• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces f site gets an update, Product details in English, Hint at platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TOS: 470k
TOV = 145k (138k + 7k Premium Edition)
TOS:DONW = 138k
TOP: 88k
TOL: 83k
TOA: 72k
TOW:RM = 39k

TotA deserve to sell the most in last generation.... was one of the best JRPG :-(

This is depressing because between all the JRPG this generation... Tales is still the most classic which is faithful to it's fan base.

If TogF didn't pass the 150K+ I will be so pissed at the JRPG fans in the NA.

Mr.Fresh

The Praiseworthy said:
TotA deserve to sell the most in last generation.... was one of the best JRPG :-(

This is depressing because between all the JRPG this generation... Tales is still the most classic which is faithful to it's fan base.

If TogF didn't pass the 150K+ I will be so pissed at the JRPG fans in the NA.
I think tales of graces can get as many sales as symphonia if namco puts a commercial on tv for once, if they can advertise enslaved then they could do this too.

Ace_235 said:
I think tales of graces can get as many sales as symphonia if namco puts a commercial on tv for once, if they can advertise enslaved then they could do this too.
I really doubt that Graces is going to sell outside it's crowd, making that kind of marketing pretty pointless.

Ace_235 said:

That's the problem.... they don't do any advertising then they humiliate us about the Tales games for the west because they didn't sell too well :\

Sometimes I feel like they are treating the Tales games in the west like the un-wanted and un-loved child.

If Enslaved with all the bad sells they said they still have an interest for the IP then why not the same with Tales in the west? specially on a system with a good JRPG fan base who are dying for some good stuff .

Paracelsus

Rahxephon91 said:
I really doubt that Graces is going to sell outside it's crowd, making that kind of marketing pretty pointless.

Just how big is this crowd, 150k like ToS2 and ToV sold? It's quite baffling they can't seem to be able to take a piece from the FF-pie, even Lost Odyssey with a bit of Microsoft marketing made it up to 350k, the same Blue Dragon is close to 200k in NA and both are not as good as Tales.

Paracelsus said:
Just how big is this crowd, 150k like ToS2 and ToV sold? It's quite baffling they can't seem to be able to take a piece from the FF-pie, even Lost Odyssey with a bit of Microsoft marketing made it up to 350k, the same Blue Dragon is close to 200k in NA and both are not as good as Tales.

I don't know about BD but LO received good marketing right? The only ways to get the series out of that 150k or so benchmark is to actually market it better besides some websites ads or mags, and/or make it multiplat which wouldn't be anything new in this industry...

Paracelsus said:
I'm not sure how big this crowd is. Probably about as big a crowd as those buying Atlus' top tier stuff. Lost Odyssey had a big push from MS because it was an MS title and I would say has an image more appealing to western tastes in this current climate. I don't really think putting very Shōjo like images on tv is really going to work at this time. Sure they would get a few more sales , but I don't anything substantial. If Namco really wants to market this title, they need to take a que from Atlus. Reach out to the community through online areas such as Twitter, email, and whatever. They don't even have a website up, that's pathetic. Meanwhile Atlus has been steadily hyping up Cathrine. They have revealed their website, the release date, screens of the English version, the voice actors, pre-order bonus and all in a good amount of time before the game comes out. These kind of things gets the community to care about the title and buzz about it. We have had several threads right here about the smallest info about Cathrine, it's US release is still in are heads because it's on a consistent basis. It also probably makes other people look into it because hey this name keeps popping up. For Graces it pops up every now and then and will drop for the first page probably until the game comes out here. I bet you Cathrine will sell better. Both games are niche, whats a tv ad really going to do? The people who would be interested in the title probably are better reached through other venues. I mean yes it's not a FF audience, but I don't think it really will be or has to be.

Paracelsus

You've got to admit Atlus' strategy is much more risk-avoiding than Namco's. Atlus took its sweet time to go on the homeconsoles (six years for the first internally developed product), but it's going multiplatform from the start and marketing -as you said- is pretty good. Namco's mistake was thinking that ToV was bound to have the same success ToS on the NGC had, that (combined with the half-bomba in Japan) was what pretty much fucked up their entire strategy. Had they gone with a Graces-like engine from the get-go spreading their releases on every homeconsole, even a tiny bit of marketing would have worked but no, they seem to think a Jrpg player this generation has to have every console just for their games.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ace_235 said:

TV Commercials aren't the end all be all.

Symphonia sold without a TV commercial, and Graces can too. There's more to marketing than just shoving a 30 second spot on a TV screen.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It will definitely help if it has a good word of mouth.

See Demon's Souls.

mclem

DR2K said:
Are publishers allowed to announce software support for Cafe yet? Could be why Namco has been so silent.

When they say the platform will be announced soon, they mean the *platform* will be announced soon?

Paracelsus said:
You've got to admit Atlus' strategy is much more risk-avoiding than Namco's. Atlus took its sweet time to go on the homeconsoles (six years for the first internally developed product), but it's going multiplatform from the start and marketing -as you said- is pretty good. Namco's mistake was thinking that ToV was bound to have the same success ToS on the NGC had, that (combined with the half-bomba in Japan) was what pretty much fucked up their entire strategy. Had they gone with a Graces-like engine from the get-go spreading their releases on every homeconsole, even a tiny bit of marketing would have worked but no, they seem to think a Jrpg player this generation has to have every console just for their games.

Don't forget putting ONE game on EVERY system, scattering the fanbase, not localizing half of them, etc. Many broken eggs went into this Mistake Omelette.

Granted, J-devs often find themselves doing this due to no solid system base (PSP white hot in 2011 whuh?), but this was Bamco's idea from the start of the generation.

matmanx1

SatelliteOfLove said:
Don't forget putting ONE game on EVERY system, scattering the fanbase, not localizing half of them, etc. Many broken eggs went into this Mistake Omelette.

Granted, J-devs often find themselves doing this due to no solid system base (PSP white hot in 2011 whuh?), but this was Bamco's idea from the start of the generation.

Just caught back up with this thread so I apologize for the late response but this reply caught my eye. Would it be so odd to have a mainline Tales game produced for the PSP at this late date with the sales being what they are in Japan? They did it for the DS, right? Why not the PSP? Just thinking out loud, mind you. I'm not advocating a mainline PSP Tales game as it would be nice to have a couple of releases in a row on the same platform for once. Hopefully Namco Japan is thinking along the same lines with Xillia being on the PS3.

And yes, this generation's home console Tales games should have been multiplatform from the get go. It's just another example of how Namco doesn't really see Tales as a "worldwide" type of game but rather as a game to sell to Japanese gamers and then perhaps localize elsewhere.

RPGamer92

Banned
I agree with the people who said the main problem for why Tales sales aren't so hot in the US is because they are spread out. If Namco were to advertise one system e.g. PS3 with TOGf and TOX as the dominant platform for the series, it could have much better sales imo

Takao

Banned
Paracelsus said:

Boob Dragon had a pretty extensive marketing campaign with a TV series, toys, and a card game. The fact it sold those numbers should tell you that putting lipstick on a pig doesn't mean it isn't a pig.

Takao said:
Boob Dragon had a pretty extensive marketing campaign with a TV series, toys, and a card game. The fact it sold those numbers should tell you that putting lipstick on a pig doesn't mean it isn't a pig.
I think most of that stuff was really for the Japan market were it sold decently.

Aeana

Takao said:
are you calling blue dragon a pig

Takao

Banned
Aeana said:
are you calling blue dragon a pig

bouquet2001.jpg

Aye Captain, I am calling Boob Dragon a pig.

PSFan said:
I agree with the people who said the main problem for why Tales sales aren't so hot in the US is because they are spread out. If Namco were to advertise one system e.g. PS3 with TOGf and TOX as the dominant platform for the series, it could have much better sales imo

Seems like that is what they are doing, if they follow JPN's lead and dont make a Wiiport. Though Nintendo will most likely try to convince them to make a Tales game for the Wii Successor, I imagine...

Paracelsus

Dedication Through Light said:
Seems like that is what they are doing, if they follow JPN's lead and dont make a Wiiport. Though Nintendo will most likely try to convince them to make a Tales game for the Wii Successor, I imagine...

"Final Fantasy Versus XIII Tales of Graces F will go to the XBOX360"

Vigilance

Maybe they should try advertising during Adult Swim's anime period on Saturdays. Build up some hype with the anime crowd.

Vigilance said:
Maybe they should try advertising during Adult Swim's anime period on Saturdays. Build up some hype with the anime crowd.

I think the most they'll do is the 280K subscriber strong Shonen Jump advertisements...and leave the rest of spreading the word to the fanbase via their official facebook page.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Takao said:
bouquet2001.jpg

Aye Captain, I am calling Boob Dragon a pig.

Are they seriously censoring boobs now? (On under-age looking - if not just plain under-aged - girls, but still.)

What's next, covering legs?

BY2K said:
Are they seriously censoring boobs now? (On under-age looking - if not just plain under-aged - girls, but still.)

What's next, covering legs?

Have we seen the US tactics orge cover by chance? It has the answer to your question.

RPGCrazied

I guess they are going to wait until E3 to give us any more info. I have no idea why they annouced it so early. Just a logo and say " oh its coming" and thats it. That was months ago.

Takao

Banned
Jigsaw said:
what's the story behind this?

In the English Edited TV Dub of Blue Dragon (there is an uncut dub, but not released in North America) the character Bouquet has her cleavage edited out in almost every single frame. I believe she's underage, and her cleavage does become the subject of some jokes, but nothing more. Hence my joke name, Boob Dragon.

Takao said:
In the English Edited TV Dub of Blue Dragon (there is an uncut dub, but not released in North America) the character Bouquet has her cleavage edited out in almost every single frame. I believe she's underage, and her cleavage does become the subject of some jokes, but nothing more. Hence my joke name, Boob Dragon.

Didnt they do that to, was it Akiza Izinski in Yugioh 5D's, I feel like remembering people mention it about the games though I never saw the JPN to verify. Ive not see cut anime in a while.

mjemirzian said:
Relevant to the thread?

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/09/tales_series_sales_trends

I believe these are Japan only sales numbers.

I'd like to see what kind of sales they'd get with a more action oriented tales game experience. Or maybe they'd get better sales trying to make cell phone/mobile tales games. It's probably just a trend of 'hardcore' PvE games that require a large time investment going on the decline.

Wait, what? Tales already is a very action oriented game experience...

And they already made a few mobile Tales games.

Paracelsus

Bel Marduk said:
Wait, what? Tales already is a very action oriented game experience...

And they already made a few mobile Tales games.

iirc he wanted Bayonetta: The Jrpg instead of Tales of.

I guess they are going to wait until E3 to give us any more info. I have no idea why they annouced it so early. Just a logo and say " oh its coming" and thats it. That was months ago.

Namco is having an event in two days (in Dubai?). This, the new Dragon Bollz and Soul Calibur 5 are probably going to be there.

Luthos

I haven't checked up on it in a while, but...

Is there still little to no chance that NA gets Tales of Vesperia PS3?

klee123

Luthos said:
Is there still little to no chance that NA gets Tales of Vesperia PS3?

Ship has sailed long ago. Xillia has a better chance than Vesperia at this point for PS3 owners.

A pity though, since the extras were really worthwhile from what I've played.

Datschge

matmanx1 said:
Would it be so odd to have a mainline Tales game produced for the PSP at this late date with the sales being what they are in Japan? They did it for the DS, right? Why not the PSP?
Because the RM series is met with much more success. The 2D main game ports to PSP went from respectable to pretty much non-existent sales. The rather extensive ToP NDX remake fared much worse than the RM games. So with PSP systems still selling this well a winter Kanonno is most likely to come, the main Tales games on last gen portables ship sailed ages ago.

klee123

Datschge said:
Because the RM series is met with much more success. The 2D main game ports to PSP went from respectable to pretty much non-existent sales. The rather extensive ToP NDX remake fared much worse than the RM games. So with PSP systems still selling this well a winter Kanonno is most likely to come, the main Tales games on last gen portables ship sailed ages ago.

The problem is that Namco haven't really tried. Besides the RM games and VS, all the main PSP entires have been nothing but ports. There is only so many times people will play Tales of Phantasia even with with the NDX extra to the latest release. Especially when Phantasia has been released on 3 other systems already.

Datschge

klee123 said:
The problem is that Namco haven't really tried. Besides the RM games and VS, all the main PSP entires have been nothing but ports. There is only so many times people will play Tales of Phantasia even with with the NDX extra to the latest release. Especially when Phantasia has been released on 3 other systems already.
You don't need to argue anymore, by Tales standards the RM series on the PSP is a runaway success with actually increasing sales after the first entry. No kind of main game on the PSP would ever be able to approach RM's sales, heck the main games on consoles barely do that.

Your likening ToP NDX to all the ToP ports just because that was included as a tweaked bonus only shows how crappy Namco's PR is. The NDX remake is more to ToD-R like ToH is to main Tales games. Sales numbers say it wasn't worth the effort, even VS and all of the DS games did better after all.

klee123

Datschge said:
You don't need to argue anymore, by Tales standards the RM series on the PSP is a runaway success with actually increasing sales after the first entry. No kind of main game on the PSP would ever be able to approach RM's sales, heck the main games on consoles barely do that.

Your likening ToP NDX to all the ToP ports just because that was included as a tweaked bonus only shows how crappy Namco's PR is. The NDX remake is more to ToD-R like ToH is to main Tales games. Sales numbers say it wasn't worth the effort, even VS and all of the DS games did better after all.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people in Japan thought the same as well. Which further proves my point that Namco are just a bunch of retards when it comes to putting non fanservice original content on the PSP and just simply not trying. It's not like the DS games sell an amazing amount of copies either.

Yazus

Tales of Vesperia is indeed one of the best JRPG this gen.
And I cant really see how it has performed so badly... really.

Namco should have gone multiplatform PS360 from the beginning with ToV and ToG. (With ToG being ps360wii).

Seriously, will they ever learn from this?

Also, Symphonia is best tales ever still.

Edit: with Graces and Symphonia having sold in a lesser timeframe what Vesperia and ps2 games sold I can really see Namco going with Wii2 with Tales.. would actually make sense since anyways Tales game never put a big focus on graphics (square enix ff on wii => OMFG NO HD TOWNS :( :(: :) CNOT ENOUIGH POWER!)

Paracelsus

Datschge said:

That's actually due to series mismanagement. ToV PS3 squashed all ToTW entries, and we're talking about a late port. Plus, we will never know what a proper Tales Studio effort would have done on PSP, although I do agree that they are not to blame for milking the platform through much cheaper ToTW games.

klee123 said:
Ship has sailed long ago. Xillia has a better chance than Vesperia at this point for PS3 owners.
I think Xillia's fate likely hinges on Graces F's performance, especially if it ends up being PS3 only. If Graces F only manages the usual 150k or less, then Namco may just skip Xillia and again put the franchise on ice until next gen or something.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder if they'll use the English version of White Wishes...

Paracelsus

lunchwithyuzo said:
I think Xillia's fate likely hinges on Graces F's performance, especially if it ends up being PS3 only. If Graces F only manages the usual 150k or less, then Namco may just skip Xillia and again put the franchise on ice until next gen or something.

Which "next gen", exactly, the one with no Jrpgs on homeconsoles? Who are you gonna sell your games to if there is no fanbase anymore?

RPGCrazied

We were trolled all a long. :p I know Rich really does work for Namco, but we still haven't gotten a release statement from Namco saying its really coming. Just from a Facebook page and this guys twitter. Yeah, yeah. Its on Namco's website now, but its a barren page.

They announced this months ago.
Whats the hold up?

ULTROS!

Is Namdai's fiscal report up? They usually announce stuff there.

RPGCrazied said:
We were trolled all a long. :p I know Rich really does work for Namco, but we still haven't gotten a release statement from Namco saying its really coming. Just from a Facebook page and this guys twitter. Yeah, yeah. Its on Namco's website now, but its a barren page.

They announced this months ago.
Whats the hold up?

"The Tales franchise returns to the PlayStation®!"

Paracelsus said:
Which "next gen", exactly, the one with no Jrpgs on homeconsoles? Who are you gonna sell your games if there is no fanbase anymore?
I just mean it might end up being another 3 year wait in the west like it has been since Vesperia and Symphonia 2. 3 years from now 3DS, NGP and Cafe will be well established (and probably have a couple JRPGs under their belts), and even PS4 and Xbox 3 will probably be on shelves. Who knows what the Tales series will look like then and what will be up for localization?

vall03

ever since they announced ToGf, it feels as if Namco is avoiding it, I mean I look at some tweets and the Facebook page but theres been nothing at all and expects us to keep on "waiting" *sigh*

Yazus said:
Tales of Vesperia is indeed one of the best JRPG this gen.
And I cant really see how it has performed so badly... really.

Namco should have gone multiplatform PS360 from the beginning with ToV and ToG. (With ToG being ps360wii).

Seriously, will they ever learn from this?

Also, Symphonia is best tales ever still.

Edit: with Graces and Symphonia having sold in a lesser timeframe what Vesperia and ps2 games sold I can really see Namco going with Wii2 with Tales.. would actually make sense since anyways Tales game never put a big focus on graphics (square enix ff on wii => OMFG NO HD TOWNS :( :(: :) CNOT ENOUIGH POWER!)

With the Wii Successor coming late 2012 and focusing on super high definition graphics outclassing the powerful hd twins...I think its more likely the next tales will be on ps3 for release in mid 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom