• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 PC: GAF Tournament of Victory

Firestorm

Wouldn't warpath be better for the final round that round 1?

Dustbowl + Gravelpit + Granary + Warpath might take a looong time.

Firestorm said:
Wouldn't warpath be better for the final round that round 1?

Dustbowl + Gravelpit + Granary + Warpath might take a looong time.

Yeah, warpath is for final round.

ROUND ONE:

1) Granary (first team to 3 points)
2) Dustbowl (each team attacks/defends each stage; 6 total stages)
3) Gravelpit (each team attacks/defends twice; 4 total rounds)

FINAL ROUND:

1) Map of choice by Team with highest stage points from ROUND ONE
2) Warpath (w/30 min timer)

Javaman

omgimaninja said:
Yeah, warpath is for final round.

ROUND ONE:

1) Granary (first team to 3 points)
2) Dustbowl (each team attacks/defends each stage; 6 total stages)
3) Gravelpit (each team attacks/defends twice; 4 total rounds)

FINAL ROUND:

1) Map of choice by Team with highest stage points from ROUND ONE
2) Warpath (w/30 min timer)

That looks good to me apart from the length of the total match... We're talking a couple of hours probably. :eek:P

We'll need to figure out a way to keep people off of the server (password?) and how to record the matches.
I can join the Thursday and Saturday game in order to shuffle people around, but I don't have password setting access, or a way to turn off auto team balance.

YakiSOBA

Javaman said:
That looks good to me apart from the length of the total match... We're talking a couple of hours probably. :eek:P

We'll need to figure out a way to keep people off of the server (password?) and how to record the matches.
I can join the Thursday and Saturday game in order to shuffle people around, but I don't have password setting access, or a way to turn off auto team balance.

I think Icy said he was going to get with you to pass you admin access or some such?

If Dustbowl stages run too long, Gravelpit will be cut down to 1 attack/defend for each team.

Server will hopefully be locked w/new password for Saturday, and different password for Sunday match to prevent idiots from joining.

"Don't think they made a group on Steam yet."

Nope we haven't. You can just tell him to friends request some of us on the team so we can keep him posted if we ever do make a group.

n0b

omgimaninja said:
If Dustbowl stages run too long, Gravelpit will be cut down to 1 attack/defend for each team.

Server will hopefully be locked w/new password for Saturday, and different password for Sunday match to prevent idiots from joining.
Why not just stick to one map per match and you play the map out fully, I don't see why we're trying to pack in so much into this first weekend. A one hour match is easy for everybody to be there for, but its a bit more difficult to make people keep 2-3 hours open for a match in the middle of the day. We don't have to be on to final match after this weekend, we could have each team play each other once, a couple weekends in a row, and the teams that won the most would go to the final match.

n0b said:
Why not just stick to one map per match and you play the map out fully, I don't see why we're trying to pack in so much into this first weekend. A one hour match is easy for everybody to be there for, but its a bit more difficult to make people keep 2-3 hours open for a match in the middle of the day. We don't have to be on to final match after this weekend, we could have each team play each other once, a couple weekends in a row, and the teams that won the most would go to the final match.

I don't want to drag it on forever since we don't know the status of the server past January.

If yall like the idea of just doing one map or so, that's fine. CUBEs and EAD decide what you like best and we can run with it Saturday :)

Icy

Banned
omgimaninja said:
I don't want to drag it on forever since we don't know the status of the server past January.

If yall like the idea of just doing one map or so, that's fine. CUBEs and EAD decide what you like best and we can run with it Saturday :)

its staying.

1-D_FTW

Confidence Man said:
2 maps with a 30 minute timelimit each would be good.

You can't have time limits. Dustbowl and Gravel Pit aren't fair if both sides don't do things an equal number of times. I'm not a proponent of marathons, but we can't be arbitrarily killing a map 3 minutes before something is gonna finish (If it's attack/defend.)

1-D_FTW said:
You can't have time limits. Dustbowl and Gravel Pit aren't fair if both sides don't do things an equal number of times. I'm not a proponent of marathons, but we can't be arbitrarily killing a map 3 minutes before something is gonna finish (If it's attack/defend.)

Ah, you're right. One map is fine, then.

Firestorm

b-b-but dustbowl! :(

sorry we must be so hard to please puyo.

Would Dustbowl + Gravelpit be too similar? Nobody likes Granary do they?

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:

and then what if we have a stale mate for 3 hours? Thats why time limits exist. I agree 30 minutes is kinda meh for those maps. 45-60 minutes is fine imo.

I think having a Well/Granary (5pt capture) and a Gravelpit/Dustbowl (attack-defend 3 points) is a nice mix because they require different techniques.

1-D_FTW

Icy said:
and then what if we have a stale mate for 3 hours? Thats why time limits exist. I agree 30 minutes is kinda meh for those maps. 45-60 minutes is fine imo.

Then Dustbowl should probably be discarded. Dustbowl never seems to linger for me, but maybe that's because I have so much fun and time flies. I've never actually stopwatched it.

But if the attacking team is constantly capturing the CP at the last moment and wins all three stages and the next team gets to capture Stage 1 before the timer expires, how is a 3-1 score of any relevance?

Or even if they get stopped on Stage 3 and the next team captures Stage one when it ends (2-2). Who would be declared the winner in that? It's entirely possible the 1st team is superior and would have stopped them on Stage 2 for a 3-2 win. Or they could have gotten rolled 4-2.

I guess that's why Dustbowl isn't a competitive map. Though I don't think we're gonna have a full house and the less people there are, the harder it is to defend and the quicker it's gonna go.

omgimaninja said:
I think having a Well/Granary (5pt capture) and a Gravelpit/Dustbowl (attack-defend 3 points) is a nice mix because they require different techniques.

As much as I hate Granary the map and think Well is a lot funner, it's a good indicator of who the better team at that style is. It's seems like one team always dominates and dominates quickly.

1-D_FTW said:
Then Dustbowl should probably be discarded. Dustbowl never seems to linger for me, but maybe that's because I have so much fun and time flies. I've never actually stopwatched it.

But if the attacking team is constantly capturing the CP at the last moment and wins all three stages and the next team gets to capture Stage 1 before the timer expires, how is a 3-1 score of any relevance?

Or even if they get stopped on Stage 3 and the next team captures Stage one when it ends (2-2). Who would be declared the winner in that? It's entirely possible the 1st team is superior and would have stopped them on Stage 2 for a 3-2 win. Or they could have gotten rolled 4-2.

I guess that's why Dustbowl isn't a competitive map. Though I don't think we're gonna have a full house and the less people there are, the harder it is to defend and the quicker it's gonna go.

Maps only change between rounds. That's why Warpath would go on forever, even after the timelimit expired.

Capndrake

Could we maybe start scrimmages an hour earlier for Europeans and anybody else who's on? Everybody else can just join whenever they get on but at least it allows us to get some practice in.

I don't think I'll be able to play. Way to busy right now, the entire weekend is no good for me. I wont be able to join until well after the matches have finished.

"I don't think I'll be able to play. Way to busy right now, the entire weekend is no good for me. I wont be able to join until well after the matches have finished."

Can you play a night during the week or sunday night? Our match is getting postponed slightly due to icy being gone for the weekend anyhow.

Kade

How about we get some substitutes for the matches before hand?

Seems like a lot of people can't make it.

"How about we get some substitutes for the matches before hand?

Seems like a lot of people can't make it."

Well it's already been argreed that Kirby Allstars match will be pushed back and besides we can't substitute half the team or that defeats the purpose. :/

Top Bottom