• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

Any thoughts on the Cintiq Companion? I'm looking at a refurbished one running Jellybean, but I'm hesitant.

Not a fan. Too heavy, too noisy, too little battery life. I think Wacom sucks at making computers.

If I'm buying something that heavy and short in battery life, it better be quad core i7 with beffy GPU, not a dual core ULV with Intel GPU.

Esqueleto

Banned
Edit : Gone
Since upgrading to the EX version cost the same as buying it outright, I got a spare code for the pro version. Don't really need it so first person to ask for it gets it.

Edzi

A lot of people have been recommending the Yoga 720, but which model exactly? Base model is $1000 with no dedicated GPU and only 8GB of memory, so is that enough? Or is it worth it to pay hundreds more for the GPU/16GB ram increase? Art isn't my primary reason for wanting a laptop, but I want it to be capable enough so that I could use it for some basic digital art practice down the line.

A lot of people have been recommending the Yoga 720, but which model exactly? Base model is $1000 with no dedicated GPU and only 8GB of memory, so is that enough? Or is it worth it to pay hundreds more for the GPU/16GB ram increase? Art isn't my primary reason for wanting a laptop, but I want it to be capable enough so that I could use it for some basic digital art practice down the line.

There is currently a web special at Lenovo.com for GTX1050M version with 1080p screen for $1050 after "instant savings" of $210. Go for that. Well worth the $50 additional for the GPU.

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/700-series/Yoga-720-15/p/88YG7000828

As for the RAM, the 8GB is soldered on the mobo and there is an empty SoDIMM slot that you can shove in a 8GB SoDIMM for easy 16GB upgrade in dual channel mode (or shove in a 16GB SoDIMM for 24GB in single channel mode).

There is currently a web special at Lenovo.com for GTX1050M version with 1080p screen for $1050 after "instant savings" of $210. Go for that. Well worth the $50 additional for the GPU.

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/700-series/Yoga-720-15/p/88YG7000828.

This looks fantastic! Unfortunately, no sale on my countrys lenovo!

Shog; Do you think that the next Nvidia tech (Volta) will be as significant as Pascal? I know the waiting game is always a mixed back. I wonder what this will look like with the GTX 1150 (if it will be named that). Will it have 4GB vram instead of 2?

This looks fantastic! Unfortunately, no sale on my countrys lenovo!

Shog; Do you think that the next Nvidia tech (Volta) will be as significant as Pascal? I know the waiting game is always a mixed back. I wonder what this will look like with the GTX 1150 (if it will be named that). Will it have 4GB vram instead of 2?

I'm sure Volta will be a decent enough jump from Pascal, but as with these things, waiting will change much more than just the GPU option. There will be significant CPU changes by then, such as availability of 15W quad core i7. Maybe there will even be hexa or octa core 45W i7 by then.

BTW if 4GB of GDDR4 is important for you, some European models of Yoga 720 supposedly comes with 4GB GPU later. Not much worth the waiting if you are going for 1080p LCD IMO.

Edzi

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/700-series/Yoga-720-15/p/88YG7000828

As for the RAM, the 8GB is soldered on the mobo and there is an empty SoDIMM slot that you can shove in a 8GB SoDIMM for easy 16GB upgrade in dual channel mode (or shove in a 16GB SoDIMM for 24GB in single channel mode).

Thanks, this seems to be a great deal. How necessary would you say upgrading from 8 gb to 16 is? I don't know how comfortable I am with the idea of opening up a brand new laptop for upgrades unless it's considered pretty important to do so.

clav

I'm sure Volta will be a decent enough jump from Pascal, but as with these things, waiting will change much more than just the GPU option. There will be significant CPU changes by then, such as availability of 15W quad core i7. Maybe there will even be hexa or octa core 45W i7 by then.

I think Volta will bring HDMI 2.1 to graphics cards, which ultimately will mean VRR for everyone who plays games or watches video.

As for CPUs, we might see Windows on ARM reappear by then, and that may drive down form factors and price as x86 can't compete with ARM efficiency.

So what would you guys recommend for somebody who would use it for a little bit of everything except heavy video editing? Preferably under 700. As a teacher, I am really digging the new Microsoft whiteboard app that leaked last week.

Recently took a look at the Lenovo Miix 510. Looks like it fits your price tag although space might be low.

Thanks, this seems to be a great deal. How necessary would you say upgrading from 8 gb to 16 is? I don't know how comfortable I am with the idea of opening up a brand new laptop for upgrades unless it's considered pretty important to do so.

You will know if you need it when it pages the SSD often. I'll bet that you won't need it. If you are creating high DPI giant banners or something, or doing million poly models in Z-Brush, you will need 16GB of RAM.

I think Volta will bring HDMI 2.1 to graphics cards, which ultimately will mean VRR for everyone who plays games or watches video.

As for CPUs, we might see Windows on ARM reappear by then, and that may drive down form factors and price as x86 can't compete with ARM efficiency.

Recently took a look at the Lenovo Miix 510. Looks like it fits your price tag although space might be low.

Windows on ARM will only make impact on 8" or smaller form factors. 10" and above tablet buyers are clamoring for Core M or better, not super efficient ARM SoCs.

So I recently was given an iPad but as i'm not invested in the Apple ecosystem I'm looking to exchange it for something else. I want something for casual sketching and digital painting, nothing too serious. And general tablet functions, using it for piano tutorials and sheet music.

The iPad gives me about $330 Best Buy credit and I was eyeing the new Surface Pros. With a Student discount and the credit, it would bring that price down to less than $400. Plus I was looking for a small laptop for school in the future and that would solve that issue. But the new Surface Pros do not include the keyboard or pen, that's another $200. Any suggestions?

So I recently was given an iPad but as i'm not invested in the Apple ecosystem I'm looking to exchange it for something else. I want something for casual sketching and digital painting, nothing too serious. And general tablet functions, using it for piano tutorials and sheet music.

The iPad gives me about $330 Best Buy credit and I was eyeing the new Surface Pros. With a Student discount and the credit, it would bring that price down to less than $400. Plus I was looking for a small laptop for school in the future and that would solve that issue. But the new Surface Pros do not include the keyboard or pen, that's another $200. Any suggestions?

Does it have to be tablet form factor? What about yoga type laptop?

ryan299

Hows the lenovo yoga 720 13 inch as a computer? Played with it at bestbuy and liked it's form factor. It felt light and much better than my old macbook pro. This may be the wrong thread to ask as I'm not a drawer and don't care much for it's art abilities.

Hows the lenovo yoga 720 13 inch as a computer? Played with it at bestbuy and liked it's form factor. It felt light and much better than my old macbook pro. This may be the wrong thread to ask as I'm not a drawer and don't care much for it's art abilities.

It's pretty much like 13" MBP (no dGPU, PCIe SSD, 15W CPU) but with higher res screen (1920x1080 vs 1680x1050) and a touch screen instead of touchbar.

lord

It's pretty much like 13" MBP (no dGPU, PCIe SSD, 15W CPU) but with higher res screen (1920x1080 vs 1680x1050) and a touch screen instead of touchbar.
No way the 13in MBP with touchbar has a 1680x1050 screen
Edit: Yeah, "This model has a 13.3" color widescreen LED-backlit display with IPS technology with a 2560 by 1600 native resolution at 227 ppi (178-degree viewing angle). It has a brightness rating of 500 nits and a wide color gamut (P3), as well. It also supports scaled resolutions of 1680 by 1050, 1440 by 900, and 1024 by 640."

No way the 13in MBP with touchbar has a 1680x1050 screen
Edit: Yeah, "This model has a 13.3" color widescreen LED-backlit display with IPS technology with a 2560 by 1600 native resolution at 227 ppi (178-degree viewing angle). It has a brightness rating of 500 nits and a wide color gamut (P3), as well. It also supports scaled resolutions of 1680 by 1050, 1440 by 900, and 1024 by 640."

Oh right right. I read that wrong.

Mailbox

I'm having my eye on the miix 510 (i've seen either skylake or kabylake versions, need to look into which i should get from those) (its a surprisingly good price for me tbh) but i just wanna know what pens are compatible with it. I've seen SurfaceProArtist's spreadsheet for the miix 700, but its really hard to find any info relating to the 510 anywhere really.

Like, i've seen Lenovo straight up say that the 4X80H34887 (which is still available, but doesn't come with any extra nibs) is not compatable w/ miix 2-in-1's (which is straight up not true since it works with the 700 and the 720 apparently) while the pen they market for the miix and yoga series computers is the GX80K32882 pen (which comes with extra nibs, but is basically unavailable ANYWHERE) is just straight up scarce or hyper inflated in pricing (it should not be $97CAD but that's the lowest i've seen from a reseller)

Basically I just wanna know what AES pens are compatible. I assume the wacom ink pen is, but I wanna know if something that's easier to get my hands on is available for it.

I'm having my eye on the miix 510 (i've seen either skylake or kabylake versions, need to look into which i should get from those) (its a surprisingly good price for me tbh) but i just wanna know what pens are compatible with it. I've seen SurfaceProArtist's spreadsheet for the miix 700, but its really hard to find any info relating to the 510 anywhere really.

Like, i've seen Lenovo straight up say that the 4X80H34887 (which is still available, but doesn't come with any extra nibs) is not compatable w/ miix 2-in-1's (which is straight up not true since it works with the 700 and the 720 apparently) while the pen they market for the miix and yoga series computers is the GX80K32882 pen (which comes with extra nibs, but is basically unavailable ANYWHERE) is just straight up scarce or hyper inflated in pricing (it should not be $97CAD but that's the lowest i've seen from a reseller)

Basically I just wanna know what AES pens are compatible. I assume the wacom ink pen is, but I wanna know if something that's easier to get my hands on is available for it.
Since Miix 510 actually uses Wacom touch panel, and thus you will be able to use Wacom Wintab driver and map the pen's barrel buttons, I highely recommend skipping Lenovo's Pen Pro active pens. Their barrel buttons are impossible to quickly feel out and distinguish.

Instead, get the Bamboo Smart for Select 2 in 1. It's also only $40, it's got a protective cap, and it's got great barrel button designs that are easy to distinguish by feel.

https://us-store.wacom.com/Product/Bamboo-Smart-for-select-tablets-and-2in1-S01#/undefined1

I JUST realized that you can go as high as 32GB of RAM on the Yoga 720 15" on certain models!! Some of the high end models come with 16GB on board and nothing in the SoDIMM slot!

DrDamn

Anyone with experience of the Yoga 900s for artwork? I'm not so interested in loads of layers Photoshop but more sketching and paint packages. They seem to be selling them off in the UK so the M7/8GB/256GB SSD version is within my price range. Comes with the Lenovo active pen included.

The M7 and throttling is the limiting factor I'm worried about, though for the vast majority of use it should be fine (browsing and light office apps) - and preferred with no fan being a bonus.

Anyone with experience of the Yoga 900s for artwork? I'm not so interested in loads of layers Photoshop but more sketching and paint packages. They seem to be selling them off in the UK so the M7/8GB/256GB SSD version is within my price range. Comes with the Lenovo active pen included.

The M7 and throttling is the limiting factor I'm worried about, though for the vast majority of use it should be fine (browsing and light office apps) - and preferred with no fan being a bonus.

M7 will behave like i7 until it's cooling overhead is reached, at which point, it will throttled down appropriately. The complaint with Yoga 900S is that it's passively cooled and not much heatsink is in there, so it will throttle down aggressively. But that usually doesn't affect us 2D Photoshop users much. It's more concerning for 3D and video editing. Our operations are more in bursts, so unless you are gonna paint in the hottest days of summer with no AC for hours on end or something, I wouldn't worry too much about throttling.

BTW I'm surprised they are still selling Yoga 900S with pen in UK. They officially stopped support active pen with the 900S here in the States shortly after launch. Must have had some problems with firmware for the touch digitizer...

DrDamn

BTW I'm surprised they are still selling Yoga 900S with pen in UK. They officially stopped support active pen with the 900S here in the States shortly after launch. Must have had some problems with firmware for the touch digitizer...

Thanks for the reply. Lenovo are a bit random here, Yoga 720 was available through them but has recently disappeared with just 710 now available. We still haven't had the Miix 720 here either. Yoga 900S with M7/8GB/256GB was retailing at ~£1100 but is down to £750 with a 3 year guarantee.

What are my options pen wise if I don't get on with the Active pen? Can I just pick up one of the Wacom ones you recommend?

Thanks for the reply. Lenovo are a bit random here, Yoga 720 was available through them but has recently disappeared with just 710 now available. We still haven't had the Miix 720 here either. Yoga 900S with M7/8GB/256GB was retailing at ~£1100 but is down to £750 with a 3 year guarantee.

What are my options pen wise if I don't get on with the Active pen? Can I just pick up one of the Wacom ones you recommend?

Wacom Bamboo Smart (CS320AK) should work fine.

So ive had this laptop going for a year now.. are there any pens available for it that have a tilt function?

Wacom has yet to release their tilt enabled dual coil gen 13 pen. When they do, AES devices will require a digitizer firmware update.

Lenovo's Active Pen 2 is all likelihood a gen 13 AES pen, but we don't know it has dual coils.

Any thoughts on the Intuos Art as a beginners drawing tablet?

It's a fine tablet, but know that using a pure tablet like that as a beginner usually has discouraging effect on the user because the learning curve of drawing while looking away from your hand is so steep.

Factory refurbs from MS so it's pretty much buying new.

RE1hta7

Core i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD w onboard GPU is $883.
Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD w dGPU is $1144
Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD w dGPU is $1374
Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD w dGPU is 1766

Comes with the SP4 gen Surface pen, but if the 10 grams of IAF feels like shit to you (which it does), get the Wacom Bamboo Ink Smart at Best Buy for $69 and enjoy 1 gram of blissful IAF.

Mailbox

RE1hta7

Comes with the SP4 gen Surface pen, but if the 10 grams of IAF feels like shit to you (which it does), get the Wacom Bamboo Ink Smart at Best Buy for $69 and enjoy 1 gram of blissful IAF.

Doesn't the bamboo ink pen have around a 7 gram activation force for MPP? I'm pretty sure it's still not at 1 gram.

UrbanRats

It's a fine tablet, but know that using a pure tablet like that as a beginner usually has discouraging effect on the user because the learning curve of drawing while looking away from your hand is so steep.
Especially for drawing.
Painting in my experience wasnt as much of an issue, because of how loose you can be (especially in digital).

Doesn't the bamboo ink pen have around a 7 gram activation force for MPP? I'm pretty sure it's still not at 1 gram.

It's 1 gram if you swap the default nib for a hard plastic one (The first one in the case IIRC).The default nib is too grippy for my taste and robs few grams.

I don't know where your 7 gram figure is coming from BTW. Even with default nib, Bamboo Ink feels like about 3~4 grams. For reference, the New Surface pen is about 8~9 grams.

UrbanRats

If i were to buy a Yoga 720, what Wacom pen should i buy to go with it, that is available to purchasw in tha EU?

Wacom Bamboo Smart is, i assume, my best bet? I hope going from 2048 to 1024 lvls of pressure wont be noticeable.
I dont remember noticing it much, going from my Intuos3 to the cintiq, but i definitely did notice going feom 512 to 1024 back in the day (volito2 to intuos 3).

RE1hta7

Core i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD w onboard GPU is $883.
Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD w dGPU is $1144
Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD w dGPU is $1374
Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD w dGPU is 1766

Damn, that is such a tempting deal. What kind of gaming can be had with the dGPU? I'd imagine Blizzard games would run well, but any other examples?

If i were to buy a Yoga 720, what Wacom pen should i buy to go with it, that is available to purchasw in tha EU?

Wacom Bamboo Smart is, i assume, my best bet? I hope going from 2048 to 1024 lvls of pressure wont be noticeable.
I dont remember noticing it much, going from my Intuos3 to the cintiq, but i definitely did notice going feom 512 to 1024 back in the day (volito2 to intuos 3).

* Bamboo Smart for Select 2in1s (CS320AK) -$40US - 2048 lvls of pressure - protective cap
* Bamboo Ink Smart (CS321AK) - $69US - 4096 lvls of pressure - dual protocol, BT button on back, nib variety pack

Aaaaaannnd... you will never feel the pressure level difference. They both have 1 gram IAF sensor. That's what matters.

Damn, that is such a tempting deal. What kind of gaming can be had with the dGPU? I'd imagine Blizzard games would run well, but any other examples?

It's a GTX 950 or something. You won't be having fun at native screen res. You can run older games fine at say 900p.

UrbanRats

* Bamboo Smart for Select 2in1s (CS320AK) -$40US - 2048 lvls of pressure - protective cap
* Bamboo Ink Smart (CS321AK) - $69US - 4096 lvls of pressure - dual protocol, BT button on back, nib variety pack

Aaaaaannnd... you will never feel the pressure level difference. They both have 1 gram IAF sensor. That's what matters.
Thanks.

This is what i was basing my 1024lvls on, btw.

La sensibilità della penna alla pressione (1024 livelli) fa sì che scrivere a mano in digitale sia piacevole e realistico come farlo su carta e penna
2nd bullet point mentions 1024 levels, but of course it could be wrong (or an older model?).

I can't find the Bamboo Ink anywhere in EU, after a quick search.
Seems to be available on September 1st on Amazon France.

Thanks.

This is what i was basing my 1024lvls on, btw.

2nd bullet point mentions 1024 levels, but of course it could be wrong (or an older model?).

I can't find the Bamboo Ink anywhere in EU, after a quick search.
Seems to be available on September 1st on Amazon France.

Yep they are wrong. Wacom raised all their firmware for PC ODM partners to 2048 lvls with AES. Doesn't matter after 256 lvls anyways. The IAF is far more important.

Bamboo Ink Smart just launched in US and Japan. It might be coming around to EU soon.

Edzi

To all those who bought the Yoga 720, did you experience any dead pixels? That's one thing I absolutely cannot stand, and I'm curious as to the QA done on these things before I finally bite the bullet.

UrbanRats

Yep they are wrong. Wacom raised all their firmware for PC ODM partners to 2048 lvls with AES. Doesn't matter after 256 lvls anyways. The IAF is far more important.

Bamboo Ink Smart just launched in US and Japan. It might be coming around to EU soon.

Alright, thanks for the clarification!

Edzi

Just got a yoga 720. Theres a box init for a stylus but no stylus lol

Which model did you get? Lemme know your impressions, I'm about to bite the bullet on one as well. I just wish I had more options outside of buying directly from Lenovo.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Got my hands on a Surface Pro 3 for the month, so I am attempting to draw my children's book on that in the amount that I have with it!

Loaded Clip Studio Paint on it and have been messing around, going to dive deep tomorrow, will post a page when I get one done. :p

Top Bottom