• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag 2 to be modified due to use of 'Allah' in Saudi Arabia stage

Y'all are getting upset over a blurry texture in a fighting game. Get your priorities straight lol.

Muslims = Lol for giving a shit about the image being there in the first place.

People in this thread = Lol for giving a shit about the image going away/changing because someone complained.

Come at it like this; Remove/change the image, appeal to your customers who were offended. Leave it in, shit on them.

This change hurts nobody. It isn't like Harada had it in there on purpose to make some secret statement. If he did, and wanted to leave it ... then cool. If he doesn't care, we shouldn't really either. Smart business move, and nothing more.

if jesus or buddah were painted on the floor, no one gives a damn. why are muslims so sensitive?

Eh, it's the reason certain people get offended when you toss out a Jesus Christ in your speaking voice.

Their religion tells them depicting the holy dude is a no no, kinda like why even tho Christians know bacon tastes delicious, Judaism tells people hands off the tasty flesh bits.

Basically, because religion.

Eh, it's the reason certain people get offended when you toss out a Jesus Christ in your speaking voice.

Their religion tells them depicting the holy dude is a no no, kinda like why even tho Christians know bacon tastes delicious, Judaism tells people hands off the tasty flesh bits.

Basically, because religion.

Is more like to give the middle finger directly to God

ASIS

I thought it was considered sacrelicious to depict Mohammed / Allah in any form. Wouldn't that also include writing their names into design motifs like these decorations?

Writing is not a form of depiction though.

if jesus or buddah were painted on the floor, no one gives a damn. why are muslims so sensitive?
Because its a different religion and culture? For instance, even though I'm a muslim I would be bothered if it was Jesus in there.

john tv

So much hate and ignorance in this thread. :/ What's the big deal? Are you gonna miss having Allah's name on the floor? If it's disrespectful to some of their fans, as creators of COURSE they're going to want to fix it as soon as possible. They don't see religion/race/etc. on the dev side, they just want to reach out to as many fans as possible and give them something they can enjoy. Which is totally fine. Props to Harada for addressing this as quickly as he is.

Less hate, more love, people! <3

Vamphuntr

So how did they not notice this in the first place? Is it really written this or the random designs of the texture make it look likes the word written in arabic?

If it's the first case, they were really clumsy to put that thing in in the first place.

Despera

Banned
I used to get offended by stuff like this back in the day. It was the teachings, the culture... the doctrine.

Shit like that is very powerful, and no human on earth is entirely exempt.

Also,

So much hate and ignorance in this thread. :/ What's the big deal? Are you gonna miss having Allah's name on the floor? If it's disrespectful to some of their fans, as creators of COURSE they're going to want to fix it as soon as possible. They don't see religion/race/etc. on the dev side, they just want to reach out to as many fans as possible and give them something they can enjoy. Which is totally fine. Props to Harada for addressing this as quickly as he is.

AAK

This is pretty old news, I don't even see where people are rioting? A fan of tha game just politely said he didn't appreciate having that written on the ground, and Harada obliged to this fan and let him know he was ignorant on the topic and will change it.

All the rage and riotting is pretty much on internet forums.

First they caved to LBP which was the best song in the game and now this. Why not make it an optional patch. Where I don't have to change it if I want to. Fuck this shit.

hypernima

Banned

Agreed, it's not even something that affects gameplay. It's a completely different culture, so their interpretation into things are completely different from our perspective of what is considered offensive.

wingz

People half way across the world who have no connection to the game other than claiming to be offended under the guise of religious belief is completely important to everybody and deserves to be taken seriously by everybody else?

They can be offended all they want, the fact that they can influence such a decision out of fear is what's wrong here. If we want to pander to what offends everybody we wouldn't be very far. The difference here is the religion and history behind it.

LOL, It's like you believe that your the only person living in this planet. Tekken is very popular in the middle east, probably more so than in NA (NA prefers SF, Marvel). The fact this person message Harada on his twitter account, you could probably make the connection that he is a fan of tekken. It just shows he cares about his fan and he doesn't want to insult their beliefs.

I am personally am a huge fan of tekken, even went out of my way to get full achivements in TTT2, because I had a blast playing it, but I am totally against what they did here. They should have the done their due diligence when creating their stages, but good on Harada for fixing the problem so quickly.

It's like you think that people on the other side of the planet don't play games. It may come as a surprise, but they do LOL...

This person hit the nail on the coffin! He gets it.

Jawmuncher

I'd leave it there.
To many resources requierd to change it and all that, that could be used for DLC.
Though I guess if it doesnt affect that than its fine.

Patch 1.03 for TTT2 is out in certain regions (Asia I think) and it is assumed that this may have already been patched out.

Also I feel it is necessary to add that this stage isn't just in Saudi Arabia, it's that the several new console stages added to TTT2 were homages to the certain fan bases in different countries that has supported the games and all the top players that have come from there and traveled afar to meet, compete and make friends.

Poland
Holland
Russia
Philippines
Saudi Arabia
South America
etc.

So yeah it's easy to see why Harada would be so quick to remove it.

Finaika

You guys complaining about a floor texture being changed by the decision of the game developer.

I bet most of the people in this thread don't even play Tekken.

Lunar15

Seems there's more people here complaining about the change itself than anything else. I personally don't see anything wrong about Harada complying and taking out such a small thing out of respect for people's beliefs.

Slam Bam, Thank you ma'am. It's a tiny thing that can be changed without destroying the game. So why not comply and show respect for people? I'm not the most PC guy, but I also understand that respect is important.

Yes. There is nothing wrong if it was on the wall.

Listen, I, and many others, have no problem with religious references in Videogames, you want proof? Here you go:

http://uncharted.wikia.com/wiki/Djinn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinn

Did you hear any contraversy concerning that? No? Didn't think so. But its when Developers use these reference in ways that are considered offensive and borderline forbidden to both our culture and our religion that voices of dissatisfaction can be heard, examples such as:

1) Cannibals screaming "Allah" in Zack and Wiki (this one is pretty self explanatory)

2)Putting the name "Allah" on top of a toilet (for us muslims, toilets are filthy places and a person shouldn't even speak, let alone have such a holy name in such a place)

3) Reciting verses from the Quran in a musical form in Little Big Planet 2 (This is mostly cultural than religious, as I don't think there is evidence from islam that forbids this, could be wrong though. Regardless, a domestic artist once caused the exact same controversy in my home country for the exact same reason. Its not nit-picky, people actually care about this stuff back home.)

And on and on.

Now, I fully agree they would not have the right to state their opinion if they threatened anyone or acted violently, but in this case it was just a small tweet, why is this even a thread?

If you are talking about those who will absolutely find anything offensive, then yes of course there will be those people. Just as there those who complained about racism in RE5. I don't agree with that at all, but they don't create a significant part in the Videogame spectrum, you shouldn't worry about them.

I can see why muslims may or may not have problems with religious references and how they are presented.
But why is it that muslims seem to be the loudest people when some religious reference is presented in a wrong way?
I haven't seen people being angry about the possibility of killing God in several games.
It's also generally accepted to kill people in video games, steal things, abusing the name of God, etc. etc., everything that's forbidden in the bible by Moses' 10 Commandments.
Now don't misunderstand me, I'm no Christian, in fact I'm an atheist, but that doesn't mean I can't understand.
It's just that people, regardless of religious background, need to calm the fuck down about this (pardon my use of language). Nothing of these things are purposefully used to ashame or offend that specific religion. It's a design choice. To some a plate with Allah's name on it may look like a pretty picture that somehow fits the theme of the surroundings. They probably never think about that these beautiful lines may actually mean something. Not everyone is able to read every language in the world.
It's probably the same with Tekken here. Harada probably doesn't know anything about Islamism, so you can't really fault him for using a texture with Allah's name on it when he doesn't even know how to read it.
I also don't think it's a research issue. As I said, it probably looked pretty and "arabic" enough, so they used it.

As it stands, it's just a video game. A fictional world with its own rules. It doesn't represent any religion whatsoever, except when it outright says so, and even then it's more like "poking fun at it", rather than trying to offend everything and everyone who's part of that specific religion.

And please don't think that I'm trying to offend you or anyone of the same religion as yours. No harm intended, okay? ;)

Finaika

I can see why muslims may or may not have problems with religious references and how they are presented.
But why is it that muslims seem to be the loudest people when some religious reference is presented in a wrong way?
I haven't seen people being angry about the possibility of killing God in several games.
It's also generally accepted to kill people in video games, steal things, abusing the name of God, etc. etc., everything that's forbidden in the bible by Moses' 10 Commandments.
Now don't misunderstand me, I'm no Christian, in fact I'm an atheist, but that doesn't mean I can't understand.
It's just that people, regardless of religious background, need to calm the fuck down about this (pardon my use of language). Nothing of these things are purposefully used to ashame or offend that specific religion. It's a design choice. To some a plate with Allah's name on it may look like a pretty picture that somehow fits the theme of the surroundings. They probably never think about that these beautiful lines may actually mean something. Not everyone is able to read every language in the world.
It's probably the same with Tekken here. Harada probably doesn't know anything about Islamism, so you can't really fault him for using a texture with Allah's name on it when he doesn't even know how to read it.
I also don't think it's a research issue. As I said, it probably looked pretty and "arabic" enough, so they used it.

As it stands, it's just a video game. A fictional world with its own rules. It doesn't represent any religion whatsoever, except when it outright says so, and even then it's more like "poking fun at it", rather than trying to offend everything and everyone who's part of that specific religion.

And please don't think that I'm trying to offend you or anyone of the same religion as yours. No harm intended, okay? ;)

How would you feel if the Tekken characters are fighting on a stage with the word "Atheist" textured all over the ground?

Are you sure?

Final Fantasy VI was released to the NA as Final Fantasy III in 1994. Churches were edited to take out the crosses, and all references to Holy were changed to Pearl, among others. Gee, why do you suppose that was done, I wonder? I haven't the foggiest idea.

Soulcalibur takes place at the height of the Ottoman empire but somehow all traces of Middle Eastern culture are passed over completely. It bugs the shit out of me, but I suppose this is why.

Raonak

Banned
I see why they removed it. probably would've done the same.

but it just annoys me. the political correctness around religion is sickening.

Cartman86

Banned
You are never going to be able to rationalize this. Just getting into debates about it will cause pain and uncomfortable cognitive dissonance. Trying to understand how someone could get offended by something you think is utter bullshit (God, Islam, Christianity, whatever) is impossible. Do you respect peoples beliefs to the point that you alter content to appease them if it will make the feel better? Is there a fear of violence? Do you not want to be an ass hole? Where is the line between free expression and being a decent human being? It's not illegal to be racist, but I don't think many people here would disagree with someone complaining about obviously racist content in a video game. I would feel quiet justified in removing content to keep from hurting peoples feelings. What are we talking about here though. Are we talking about racism? sexism? nationalism? For me the offense to something so nebulous and ultimately victim-less as religion is of little concern. I don't know what to say to others about it though. I'm quiet clear in my world view about this and I feel like I could rationally defend it, but convincing some people seems impossible. Especially when their foundations are built on something so foreign to mine. In this case though was the texture important to the thing they were making? Were they just ignorant to the cultural practices (I'm guessing this) and does removing it harm them? They will need to do their own cost benefit, but I find these situations quiet interesting, baffling, and occasionally scary for where such outrage and misplaced priorities could send us. The human need to personify everything even down to the creation of the fucking universe is unbounded.

Cwarrior

people here make it sound like the game got cancled, grow up it's a floor texture stop whining tekken tag 2 is still perfectly playable.

Use of religous symbole is offense to group of people =someone tells namco =harada swiftly removes to deal with the issue =gaf is outraged and makes a big deal out of it.

Protip be careful when useing religous symboles better yet don't use them at all.

Demon Ice

Banned
Why the motherfuck do whiny religious bitches actually have the power to influence shit like this? I don't understand. Make me understand, GAF.

Sayah

I think now I'm going to avoid buying TTT2 because they're pandering to a group of whiners.

The developer understood religious sensitivities and respected their fanbase. That's important. Especially since the entire game stage itself was dedicated for the Tekken fanbase in Saudi Arabia.

I'd imagine the people who are calling this "pandering" don't own, haven't played, and/or don't care for Tekken. When you have developed a broad enough world view which respects the cultural and religious sensitivities of a group of people, then come talk. If some people want it removed and the developer is willingly removing it, then I don't see why anyone else should have a problem with it especially since most of the people doing the actual "whining" here don't even own the game. Changing the floor texture does not impact the game or gameplay in any negative way. No one is going to say, "hey look, I used to spend hours admiring that floor texture in practice mode and now it's all gone."

I'd leave it there.
To many resources requierd to change it and all that, that could be used for DLC.
Though I guess if it doesnt affect that than its fine.

You really think it costs a lot of money to change a floor texture? And it will disrupt DLC plans? LOL

Cwarrior

Why the motherfuck do whiny religious bitches actually have the power to influence shit like this? I don't understand. Make me understand, GAF.

Cause there a customer too, they buy videogames,you wouldn't want to lose customer oversomething that can easly be fixed.

Not hard at all to understand.

mollipen

I can totally understand why this would be insulting to Muslims under their beliefs, so it should be taken out of the game. I support that action.

On the other hand, we need less sensitivity on the side of those who are religious, not more. The part of the world that does not follow your beliefs should not be forced to respect your beliefs. They should, out of respect, but they have no requirement to.

Sissel

W1hMJ.jpg

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE
lol that's great. People that get upset over shit like this are irrational beings, straight up.

wingz

I think now I'm going to avoid buying TTT2 because they're pandering to a group of whiners.

You probably would have never bought the game in the first place. The people who are asking for it to be changed probably bought the game (and myself included), because I love to play Tekken and supported Harada.

Are you sure?

Final Fantasy VI was released to the NA as Final Fantasy III in 1994. Churches were edited to take out the crosses, and all references to Holy were changed to Pearl, among others. Gee, why do you suppose that was done, I wonder? I haven't the foggiest idea.

NoA

ntropy

I can totally understand why this would be insulting to Muslims under their beliefs, so it should be taken out of the game. I support that action.

On the other hand, we need less sensitivity on the side of those who are religious, not more. The part of the world that does not follow your beliefs should not be forced to respect your beliefs. They should, out of respect, but they have no requirement to.
wishy-washy sums up this post.

and how exactly does understanding how something is offensive suddenly absolve the act of censorship. amazing ...

A.E Suggs

Come on man not that hard to not use that in this context. Also religion isn't the only thing that can influence, you take away religion the next thing that comes up is just who has more power to influence.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Hey, remember back when that BGM track in LittleBigPlanet was edited due to Muslim sensitivities? Remember how that caused people to stop buying the game, the franchise tanked, Sony stock went down, and years later everyone's still talking about it on a weekly basis?

pants

Compulsive Tekken player here and I don't give a shit either way. (Unless the specific change somehow breaks how levels are rendered or something)

Top Bottom