• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Just poking through to say Tekken Bowl is damn fun and frustrating all at once lol

Power characters seem pretty busted, you can get easy strikes if you just chuck it slightly to the left (or right, depending on hand) if you just throw it hard enough. The characters with low strength, high spin seem like they actually need to aim in comparison.

GrayFoxPL

It's not really the damage that gets me so much as his combos are pretty inconsistent, especially if you're a little off axis. b2F~N will whiff or make the rest of the combo whiff. I'm not even talking about those crazy multi-b2, multi-sway insanity combos. I usually keep to simpler stuff, but even then in the back of my mind I half expect the combo to drop.

Something like side-step u/f+4 needs a whole other combo and it's hard to tell on the fly.
Block Drag's b214 and hop knee the sweep and it shoots Drag sideways so it's almost impossible to combo. It's weird. I've been trying to fit in acid storm more since that forces the opponent to re-align.

WS23 is another one that stinks. I guess players should treat it like a lesser punish, and leave the added ff+3 to ballers as its crazy to pull off in clutch situations. I even see Japanese players just do WS23 and go for oki instead.

I've noticed that in general I'm going for less launchers and just trying to force as many 50/50s as possible. Do 'lesser' combos (even though they end up doing 58-60 in open field) into oki that can lead to a 50/50. I noticed I do f+3+4 a LOT more often than in TTT2. Largely because dashing in and doing it while they get up with back has to be blocked.

His pokes feel like they have less range too?

I guess the grumbling comes from people expecting Lee to be made way more 'solid' since tailspin gives everyone wall carry and okizeme changed.

EDIT: I'm still having fun with him, it's just a tad bit stressful, lol.

This is all true and the combo scaling really hurts him. I can't remember now but I think something like uf+4, 4,u+3, b+2~f, b+2~f, df+3,4,3 did more damage than his wall less screw combos. That's why I see no reason why ws+2,3 would not launch again(TAG2 way) in supposed balance patch. Just lower it's damage as a launcher and painful scaling will take out the rest.

And get f+3,3,3... series more damage because this shit is pathetic now.

Poor Lars on a bench with Kuma, Chloe and Gigas.

I gotta use him some more.

Hot Take: Lee isn't bad in the slightest and if you're playing for combo damage, tracking, wiff punishment, poking, & CHs you're playing him wrong.

Fixed

Shaheen literally does everything Lee does better than Lee.
They couldn't even take Lee in a new direction, they just made him a worse version of Tag 2 Lee.
Even if he was a direct port from Tag 2 with no nerfs the character would be midtier at best. His nerfs were absurd.

Numb

Lol and that's cool. Play easier characters lol
The way I pick characters to play is the scrubbiest way
First I look at looks and gameplay. If they are both cool it's time to look at how easy the chosen bunch are. Then those that pass the easy test I just pick who's the toppest tier in order

pZogTha.png

Y'all go ahead and judge i got no shame in my game

Sayah

Fixed

They couldn't even take Lee in a new direction, they just made him a worse version of Tag 2 Lee.
Even if he was a direct port from Tag 2 with no nerfs the character would be midtier at best. His nerfs were absurd.

This!

I really was looking forward to using Lee this time around but they nerfed him for no reason at all. Why in the eff would you make his ws punishment so weak.

The way I pick characters to play is the scrubbiest way
First I look at looks and gameplay. If they are both cool it's time to look at how easy the chosen bunch are. Then those that pass the easy test I just pick who's the toppest tier in order

pZogTha.png

Y'all go ahead and judge i got no shame in my game
I can't judge you for that, it's not like you play Panda/Kuma or anything.
Right?

Sayah

d+3,2 is the infamous low mid launcher, but it only launches on ch. It's -13 so punish it every time.

d+4,1 is common poke, cancellable to sidestep, but it's a low, high.

df+3,2 is another common mid, high poke that gets Nina in and from that she can go into crouchdash or sidestep. It's one of her best tools. Ideally you want to stay of it's rage by constant sidesteps or backdashing. Easier said then done.

uf+4,3,4 is another thing you must watch out it's high,low, high, so ducking kills it but it's a natural combo. Also last hit is cancellable to sidestep, but if you react right after blocking the low portion you should be able to punish her anyway.

df+3,4,3+4 and df+3,4,4 are the abusable high damage strings first ends with safe mid other with low. Generally you need to guess, especially online, because even if it starts as mid,high, it's very hard to react to.

Watch out for her f+3 it's a 2 hit kick that's very plus on block. Don't get fooled to pushing buttons after it. You can duck the second hit but needs specific timing and precision. Just escape by backdashing or sidestepping after blocking it because she gonna try something.

Watch out for her favorite throw uf+1+2 where she flips you over. They often use it after spamming df+1 or ss+1. Hurts at the wall like hell. Break is 1+2.

She has 3 dangerous sweeps that launch on ch. fc df+4, ss+4 and qcf+3(more like a slide) remember they are all launch punishable. Safest is ss+4 at -15, rest is half an hour punish window.

That's only a few out of like 50.

All that "spasming" comes from her cancellable strings when she sidestep into 1 and that leads to her crouch dash or back sway that can be cancelled and results in more spasm. She has multitude of options out of her sidestep, sways and crouch dashes it's too much for a short post.

You need to know that most of her strings are stuff like mid high, high high, high low, low high so theoretically crouch jab stops most of her options after first move. I say theoretically because more advanced players seeing your crouch jabs will bait them and low crush them with uf+1 it's like an orbital that launches.

Still, d+1 or other crouch jab is your best bet for now.

Better to abuse it against her and risk low crush than get sucked into her vortex and die trying to guess every follow up.

When you score that d+1 go to offensive right away. Nina has very weak punishes until you're -15.

General rule don't let her throw you into the vortex, use any means to break her rhythm. And you're right about keeping her at the distance.

All the info in this post seems accurate except her d+3,2 doesn't need CH to launch. If the opponent is ducking, it'll still launch without CH.

As you mention, the vast majority of Nina's abused strings are easily punishable by ducking highs but you have to have fast reactions and reflexes. My new favorite string to abuse with her is d+3,4,3+4. Even on block, it puts the opponent in crouch, which I don't recall if it did that in T6 or TTT2. I also love 1,2 and d/f 1,2 can go straight into sidestep now. Qcf+1 is great now. It's a high now but really useful move in combos. Though, I wish qcf+2 could go back to being a launcher.

GrayFoxPL

Damn, shame it was such a short Tekken session today but a great one. I was dropping people left and right with Lee. So fun. Everything clicked, everything worked.

KfqIGsf.jpg

All the info in this post seems accurate except her d+3,2 doesn't need CH to launch. If the opponent is ducking, it'll still launch without CH.

As you mention, the vast majority of Nina's abused strings are easily punishable by ducking highs but you have to have fast reactions and reflexes. My new favorite string to abuse with her is d+3,4,3+4. Even on block, it puts the opponent in crouch, which I don't recall if it did that in T6 or TTT2. I also love 1,2 and d/f 1,2 can go straight into sidestep now. Qcf+1 is great now. It's a high now but really useful move in combos. Though, I wish qcf+2 could go back to being a launcher.

I meant that d+3,2 is not nc. Yeah they gave her new string that's + on block but it's worth to note they took out all d+4 lows from any string that has d+3 type animation so stuff like 3,3,d+4, df+3,2,d+3,d+4 ect.

It's good that qcf+2 doesn't launch because she'd be too good. Online lag makes her unstoppable sometimes already. Nerf stick can possibly hit her to no one's surprise.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
This!

I really was looking forward to using Lee this time around but they nerfed him for no reason at all. Why in the eff would you make his ws punishment so weak.

WS2,3 is like 14 frames now, and we'll have to treat it like a lesser punish. The best thing to do now with big blocks like Law's dragon tail is to do FC+u/f+4 (flip kick) into a 70+ combo. Try to see where you can do this move when ducking highs, too. Of course, old habits persist and now I'm kicking myself for using WS2,3 to punish hellsweeps. If you're super sharp, you can crouch cancel blazing kick to punish those lows, especially Eddy's strings that might push you out of the flip kick's range (but comboing off of blazing kick sucks now, so I don't bother).

It seems like they tried to give Lee a 'full set' of punishers. He's got a full set of 10,11,12,13,14, and 15 frame punishers in standing a WS...But honestly I wish ff+1+2 was like how it was in TTT2. It might be silly, but I liked that even though it was h,h it jailed and it was safe. Combined with the forward dash it was a decent way of closing the gap in spacing (as long as you weren't too predictable). It's nice to punish hopkicks better, but I wonder sometimes...

GrayFoxPL

WS2,3 is like 14 frames now, and we'll have to treat it like a lesser punish. The best thing to do now with big blocks like Law's dragon tail is to do FC+u/f+4 (flip kick) into a 70+ combo. Try to see where you can do this move when ducking highs, too. Of course, old habits persist and now I'm kicking myself for using WS2,3 to punish hellsweeps. If you're super sharp, you can crouch cancel blazing kick to punish those lows, especially Eddy's strings that might push you out of the flip kick's range (but comboing off of blazing kick sucks now, so I don't bother).

It seems like they tried to give Lee a 'full set' of punishers. He's got a full set of 10,11,12,13,14, and 15 frame punishers in standing a WS...But honestly I wish ff+1+2 was like how it was in TTT2. It might be silly, but I liked that even though it was h,h it jailed and it was safe. Combined with the forward dash it was a decent way of closing the gap in spacing (as long as you weren't too predictable). It's nice to punish hopkicks better, but I wonder sometimes...

Yeah, flip kick damage is very juicy. It's just hard to remember in the fight that he even has that move and I too punish hellsweeps with ws+2,3 out of habbit. That jUF 4 after blazing kick just looks weird now, hella stiff hit reaction, why did they mess with it?
Anyway after blazing kick stuff like ws+2,3 into b+2,4,3 works and is more reliable sometimes.

I like the f+1+2 they took from Revo. It's a instant solid punish. I understand why you'd prefer tag 2 version but I didn't find a good way to punish with it.

First off Ws+23 was always 14 frames, second flip kick is pretty useless. If you block DT you should be delay hopkicking. Flip kick is i19 to hit, there are very few lows that are -19 punishable but not -23 which is delay hopkick. He doesn't have a solid launch for 15 through 18 frames crouching. So he can't launch say King's db3 without JF Knee cancelling.

TBH this wouldn't bother me cause it's like BR but he doesn't has his tools from BR so it's not equivalent.

I've actually been seeing less Kazumi "I will jam and chop spam you forever until I do my command throw or finish the jab string" Mishima lately, (thank goodness).

Still see Bryan, Law, King, Josie, and Dragunov spammers. Every one of my matches is a random character not in this short list, and then one of these.

mooncakes

I reached the upper gold/yellow or whatever color that is but I still don't know jack about the game.I am free to pretty much everything when I am defending. I don't really know like 80% of the characters movelists so im pretty much guessing most of the time when I am defending with unfamiliar moves.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
First off Ws+23 was always 14 frames, second flip kick is pretty useless. If you block DT you should be delay hopkicking. Flip kick is i19 to hit, there are very few lows that are -19 punishable but not -23 which is delay hopkick. He doesn't have a solid launch for 15 through 18 frames crouching. So he can't launch say King's db3 without JF Knee cancelling.

TBH this wouldn't bother me cause it's like BR but he doesn't has his tools from BR so it's not equivalent.

Ehhh... Delay hopkick is too hard for me. It always doesn't hit right. My reflexes suck too so I need those extra frames.

If WS2,3 was always 14 frames then that's even worse. It's a total, crappy nerf.

MechaX

Fought my first Yoshimitsu today, and... whoa.

Couldn't tell heads or tails of what that dude was doing sometimes. I got bodied for the most part, but I expected as such (dude had like 200 wins to my 22) and I still managed to steal a game and a handful of rounds off of him.

But I realize that I do need to sit back down with all the characters; I love Katarina, but I admit I actually need to learn stuff rather than 3 and 4 spam with the occasional back 2 launcher.

Numb

Couldn't tell heads or tails of what that dude was doing sometimes. I got bodied for the most part, but I expected as such (dude had like 200 wins to my 22) and I still managed to steal a game and a handful of rounds off of him.

But I realize that I do need to sit back down with all the characters; I love Katarina, but I admit I actually need to learn stuff rather than 3 and 4 spam with the occasional back 2 launcher.

You should see JustFrameJames and his Yoshi

I've always looked upon Yoshimitsu as the series' "joke" character.

No jokes anymore. That dude is forreal.

GrayFoxPL

It's a pretty big disadvantage for people who didn't play since 6. It's that game where Yoshi got the new stances. He really doesn't surprise me with anything in 7 but it must look wacky as fuck for people not in the know.

I've always looked upon Yoshimitsu as the series' "joke" character.

No jokes anymore. That dude is forreal.

Joke character? Nah. In Tekken 2 he was badass and even got probably best Tekken commercial devoted to him. It's when Harada took over Tekken since 3 they turned Yoshi more and more into a freak same like Law and Paul were turned into morons but even then Yoshi was never much of a joke.

They changes Jim's b3? It no longer connect when used on combos.

Jim?

aMCiDNO.gif

AllenShrz

I tried again on the pc and b3 was connecting, went back again to the ps4 and b3 connected again on combos. So weird. I think I'll stick with Jin and drop Jim :p

Also my gf gave me this for my BD with a little bit of cosplay T7 related. I didnt ask for it but sure I was pleased.

yZ2uTu0.jpg

Dereck

I finally was able to do a re-wall splat into this ender, been trying to land it for awhile.

hyAJ834.gif

Also my gf gave me this for my BD with a little bit of cosplay T7 related. I didnt ask for it but sure I was pleased.

yZ2uTu0.jpg
She got the Tekken 7.0 poster, brings me back.

PhineBuyM3

I'm bout to drop Gigas. If I'm not playing super safe and getting hard reads, it's over. Soon as motherfuckers get in close it's a wrap for this dude.

This is what my screen looks like when I use him
tenor.gif

RK9039

*Obama wipes sweat.gif* Never thought I'd like Ansel this much. Got a daytime mod for Infinite Azure and a DVJ mod called Baphomet. I'm also using SweetFX for a graphical mod, as well. Makes everything looks so much sharper, it's unbelievable.

Are you doing this with Nvidia Ansel? Really cool.

GrayFoxPL

*Obama wipes sweat.gif* Never thought I'd like Ansel this much. Got a daytime mod for Infinite Azure and a DVJ mod called Baphomet. I'm also using SweetFX for a graphical mod, as well. Makes everything looks so much sharper, it's unbelievable.

Are you doing this with Nvidia Ansel? Really cool.

Those look insane. It's a shame that on PS4 we didn't even get basic photo mode or model viewer. Pausing, floating camera and making a shot can't be so hard to implement, so maybe in the future patch?

I allowed myself to resize this one:

3mVs4NW.jpg

So cool.

Could you do a shot with Devil Kazuya?

RK9039

Those look insane. It's a shame that on PS4 we didn't even get basic photo mode or model viewer. Pausing, floating camera and making a shot can't be so hard to implement, so maybe in the future patch?

I'm pretty sure it was done using Ansel maybe? or probably a mod. I tried Ansel the other day but couldn't freeze the camera or anything.

GrayFoxPL

I'm pretty sure it was done using Ansel maybe? or probably a mod. I tried Ansel the other day but couldn't freeze the camera or anything.

Yeah I know it's done on PC. PC modders will probably find a way to implement rotating camera. I just wish for simple "official" photo mode on all platforms.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Fixed

The bolded, that's the exact reason Lee is ass, I think the only possible advantage he has vs playing shaheen is a half decent + on block move.

Top Bottom