSP on youtube, DA, tumblr (yeah, found some great material there before), etc.

I got my surface pro in. I see what you mean about the 9 grams of activation force. It makes cross hatching a little awkward especially since I draw from the elbow which doesn't allow for precise pressure. I'll have to get a better pen.

EDIT: bestbuy still says that the bamboo pen is a preorder.

BestBuy.com is honoring Wacom's release date. Best Buy brick and mortar stores are not. You can walk into brick and mortar store and buy it.

Wish me luck! Going to play around with it tonight!

hoiU3b4h.jpg

Excitement! Anticipation!! Have fun!!!

And yes, Clip Studio Paint IMO is the best drawing app. But if you don't want to spend that much, down load the free version of Sketchable and try that. It's a much simpler app but has decent pen behavior (but not as good or comprehensive as CSP).

chekhonte

BestBuy.com is honoring Wacom's release date. Best Buy brick and mortar stores are not. You can walk into brick and mortar store and buy it.

Excitement! Anticipation!! Have fun!!!

And yes, Clip Studio Paint IMO is the best drawing app. But if you don't want to spend that much, down load the free version of Sketchable and try that. It's a much simpler app but has decent pen behavior (but not as good or comprehensive as CSP).

Well shucks. I'm going to go pick one up then.

I have had several computers that had internal batteries and they all were easily replaceable. open up the bottom, find the screws holding the battery in and pull out the battery. I replaced one in a dell not too long ago and it was very easy.

Ive pulled one in a lenovo 2 in 1 when i swapped a hard drive also very easy.

I'm not willing to open mine because i'm still within the return period and I need to cover my ass just in case I need to bring it back.

But here is a video showing the Yoga 720 being opened. The Battery DOES look replaceable but I'm no expert. I've actually never needed to do that on a laptop before, also, most of my laptops have been macs so yeah...

You can also very easily swap in different storage and ram. Shog had stuff to say about this earlier in the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkpcFPmr4ig

The Yoga 720 is the first non-Apple laptop I've bought in 12 years so I'm hoping this works out.

Okay thanks. So you just get the back off and it's right there.
I was afraid it might have more in common with a tablet than a laptop. I looked into replacing the battery on my tablet once and it was like "Use a heat gun on this and remove half the components to find the battery..." and I just said nooooo way.

This doesn't look bad.

Top Bottom