• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces f site gets an update, Product details in English, Hint at platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gunloc said:
I think the question was just in reference to whether this is a good Tales game, not how it compares to other series/genres.
The question was "Is this Tales actually good anyway?". Seems ambiguous enough to allow comparisons to other action games imo. I liked the demo, so I'll be buying it, anyways.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
ShockingAlberto said:
Don't they just hit a "360" switch and it recompiles all the code?

I am 99% sure this is how all ports work!

Was this sarcasm? Cuz that's how I read it as...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
kayos90 said:
Was this sarcasm? Cuz that's how I read it as...

You should try porting a PS3 game to the 360. ;)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Defentally coming on the PS3, maybe on the Wii too. I say there is no way there is going to be a 360 version.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Normally I'd be ticked about the inevitable lack of a Wii announcement, especially given how well ToS and its sequel did over here but then I remember that this is Namco, the same company that looked at the amazing sales of SC2 GCN and the very respectable OXBOX sales and went, yep, SC III PS2 exclusive, left three DS Tales games over in Japan without even testing the market, and easily dozens of other boneheaded localization choices.

Aeana

All of the gameplay stuff in Graces is really solid. The combat stuff is great, but it also has a great title system (certainly the best in series by far), and cool item creation and cooking stuff. I could go on and on about how much I like all of that stuff. Team Destiny makes such great auxiliary systems. Rebirth has some great stuff in that area, as well.

It's just too bad that the PS3 version doesn't have the DS download play dungeon crawler.

Man God said:
Normally I'd be ticked about the inevitable lack of a Wii announcement, especially given how well ToS and its sequel did over here but then I remember that this is Namco, the same company that looked at the amazing sales of SC2 GCN and the very respectable OXBOX sales and went, yep, SC III PS2 exclusive, left three DS Tales games over in Japan without even testing the market, and easily dozens of other boneheaded localization choices.
Hey, at least they gave us Muscle March!

mjemirzian said:
The question was "Is this Tales actually good anyway?". Seems ambiguous enough to allow comparisons to other action games imo. I liked the demo, so I'll be buying it, anyways.
Fair enough.

Tales is definitely it's own "thing", so I always tend to think of it in comparison to other games in the series as opposed to other RPGs when people want to know if it's good.

lol there are still people who want Namco to say that this is coming to the PS3 to make sure?

Anyway... Release this in the summer and I will be very very happy, release it in the fall and I will be very very mad.

Gunloc said:
Fair enough.

Tales is definitely it's own "thing", so I always tend to think of it in comparison to other games in the series as opposed to other RPGs when people want to know if it's good.
I'm looking forward to it. The solid combat engine should allow for some fun and challenging skill based player restrictions. If you took the 'RPG' elements out of Graces (grinding, leveling up, etc.) you'd still have a solid combat engine, which is why I think it's a bit more comparable to pure action games or less RPG-ish action games.

jackdoe

Haha. I don't quite get why Namco Bandai doesn't just come out and say which platform it's coming out on. The PS3 version is a given, but their vagueness could lead to false hope (and bitter disappointment) for Wii and 360 only owners (just like what that Tales of Vesperia logo thrown into the teaser a couple months back did for PS3 only owners).

Yazuka

I really wish Namco could come out and give us a date soon. This is getting a bit frustrating. At least give us a trailer or something. *sigh*

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Man God said:
Totally sucks if you're a Wii owner, because not only would Namco not be bringing it over for Wii, but the PS3 localization announcement caused the ToG fan translation group to cancel their project. :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ShockingAlberto said:
Don't they just hit a "360" switch and it recompiles all the code?

I am 99% sure this is how all ports work!

The strangest thing about that switch/button is that it only works properly when the original development team hits it. If you give the task out to some other development team or even an intern, it all goes to crap.

klee123

Wow, reading through this thread.......it's amazing.

Ok, for those who are still in denial. Assuming the game does come out on platforms other than the PS3. It means that the other versions will be based off the Wii version simply due to the PR text on the website. However, they would have to re-port the Wii version to HD on the 360, Cafe or the NGP. Which ultimately means it's the shitty version, when placed alongside with the PS3 version.

Do any of you guys realize how retarded this sounds from a business perspective?

There's just three possibles outcomes here, pick the one that you like best:

A) Hometek are a bunch of twats (known already) and its just Graces F for PS3. Tension built for nothing, see Vesperia PS3 logo in the Graces F reveal.

B) Hometek are a bunch of twats (known already) and on top on the spotty localization record and niche sales they are adding an extra layer of effort/risk/money/expectations making Namco Japan port Graces F to Wii and/or 360 with the western market in mind, which Namco Japan wouldn't be doing for their own market.

C) Hometek are a bunch of twats (known already) but they still get paid by Namco Japan and they don't want to spoil Namco Japan porting Graces F with the japanese market in mind. This would mean Cafe and/or 3DS and/or NGP, as a Wii back-port or 360 port aren't reasonable choices with the japanese market in mind.

I pick A, fear their stupidity with B and would be surprised about C.

ReyVGM said:
Fuck namco is they don't release it for the Wii too.

Stunning Visuals - Enhanced HD graphics and improved outlining to bring attention to the detailed anime art style by renowned Tales artist Mutsumi Inomata. Beautiful and spacious environments allow players to explore a truly open world.

How is that possible on the Wii, its only SD, similar to the case of Sonic Generations missing Wii for HD visuals...

Experience all-new content exclusive to the PlayStation® 3 - Go deeper into the story of Tales of Graces f in the all-new “Lineage & Legacies” epilogue, featuring more than 10 hours of engrossing gameplay. Explore new dungeons, fight fierce new monsters, and wield newly created spells, attacks, and techniques!

If it was coming to the Wii, then I do not think they would use the word "exclusive."

NotebookJ2 said:
So uhm, why is everyone saying it would be a good idea to have it on the NGP/Cafe/etc.?

PSX TALES OF DESTINY 68,614
PSX TALES OF DESTINY II 56,864

Tales of Abyss - 68k
Tales of Legendia - 74k

Tales of Symphonia - 465k
Tales of Vesperia - 107k through December 2008
Don't have any exact numbers for ToS2 but I read it sold on par with Vesperia (as in, more in its first two months than any Tales game on any Sony platform ever LTD)

Paracelsus

Those numbers are meaningless. SO3 sold more than ToS and yet SO4 didn't even make it to 100k first month, and it's not like it did have no marketing. ToS success happened because of Nintendo marketing (and because it was twothousandsfrickinthree, when every Jrpg sold well), the same Nintendo that probably won't release Monado in the US because as of now it just does not give a damn.

DR2K

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Those numbers are meaningless. SO3 sold more than ToS and yet SO4 didn't even make it to 100k first month, and it's not like it did have no marketing. ToS success happened because of Nintendo marketing (and because it was twothousandsfrickinthree, when every Jrpg sold well), the same Nintendo that probably won't release Monado in the US because as of now it just does not give a damn.

Gamecube had a very shitty software situation at the time.

Jigsaw

Banned
mugurumakensei said:
Still, even ToS2 sold better than NA releases of Tales games on Sony platforms.

because there was no competition on either cube or wii,cube had like 3 jrpgs,ps2 had over 100

still,even tos2 sold poorly compared to tos1

matmanx1

mugurumakensei said:
Still, even ToS2 sold better than NA releases of Tales games on Sony platforms.

Gamecube was starving for RPG's and had a customer base that really wanted a good one. PS2 was not and had far more competition for the RPG dollar. There were other factors as well, like Abyss's long load times and release window and Legendia being essentially 2D that played into the equation. It's not as cut and dried as you think.

The only sure thing is that for a Tales game to have success in the US it needs to be advertised, it needs to be good and it needs to be released away from other big name games (hello FF series, CoD, etc.). Vesperia at least got 2 of these things right (it was good and it released at a good time) but definitely could have benefited from increased visibility.

As it is I believe Vesperia may have improved the Tales series standing in the US because it was such a great game. From working in a retail environment that primarily sells games I hear lots of positive buzz about Tales of Vesperia and have heard more than a few comments about "the next Tales game".

Paracelsus said:
Nintendo didn't advertise Symphonia in the US. It was all Namco and even then just shitty web stuff, much like what Legendia, Abyss and Vesperia saw. Nintendo did help with the english localization I've heard and obviously they published and promoted it for Europe. Symphonia also outsold every PS2 JRPG besides FFX/X-2/XII, Kingdom Hearts 1-2, SO3 and Xenosaga I in the US, so it wasn't even really a case of business as usual for JRPG sales there at the time. Symphonia's success was really due to positive word of mouth, and sites like IGN really championing it with their audience.

ToS2 was a budget cash in that was basically sent to die and still sold decently, which is pretty telling. These figures aren't exactly 'meaningless' they pretty clearly illustrate where the franchise has done better and where it's done worse.

nincompoop said:
Probably wouldn't be too effective overall since the Tales series has always sold like crap on Sony systems in the US.

This is a parody of the thing where people concoct tortured and overly circuitous explanations of the reasons that a specific game can't sell well on a Nintendo platform, right?

MoogPaul

All I know is that they better start releasing real info soon because I'm starting to lose interest. It's this type of bullshit that makes me enjoy Nintendo's other brand of "announce game a month before it comes out" bullshit.

Players can join the battle at any time simply by plugging in a controller!
Wii version doesn't support GC controller. only 360/PS3 have controllers players can plug in. too easy Namco.

side question: what did ToGF do about the title that required the DS download minigame?

charlequin said:
This is a parody of the thing where people concoct tortured and overly circuitous explanations of the reasons that a specific game can't sell well on a Nintendo platform, right?
Evidently. It's resulted in the same-ish thing happening, but sort of the reverse (GC starved, 2003 JRPGs sold anyway, Abyss had load times, mean FFXII, etc).

Oh well, I had hope for a Wii version, but at least now we can play the fucking game in english (eighteen years later).

Graces + Abyss = Tales of the Revival

Jigsaw said:
because there was no competition on either cube or wii,cube had like 3 jrpgs,ps2 had over 100
Which just proves his point further? Wii is starving for good games, especially RPGs.

With all that said, Graces is coming for the PS3 and that's it, let's move on with our lives and wait until Xenoblade
as it makes its way to Europe

lol wut. They removed the entire description in the Features section and now it just says "Coming Soon..."

What a trainwreck.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well what was there pretty much confirms PS3 release and them removing it pretty much seals the deal. Be free from the trolling my people!

Vamphuntr

Bel Marduk said:
lol wut. They removed the entire description in the Features section and now it just says "Coming Soon..."

What a trainwreck.

Incoming lame promotional puzzle containing a warped image of a PS3.

Ikkarus

Kagari said:
What are you playing at Namco...
Isn't this Namco just being Namco?

In other words not having much of a clue about promoting their games successfully? :)

I do wonder if this will get a EU release though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom