• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's The Walking Dead - Story Discussion (UNMARKED SPOILERS)

megalowho

I'm sure this has been mentioned a lot, but the more I think about it the less I like the timeskip and hope this isn't gonna happen again in the story.

I don't understand why anyone would think a random 3 month gap in the story is a good idea for an episodic story driven adventure. That opening minute or so where you're confused if you skipped over something explaining who the fuck this guy is or waiting for them to flashback to the thing they talk about. .

I think they mentioned in one of those Playing Dead episodes that they wanted to move the story past the initial outbreak period quickly in order to get to the real aftermath. Don't think they need to keep doing that, hope not at least.

Dysun

Episode 2 was alot more engaging and tense than the first one. Although the cannibalism thing was pretty obvious from the beginning

I agree with the bulk of this post, but why waste the effort on all that if Mark was just a red shirt? The gap helps move the story along to it's next major plot point: starvation.

Some more dialogue and some renders aren't exactly a ton of effort. I'm not asking them to show a cutscene at the base or something.

Just seems weird that it's all "well 3 months went by nothing really happened except somehow we found some guy on an air force base for some reason". Explaining what happened would not just expand on Mark, but probably on Lilly as well, presumably she'd be involved since she worked there.

Derrick01

Banned
I killed Larry but only because I felt like I had to. I thought he was dead so I was like "might as well do it so he doesn't come back". This episode did an amazing job at building tension and suspense even though it was obvious what the main plot was (the people being cannibals, or at the very least just bad people).

My group is running surprisingly short on functioning and useful adults. I'm down to Carly and her pistol, Kenny and Lily who will probably try to kill me at some point now. The 2 kids and Kenny's wife aren't very useful in a fight. And that dumbfuck teenager doesn't appear to be of any use either.

Anyway I'm really excited for episode 3.

Trigger

Some more dialogue and some renders aren't exactly a ton of effort. I'm not asking them to show a cutscene at the base or something.

Just seems weird that it's all "well 3 months went by nothing really happened except somehow we found some guy on an air force base for some reason". Explaining what happened would not just expand on Mark, but probably on Lilly as well, presumably she'd be involved since she worked there.

Fair enough.

My group is running surprisingly short on functioning and useful adults. I'm down to Carly and her pistol, Kenny and Lily who will probably try to kill me at some point now. The 2 kids and Kenny's wife aren't very useful in a fight. And that dumbfuck teenager doesn't appear to be of any use either.

Anyway I'm really excited for episode 3.

It is a little silly how unprepared for a fight this group is. Though I get it would probably ruin a lot of the puzzle design if Lee or anyone around could just whip out a gun or knife at any time.

So good, i'm really blown away by the experience. I've heard interactive story being tossed around before, but this just feels so immersive to me. Love the storytelling

After reading the comics I sort of called the cannibalism thing from the very beginning. The humans are more dangerous than the zombies in the comic books.

It's crazy how I changed though. In the first episode I sided with Kenny for the most part in the first episode, and also fed his family in this one, along with feeding Clementine(who wouldn't feed her). But when it came to Lilly's dad I sided with her, I couldn't bring myself to make the decision to kill him. Lilly was cool with me after that and had my back and saved my life.

From the looks of the next episode, Kenny is mad at me. But I'm liking Lilly more than Kenny now. I wasn't liking her at first buy my opinion about her changed as the 2nd episode went along.
I feel the exact same way. I understand about putting your family #1 but not at the expense of everyone else. I officially don't give a fuck about Kenny and will not do anything for him or his family going forward.

The stereotyping bit he pulled with the lock picking, although funny, didn't help my feelings for him either.

Edit:
Forgot to add..best fucking achievements ever LOL.

LifEndz

I fed him the jerky! I didn't think he'd become it, later.

Regarding looting the car, I believed that it was a fairly obvious trap and expected immediate repercussions for digging into their stuff. The game decided to take my decision into a "we don't rob possibly dead individuals" rather than my actual intentions, but I'm sticking to one play though and the game is as welcome to misunderstand my intentions as the group might misunderstand in reality. It wasn't about letting Clem starve for moral reasons, it was about avoiding getting her shot by someone in the bushes.

Fairly obvious trap? If you were that type of paranoid in the game's setting you'd never eat. How in the heck would bandits stockpile that much food and supplies to leave it for some random passerby? An obvious trap would be if someone was calling for help ala The Last of Us, but a car jam packed with supplies with the door open and the keys still in the ignition screamed dead driver and free meal.

LifEndz

I feel the exact same way. I understand about putting your family #1 but not at the expense of everyone else. I officially don't give a fuck about Kenny and will not do anything for him or his family going forward.

The stereotyping bit he pulled with the lock picking, although funny, didn't help my feelings for him either.

Edit:
Forgot to add..best fucking achievements ever LOL.

I'm really torn when it comes to siding with either Kenny or Lilly. Kenny held me down in episode one and is the reason I didn't get eaten after Larry decided knock me out. Lilly is making rational decisions and seems more prone to think things through rather than simply react like Kenny. In the end I sided with Kenny more just because I knew that I'd eventually do something to Larry and that Lilly was not going to be cool with me when that happened.

And as bad as this sounds, as a minority you kinda expect white people to eventually say something stereotypical/quasi racist like "well...you must know how to pick locks because you're ummm....you know" so I didn't really hold that against Kenny too much. Just chalked it up to ignorant redneck crap.

It's inevitable. I don't think they realized how popular the series would be when they made these episodes. I think we'd see more variation in a hypothetical "season 2" scenario. It feels like they're playing catch-up as is.

I was just looking through the episode screen and Kenny is visibly displayed in Episode 4 along with some unknown female, the portrait for episode 3 is Lily, she is not seen in any other portrait or episode screen after that. I really hope that's not a bad sign.

Chatin

Fairly obvious trap? If you were that type of paranoid in the game's setting you'd never eat. How in the heck would bandits stockpile that much food and supplies to leave it for some random passerby? An obvious trap would be if someone was calling for help ala The Last of Us, but a car jam packed with supplies with the door open and the keys still in the ignition screamed dead driver and free meal.
How is it paranoid? They find an "abandoned" car stocked with food and supplies. That is far too convenient. Add to that the fact that the lights are on and the battery has not yet died, and it's clear that the car has been sitting "abandoned" for a matter of minutes. Either you're walking into a trap or you're looting the car of someone who wandered into the bushes for a piss.

How is it paranoid? They find an "abandoned" car stocked with food and supplies. That is far too convenient. Add to that the fact that the lights are on and the battery has not yet died, and it's clear that the car has been sitting "abandoned" for a matter of minutes. Either you're walking into a trap or you're looting the car of someone who wandered into the bushes for a piss.

That seems like a really elaborate wasteful trap for some people in the woods. Can't imagine anyone would actually do that.

The way everything laid out, it looked to me like the owner walked off in hopes of finding gas (or something like that). Leaving the lights either as a way to warn looters that this still belongs to someone, or help them find their way back to the car, or both.

Cohsae

Add to that the fact that the lights are on and the battery has not yet died, and it's clear that the car has been sitting "abandoned" for a matter of minutes..

A car can sit with it's lights on for quite some time before the battery fully drains. It won't have enough to start the engine, but you're looking at a matter of hours, not minutes.

Lord Phol

This game is great, it's really unlike anything I've ever played.

I've played this game pretty much as how I imagine I would do things IRL.
Some choices were really difficult to make (which is awesome), like in the beginning of ep2 I tried to do everything not to chop the guys leg off. When I was left with no other choice I started chopping away, but had to stop and run before I got the last part leaving the poor guy defenseless against the zombie horde with 90% off his leg cut through.

I couldn't decide if I should help Larry or kill him either, resulting in Kenny doing the deed. This along with how he acted after (hiding instead of helping me with the psycho brother) really made me question what kind of guy he was or had turned into.

The car-looting in the end was also a tough choice. As much as I wanted the food, for me as well as clementine I still felt guilty for killing Danny in front of Clementine and putting her through so much.
I also chose not to loot because of all the changes I had seen in Kenny lately, and I decided that even though the world is fucked up I don't wanna turn into a beast that does everything to survive while throwing away his humanity.

KorrZ

I killed Larry because I hated the prick and wanted him dead, whether he was going to be a zombie or not and the game finally gave me a chance and I took it. Plus I'm trying to stay on Kenny's good side, I agree with most of his decisions even if he goes about them in kind of the wrong way.

pulga

Banned
I chopped the dudes leg off, didn't shoot crazy woman, fed the kids, Larry and Mark, didn't help kill Larry, killed the first brother and spared the other one and looted the shit out of the car.

This might end up being best thing Telltale ever puts out. So so good.

Fjordson

I love this game. Was glued to the television throughout both episodes. Really hope episode three isn't terribly far off!

I'm so desparate to be the good guy, not always good at making tough decisions. I'd probably be a shitty apocalypse leader.

Like I felt proud that I supported Clementine and didn't steal anything from the car at the end of episode 2. But then the sad music kicks in and we're standing by ourselves off to the side, cold and starving. I just know that's going to be fuck us over in the future, probably Clem especially just to really stick it to me. Damn you Telltale for your deliciously tough choices. And I guess there was a small part of me that thought it was some sort of trap. Super weird to find the car in perfect working order, all the food tucked into the back, and the lights still on. Have to wonder what happened there.

Clem is a great character. I actually feel compelled to protect her and make things easier on her (like fixing the swing and getting her hat back). I guess it's not surprising that I'm symapatic towards a little girl who lost her parents, but Tellale's doing a good job developing her and her relationship with Lee.

I also like Carley's character a lot. Seems dependable and to have my back. Though I'm a bit worried about ever pissing her off since she knows about Lee's past.

Edit: I also liked the Hieroglyphics t-shirt Glenn was wearing in episode 1. Nice touch, guessing someone at Tellate is a fan. And maybe I'm reaching here, but was that a Nick Breckon reference at the farm? I forget who says it, but an "Ol' Breckon" who lives down the road was mentioned in a conversation.

Once you die you become a zombie regardless right, is that why they had to keep ppl alive whilst they cut their limbs off to eat their flesh?

I also like Carley's character a lot. Seems dependable and to have my back. Though I'm a bit worried about ever pissing her off since she knows about Lee's past.

I liked how Carley suggests she would prefer you "take more of a leadership role". Was kinda disappointed that there wasn't really much of any option to do that during any of the Kenny/Lilly arguments.

Hopefully you get a chance to do that in the next episode. All "Shut the fuck up Kenny, shut the fuck up Lilly, this is what we're doing." instead of "Guys, it doesn't matter who is in charge, let's work together please?" Especially since neither of them seemed to listen when I tried those compromise/neutral dialog options.

Once you die you become a zombie regardless right, is that why they had to keep ppl alive whilst they cut their limbs off to eat their flesh?

Yeah, that was their reasoning for keeping their victims alive. One of them even said that otherwise "the meat is tainted".

Though maybe the brothers didn't have full understanding of how zombies work. I mean... they could just chop someone's head off, then the body wouldn't zombify, would it?

Fjordson

Yeah. You're zombified regardless of how you die, so if they were to kill someone before getting their uh...meat, it'd all be spoiled almost instantly.

I liked how Carley suggests she would prefer you "take more of a leadership role". Was kinda disappointed that there wasn't really much of any option to do that during any of the Kenny/Lilly arguments.

Hopefully you get a chance to do that in the next episode. All "Shut the fuck up Kenny, shut the fuck up Lilly, this is what we're doing." instead of "Guys, it doesn't matter who is in charge, let's work together please?" Especially since neither of them seemed to listen when I tried those compromise/neutral dialog options.
Agreed. I'm guessing that'll come eventually. Especially once the final showdown between Kenny and Lilly comes. Or the final decision or something similar. No way both of them make it through the entire season.

Trigger

I was just looking through the episode screen and Kenny is visibly displayed in Episode 4 along with some unknown female, the portrait for episode 3 is Lily, she is not seen in any other portrait or episode screen after that. I really hope that's not a bad sign.

Well she's got somewhere else to be continuity wise. She can't stay with Lee much longer. Her role in the comics is quite big. COMIC SPOILERS:
She's the one that kills Lori and her baby as well as the Governor. At best she may survive the Prison incident, but we've got no clue how the timelines match up yet. Moreover, Kirkman himself never answered if she survived the prison.

Yeah, that was their reasoning for keeping their victims alive. One of them even said that otherwise "the meat is tainted".

Though maybe the brothers didn't have full understanding of how zombies work. I mean... they could just chop someone's head off, then the body wouldn't zombify, would it?

It wouldn't zombify, but it would start decaying. lol, this is a random complaint, but I was bothered how sloppily Mark's amputation was done. He was obviously dying of blood loss. You'd think the St. Johns would be more careful if they wanted to avoid "tainted meat".

It wouldn't zombify, but it would start decaying. lol, this is a random complaint, but I was bothered how sloppily Mark's amputation was done. He was obviously dying of blood loss. You'd think the St. Johns would be more careful if they wanted to avoid "tainted meat".

Well they have a meat freezer they could stash the human meat in after they chop off the head and skin it and all that.

As for how sloppy Mark's amputation was, it seems like they usually do their thing in the barn, but since our group were out and about so much all day they had to improvise and work in the house.

I'm not going to read that spoiler but I didn't get very far into the comics before getting turned off, the show is really my main source of knowledge for this series. Didn't even realise Lily was a character from the comic, all the interviews I saw said that Glenn was the only character in the group that was from the comics and the rest we're entirely original with the occasional cameo like Herschell. I'm pretty bummed now that she is definitely going to be gone.

ElRenoRaven

I'm not going to read that spoiler but I didn't get very far into the comics before getting turned off, the show is really my main source of knowledge for this series. Didn't even realise Lily was a character from the comic, all the interviews I saw said that Glenn was the only character in the group that was from the comics and the rest we're entirely original with the occasional cameo like Herschell. I'm pretty bummed now that she is definitely going to be gone.

I'll tell you this much. I don't think it's spoiler really. She wasn't a main character in the comics and was never with Ricks group. So yea she's not definitely going to be gone unless Telltale wants her gone.

Like I felt proud that I supported Clementine and didn't steal anything from the car at the end of episode 2. But then the sad music kicks in and we're standing by ourselves off to the side, cold and starving. I just know that's going to be fuck us over in the future, probably Clem especially just to really stick it to me. Damn you Telltale for your deliciously tough choices. And I guess there was a small part of me that thought it was some sort of trap. Super weird to find the car in perfect working order, all the food tucked into the back, and the lights still on. Have to wonder what happened there.
lol what? That was the easiest choice of all. You are in a group of starving people when walking home you find a car left unattended full of food and supplies. You call out and no one is there to claim the food, total no brainier to me. I was shocked so many people chose to keep walking. I wonder if it's a case of people playing the 'video game' or treating it as if they were in the situation. Like any other game with moral choices (Mass Effect) I play as if I am the main character and make decisions based upon what I would do if placed in that predicament.

KorrZ

lol what? That was the easiest choice of all. You are in a group of starving people when walking home you find a car left unattended full of food and supplies. You call out and no one is there to claim the food, total no brainier to me. I was shocked so many people chose to keep walking. I wonder if it's a case of people playing the 'video game' or treating it as if they were in the situation. Like any other game with moral choices (Mass Effect) I play as if I am the main character and make decisions based upon what I would do if placed in that predicament.

Yeah it was a no brainer for me too, I mean, we've got starving kids and I have to protect Clementine. Even if she doesn't quite understand the realities of this Zombie world yet, in the end it's better for her if we have the food.

The food rationing was the best moral dilemma they included. It's not a binary "pick one or the other" and it really left me sitting there for much longer than it probably should have trying to decide who to give food to. Although it's kind of a cop out that some of the characters won't take the food (I wanted to feed Carley cause I want to stay on her good side).

KevinCow

Banned
So what happens if you don't kill Larry? Does he die anyway and become a zombie?

Lilly didn't shoot the brother who was trying to kill me. What a bitch. Just stood there with the gun and watched. Still, beating him down with my own hands, and then leaving him screaming in the rain, bloody and beaten, with the knowledge that his family was dead? Far more satisfying than someone else shooting him.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it was a no brainer for me too, I mean, we've got starving kids and I have to protect Clementine. Even if she doesn't quite understand the realities of this Zombie world yet, in the end it's better for her if we have the food.

The food rationing was the best moral dilemma they included. It's not a binary "pick one or the other" and it really left me sitting there for much longer than it probably should have trying to decide who to give food to. Although it's kind of a cop out that some of the characters won't take the food (I wanted to feed Carley cause I want to stay on her good side).
Never thought about it like that....that Gary Whitta and his manipulative writing! :O

If I do play it again I will definitely steal that food...unless this severely impacts later eps.

There was the option to keep the food yourself too in the beginning...wonder if it makes them both bitter?

Never thought about it like that....that Gary Whitta and his manipulative writing! :O

If I do play it again I will definitely steal that food...unless this severely impacts later eps.

There was the option to keep the food yourself too in the beginning...wonder if it makes them both bitter?

I kept some for myself but fed the kids so Kenny wasn't mad. Lily just said that now I see how hard it is to decide who gets food.

BiggNife

So what happens if you don't kill Larry? Does he die anyway and become a zombie?
It gives you a QTE to do CPR, and then during the QTE Kenny drops the salt lick on Larry's head.

Someone in the other thread said that Larry actually starts breathing right before Kenny drops it, but I didn't notice that when I played it.

BiggNife

I think each episode has a different writer.
I think the way Telltale has always worked is that the writing team decides the main beats of the story as a group and then individual writers work on their own episodes.

Gary did consulting work on episode 2 (it's mentioned in the credits, and I remember he tweeted about the script a couple months ago), but the only episode he's writing is the fourth.

SmithnCo

It gives you a QTE to do CPR, and then during the QTE Kenny drops the salt lick on Larry's head.

Someone in the other thread said that Larry actually starts breathing right before Kenny drops it, but I didn't notice that when I played it.

I didn't notice that either. If true, that's messed up. Fuckin' Kenny.

Archurro

Lilly didn't shoot the brother who was trying to kill me. What a bitch. Just stood there with the gun and watched. Still, beating him down with my own hands, and then leaving him screaming in the rain, bloody and beaten, with the knowledge that his family was dead? Far more satisfying than someone else shooting him.

Kenny kills Larry himself with a saltlick

Larry was a danger to the group and I am glad he is dead, but I murdered him infront of his daughter. I have wanted him dead all along, but I felt bad when I chose to kill him. I was surprised at the end that the majority of people didn't kill him.

When I killed Danny with the pitchfork, I was glad to do it, but then they showed clementine and I actually gasped and felt awful. I couldn't believe what I had done. I don't know if I have ever regretted a decision as much in a game.

I let the second brother live.

I liked Mark, and I am sad he wasn't in the game more. Also, they telegraphed the farm twist too much for me.

It is a shame that this game is going to end. I am just glad we have three episodes left.

Lastly, clementine and I didn't steal. That was a tough choice, but we did the right thing.

Wow my Lee went DARK in this episode.

It's like he finally cracked from the paranoia and horror of the zombie apocalypse once he got to that farm.

He cut that guys leg off.
Shot that crazy lady in the forrest.
He killed Lilly's dad.
He stabbed that guy in the chest with a pitchfork.
Kicked that other guy onto the fence and barbecued him.
Looted the car and made Clem wear that hoodie.

He's a monster.
And I love it.

Gbraga

I don't think the food scene was that much of a no brainer. Someone said about placing yourself as the main character and making the choices as you were this person, and that's exactly why it's a no brainer. Sure, you need food, but you wouldn't even for a second considering keeping the child's moral intact? It was much more a question of moral than about food. For me it was about either leaving morals behind in a world like that and going only for survival or not letting the world change who you are, but for the kid, not us.

Having to decide to kill the first brother or not was really hard, but when I decided to spare his life and saw Clementine there, I was really glad I did it.

The way I'm approaching her is like I don't ever lie to her, but try not to crush her hopes as well. If I don't know if a guy will be ok, I don't say "he'll be ok", but I also don't say "I don't think so", I just say "I don't know, hope so".

Astery

I hope the branches of the story keeps up, even tho most of the decisions comes back to the same point one way or another.
Awesome episode, kind of liked it more than episode 1. I play my main save slot like how I'll act.

-Cut dude's leg off. Hey, at least he still have a chance right? Felt a bit sorry when Lilly blame the not enough food thing on me, and I wanted to be able to choose an option to force them away when they get are healed up and so on, but nope none of that choice. It's cool tho. I really feel sorry for Lilly when she further goes on about the food ration that no one is willing to do it so she has to, which rings my bell. In reality, I was recently depressed and annoyed with the same reason. I helped myself by not caring so much of the shit. But I totally understand that feeling.

- Didn't shoot the lady. I first thought she was Clem's mum so I wanted to listen what she have to say (Proven wrong, she was just a random woman who lost her child prob to the St. Johns. Picked this up in my 2nd playthrough)

- Tried to save Larry. Even Larry is such an asshole, I do get it's mostly for her daughter's good, even punching Lee and leaving him for the walkers is so out of line. I can't just kill someone with them not being able to fight back in any other way. He needed all the help he can get if by chance he is still alive. If he is dead and turns to a walker, I'll deal with it with 3 adults there when it comes to that. I feel more entitled to defend myself anyway.

- Left Danny on his own. He is trapped and couldn't go anywhere or far. What can he do? Just leave him alone to rot.

- Left Andy too, he is the only St. Johns with most of his brains intact/ not as creepy. He just completely broke down knowing he is the only one left in the family. Walkers surrounding and he ain't going anywhere too.

- Looted the car, gave Clem hoodie. I wanted to choose to wait for a few minutes to see if the car is really abandoned or not. It was strange to have a car in the middle of no where with keys intact and making all the god damn sound. Any people with some sense will not leave a car like that anyway. So I personally consider either the owners got ambushed or some accident happened, which doesn't look good tbh. For survival reasons, I decide to loot the car. We didn't force anyone to hand us the stuff, nor did we stalk the car in order to loot it afterall. That's a thin line from direct stealing I guess. Clem is definately not happy, Lilly ain't pleased too from her dad just died, but I know I did what I have to do.

I keep my distance from Kenny after he just drop the bomb right on Larry's face. God damn. He also acts selfishly right after that. Now I know if I keep siding with Kenny, he will be a perfect buddy so to speak, like Shawn from the tv series.

I didn't side with Lily just because I know what role she plays in the comics (its fucked up).

-didn't side with Kenny either. So he is pissed at me.

-didn't shoot the crazy woman in the woods

-tried to save Larry. (the face smash while I was giving CPR shocked the shit out of me)

-killed both brothers in front of the group. That was such a awesome moment, punching the shit out of that guy in the rain with the amazingly sad music playing in the background.

-took the food from the car and made Clem understand that we had to.

This game is GOOOOD!

Top Bottom