• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces f site gets an update, Product details in English, Hint at platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seda said:
I think Tales biggest problem in the US is that nearly ever game came out on a different console.

I'd say the biggest problem is that NAMCO doesn't market them at all. If they don't want to do TV campaigns then they need to start studying how Atlus markets their games. Atlus somehow figured out how to get 3D Dot Games Heroes to sell over 150k in the US while most Tales games never even get to 100k.

Seda said:
I think Tales biggest problem in the US is that nearly ever game came out on a different console.
That's a problem, but you can widen the lens internationally for most Tales problems.

It would be a fistfight to decide which is the biggest.

The lack of a console focus, the constant shifting of what's a "mothership" Tales and what can be safely ignored, wildly oscillating quality (Innocence was a "mothership" Tales game and also not very good), brand confusion (Hearts and its dual SKUs), lofty expectations with sub-par work and marketing, etc.

For America in specific, as you mentioned, the shotgun approach to game releases didn't work. They'd probably do themselves a huge favor if they went the multiplatform route for each game - Hearts on DS and PSP, Vesperia on 360 and PS3 (at the same time), Xillia on everything. The fact that Namco's US branch keeps skipping games and, when they do release them, plops them out with all the care and nurturing of a smoker throwing a cigarette out the window, are equally huge problems.

I still can't wrap my head around Tales of the Abyss not making the 3DS launch.

Jigsaw

Banned
nincompoop said:
Wow, so even the mediocre GBA port of Phantasia outsold every Tales games that's ever been released on a Sony platform in the US.

it was published by nintendo,so nothing wow about it

the problem is namco's marketing,not the platform (their xenosaga sold much better)

Maybe Namco's not announcing that it's PS3 exclusive yet because they know all of their investors are going to jump off a bridge when they see those sales figures.

it failed on both 360 and wii,they don't have much more possibilities (go steam?)

sega was satisfied with the sales of valkyria and yakuza,atlus with demons souls and 3d dot game heroes,and nisa with rorona and ar tonelico, so niche rpgs can sell on ps3

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope Namco isn't relying on the fans to do the "marketing". :/

Firestorm

nincompoop said:
Wow, so even the mediocre GBA port of Phantasia outsold every Tales games that's ever been released on a Sony platform in the US. Maybe Namco's not announcing that it's PS3 exclusive yet because they know all of their investors are going to jump off a bridge when they see those sales figures.
do you ever stop being retarded or is that a 24/7 type of dealio

Codeblue

Jigsaw said:
it was published by nintendo,so nothing wow about it
it failed on both 360 and wii,they don't have much more possibilities (go steam?)

Why not all of them? This exclusivity thing is hurting the series, especially when they keep jumping around as others have pointed out.

jackdoe

Codeblue said:
Why not all of them? This exclusivity thing is hurting the series, especially when they keep jumping around as others have pointed out.
Namco Bandai America won't put in the cash for the port so it would have to happen in Japan. And I suppose that the Tales series has done pretty well on the PS3 thus far considering the two titles released were year old ports sold at a premium which is probably why the focus was shifted to PS3 exclusive for Tales of Xilia. If that sells like shit though, Bandai Namco would probably make the decision to take the series multiplatform from the get go rather than release staggered ports. Or take the main series portable.

any chance this could be a summer release?

i heard how namco screwed up the abyss release, and the way it's looking they're gonna screw this one up by releasing fall this year which is incredibly packed, even pushing it to q1 next year is suicide as a suspect a few big names will get pushed back from this fall

Firestorm

nincompoop said:
How about you try contributing to the discussion instead of hurling 7th-grade insults?
Sure thing. Your posts are always of a very narrow-minded pro-Nintendo and ignore everything else type. I also think I've pointed out to you (or maybe other people) in these threads multiple times that the PSX Tales games both sold pretty damn well although not to Symphonia numbers and there will likely never be another Tales game to do Symphonia numbers.

edit: crap. double post.

Firestorm said:
Sure thing. Your posts are always of a very narrow-minded pro-Nintendo and ignore everything else type. I also think I've pointed out to you (or maybe other people) in these threads multiple times that the PSX Tales games both sold pretty damn well although not to Symphonia numbers and there will likely never be another Tales game to do Symphonia numbers.

edit: crap. double post.
durr hurr i iz retard cuz i like nintendo gamez

And I already posted the leaked NPD sales of the PSX Tales games, they sold 67k and 59k respectively. All I'm doing is using the fact that every single Tales game on a Sony platform has sold fewer copies in the US than every Tales games on a non Sony platform to support my argument that Namco would be foolish to release Graces exclusively on the PS3.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
nincompoop said:
durr hurr i iz retard cuz i like nintendo gamez

And I already posted the leaked NPD sales of the PSX Tales games, they sold 67k and 59k respectively. All I'm doing is using the fact that every single Tales game on a Sony platform has sold fewer copies in the US than every Tales games on a non Sony platform to support my argument that Namco would be foolish to release Graces exclusively on the PS3.

Too late for that.

klee123

Namco was just as foolish to release the tales games on the 360 and the Wii(In fact I'd argue it's even worse) in Japan where it matters the most for the franchise, but you'll never see the pro Ninty and MS people admitting that. It's ALL about the US sales!

Despite Symphonia 2 selling relatively well(Which probably sold more on the name more than anything), I wouldn't be surprised if Graces on Wii would sell even worse than the PS2 entries in the west due to how pathetic the software situation the Wii is for third party core games worldwide.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
klee123 said:
Namco was just as foolish to release the tales games on the 360 and the Wii(In fact I'd argue it's even worse) in Japan where it matters the most for the franchise, but you'll never see the pro Ninty and MS people admitting that. It's ALL about the US sales!

Despite Symphonia 2 selling relatively well(Which probably sold more on the name more than anything), I wouldn't be surprised if Graces on Wii would sell even worse than the PS2 entries in the west due to how pathetic the software situation the Wii is for third party core games worldwide.

Well, there's a reason Xillia is where it is.

Nakiro

I wonder if Tales of Vesperia will be making it's way over to PS3 eventually over in the NA. It seems more likely now that there is more focus on PS3 from the Tales division.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nakiro said:
I wonder if Tales of Vesperia will be making it's way over to PS3 eventually over in the NA. It seems more likely now that there is more focus on PS3 from the Tales division.

Seems unlikely to me. Been too long since the original release... I caved in and bought the import.

Nakiro said:

They should honestly choose Xillia over Vesperia. And if Xillia comes with DLC support they choose that. They can easily make good opportunity on both Graces F and Xillia just on the basis of DLC alone, easy money. What will Vesperia PS3 offer? Eternal Sonata level sells?

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
klee123 said:

your sounding like a sony fanboy. Symphonia and Vesperia sold better in the us than the other ps2 Tales games

jackdoe

Kasumi1970 said:
your sounding like a sony fanboy. Symphonia and Vesperia sold better in the us than the other ps2 Tales games
He never denies that Symphonia and Veseperia sold better than the PS2 entries in the west. He just says that sales in Japan will dictate where the franchise will go, and it has.

Kasumi1970 said:

At the end of the day it's the sales in Japan that matter , which is why tales is back on PS3 .
It would be best when series comes to the NA for them to port it to all system but sales are not good enough so it not worth it .
Still Namco has done nothing to help the series in NA only hurt it over and over again.
Hell they should already brought over Veseperia to help grow the PS3 fan base it's not like we have much JRPG's to play on console. God i miss the PS2 days .

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Alternatively, Namco could have gone multiplatform from the beginning with Vesperia and kept Graces and Xillia as both PS3/360 releases... but that didn't happen.

Kagari said:
Alternatively, Namco could have gone multiplatform from the beginning with Vesperia and kept Graces and Xillia as both PS3/360 releases... but that didn't happen.

After the success they experienced with doing PS3/360 Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, I wonder why Xillia and even Graces F ended up just being one console. It is a strange day when Naruto sells more than a longstanding RPG franchise...

Dedication Through Light said:
After the success they experienced with doing PS3/360 Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, I wonder why Xillia and even Graces F ended up just being one console. It is a strange day when Naruto sells more than a longstanding RPG franchise...

I would wager there are more people who care about Naruto than Tales.

hosannainexcelsis said:
I would wager there are more people who care about Naruto than Tales.
That and Naruto is more mass market appeal (since there are many young teens who like Naruto). Tales is something just not many know about.

Cause the sales in NA help , right now if Namco was to make Xillia 360\PS3 the x box version in Japan won't even sell 50k .
Then the sales in NA would have to make up for it , which i think won't happen since most tales fan have both HD systems any way .
So if they sell eg 250k on both systems they would still sell 175k only on 1 not worth the extra budget .

Maybe Namco decided to not release the Wii version because it lacks the epilogue.

Kagari said:
Well, there's a reason Xillia is where it is.
Yes, japanese sales.

Firestorm said:
holy crap that is some angry shit right there
I think that's Chris Brown's account, the "forehead" part is a pretty good hint.

Nakiro

Naruto has been going strong for a long while now. It's actually a really good game.
Naruto games have been around for over 10 years now.. CyberConnect 2 is rare to disappoint.

I think the biggest issues for Tales is like most people mentioned, the console exclusivity. It's almost like Kingdom Hears where you have an entry on every single console, but I really doubt many of them have amazing sales because they are all over the place. So you don't have a consistent fanbase.

Nakiro said:
Naruto has been going strong for a long while now. It's actually a really good game.
Naruto games have been around for over 10 years now.. CyberConnect 2 is rare to disappoint.

I think the biggest issues for Tales is like most people mentioned, the console exclusivity. It's almost like Kingdom Hears where you have an entry on every single console, but I really doubt many of them have amazing sales because they are all over the place. So you don't have a consistent fanbase.

Birth By Sleep, Im sure has good sales, it even got a "final mix"...

Aeana

BbS did better than 179 Days in Japan, but 179 Days did significantly better than BbS in the US. I think BbS would have done better in the US if the PSP wasn't so dead, though. Regardless, I don't think it has a big problem due to the games being scattered, at least not compared to Tales. In Japan, it was like 770k BbS / 550k 179 Days. I forget the US numbers but it was like 250k BbS and over 600k for 179 Days for sure, although the number is tough to nail down.

jackdoe

Aeana said:
BbS did better than 179 Days in Japan, but 179 Days did significantly better than BbS in the US. I think BbS would have done better in the US if the PSP wasn't so dead, though. Regardless, I don't think it has a big problem due to the games being scattered, at least not compared to Tales. In Japan, it was like 770k BbS / 550k 179 Days. I forget the US numbers but it was like 250k BbS and over 500k for 179 Days for sure (maybe in the 700s, I honestly forget; will check later).
Haha. Don't like the 358/2 title huh? I agree about it not having a sales problem, but from a story perspective it presents a huge problem that is not shared by the Tales of Series. You have some seriously important entries that are exclusive to a wide variety of handhelds. Hell, if you didn't own a DS, parts of the Birth By Sleep ending sequence/preview won't make sense (like Xion).

matmanx1

I love Tales games but discussing the series' checkered past in the States usually leaves me with a big frown on my face. So much fail from those who manage the series.

As I've said before I'm going to support Graces F on whatever platform we get it for and will continue to lobby for and support the series in the US. I loved Vesperia on the 360, I've got over 20 hours in Radiant Mythology on the PSP(and yikes at the sales of that game, btw), Tales of Eternia PSP is in the backlog, my copy of Abyss on the PS2 is in my living room and I'm likely picking up Symphonia 2 next week for my Wii. It's a frantic, scattered collection for Tales fans in the US but at least we're still getting new games!

And finally; Namco said not too long ago that they had learned their lesson about releasing games at the wrong time after Enslaved was sent to die. Let's hope they take that lesson to heart with Graces F. It needs to hit by early September at the latest or else it's going to get swallowed whole.

matmanx1 said:
And finally; Namco said not too long ago that they had learned their lesson about releasing games at the wrong time after Enslaved was sent to die. Let's hope they take that lesson to heart with Graces F. It needs to hit by early September at the latest or else it's going to get swallowed whole.

They should have done like NISA did (Disgaea 4)and started advertising for it now in magazines, open the official website up to info, active preorder links and etc, instead of playing tease the platform game. I wouldnt be surprised if they did Graces F right in late October...

john tv said:
Through Nov. 2010:

TOS: 470k
TOV = 145k (138k + 7k Premium Edition)
TOS:DONW = 138k
TOP: 88k
TOL: 83k
TOA: 72k
TOW:RM = 39k

I predict TOG will sell 2 million (if everyone here buys 10 copies)
Those Abyss sales are heartbreaking, I hope it does better on 3DS.

vall03

They should have done like NISA did (Disgaea 4)and started advertising for it now in magazines, open the official website up to info, active preorder links and etc, instead of playing tease the platform game. I wouldnt be surprised if they did Graces F right in late October...
Namco following the likes of NIS or Atlus? :lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Best selling third party game in Japan* was a Naruto game.

*On the GCN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom