• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria announced for PS3 [announced worldwide]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

animation4y6j3l.gif

m0t0k1

He said console JRPG king anyway, so by default 3DS couldn't win there anyway.

Though admittedly against 360 and Wii it's almost more like a one sided slaughter, the only thing keeping it from being that way is that Wii may've peaked higher than the PS3 has (Xenoblade) and that will probably change with Persona 5 anyway.

3ds is a console. Anyways the combat system looks great and from what i saw on stream, looks like the world also looks a lot better. This and persona 5 look like a great way to close out the ps3 system.

K.Sabot

I like how much more understated the costumes are relative to past games (not including Vesperia which was brilliant in that regard).

chrono01

The game has been confirmed as an open-world. O_O

Edit - Never mind, I misread. Apparently the areas are supposed to be larger, but I don't believe it's been clearly stated whether it will be true open world or not.

Sley looks kind of like a mix between Jude, Luke, and maybe even Kratos to me. I don't particularly care for his design at the moment, but Alicia looks cool. I'm one of those who would have preferred something in the vein of Vesperia graphically but this still looks quite nice. Very curious to see more of the battle system.

I need more footage but his run animation really stood out in the short field footage as it seemed extremely smooth. Definitely a big step up from Xillia if the stream was anything to go by.

Shahed

Expected PS3. Small part hoped for cross gen since we won't see it till 2015 at a guess. Still I would need to keep my PS3 around at least two more years for Persona 5 anyway so it should be good. More visual variety please! As in scenery and monsters

Luckly every game I'm interested in has been localized.

Depends where you are, but supposedly one of the best games, let alone RPG's I want haven't been localised. But we're getting sidetracked here

chrono01

I should clarify, I don't think it was explicitly stated that it will be an open-world, but it was heavily hinted at. From the screens, as well as the way it seems to be presented, if it's not truly open world it should be pretty close.

Either way, I'm excited!

Havent jrpg's always be kind of open world. You could go anywhere in a tales world big world map big towns? what is going to be different.
Not really. Take Dragon Quest VIII's map, for example. All of the areas are presented on the map at once, with the towns/dungeons obviously being separate. Tales of Xillia, on the other hand, is broken into separate tiny areas.

Also, ufotable!!!

zeopower6

Sley looks kind of like a mix between Jude, Luke, and maybe even Kratos to me. I don't particularly care for his design at the moment, but Alicia looks cool. I'm one of those who would have preferred something in the vein of Vesperia graphically but this still looks quite nice. Very curious to see more of the battle system.

He reminds me of Collette a bit tbh with his color scheme and cape-yness.

Eusis

3ds is a console. Anyways the combat system looks great and from what i saw on stream, looks like the world also looks a lot better. This and persona 5 look like a great way to close out the ps3 system.
Technically true, but in these discussions it's usually used to differentiate from handhelds, especially as there's no non-cubersome way to refer to them as distinct from that except maybe TV consoles, but then you start bringing up PSP's ability to hook to a TV and the Vita TV and well fuck it.

Though even disregarding that it's in sort of an odd position, as technically it really should be held up to the DS for being of the same generation, it's just that PS3's really picking up now that DS is retired and 3DS is coming in, and similar happened with GBA/PS2 anyway in that the DS came out just as the PS2 started getting lots of great RPGs.

EDIT: And this open world talk has me interested. It's like a lot of these open world games coming up has reminded JRPG developers of the genre's own roots and to stop going down the path of ever increasing linearity that the likes of FFX and XIII REALLY pushed.

dellingr

A rather plain looking guy with brown hair and a girl with a side pig tail. This sounds familiar. Drawing inspiration from the Final Fantasy XIII series again?

Yaoibot

This looks interesting. The first real change to the Tales battle-system that we've seen in ages. Like many of you I feel a touch of reserve at the fact that it's not a "current-gen" iteration. Maybe a true HD port will pop up down the line. I have a JRPG/ RPG addiction, so I'll pick it up. But between 2014's growing slate and some top tier MORPHS coming out (EQN and Black Gold) I may not get around to playing it.

Yes, I tend to buy more games than I will ever play to support the genres I like.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, his head is really tiny. That's the main thing I took from this!

Interested to see more, anyway.

Eusis

Few years ago I wouldn't have been optimistic but I think after ToX, ToX2 and ToS HD we probably don't have to worry about a localized version.
And really the biggest problem was likely that there were way too many Tales games coming out and they were too text intensive to actually tackle them all with good results, so they had to choose their battles. Not that there weren't some empty periods SOMETHING probably could have been released in though.

m0t0k1

Think xenoblade open world, not regular map style JRPG open world.

I loved Xenoblade but there was just to much walking endleslly in that game. I prefered it more confined like in the last story. But if the characters are good and story is nice sign me up for a western release :).

RyoonZ

Banned
Why is PS3 keep getting new games and a JRPG at that while the Wii and Xbox360 were abandoned like a year or two? I mean the Wii is a clear winner sales wise but why was it abandoned so quickly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom