• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Their paid DLC/Season Pass situation is not shitty by any means. Without that, we wouldn't be getting any major updates and what we have in the game now? That would be it aside from 2 months of content like with TTT2 (and then TTT2 died). That's it. The DLC is used to keep this game's longevity going considering they begged Bamco for the funds to support it, that Season Pass can give this game an extra year lifespan it needs to stay active.

Yall are so quick to toss comments out based on emotion. Yeah you can feel upset that the game's lacking but they did the DLC for a reason. It's like people want these games to die just because they don't like something.

We're quick to toss out comments because we have no idea what these major updates would be. You seem to keep assuming the best -- lots of free classic characters, etc. -- and that doesn't seem particularly realistic at this point. It'd be awesome if that's the case, and if so we'll all praise the hell out of the game, but very few people should spend their money with that assumption.

Remember everybody assuming the game had FMV endings, like two days ago?

Skilletor

Wait, did I miss something.

People seem to be saying that we will get classic characters for free, but the guest characters will be paid/part of the season pass.

Is there an interview with this information? Getting free characters seems like a huge stretch in this day and age.

SarusGray

We're quick to toss out comments because we have no idea what these major updates would be. You seem to keep assuming the best -- lots of free classic characters, etc. -- and that doesn't seem particularly realistic at this point. It'd be awesome if that's the case, and if so we'll all praise the hell out of the game, but very few people should spend their money with that assumption.

and the character episodes not being just one fights with terrible endings lol Also I'd pay $100 for Julia Chang. Not. Kidding.

jbttwin

People seem to be saying that we will get classic characters for free, but the guest characters will be paid/part of the season pass.

Is there an interview with this information? Getting free characters seems like a huge stretch in this day and age.

Just because they said it doesn't really mean they'll be bringing any classic characters back.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Their paid DLC/Season Pass situation is not shitty by any means. Without that, we wouldn't be getting any major updates and what we have in the game now? That would be it aside from 2 months of content like with TTT2 (and then TTT2 died). That's it. The DLC is used to keep this game's longevity going considering they begged Bamco for the funds to support it, that Season Pass can give this game an extra year lifespan it needs to stay active.

Yall are so quick to toss comments out based on emotion. Yeah you can feel upset that the game's lacking but they did the DLC for a reason. It's like people want these games to die just because they don't like something.

I think there's a concern about sending the message to publishers that it's okay to put out $60 games with season passes, despite those games having notably thinner content than their $60-flat predecessors.

even if i don't click your spoiler you semi-spoiled it for me just by sayn that :( i know you didn;t mean to

Well I hope I saved you from later disappointment.

Just because they said it doesn't really mean they'll be bringing any classic characters back.

Yeah, it's a big 'if' based on a conjecture in one statement he made. The only confirmed post-release content is that which is outlined in the season pass.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

cordy

Banned

1.) Just because you don't know what's in the DLC package doesn't mean it's shitty to do DLC. That's ridiculous. Just don't buy the DLC. They're doing the DLC to keep this game's longevity considering without it, it would die after 2 months like TTT2 did so now it's got an extra year of support behind it. Is that shitty? If you think so then God bless you.

2.) Explain to us what's changed that makes it "non-realistic" given Harada, Murray and Tekken Team's comments post-DLC announcement?

It honestly makes perfect sense to me.

cordy

Banned

They've said that the reason there's paid DLC/Season Pass is so this game can have an added year of support and considering this, they can now do lots of free content updates. Harada then stated that they don't charge for classic characters, paid characters will be new characters. He also referenced TTT2. TTT2 died after 2 months. TTT2 also had multiple free guest characters.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spif4h

He's mentioned this in a lot of interviews in the past regarding his DLC opinions. Murray himself said they had to get a completely separate budget from Bamco just for the DLC as well and they hadn't even started on it when they announced it which also shot down people's "they held things back for DLC" comment. The backlash of announcing DLC when they did caused them all to stay silent on what's in the DLC from that point on hence why we've gotta wait until after the game's released before we know what's in the DLC.

That's probably why there's a Tekken Talk on release date. We don't know everything in detail with the DLC purely because of people's backlash.

SarusGray

1.) Just because you don't know what's in the DLC package doesn't mean it's shitty to do DLC. That's ridiculous. Just don't buy the DLC. They're doing the DLC to keep this game's longevity considering without it, it would die after 2 months like TTT2 did so now it's got an extra year of support behind it. Is that shitty? If you think so then God bless you.

2.) Explain to us what's changed that makes it "non-realistic" given Harada, Murray and Tekken Team's comments post-DLC announcement?

there's two sides to this coin. Adding content to an already packed content game is awesome. Adding content to a game that is light on content that's hidden behind a season pass kinda sucks.

I'm hoping modes are free and that the season pass only adds those exclusive guest characters and stages for them.

Creaking

They've said that the reason there's paid DLC/Season Pass is so this game can have an added year of support and considering this, they can now do lots of free content updates. Harada then stated that they don't charge for classic characters, paid characters will be new characters. He also referenced TTT2. TTT2 died after 2 months. TTT2 also had multiple free guest characters.

The free characters in Tag 2 were on the disc at launch though-- the lion's share of development occurred before then. From the pace of Tekken 7's development thus far, I wouldn't expect too much, even with a full year of support.

That reminds me, has anyone tried datamining Tekken 7 yet? I suppose that'd be easier upon PC release, but it'd clear up any speculation about timed-release content.

ajb1888

Banned

Its conjecture and educated guessing lol. Aside from 2 guest characters, I notice there is room for up to 4 more characters on the select screen. Tag2 added free characters after release..

With a full year of promised support, I believe we could definitely see a few free classics added!

SarusGray

Its conjecture and educated guessing lol. Aside from 2 guest characters, I notice there is room for up to 4 more characters on the select screen. Tag2 added free characters after release..

With a full year of promised support, I believe we could definitely see a few free classics added!

Julia and Lei Wulong, that's all I need and this Tekken will be perfect.

Doomshine

I did tell Harada that I'd buy three copies of Tekken 7 if he made Roger the main character. He didn't seem to believe me.

After all the people who said the same for Jun in Tag 2 I can't blame him.

They better add customization options for free through updates on top of their shitty paid DLC thing because it really feels lacking compared to previous games.

The decal system in Tag 2 was added after launch, hopefully they can add even more stuff to the game now that they have a season pass.

Hopefully they announce the guest characters soon. I'm gonna guess (hope for): Skullomania

What are you talking about, he's in the game already :p

bGy76lc.jpg

Creaking

Don't forget that Tag 2's final character select screen looked like this:

After all the people who said the same for Jun in Tag 2 I can't blame him.

Yeah, but those are Jun fans. It's really just one guy who formed a cult with a Tekken-themed veneer. Most of his congregation don't even know who Jun is.

Roger fans are a trustworthy few. It takes an honest heart to appreciate a genetically modified boxing kangaroo. I read that in a book.

1. What the hell does this "extra year of support" actually mean? I know Harada has mentioned that, but he's given very few specifics of what that entails or why any of us not buying the season pass should care. Because the only support mentioned so far is stuff for season pass owners. We could just be talking about things like bug fixes, and I'm not going to celebrate a publisher providing something basic like that which is already expected.

2. The fundamental problem with your theory is that if they were going to be providing free characters post-launch, they would probably advertise that because it's a huge selling point. Instead we get some vague comments that could be hinting about that. The comments could have been said for all sorts of reasons, most obviously as damage control so fans stop freaking out about the game missing characters that they would assume are DLC, instead of the more realistic just not arriving at all. You could easily read their comments as "No, we're not holding back Anna as DLC."

That said, I personally expect a couple of free classic characters too. (Though Eliza has been in another Tekken game and she's not free, so who knows what "classic" means here.) But you keep using that possibility as an assured thing, a selling point for the game right this minute and that strikes me as extremely misleading.

cordy

Banned
there's two sides to this coin. Adding content to an already packed content game is awesome. Adding content to a game that is light on content that's hidden behind a season pass kinda sucks.

I'm hoping modes are free and that the season pass only adds those exclusive guest characters and stages for them.

Why do you think they're keeping this "hidden behind a season pass" when they haven't even started on the DLC sans Eliza (which was recently) yet? Murray himself said their content isn't hidden behind DLC and they had to get a completely separate budget just to even start this. That's what I don't understand by these comments.

Are you guys saying he's lying or something?

Secondly, it's really as though most people haven't even paid attention to what they've said about the Season Pass. They've explained some stuff but not all of it due to the game not releasing yet. I could have sworn I explained this to you actually yesterday and I even linked pics to you bruh.
The free characters in Tag 2 were on the disc at launch though-- the lion's share of development occurred before then. From the pace of Tekken 7's development thus far, I wouldn't expect too much, even with a full year of support.

That reminds me, has anyone tried datamining Tekken 7 yet? I suppose that'd be easier upon PC release, but it'd clear up any speculation about timed-release content.

Why would they keep character data on the disk like when they flubbed that during TTT2's release?

Julia and Lei Wulong, that's all I need and this Tekken will be perfect.

I'm hoping for a Chang, MOTHERFUCKIN' LEI WULONG, Ganryu, Ghost of Jun Kazama, and Kunimitsu. I've never played Kuni much, but always thought she was a cool character that the Tekken Team just never gave much love to.

p.s. I'm being real generous here because I hate playing against the Changs. But it's criminal to not have one in a Tekken game.

SarusGray

Why do you think they're keeping this "hidden behind a season pass" when they haven't even started on the DLC sans Eliza (which was recently) yet? Murray himself said their content isn't hidden behind DLC and they had to get a completely separate budget just to even start this. That's what I don't understand by these comments.

Are you guys saying he's lying or something?

Secondly, it's really as though most people haven't even paid attention to what they've said about the Season Pass. They've explained some stuff but not all of it due to the game not releasing yet. I could have sworn I explained this to you actually yesterday and I even linked pics to you bruh.

Why would they keep character data on the disk like when they flubbed that during TTT2's release?

It doesn't look like classic characters are ever coming because there hasn't been a confirmation of that even occurring besides him saying they won't charge for them. So its not even confirmed in that front. But you keep saying they are. Stop that because you're just raising the hopes of a julia chang main. -sobs and hugs a tree-

Creaking

That's an abomination of character select screen design. Did they expect to develop more DLC or something?

I think it's more that they had the 12 additional characters, they couldn't fit them on the sides and they didn't want to redo the whole screen to make it all nice and rectangular.

Still waiting for them to add Jeff Slater though

Good point. But I'll also point out Tag2 practically had every character ever, with no one left to add.

That's where you're wrong.

Jeff%2BSlater.png

cordy

Banned
1. What the hell does this "extra year of support" actually mean? I know Harada has mentioned that, but he's given very few specifics of what that entails or why any of us not buying the season pass should care. Because the only support mentioned so far is stuff for season pass owners. We could just be talking about things like bug fixes, and I'm not going to celebrate a publisher providing something basic like that which is already expected.

2. The fundamental problem with your theory is that if they were going to be providing free characters post-launch, they would probably advertise that because it's a huge selling point. Instead we get some vague comments that could be hinting about that. The comments could have been said for all sorts of reasons, most obviously as damage control so fans stop freaking out about the game missing characters that they would assume are DLC, instead of the more realistic just not arriving at all. You could easily read their comments as "No, we're not holding back Anna as DLC."

That said, I personally expect a couple of free classic characters too. (Though Eliza has been in another Tekken game and she's not free, so who knows what "classic" means here.) But you keep using that possibility as an assured thing, a selling point for the game right this minute and that strikes me as extremely misleading.

1.) Nah man, he was referring to the TTT2 situation. TTT2 had a lot of content within 2 months. Multiple characters, stages, modes, customizations, it was wild for 2 months and then died. That's what Harada's always referring to when he says post-launch support. Without that we'd just get the "TTT2 support" but this way, with the added budget, we can use the extra money from the DLC characters to keep having updates for an extra year.

2.) Tbh, they've done it with TTT2 when multiple characters game to the game free-post launch. It was leaked but they didn't advertise it until it was time to. Also Bamco's pretty tight-lipped when it comes to this thing as seen with T7's console launch. Regardless of fan comments, they stuck to their guns even though fans got upset. They're not the types to crack during that situation.

cordy

Banned
It doesn't look like classic characters are ever coming because there hasn't been a confirmation of that even occurring besides him saying they won't charge for them. So its not even confirmed in that front. But you keep saying they are. Stop that because you're just raising the hopes of a julia chang main. -sobs and hugs a tree-

Man I'm sorry. Yall don't have to believe me but I'm going by their comments and their track record. You don't have to given what it is but whatever you do just don't be too negative because either you'll be too negative and be hurt due to that or be too positive and just overexpect too much. Just find that middle spot and stay there. Me? I'm in that middle spot because honestly I've got mostly all the characters I play even though I want Julia in the game as she's one of the only women I play.

But I'm just going by their words and their whole schedule with TTT2 which Harada's constantly thrown shots at due to their lack of post-console support. You guys can just wait but either way, we've got the official game here so let's just deal with that.

cordy

Banned
Let's just stop all the DLC talk and just enjoy the game for what it is tbh, I'll talk about it more when they officially go into details. We could spend all this time getting mad but what needs to stick out is that we've waited all this time and we've finally got the game so I'm just going to relish in that. I hope everyone who doesn't see what they want to see in this game gets what they want sooner than later.

92b29fd9f53d45313f34d02cb76cbb06a821901d_hq.gif

CrazyHal

So here's what's gonna happen for me which is always what happens when i buy a fighting game.

Gonna start by going into training mode, pick a character to main (probably Claudio in this case) and spent a whole weekend memorizing moves and combos. Then i'm gonna play around with the single player modes,finish the story mode and play a bit of arcade.

Then i will go online, find out that matches are pretty laggy which will completely ruin the game for me.

Feeling frustrated, i will put the game down, never touch it again and feel like i wasted my money.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Numb

So here's what's gonna happen for me which is always what happens when i buy a fighting game.

Gonna start by going into training mode, pick a character to main (probably Claudio in this case) and spent a whole weekend memorizing moves and combos. Then i'm gonna play around with the single player modes,finish the story mode and play a bit of arcade.

Then i will go online, find out that matches are pretty laggy which will completely ruin the game for me.

Feeling frustrated, i will put the game down, never touch it again and feel like i wasted my money.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Online isn't as good as KI and Skullgirls in Tekken but it's still decent
If it's too much play in your area and don't accept below 4-5 bars

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Why do this to yourself?

Coda

Top Bottom