• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria 3rd Trailer (long version), reelease date : 18th August 2016

varkuriru

Hmm, looking good. Hopefully this one has a meatier plot than Zestiria - although what I really want is a better progression system. Just scrap the one from Zestiria and start fresh.

kewlmyc

I'll make an avatar bet that this game is coming out in the US before the year's end. I say all of yall are high.

I don't care about avatar bets, I'm just confused as to where you confidence that this is coming out this year is coming from, considering every Tales game other than Dawn of the New World and Vesperia have needed anywhere between 7 months to 2 years to release outside of Japan.

Link1110

That cover makes her look just like Rutee. Given the Destiny vibe and the fact that I can't see the name Berseria without thinking of Harold Berserius from Destiny 2, and I know her brother was in destiny 1 though may have had a name change in the localization

All together I really want it to be like Destiny 3 or have a connection with those games, but I know I'm just seeing myself up for disappointment

koutoru

I really enjoyed Zestiria so I have high hopes for this one as well.
Hopefully after this game they can finally ditch the 7th gen consoles, maybe even get a new engine specifically for 8th gen and up down the line.

I quite liked Zesteria, issues and all, so I'm down.

Plus I played ToZ on PS3 back during it's JP launch, so I'm excited to get a smooth gameplay experience on the PS4. Trailer looked good, and I like how bizarre of a mish mash the party appears to be.

1626080940558929671.jpg
6598262736833873674.jpg

Artwork for this outfit

pSpojfq.jpg

http://talesofberseria.tales-ch.jp/memo/

Byvar

Can't wait. I really liked Zestiria - didn't really mind the problems everyone talks about. Sure, the skill system was weird but it wasn't necessary to complete the game, and with a bit of thinking you could get pretty good skills.
Anyway, I still don't really like Velvet's default outfit. The outfit in the post above me looks much better. I hope it will be optional, but given that it's Tales I'm sure it will be.
The cover art looks so good too -- just give it to me now!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I almost wish villager Velvet was the default main outfit. She looks nice there. :/

Beats

Eh, trailer didn't do much for me. I think I'll just skip this one after being burned by the last few entries.

StereoVsn

Yeah, looks good. Fine with 2017 for the west really, with FFXV, Persona 5 (?), Pokemon and Dragon Quest the end of 2016 is pretty stacked JRPG wise.
Are you talking Japan with those releases? You are not going to see DQ11 in the West this year and probably not P5 either (God help you if you are in Europe).

Edit: Personally I am not picking up this on release despite liking Zesteria. I am still bitter about Symphonia disaster on PC.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Terms.

If either the U.S. or EU release date for Tales of Berseria is on or prior to the calendar end date December 31, 2016, the opposite party accepts the punishment as laid out below. If the release date is after that date then kayos90 will accept the punishment as laid out below.

Punishment

1.) Losing party must change the avatar of the victor's choice for 1 month.
2.) For every month between now and the reveal of the US/EU release date adds one more month.

Who accepts?

yami4ct

New outfit looks better than that torn up mess she normally wears. A bit bland, but it'll do. I'm sure the game will have at least 1 or 2 more non DLC outfits anyway.

Terms.

If either the U.S. or EU release date for Tales of Berseria is on or prior to the calendar end date December 31, 2016, the opposite party accepts the punishment as laid out below. If the release date is after that date then kayos90 will accept the punishment as laid out below.

Punishment

1.) Losing party must change the avatar of the victor's choice for 1 month.
2.) For every month between now and the reveal of the US/EU release date adds one more month.

Who accepts?

I'll take you up on that. There's no way Berseria releases stateside this year. Not only do tales games, on average, take longer, but it'd be competing with Final Fantasy XV and maybe Persoan 5 in its potential release window.

Hmm, looking good. Hopefully this one has a meatier plot than Zestiria - although what I really want is a better progression system. Just scrap the one from Zestiria and start fresh.

Yeah, Zestiria's leveling and skill stuff was just about my least favorite I've ever encountered in a JRPG.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
New outfit looks better than that torn up mess she normally wears. A bit bland, but it'll do. I'm sure the game will have at least 1 or 2 more non DLC outfits anyway.

I'll take you up on that. There's no way Berseria releases stateside this year. Not only do tales games, on average, take longer, but it'd be competing with Final Fantasy XV and maybe Persoan 5 in its potential release window.

Done. Prepare to lose.

Nice looking trailer. The 60 fps is appreciated but I'm fine with or without it personally. I hope it comes stateside this year but it wouldn't surprise me if this were an early 2017 game for the west.

raven777

The genre name this time is: 君が君らしく生きるRPG

It translate to something like "RPG where you live like yourself"

Ufotable's Velvet artwork for preorder bonus

Datschge

Director : Yoshimasa Tanaka
Is this his debut as director? A quick search tells me that he has been working on Tales since Symphonia at least.

Tales of Series IP Supervisor : Kai Tanaka
Is this a new position? First time I have noticed it.

Datschge, where art thou?
Hello there.

Producer : Yasuhiro Fukaya, formerly from the Namco quality assurance dept,
- notably QA director for Vesperia

Director : Yoshimasa Tanaka, long time Tales Studio/"Team Destiny" member,
- battle program support for Destiny 2, Rebirth, Destiny PS2,
- program support for Symphonia,
- battle planning for Hearts DS
- game design lead for Xillia
- assistant director for Zestiria

Tales of Series IP Supervisor : Kai Tanaka, until very recently Namco promotion dept
sounds like he's there to manage Baba's PR output after the mess he caused with Alisha

Is it confirmed that Go Shiina is not involved this time around?
No, but he is confirmed not to be in the trailer credits (which covers like 1% of the complete staff listing). =P

varkuriru

Nice looking trailer. The 60 fps is appreciated but I'm fine with or without it personally. I hope it comes stateside this year but it wouldn't surprise me if this were an early 2017 game for the west.

I mostly agree, I played Zestiria at 30 fps first and then at 60 towards the end. The arts animations, so smooth.. It felt so much better. Its kinda hard to put in to words for me lol.

I really hope this game capitalises on its world setting.

Zestiria continually hinted at a larger picture regarding its world and culture but then never expanded upon any of it, despite it sounding and looking more interesting than the games actually story.

Considering that the world setting is normally revealed to be an integral part of the plot of most, if not all, of the Tales games, I found it very odd that that the main plot of Zestiria never connected with the world it took place within.

I like the cover art and the trailer, but I still think the game is going to be lacking like the last few. It's been a while since this series has been great.

Kasumin

I like the cover art and the trailer, but I still think the game is going to be lacking like the last few. It's been a while since this series has been great.

I actually think this could be good compared to the last few? Though at this point I'm most interested in where they inevitably drop the ball. Will it be in the last act? Character development? Story coherence? Game mechanics? Or all four like in Zestiria?

Amused at Datschge's theory that the IP Supervisor is there to keep track of Baba after his major fumble with Zestiria. Man, what a mess that game was in more ways than one.

If Naoki Yamamoto is main scenario writer again, though, my anticipation for the game will drop by 70%. The dude has a bizarre fixation with fetuses, wombs, and infanticide (main scenario writer for Hearts, Xillia 2, and Zestiria). And with Velvet as the main character... I shudder to think how such a writing team led by him would handle her. I've been getting Motomu Toriyama vibes with the failure to handle female characters well lately in Tales games (since Xillia 2, anyway).

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm hyped. I completely skipped Zestiria so I'm looking forward to another tales game. I just hope the connection to Zestiria is minimal
non-existent
and that it releases in 2016 stateside on PC.

Bladenic

I actually think this could be good compared to the last few? Though at this point I'm most interested in where they inevitably drop the ball. Will it be in the last act? Character development? Story coherence? Game mechanics? Or all four like in Zestiria?

Amused at Datschge's theory that the IP Supervisor is there to keep track of Baba after his major fumble with Zestiria. Man, what a mess that game was in more ways than one.

If Naoki Yamamoto is main scenario writer again, though, my anticipation for the game will drop by 70%. The dude has a bizarre fixation with fetuses, wombs, and infanticide (main scenario writer for Hearts, Xillia 2, and Zestiria). And with Velvet as the main character... I shudder to think how such a writing team led by him would handle her. I've been getting Motomu Toriyama vibes with the failure to handle female characters well lately in Tales games (since Xillia 2, anyway).

Lmao please elaborate on infatuation with wombs/fetuses and how female characters haven't been handled well

Kasumin

Lmao please elaborate on infatuation with wombs/fetuses and how female characters haven't been handled well

Hearts:
The main villain ends up hiding in someone's womb.

Xillia 2:
The land of Canaan is shaped like a giant fetus. Kresniks born with pocket watches have the watches develop with them in the womb which borders on body horror territory but the extra material just treats this like it's not something freakish.

Zestiria:
The infanticide of baby Mikleo to curse Heldalf. This method of cursing someone was never hinted at and never mentioned again. So... kill babies because hey, it's dark and edgy.

As for its portrayal of women, I take issue with
two Kresnik sisters being fridged to give Bisley a reason to hate Chronos.
And alt Milla
exists as a walking sacrificial lamb to make a cheap appeal to emotion while the game tries to tell the player that she chose to sacrifice herself like Milla did in the first game. She didn't. She was railroaded by the plot into dying off.
And even regular Milla
gets kicked down a few notches on the pantheon of gods in the Xillia universe.
In the first game, Maxwell was supremely powerful. Once they introduce
Chronos and Origin, suddenly Chronos can send Milla into the void without breaking a sweat.
Though that also just feeds into Xillia 2's reliance on forced helplessness to drive the plot.

Kohaku spends most of ToH as
as an emotionless shell.

And finally, in Zestiria,
the whole Alisha and Rose thing. It's not that I love Alisha, but I'm really disturbed at how the writers saw a need to kick her down to make Rose look better. As though they weren't confident enough in their own writing to make Rose appealing on her own. The result, IMO, makes Alisha and Rose worse characters.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Kohaku spends most of ToH as
as an emotionless shell.
"Most" is grossly overstating that and it has nothing to do with the fact that she is a woman. She's a very strong character once
she gets her personality back
, and is even a fire elemental character that fights with a bo staff, which is rare for the "priestess" trope.

Top Bottom