• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

element

I picked my mom up a Yoga 720 from best buy for $799. There was a coupon for $100 off with a coupon. It isn't the 1050 model, but it is the 1080p with 7700HQ, which is pretty awesome.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sneaky Dell brought back pen digitizer in their Inspiron 2 in 1s couple of weeks ago. But they switched from Wacom AES to MPP to save cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vUi_P12JQ0
I'm still pissed I bought the 2-in-1 RIGHT after they switched off the digitizer. Like I was browsing the website the week before, then when it came in I found it was a slightly different model without that capability. But I needed a laptop immediately then so I kept it..

Next time I'm splurging on something reliable and oriented more towards that stuff.

I'm still pissed I bought the 2-in-1 RIGHT after they switched off the digitizer. Like I was browsing the website the week before, then when it came in I found it was a slightly different model without that capability. But I needed a laptop immediately then so I kept it..

Next time I'm splurging on something reliable and oriented more towards that stuff.

I think by the next time you get a 2 in 1 laptop, MPP capable touch panels will pretty much be a standard for any mid to top tier machines. You will have hard time avoiding it lol.

Edzi

Kind of a noobish question, but if I were to get a yoga 720 would there be any point in getting something like an intuos art tablet? I've got a decently powerful desktop that I'll probably use half the time at home, and I'm not sure if I'd be limited to the laptop as my only option to work on.

Mailbox

Kind of a noobish question, but if I were to get a yoga 720 would there be any point in getting something like an intuos art tablet? I've got a decently powerful desktop that I'll probably use half the time at home, and I'm not sure if I'd be limited to the laptop as my only option to work on.

I have an intuos tablet and a cube i7-stylus (its a cheap core m3 tablet I use for my art, i'm upgrading soon). The reason I have this setup is because I got my intuos first due to cost and later got my tablet in Uni.

Overall its... fine, but only if you use the intuos first and stick to it for a few weeks. Its a very different drawing experience (seriously it takes time to get used to drawing w/o looking at where you are drawing). If you're thinking of getting a small intuos draw tablet, it may end up being a waste while the larger pro models are kinda over expensive and likely won't be what you are looking for.

I'd probably recommend something like the artisul d10 or d13 as an alternative, but i say keep looking for alts. Keep researching and see what is and isn't in your price range and whether those options are any good. Having a backup on your desktop is a good idea in case you need to leave your main drawing stuff to charge :)

UrbanRats

I haven't got the Yoga yet, disclaimer, but i am kind of worried about using it for extended periods of time (6+ hours straight) Something that my Desktop + Cintiq has no problem handling, even 8 to 10 hours straight.
I don't know if a tablet, even hooked to a power outlet, could handle that, tbh.

So a Desktop is a nice side option to have.

USB tablet vs a pen display is a divergent paths. Once you choose it, you kinda stay on that path.

USB tablet path is a harder path, due to the steeper learning curve, but you only have to worry about attaching a small USB tablet to any computer you choose.

Pen display path is an easier but more expensive path. You will get use to using it quickly, but you have less flexibility of computers you get to use since they are often married to that display.

As for Cintiqs vs Tablet PCs, I own both, but I only use the Cintiq when I have to (large screen realestate for things like complex control drawings). I like the freedom of drawing on the go. But something like yoga 720 15 is big enough that I can even do control drawings on that without sacrificing too much. 15" is big enough to draw on for hours BTW. I use to do 8 hour days on my Dell Inspiron 15 7568 no problem.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
A little help here?

Clip Studio Paint Pro won't recognize pen pressure on my Surface Pro 3. The pen itself wasn't synced correctly with the Surface Pro at first, since the watch batteries in the pen were out of juice (OneNote wouldn't open when pressing the erase button), but I replaced those today and now clicking opens OneNote, double clicking takes a screenshot, etc.

Fresh Paint and OneNote both recognize pressure, but not CSP. Help!

A little help here?

Clip Studio Paint Pro won't recognize pen pressure on my Surface Pro 3. The pen itself wasn't synced correctly with the Surface Pro at first, since the watch batteries in the pen were out of juice (OneNote wouldn't open when pressing the erase button), but I replaced those today and now clicking opens OneNote, double clicking takes a screenshot, etc.

Fresh Paint and OneNote both recognize pressure, but not CSP. Help!

File > Preferences > Tablet > "TabletPC" not "Wintab"

I've been looking into getting a 2in1 for school mostly for note taking but I want to be able to do all my math work on the laptop so I need a screen that's really good to write on.

The Samsung Chromebook Plus caught my attention and it's $400 on amazon right now, would this be a good deal? Would I be able to find something cheaper? Or something with Windows?

I really would only use it for note taking, this would be replacing the laptop I have now and I never use it outside of class so I don't need anything powerful, as long as I can browse and use word/excel I'm good.

I'd prefer a laptop over a tablet with attached keyboard but if I could get a good deal I'd consider those too.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Just grabbed a fully loaded 10.5 iPad Pro (aka Smart Keyboard and pencil). What are some of the better sketching/drawing apps to be looking at? Also loaded the iOS 11 beta. Man.... so so good.

I've been looking into getting a 2in1 for school mostly for note taking but I want to be able to do all my math work on the laptop so I need a screen that's really good to write on.

The Samsung Chromebook Plus caught my attention and it's $400 on amazon right now, would this be a good deal? Would I be able to find something cheaper? Or something with Windows?

I really would only use it for note taking, this would be replacing the laptop I have now and I never use it outside of class so I don't need anything powerful, as long as I can browse and use word/excel I'm good.

I'd prefer a laptop over a tablet with attached keyboard but if I could get a good deal I'd consider those too.
Android note taking apps on Chromebooks are not fully baked yet so I wouldn't make that as the main reason for purchasing that Samsung. Eventually the Android functionality will be good enough on Chromebooks. You are probably a bit early. Also, $400 is a lot for something with ARM processor.

I'd recommend expanding your budget a bit for a Windows 2 in 1 with active pen. say $700 for 13" one like Yoga 720.

Just grabbed a fully loaded 10.5 iPad Pro (aka Smart Keyboard and pencil). What are some of the better sketching/drawing apps to be looking at? Also loaded the iOS 11 beta. Man.... so so good.

Only one app you should consider: Procreate

I don't know about a steal. It's an A53 based Android tablet with Wacom EMR pen. It normally goes for $350. $50 savings is pretty decent I guess. But it's still Android, and pen apps on it are very lack luster IMO. $50 more and you can get a Windows 10 2 in 1 pen device like Asus Transformer Mini.

Browsing through some of the Amazon Prime deals (UK, not sure about the regions) I noticed that 13" Cintiq Pro will be one of the offers starting at 6:15pm.

No idea what pricing will be (and tbh, I have no real exception of them dropping too far off their £900 rrp) - but I figured it was worth sharing.

Update: they knocked 20% of rrp so it's currently £720 instead of £900.

Android note taking apps on Chromebooks are not fully baked yet so I wouldn't make that as the main reason for purchasing that Samsung. Eventually the Android functionality will be good enough on Chromebooks. You are probably a bit early. Also, $400 is a lot for something with ARM processor.

I'd recommend expanding your budget a bit for a Windows 2 in 1 with active pen. say $700 for 13" one like Yoga 720.

Only one app you should consider: Procreate

I don't know about a steal. It's an A53 based Android tablet with Wacom EMR pen. It normally goes for $350. $50 savings is pretty decent I guess. But it's still Android, and pen apps on it are very lack luster IMO. $50 more and you can get a Windows 10 2 in 1 pen device like Asus Transformer Mini.

Damn didn't think it'd be that bad with Android. I guess I could spend more just seems excessive for taking notes

Edit: Wait would the Asus Transformer Mini be good for notes?

UrbanRats

How does the Surface Pro4 compare to the yoga 720, for professional level work?(can i use the wacom pen with it?)
I would be saving 500€ with prime sales.

How does the Surface Pro4 compare to the yoga 720, for professional level work?(can i use the wacom pen with it?)

Bare in mind that the prime sale one seems to be the lowest spec btw (I was considering it myself until I realised that that was the only model they were discounting in U.K. Store).

Also the the Cintiq Pro 13" discount is live, I'm interested in anyone's views and if they think it's worth it or not at £720 instead of £900.

Part of me wants to wait and get the new 12.9" iPad Pro instead but I'm undecided.

Edzi

The more research I do into Lenovo and the Yoga 720, the less inclined I am to make the purchase. It seems like they've got some quality control issues, since I saw a display model with a black line running through the screen and upon googling it found that this seems to be a rather common issue. As far as I can tell though, it seems like it may only be an issue with the 4K display, but other horror stories about Lenovo's customer service and iffy return/exchange policy for defects has me wary of buying from them directly.

I'm starting to lean more towards looking for a more traditional laptop and buying something like the Intuos Art tablet for use with both a laptop and my desktop.

Depends on your work needs. SP4 has dual core i5/i7. It can't compete with Yoga 720 15's quad core i7 for things like Z Brush. It will choke on it. But moderate Photoshop it will do fine with.

The more research I do into Lenovo and the Yoga 720, the less inclined I am to make the purchase. It seems like they've got some quality control issues, since I saw a display model with a black line running through the screen and upon googling it found that this seems to be a rather common issue. As far as I can tell though, it seems like it may only be an issue with the 4K display, but other horror stories about Lenovo's customer service and iffy return/exchange policy for defects has me wary of buying from them directly.

I'm starting to lean more towards looking for a more traditional laptop and buying something like the Intuos Art tablet for use with both a laptop and my desktop.

If you paint rather than draw, Intuos route is great. But if your work is mostly about drawing (e.g. industrial design), Intuos is far from ideal for your needs.

Edzi

If you paint rather than draw, Intuos route is great. But if your work is mostly about drawing (e.g. industrial design), Intuos is far from ideal for your needs.

I'd mostly be using it for casual art/drawing, but nothing particularly technical. Eventually I'd like to try my hand at basic animation, so I assume it'd be okay for drawings like that?

Mailbox

I just got my miix 510 :D
(interestingly enough it cam from an amazon marketplace seller and came faster than amazon's 2-day shipping ._. )

What i didn't expect was that it had a backlit keyboard and the pen was actually included in the box. There was no indication that it would be, and its a pretty good pen. I'm not gonna cancel my order of the wacom pen because I have a bad track record with pens :S.

I'll charge it, update bios, and then clean install windows (I hate the lenovo bloat.)
I tested out the pen on ink workspace sketchpad and its much much better than i was expecting. Very little wobble (significantly better than the surface pro 4 i tested out at bestbuy), so i'm very happy with it so far. :3

Just wanted to come in and plug the MobileStudio Pro 16. Probably the best drawing device I've ever used in terms of size, function, aesthetic and power. The 15.6 inch screen is perfect for drawing, and not too small like the Companion 2 was for me. The battery is still sorta shit (hovers around 4 hours), but it's sleek, fast and portable.

UrbanRats

Just wanted to come in and plug the MobileStudio Pro 16. Probably the best drawing device I've ever used in terms of size, function, aesthetic and power. The 15.6 inch screen is perfect for drawing, and not too small like the Companion 2 was for me. The battery is still sorta shit (hovers around 4 hours), but it's sleek, fast and portable.

Is the price difference with the Yoga 720 worth it though? The price for it is (as per usual, with Wacom) absolutely insane.

EMR pen and express keys are the only advantage i can think of (both of which can be worked around, easily).

Depends on your work needs. SP4 has dual core i5/i7. It can't compete with Yoga 720 15's quad core i7 for things like Z Brush. It will choke on it. But moderate Photoshop it will do fine with.

Yeah, i'll stick with the Yoga, i think.
Now if only Amazon France shipped the damn thing.

I would have bought it if it had 45W quad core i7. Spending that much on something that big and heavy that makes do with dual core 15W CPU is more than off putting for me. It's gotta do better than my Vaio Z Canvas for that money. And with MPP capable tilt pen from MS available soon on all MPP devices, Mobile Studio Pro's price looks less and less appealing.

I'd mostly be using it for casual art/drawing, but nothing particularly technical. Eventually I'd like to try my hand at basic animation, so I assume it'd be okay for drawings like that?
There is fair bit of learning curve with any kind of drawing. Tons more so than on screen drawing.

(interestingly enough it cam from an amazon marketplace seller and came faster than amazon's 2-day shipping ._. )

What i didn't expect was that it had a backlit keyboard and the pen was actually included in the box. There was no indication that it would be, and its a pretty good pen. I'm not gonna cancel my order of the wacom pen because I have a bad track record with pens :S.

I'll charge it, update bios, and then clean install windows (I hate the lenovo bloat.)
I tested out the pen on ink workspace sketchpad and its much much better than i was expecting. Very little wobble (significantly better than the surface pro 4 i tested out at bestbuy), so i'm very happy with it so far. :3

Wow, I knew if had the KB packed in but not the pen! That's nice. Congrats on your new rig!

UrbanRats

Amazon France delay, is making me think hard about whether or not i really need to spend 1500€ on the 15" yoga 720.
I would probably never use the 1050(don't plan to game on this thing) and the increased real estate isn't that much of a factor(13" is fine if you can zoom).

The one real divider, is the cpu.
i7-7700hq seems vastly faster than the i5-7200u (plus it has two more cores).
But is it 575€ better? I know CSP would probably be fine, but PS can be a hog with large PSD files.
Don't care about 3d rendering and other stuff, since i would mostly do comic book art and illustrations.

I know i'm like a broken record with this, it's just that it's a very big expense and it's psyching me out.

I got my Surface Pro 3 repaired. So nice to be back on a great digital drawing device again. Wonderful bit of kit for speedpaints and sketches.

I am keeping a close eye on the Bamboo Ink and new Surface Pen. I am interested in seeing what the deal is with them on older hardware like the SP3.

My next purchase is probably a new Surface with 8GB of RAM, but that ain't cheap. I also need to hunt down a decent sized Cintiq on display in London to test out how it compares...

DrDamn

Amazon France delay, is making me think hard about whether or not i really need to spend 1500€ on the 15" yoga 720.
I would probably never use the 1050(don't plan to game on this thing) and the increased real estate isn't that much of a factor(13" is fine if you can zoom).

The one real divider, is the cpu.
i7-7700hq seems vastly faster than the i5-7200u (plus it has two more cores).
But is it 575€ better? I know CSP would probably be fine, but PS can be a hog with large PSD files.
Don't care about 3d rendering and other stuff, since i would mostly do comic book art and illustrations.

I know i'm like a broken record with this, it's just that it's a very big expense and it's psyching me out.

i5 15" has 1050 + i5-7300 which is quad core (According to Amazon FR anyway) and it's only €1179,99. Still waiting for the 720 in the UK - mid to late July so soon. :(

Edit: Maybe not Quad it doesn't say which i5-7300

UrbanRats

i5 15" has 1050 + i5-7300 which is quad core (According to Amazon FR anyway) and it's only €1179,99. Still waiting for the 720 in the UK - mid to late July so soon. :(

Edit: Maybe not Quad it doesn't say which i5-7300
Should be 4 cores.
But its still around 200€ more.
Seems to be the best compromise, but i could invest those 200€ on other stuff.

New Cintiqs got announced by Wacom for January release. A 24 and a 32" Cintiq Pros. Both are 4K res with 10 bit color panels, edge to edge glass, and uses the new Pro Pen 2. Priced from $1999 to $3299.

http://wacomcintiqpro.wacom.com/en-us

I personally think the 32" version is going full retard on size since most find the 27" to be too damn big for their desks. Also, the 32" should be 5K resolution. Makes its existence a bit pointless IMO.

They really should be just doing 16", 22" and 28" sizes.

UrbanRats

32", lol.
I have an old 24", and i always use a tiny fraction of the screen anyway, when i draw.

Even if you have more of a painter background, when working in digital i can't see someone seriously using 32".

32", lol.
I have an old 24", and i always use a tiny fraction of the screen anyway, when i draw.

Even if you have more of a painter background, when working in digital i can't see someone seriously using 32".

At 32", it's big enough to do an 11 point multi-touch session, ifyouknowwhatimean... *wink wink nudge nudge*

zulux21

I hope you like it and I hope you have better luck than I have had with my Lenovo Miix 700 finding an external battery that works with it lol.

oh well I am either going to have to get an external battery that has an AC plug or accept it won't charge off one as I don't know why https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012NIQG5E/?tag=neogaf0e-20 doesn't work with it *shrugs* maybe I need the same type of battery the switch needs in order to charge while using it.

Mailbox

I hope you like it and I hope you have better luck than I have had with my Lenovo Miix 700 finding an external battery that works with it lol.

oh well I am either going to have to get an external battery that has an AC plug or accept it won't charge off one as I don't know why https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012NIQG5E/?tag=neogaf0e-20 doesn't work with it *shrugs* maybe I need the same type of battery the switch needs in order to charge while using it.

While idk about the 700, the 510 doesn't accept charge through the usb-c.
though tbh, my daily use case doesn't really require an external battery pack. :p

zulux21

While idk about the 700, the 510 doesn't accept charge through the usb-c.
though tbh, my daily use case doesn't really require an external battery pack. :p

most of the time it won't be an issue. I was hoping to use it during my flight across seas, but I only get like 3-4 hours on the battery (though that is playing an indie game, perhaps doodling or reading something will be a bit better) thus would need a battery that works.

the 700 uses an offshoot of usb 3.0 to charge don't know the name but the cord is a little funky lol

Mailbox

most of the time it won't be an issue. I was hoping to use it during my flight across seas, but I only get like 3-4 hours on the battery (though that is playing an indie game, perhaps doodling or reading something will be a bit better) thus would need a battery that works.

the 700 uses an offshoot of usb 3.0 to charge don't know the name but the cord is a little funky lol

Oh, I see.
Just looking around a bit, the 700 looks like it has something to do with the pin design (as in, its not charging through the actual usb interface pins, i think.) so normal usb cables won't work with the charging mechanism.

That really sucks :(

Garland7G

I'm thinking about getting a tablet to draw comics on and need some suggestions. The main thing I need is to be able to draw/color directly on the tablet screen. I had an old wacom and could never get the hang of drawing on the tablet yet looking at my monitor. I'd also like it to run the new manga studio software (I forget what its called) or better software for comics if you have any suggestions. Oh yeah, I have about $1000 to spend.

Ne0n

Banned
I bought a Yoga book a couple of months ago, I absolutely love it. as a dedicated system for creating detailed work? Or using for design at all? no way, but as something to sketch ideas on, rough drafts etc that you then bring home to your super expensive computer (that will always be where I create anything worthwhile) It's awesome.

I just love how it looks and feels, is so light and portable too. Highly recommended.

and dat keyboard doe

519830-lenovo-yoga-book-inline.jpg

I bought a Yoga book a couple of months ago, I absolutely love it. as a dedicated system for creating detailed work? Or using for design at all? no way, but as something to sketch ideas on, rough drafts etc that you then bring home to your super expensive computer (that will always be where I create anything worthwhile) It's awesome.

I just love how it looks and feels, is so light and portable too. Highly recommended.

and dat keyboard doe

519830-lenovo-yoga-book-inline.jpg

You can't draw directly on the Yoga Book screen and to me that makes it a flawed device with weird ass compromises on keyboard and art tablet functionality.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it to those who are brand new to digital drawing, since you have to deal with the learning curve of drawing while looking away from your hands. If you are use to Intuos tablets, it's fine I guess, but in this day and age of really good pen display equipped 2 in 1 tablets for around $500, it's just a baffling device.

I'm thinking about getting a tablet to draw comics on and need some suggestions. The main thing I need is to be able to draw/color directly on the tablet screen. I had an old wacom and could never get the hang of drawing on the tablet yet looking at my monitor. I'd also like it to run the new manga studio software (I forget what its called) or better software for comics if you have any suggestions. Oh yeah, I have about $1000 to spend.

Go to Best Buy, and pick up the Miix 510 with 8GB of RAM for $800. I don't remember if it comes with the pen, but you can pick up the Wacom Bamboo Ink Smart pen for $70 also at Best Buy. It will run Clip Studio Paint (new Manga Studio) beautifully.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...drive-platinum-silver/5938601.p?skuId=5938601

If you feel that you'd rather have slightly bigger screen size, go for Yoga 720 13.3" for $750. Similar specs but you get laptop form factor which is nice. You need to pick up that Bamboo Ink Smart pen for $70 since it does not come with a pen.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...drive-platinum-silver/5722715.p?skuId=5722715

But if you think 13.3" is not big enough and you want to go for big air and still be under $1000, go for this beast with 15.6" screen and discrete GPU. The same Bamboo Ink Smart will work on this too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...tate-drive-onyx-black/5799325.p?skuId=5799325

Yeah. I really like Lenovo's offerings in this space.

Top Bottom