• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-9...ffcode=pg226990&ksdevice=t&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

With a pc tablet she'll spend more time fidgeting with horrible touch controls, apps not well designed for tablets, slow drawing speed unless you buy a real quality tablet, and probably a shoddy screen, instead of focusing on drawing.

You're too quick to just look at specs versus the actual usability of tablets.

as for the price, I'd rather pay a little extra now for something that won't last. I should I know, a bought my share of tablet PCs.

As for the bad habit drawing small...depends on what kind of artist you are. Drawing lets you nicer line strokes, but I find drawing smaller lets me focus on design and composition. I would argue drawing digitally period forces you into bad habits at an early age, but that's another argument.

The best answer is he should go to a store and try out as many tablets as possible.

That iPad Pro 9.7 deal is still over $600 with Apple Pencil and tax and whatnot.

As for usability, it really depends on the app. Looks at something like Procreate vs Bamboo Paper on iOS. Clearly Procreate is much more capable and comprehensive than Paper. But it's also less "usable" in your sense that comprehensiveness of the app takes away ease and simplicity vs Bamboo Paper. Extend that thought to Windows too. Using Photoshop CC and Painter can be pain in the A on tablets. But if you download things like Sketchable and Sketchbook, you are back to simple and high usability right out of the gate.

I still have my Asus Vivotab Note 8 (still works lol) It's nigh useless in specs these days. But with keeping the thing in Tablet mode for Windows 10, and only using Sketchable and Squid/Papyrus, usability is out this world. I keep it around basically as my Squid device frankly. As long as she still works, she is perfectly capable in that role.

Also, the quality of tablets since Surface Pro 3 has increased exponentially. It's no longer the days of Toshiba M800 and such. These days, even at $250 like that Transformer Mini is VERY high, with quality IPS screens, Gorilla Glass, and premimum materials. That Transformer Mini is crazy deal. Aluminum/metal chassis to boot. And the fact that you can get something like Core M7/8GB/256GB Miix 700 preminum metal body, SP3 quality screen, watchband hinge etc. for the same money as iPad Pro 9.7 is unbelievable value. And you can use Miix 700 in just as simplistic and "usable" mode, hiding all the Windows desktop complexities by using apps like Sketchable and Squid in Tablet mode (or as I call it, Idiocracy mode).

As for drawing small, the first thing I have to do as drawing teacher was to break their terrible habit of only drawing with their wrists and fingers. Those terrible habit form because they were usually drawing tiny on margins of their notebooks back in high school. So I like to see ppl using at least 12" tablets for art. 10" and smaller is not ideal for a beginner.

Hey Shog, thoughts on the surface pro 5 pen?

I hate the fact that MS concentrated on reducing latency rather than reducing IAF. Current level of latency doesn't matter to me since I'm not a newb watching the lines come out as I draw. I know what I told my hand to draw. You know what I mean?

IAF on Surface pens always bothered me. Such high IAF makes rest of the pressure cruve feel clunky. Apple Pencil has similar but different problem for me. They circumvented their load sensor IAF by using breaking of the capacitive touch electro static barrier as level 1 of pressure. This forces rest of the pressure curve to suffer from annoying S curve behavior, with slow uptake of pressure initially until blowing it out in later part of the curve.

Pressure curve on Wacom pens always have been linear and predicatable. Ultra low physical IAF is the key to that. MS should have conquered IAF first personally, but they are aiming for digital ink newbs which I guess I understand.

At least tilt is a nice addition I guess but I hardly use tilt brushed on my Cintiq lol.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I hate the fact that MS concentrated on reducing latency rather than reducing IAF. Current level of latency doesn't matter to me since I'm not a newb watching the lines come out as I draw. I know what I told my hand to draw. You know what I mean?

IAF on Surface pens always bothered me. Such high IAF makes rest of the pressure cruve feel clunky. Apple Pencil has similar but different problem for me. They circumvented their load sensor IAF by using breaking of the capacitive touch electro static barrier as level 1 of pressure. This forces rest of the pressure curve to suffer from annoying S curve behavior, with slow uptake of pressure initially until blowing it out in later part of the curve.

Pressure curve on Wacom pens always have been linear and predicatable. Ultra low physical IAF is the key to that. MS should have conquered IAF first personally, but they are aiming for digital ink newbs which I guess I understand.

At least tilt is a nice addition I guess but I hardly use tilt brushed on my Cintiq lol.

Shitty IAF is what kept me from the surface pro in the first place. I tend to have a light touch when drawing, heavy when painting... Go figure.

I feel the same about tilt, I use it more on the iPad than on my cintoq. Wacom nibs/pens aren't built for tilt. The plastic case touches the screen too soon. It's like drawing with with a side of a ball point pen, and not a piece of charcoal.

Shitty IAF is what kept me from the surface pro in the first place. I tend to have a light touch when drawing, heavy when painting... Go figure.

I feel the same about tilt, I use it more on the iPad than on my cintoq. Wacom nibs/pens aren't built for tilt. The plastic case touches the screen too soon. It's like drawing with with a side of a ball point pen, and not a piece of charcoal.

Are you talking about SP3 or SP1? SP1 had Wacom EMR and had great IAF. You are probably talking about SP3 right?

As for tilt, I think we have different reasons for not using it. I just find it silly, just like having eraser on the back of the stylus. These things IMO are anachronistic throw back to analog. If the feature is beneficial in efficiency or capability, or flexibility, I'm all for it. But just because it reminds you of how you use to do things is a terrible reason IMO.

For instance, the gen 2 Surface pen IMO is a HUGE step back from gen 1 pens from SP3 when they moved the eraser function from a barrel button to the back of the pen. STUPID. Not only did you lose the ability to have a pressure sensitive eraser (now it's just ON and OFF), but you have to re-grip your damn pen to use it losing time and jarring you out of your flow? WHY FUCK FUCK WOULD I WANT THAT?!?

Similar reasoning goes for not using pen tilt. Yes, you could make an argument that it allows you to enter a secondary mode for the brush very quickly, but the way the Apple Pencil implements it is pretty annoying: you have to tilt the pen so much that you have to re-grip the pencil in a different manner. STUPID. I'd much rather push a single keyboard key or tap another brush icon to access another brush mode than re-grip the pen. I think Wacom's tllt is more efficient since you don't have to tilt as much and you don't have to re-grip the pen, but I don't use it either since I find using entirely another brush much more efficient than entering a secondary pen expression that often impedes the operations of the primary pressure expression anyways.

The lesson IMO for digital is, if you intend to ape the analog usage paradigm, you often end up making things less efficient. I do digital to be faster, more efficient and ultimately to be lazier; not to mimic old habits from analog.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Are you talking about SP3 or SP1? SP1 had Wacom EMR and had great IAF. You are probably talking about SP3 right?

As for tilt, I think we have different reasons for not using it. I just find it silly, just like having eraser on the back of the stylus. These things IMO are anachronistic throw back to analog. If the feature is beneficial in efficiency or capability, or flexibility, I'm all for it. But just because it reminds you of how you use to do things is a terrible reason IMO.

For instance, the gen 2 Surface pen IMO is a HUGE step back from gen 1 pens from SP3 when they moved the eraser function from a barrel button to the back of the pen. STUPID. Not only did you lose the ability to have a pressure sensitive eraser (now it's just ON and OFF), but you have to re-grip your damn pen to use it losing time and jarring you out of your flow? WHY FUCK FUCK WOULD I WANT THAT?!?

Similar reasoning goes for not using pen tilt. Yes, you could make an argument that it allows you to enter a secondary mode for the brush very quickly, but the way the Apple Pencil implements it is pretty annoying: you have to tilt the pen so much that you have to re-grip the pencil in a different manner. STUPID. I'd much rather push a single keyboard key or tap another brush icon to access another brush mode than re-grip the pen. I think Wacom's tllt is more efficient since you don't have to tilt as much and you don't have to re-grip the pen, but I don't use it either since I find using entirely another brush much more efficient than entering a secondary pen expression that often impedes the operations of the primary pressure expression anyways.

The lesson IMO for digital is, if you intend to ape the analog usage paradigm, you often end up making things less efficient. I do digital to be faster, more efficient and ultimately to be lazier; not to mimic old habits from analog.

It's interesting how different people use the tools. I tend to like the variations caused by the tilting on of the Pencil. Feels like it picks up the subtle shifts in my drawing the way a pencil would.ive seen your stuff a while back so I can see how that could get in the way of your work.

I hope Apple some manages to thin out the tip a bit in the next design. It's Probably my only gripe at the moment. Would love if Wacom somehow managed to steal the apples tip design, love that thing.

And I was talking about the N trig surface models.

It's interesting how different people use the tools. I tend to like the variations caused by the tilting on of the Pencil. Feels like it picks up the subtle shifts in my drawing the way a pencil would.ive seen your stuff a while back so I can see how that could get in the way of your work.

I hope Apple some manages to thin out the tip a bit in the next design. It's Probably my only gripe at the moment. Would love if Wacom somehow managed to steal the apples tip design, love that thing.

And I was talking about the N trig surface models.

Huawei decided to ape the Apple Pencil's tip design in their AES pen. But it doesn't have tilt so it just has the blunty tip for no good reason lol. But some people love it. Rick from Surface Pro Artist blog loves it. I find it entirely silly. Gimme the thin tip over that any day of the week.

Yes, there are so many variance in preferences when it comes to pens. And even when it comes to how pen pressure is mapped. Even with the same hardware, what apps you use makes a huge difference for pressure curve behavior. For instance, I HATE the pressure curve behavior of all the brushes in Sketchable, while many love it. For me, it's too tailored for N-Trig's IAF and subsequent pressure curve that tends to blow out towards the heavier pressure. It feels like fucking garbage to me even when I use Wacom AES devices with the app.

For me, nothing beats the brushes in Clip Studio Paint. I'd make sweet love to its' pressure curve behavior all damn day long...

Ran rp

If a pen has tilt functionality does that mean it's also capable of rotation? I remember trying a wacom tablet at school once and it blew my mind that I could twist the brushes around. My main wish for UC-Logic tablets was to adopt that feature because it was fantastic for non-round brushes, but larger wacom tablets were too expensive for me.

PSY・S;238456101 said:
If a pen has tilt functionality does that mean it's also capable of rotation? I remember trying a wacom tablet at school once and it blew my mind that I could twist the brushes around. My main wish for UC-Logic tablets was to adapt that feature because it was fantastic for non-round brushes, but larger wacom tablets were too expensive for me.

With the second coil, if it is offset laterally, it can be certainly made to sense rotation. But whether or not Wacom will allow that in firmware is entirely a different question.

Wacom loves money. I think asking their $70 pen to have tilt is a bit of stretch. Their Intuos Pro and Cintiq pens are also $70 and have tilt, but they manage that with only one coil because they are still using EMR. With AES, you need a second coil for tilt, and that adds cost. And the Bamboo Ink Smart already has a more expensive board to communicate with both MPP and AES digitizers vs $40 AES only pens...

Ran rp

With the second coil, if it is offset laterally, it can be certainly made to sense rotation. But whether or not Wacom will allow that in firmware is entirely a different question.

Wacom loves money. I think asking their $70 pen to have tilt is a bit of stretch. Their Intuos Pro and Cintiq pens are also $70 and have tilt, but they manage that with only one coil because they are still using EMR. With AES, you need a second coil for tilt, and that adds cost. And the Bamboo Ink Smart already has a more expensive board to communicate with both MPP and AES digitizers vs $40 AES only pens...

Good to know, thanks. If they ever make a dual protocol pen with rotation and I have a tablet that supports it I'd be willing to pay ~$100 for it. It'd be worth it just to be able to turn a simple square brush.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Omission of Surface Laptop for tilt compatibility is so curious... I wonder of it's Windows S related or digitizer hardware related...
Maybe just a design choice. Tilting the laptop screen for writing would seem awkward. I think they mainly intend it for finger touching rather than stylus.

I could be wrong though. A complete omission does seem odd. Atleast give people a choice.

Maybe just a design choice. Tilting the laptop screen for writing would seem awkward. I think they mainly intend it for finger touching rather than stylus.

I could be wrong though. A complete omission does seem odd. Atleast give people a choice.

You can already use the pen on the Surface Laptop. Why just omit the pen tilt function only on that machine? It's not like the tilt requires a different digitizer board. Even lowly Surface 3 will get the pen tilt support later. And it's unlikely they made entirely different digitizer board for the Laptop

The only stand out difference to the Surface Laptop is the OS (Win 10S).

Thanks for the reply!

That first one would be great if it were in stock. :)

Spec-wise, what do I want to look for? Is the ASUS you linked to going to be too limiting?

The Asus will be limiting for adults/teens. For them. I would aim for minimum of 6th gen Core M3. 4GB of RAM, and 128GB of SSD (not eMMC).

But your daughter is very young, so if she gets good 3 years from that $250 device, I'd call that a win. You can buy her something much better when she is around 14~15yo.

As for drawing small, the first thing I have to do as drawing teacher was to break their terrible habit of only drawing with their wrists and fingers. Those terrible habit form because they were usually drawing tiny on margins of their notebooks back in high school. So I like to see ppl using at least 12" tablets for art. 10" and smaller is not ideal for a beginner.
This is so true. I regret starting out with a small tablet.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
You can already use the pen on the Surface Laptop. Why just omit the pen tilt function only on that machine? It's not like the tilt requires a different digitizer board. Even lowly Surface 3 will get the pen tilt support later. And it's unlikely they made entirely different digitizer board for the Laptop

The only stand out difference to the Surface Laptop is the OS (Win 10S).
True. I just think the movement of tilting a pen on a laptop seems odd. But the complete lack of choice is odd.

Could just be a typo.

True. I just think the movement of tilting a pen on a laptop seems odd. But the complete lack of choice is odd.

Could just be a typo.

Not a typo since they bothered to add all the words involved in excluding just the Surface Laptop. I think it's Windows 10 S reasons.

But then again I think the Surface Laptop is a horrible deal. You can get Cube Thinker i35 and buy a Windows license for $15 or whatever from eBay and rock the same display as Surface Book. $600 gets you Core M3, 8GB of RAM abd 256GB SSD with it for the nest 15 hours.

Here's a video review for the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HVe2lc1W44&t=414s

chekhonte

I'm definitely getting that new surface pen day one. I'll write a some impression compared to the surface pen 3 and my limited experience with the xl inturos pro 2013 model that I had before giving up on digital drawing. I hated the disconnect between the drawing surface and the display.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-1...00006400|5374:Tech|5079:5000006415&rmvSB=true

This is probably a factory refurb, but in either case it does come with 1 yr MS warranty. It's a killer deal since it comes with pen and type cover.

97.8% rating for the seller @ over 10K. "Limited quantity available". Not much to risk as buyer on eBay these days...

4456400_sd.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...lid-state-drive-black/4456400.p?skuId=4456400

This is the exact same model I use to own (20FY0002US). 14" 1080p IPS with Wacom AES. It's got 6200U Core i5, 8GB RAM that can be upgraded to 16GB, 256GB 2.5" SSD, and a GeFore 940M to boot. Weighs about 4.2 lbs. Tight fit inside but it's got a spare 2242 M.2 slot that can run another SATA SSD in it. Comes with silo AES rechargeable pen.

It's very nice and quality device. I only gave it up to go bigger (15.6"). Kinda regret it...

It's now on clearance on Best Buy. I was happy with it @ $950. @ $750, it's a great deal.

Is 1080p too low res for a 14 inch?

If 157ppi too low, then I guess Cintiq users must be chucking their rigs left and right. ;)

Cintiq 22HD is 100ppi, 24HD is 92ppi, and 27QHD is 109ppi. Surface Studio BTW is only like 193ppi even with it's 4500x3000 resolution because it's 28" big.

PPI really only matters when it comes to UI for apps, and you can always mess with Window s UI scaling. The image canvas size should be set to way bigger than display resolution. My default canvas size in Clip Studio Paint is 7000x5000. Software zooming does its interpolation magic and things look super crisp in 1080p.

At 100% scaling, I found Photoshop's UI too fiddly small with 1080p on 14" screen anyways.

Is availabilty of Lenovo in Europe always so spotty?

I've been checking their UK website for the Yoga 720 15" 4K; and it goes from one day only the base model (no options) available to the next no models availble at all.

Rather frustrating as I've got the money burning a hole in my pocket for one of these.

batrush

Ended up splurging on an iPad Pro 9.7 ($500), Smart keyboad, and Apple pencil yesterday. Used a Surface Pro 4 before it. Don't know if I'm going to keep it, or just get the new Surface Pro in the next few weeks. I don't need a full computer, but it would be nice to not need to carry both my regular laptop + a tablet with me most days. The Apple pencil took a bit of time to get used to but I'm liking it as much as the Surface pen now.

chekhonte

What is the IAF of the new surface pen? I'm reading contradictory information. Some say 9 grams some say 12 and a MS rep said 6.

I am dying for any kind of new ETA for the Dell Canvas. Their tight lipped approach after blowing through their promised window of "March/April" is driving me up the wall.

My current Cintiq is slowly but surely dying and I need to secure a replacement, the longer Dell takes, the harder it is to justify waiting because I need it for my work.

Has anyone heard anything?

I am dying for any kind of new ETA for the Dell Canvas. Their tight lipped approach after blowing through their promised window of "March/April" is driving me up the wall.

My current Cintiq is slowly but surely dying and I need to secure a replacement, the longer Dell takes, the harder it is to justify waiting because I need it for my work.

Has anyone heard anything?
I think you should call their sales line. It might take a while to get info otherwise.

chekhonte

A member of the Surface team tweeted out "less than 9 grams".

That should work. I can't wait until I can give it a try. The Windows Store near me said that they have been begging to get demo units of the new pens because there are a lot of people that have come in for that reason.

In addition to the $660 i5/4GB/128GB SP4 + type cover and pen deal covered earlier (still going), this new deal is for those who need 8GB of RAM in their machine.

RW7NU9

This deal is pretty damn complete, and comes with 2 year accidental coverage warranty from Microsoft. Core i5 6200U, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB SSD is probably the more sound configuration offered for SP4. And with addition of type cover, pen, arc mouse, and the warranty, you should be pretty much set.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-GX5VOu18BWEKcltd.T9xGg)()

I just ordered a used Thinkpad Yoga 14 from Ebay.

i5, 8GB of RAM, 940M, includes an active pen, $450.

This almost sounds too good to be true.

I just ordered a used Thinkpad Yoga 14 from Ebay.

i5, 8GB of RAM, 940M, includes an active pen, $450.

This almost sounds too good to be true.

Did you make sure it was 20FY or 20DM series? If it was 20VE series, it won't have pen digitizer. As long as it has 5th or 6th gen Core i5, you should be OK. 4th gen Core i5 means it's 20VE with no pen.

I've seen lot of ppl use this. I'm not a big fan of screen buttons so I don't know how good it is...

True. Let us know how you like it (or not) after using it.

So I've played around with it for a while and I'll probably end up getting it. (There's a two week trial you can get) Sometimes there's a delay when hitting the button but that just might be user error while getting use to the layout. (Or I may need more space between buttons, my fat finger might be hitting more than one)

Here's the layout I've been tweaking

IALtz1L.jpg

PROs: Really easy to customize. No messing with code like in Paintdock. This has its own Manager to label, resize and change layout of the buttons.

CONs: There's no auto hide feature, that I see, so you can't stack this ontop of your existing toolbar and hover over it with your stylus and have it disappear. That means you have to make room for it, which some may not appreciate it shrinking your work space. But because of this it does allow you to make tiny buttons like the arrow keys and tap them with your stylus.

When you open it, the tool bar always starts in the corner of the screen and you have to move it into position every time. There might be a solution in manager to this that I haven't found yet.

Minor complaint with the icons. There's a ton with really no order and no way to search, you just scroll til you find something close. The selection is really odd too like a bunch of licensed logos, who needs a Star Wars Rebel logo but no Transform icon? Typing this out makes me wonder if there's a folder where I can either add or modify the picture icons.

So I've played around with it for a while and I'll probably end up getting it. (There's a two week trial you can get) Sometimes there's a delay when hitting the button but that just might be user error while getting use to the layout. (Or I may need more space between buttons, my fat finger might be hitting more than one)

Here's the layout I've been tweaking

IALtz1L.jpg

PROs: Really easy to customize. No messing with code like in Paintdock. This has its own Manager to label, resize and change layout of the buttons.

CONs: There's no auto hide feature, that I see, so you can't stack this ontop of your existing toolbar and hover over it with your stylus and have it disappear. That means you have to make room for it, which some may not appreciate it shrinking your work space. But because of this it does allow you to make tiny buttons like the arrow keys and tap them with your stylus.

When you open it, the tool bar always starts in the corner of the screen and you have to move it into position every time. There might be a solution in manager to this that I haven't found yet.

Minor complaint with the icons. There's a ton with really no order and no way to search, you just scroll til you find something close. The selection is really odd too like a bunch of licensed logos, who needs a Star Wars Rebel logo but no Transform icon? Typing this out makes me wonder if there's a folder where I can either add or modify the picture icons.
I've found a better, more tactile solution.

https://youtu.be/ZKVclH-fZh0

CDX

New iPad Pros will have a 120hz variable refresh rate screen.

The same old Apple pencil will now have only 20ms of latency on the new iPad Pros. Surpassing Microsofts recently announced 21ms on the new Surface Pros.

No mention of IAF levels.

A file manager is finally coming this fall to the iPad Pro with iOS 11.

No mention of any ability to use the iPad Pro as an external screen on Macs.

Did you make sure it was 20FY or 20DM series? If it was 20VE series, it won't have pen digitizer. As long as it has 5th or 6th gen Core i5, you should be OK. 4th gen Core i5 means it's 20VE with no pen.

Got the i5 5200U, so I should be okay? Also the 20DM series, so I think I'm goooooood.

New iPad Pros will have a 120hz variable refresh rate screen.

The same old Apple pencil will now have only 20ms of latency on the new iPad Pros. Surpassing Microsofts recently announced 21ms on the new Surface Pros.

No mention of IAF levels.

A file manager is finally coming this fall to the iPad Pro with iOS 11.

No mention of any ability to use the iPad Pro as an external screen on Macs.

Lower latency for the pen was the last thing on my wish list for both MS and Apple. None of these jokers gets it when it comes to pens. IAF is always king. Apple already cheats this by circumventing the pen's IAF for level 1 of pressure, so whatever I guess.

The one thing I wanted from iPad Pro update was not mentioned anywhere, so I'll assume it didn't make it: I wanted the lightening port to be Thunderbolt capable so you can run the screen at native resolution and refresh via a cable as Cintiq like second monitor to a Mac. Without it, you are still stuck with 30Hz 1024x768 res via Astropad. Way to use that 120Hz screen...

Got the i5 5200U, so I should be okay? Also the 20DM series, so I think I'm goooooood.

You are good. Nice find!

Top Bottom