• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's The Walking Dead - Story Discussion (UNMARKED SPOILERS)

Duck is kind of annoying but mostly because he really really has a bad VA.
Shouldn't have fed him. You'd have a better chance of him... not making it.
I don't blame you, haha.

What's the deal with the cow dying? I saw someone else mention something on it, but I never noticed or caught that scene. What happened?

The cow's about to give birth when you first see it. I don't remember a scene with the cow being killed.
I think I must have just misunderstood the backroom/slaughter room thing as the cow dying in other posts. I'm going to assume that's the case, at least.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think I must have just misunderstood the backroom/slaughter room thing as the cow dying in other posts. I'm going to assume that's the case, at least.

Yup, it was one of the excuses to cover for the bloody room IIRC, a slaugherhouse for some of the animals.

The cow doesn't die, it gives birth during the sneaking out scene. Well...it's probably dead now considering the zombies taking the place over, but yeah.

Though now you're totally prepared to be thinking about the repercussions of zombie cow milk before your episode is out.
This is some kind of potential, bizarre ping-pong effect. We play the game, Gary reads our impressions/thoughts, it shapes his perception of the universe in various ways, we play content shaped loosely from our experiences, and he reads the impressions of our time in a story shaped by our earlier thoughts. It's like we're actually part of some larger meta-game we never even knew we were a part of. How did this happen?! WHAT'S GOING ON?!

gdt

Yup, it was one of the excuses to cover for the bloody room IIRC, a slaugherhouse for some of the animals.

The cow doesn't die, it gives birth during the sneaking out scene. Well...it's probably dead now considering the zombies taking the place over, but yeah.

weebay.gif

This is some kind of potential, bizarre ping-pong effect. We play the game, Gary reads our impressions/thoughts, it shapes his perception of the universe in various ways, we play content shaped loosely from our experiences, and he reads the impressions of our time in a story shaped by our earlier thoughts. It's like we're actually part of some larger meta-game we never even knew we were a part of. How did this happen?! WHAT'S GOING ON?!

We are the Walking Dead.

I was sad that there wasn't any (apparent) way to stop Brenda without her dying, but I'm glad I managed to rescue Katja. I figured that'd get me some points with Kenny, but I GUESS NOT. The fight against Andy was pretty intense, but I kind of ruined the part where he was trying to shove my face up to the fence. I was too good at pressing the Q button, and I kept it going for what must have been nearly a minute and a half. I figured I must have missed a prompt before, and I was just .
I so forgot about this! Man I was pressing the button for like 3 MINUTES before I gave up
KuGsj.gif

Sloane

Banned
Liked the second episode, I just found it annoying that I couldn't tell the others not to go to the fucking farm. I was suspicious from the beginning and figured out pretty quickly what was going on but the game never gave me the option to tell anyone which made me feel, uh, disconnected from Lee a bit. Think it would have been better if I could have told the others that something was off but they would have overruled me or something. This way, Lee looks like a fool -- and his dialogue in this episode in general didn't really help either.

So I sided mostly with Lily this episode. However, when it came to the end i chose the option where I told Kenny he was "No Hero". I wanted to pick the most pro-kenny choice because i didnt side with him in the meat locker.. Did I chose fucking wrong because it seemed like I made things even worse with him!

So I sided mostly with Lily this episode. However, when it came to the end i chose the option where I told Kenny he was "No Hero". I wanted to pick the most pro-kenny choice because i didnt side with him in the meat locker.. Did I chose fucking wrong because it seemed like I made things even worse with him!

Seems thats the easiest you can let him off. I told him he murdered her dad and he told me to fuck off and stormed off.

Seems thats the easiest you can let him off. I told him he murdered her dad and he told me to fuck off and stormed off.

Okay. I didn't strongly side with him (didnt save his kid episode 1, also remained neutral about kid) so I know he is pissed. I did give his son food. I am sure I am now doubly fucked given my preview for episode 3.

I don't think so. I've tried all the options and I would say that choosing the last option of saying nothing would be the one that lets him off the lightest. He still expresses disappointment but it's not as bad as when you actively accuse him of murder or destroying the group.

I don't know if Telltale looks at it exactly the same way but I do kinda think of this iteration of TWD as a kind of interactive TV series. The way that people can discuss the story the same way they would after a TV episode airs, but with the added wrinkle of comparing notes because everyone is experiencing their own unique version of the story is just fantastic, I love it. I remember loving the Infocom "interactive fiction" games as a kid and it's amazing to see how far that concept of interactive fiction has come, this is about as good as it gets right now.

BTW I feel like I can say that without sounding boastful because honestly my contribution to the series so far has been pretty minimal, just consulting on the broad strokes of the story and doing some fine-tuning of the scripts. Just as someone playing the episodes along with everyone one I'm in awe of what the Telltale team has done here.

fallout

BTW I feel like I can say that without sounding boastful because honestly my contribution to the series so far has been pretty minimal, just consulting on the broad strokes of the story and doing some fine-tuning of the scripts. Just as someone playing the episodes along with everyone one I'm in awe of what the Telltale team has done here.
FWIW, I have zero affiliation and I'm loving this stuff, too. Coming into this thread and seeing all the different reactions, justifications, notes, etc. It's really fun.

I don't know if Telltale looks at it exactly the same way but I do kinda think of this iteration of TWD as a kind of interactive TV series. The way that people can discuss the story the same way they would after a TV episode airs, but with the added wrinkle of comparing notes because everyone is experiencing their own unique version of the story is just fantastic, I love it. I remember loving the Infocom "interactive fiction" games as a kid and it's amazing to see how far that concept of interactive fiction has come, this is about as good as it gets right now.

This is what truly amazed me about watching someone else play the episodes. I wasn't bored at all due to the fact that I wasn't interacting and I often forgot that it was a game and instead saw it as an animated narrative. Pretty seamless and amazing. I look forward to playing it when I get back to a place where I can do that as I want to see the different story arcs, but for right now, watching it seems just as fun.

Gbraga

So, I see that a lot of people fed Mark, is anyone gonna say that we just did it because he's a guy like a lot claimed that we did it with Carley? Or maybe now they'll understand that we just care for the characters?

So, I see that a lot of people fed Mark, is anyone gonna say that we just did it because he's a guy like a lot claimed that we did it with Carley? Or maybe now they'll understand that we just care for the characters?
Dude's a worker and a hunter. If he's gonna be responsible for getting food and making sure our defenses are decent, I want him on to of his game!

The reason I fed Mark was because when he was helping Larry he couldn't keep the board straight because he was becoming physically exhausted. Simple. I fed Clem, Duck and myself. Since Lily refused the offer. I ate it myself.

Oni Jazar

Of all the games that have ever been "episodic" in the past (not just Telltale I mean everything going back to Wing Commander: Secret Ops), TWD has come the closest to realizing that vision that you just described. It has a phenomenal "water cooler" effect that has never happened before.

megalowho

The reason I fed Mark was because when he was helping Larry he couldn't keep the board straight because he was becoming physically exhausted. Simple. I fed Clem, Duck and myself. Since Lily refused the offer. I ate it myself.
I thought he was just putting on an act. Who can't hold up a board? I didn't feed him because I didn't trust him. But I don't want to trust anyone in that group besides Clem.

Lily will take the food if you insist, I fed her and her dad + the kids. Group politics.

I thought he was just putting on an act. Who can't hold up a board? I didn't feed him because I didn't trust him. But I don't want to trust anyone in that group besides Clem.

Lily will take the food if you insist, I fed her and her dad + the kids. Group politics.

I realised I could have forced her, but when I'm trying to be kind, and you're acting like an infant, well, tough luck. All the better for me.

Untracked

I love this story but I have a confession.... I haven't played it and instead just watched two videos of the episodes... I'm ashamed.
I watched videos until they got to the dairy. I had enjoyed watching Episode 1, but arriving at the dairy was the part that really grabbed me. It was clear something was very wrong in that place and I wanted to investigate it myself (I had no idea what was coming). So I bought both and finished Ep2 last night. It's absolutely amazing entertainment, I've really connected with the characters / story in a way I've never had from a TV Show.
The salt lick part with Clem was so adorable, I had the biggest grin on my stupid face.
Really glad I bought this, very, very impressed. Cannot wait for Episode 3, please don't make me wait too long!

goodfella

Just finished Episiode 2!

Wow that was a great episode, though I guessed they were cannibals early on. I was constantly looking for an option to just get the fuck out of there without searching the barn, but that wasn't an option which kind of sucked.
I get that they wanted you to go through the whole capture thing, but there could have been a way to let you choose to leave, and then they stop you or something, rather than take away the illusion of choice.

It seems a bit silly that Kenny is now angry, despite me being really friendly with him at the beginning of the ep, just because I didn't want to kill Larry.
A flaw I could see arising is that characters disposition towards you is going to be to binary.

Edit: Oh, I thought the whole stealing supplies thing was redundant, at least for me, I am trying to have the highest possible moral ground, and since its not like my character is going to die of starvation, I didn't care to break that.
Still, this game is fucking amazing, I am so happy something like this is having the success that it seems to be enjoying.

It seems a bit silly that Kenny is now angry, despite me being really friendly with him at the beginning of the ep, just because I didn't want to kill Larry.
A flaw I could see arising is that characters disposition towards you is going to be to binary.

Yeah, I pretty much was total best bros with Kenny in all of episode 1 and gave his kid food at the beginning of episode 2 and only decided to try CPR on Larry to try at least a little bit to stay in the good graces of Lilly. I figured if Larry started to turn, then you could salt block his noggin. But nope, Kenny kills Larry and then totally leaves me out to dry when the one brother gets into a scuffle with you in the barn. Seems a bit much for him to be a total asshole after just that one decision.

Just played through episode 1 and 2 the past couple days and its so much fun. I totally saw the cannibal twist coming though and was almost hoping the twist would be that somebody else accuses them of cannibalism when maybe the St John's actually weren't.

They just gave off a heavy Deliverance creepy vibe from the onset and I was just reminded of the bit in The Road with the cannibals in the house and the people chained in the basement. Still, it was great in the tension and suspense it built even suspecting all that from the get go.

As far as choices, I axed off the teacher's legs; let the one brother shoot Jolene; failed in stopping Clem from eating the meat ( ITS PEOPLE!); tried to save Larry; killed both brothers and looted the car. Usually in games like this or RPGs I'll try to be the good guy but the timed decisions makes you act a bit more impulsively and in the heat of the moment which is awesome.

All I know is that I'll be ticked off if they kill off Carly anytime soon. She is totally awesome.

Episode 2 is so much darker in tone than the first. I'm not easily shocked, but there were moments where I trembled and felt uncomfortable at some of the situations, and what I as the player was coaxed into doing.

Have to say though, I was surprised that only 35% of players chose to kill off Larry. I tolerated enough of that old curmudgeon and wasn't exactly desperate to ensure he was kept alive. What happens if you don't drop a salt lick on his head, does he turn?

Episode 2 is so much darker in tone than the first. I'm not easily shocked, but there were moments where I trembled and felt uncomfortable at some of the situations, and what I as the player was coaxed into doing.

Have to say though, I was surprised that only 35% of players chose to kill off Larry. I tolerated enough of that old curmudgeon and wasn't exactly desperate to ensure he was kept alive. What happens if you don't drop a salt lick on his head, does he turn?

He dies either way.

SmithnCo

Kenny drops one on him as you are trying to save him.

JBuccCP

Yeah the way Kenny turned on you immediately was pretty stupid. I saved his kid instead of the other guy, sided with him in nearly every argument, then gave his kid food only to have his treacherous ass betray me after one disagreement. Plus he's racist so all bets are off now. I'll probably still save his kid, but if one of those either-or scenarios pops up with him and someone else, bye-bye Kenny.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I tried my best to be neutral and now I think everyone hates me. Sometimes I'd do things for Kenny and then other times for Lilly.

I killed the first brother with the intention of wiping out the entire family, but I felt horrible when Clem saw what I did. So I spared the second brother.

I didn't feel bad at all taking the food from the car, but that was more because the door was open and the keys were in the ignition. I felt like they were gone. That stuff in there was game in my opinion. I did feel awkward having to explain to Clem about why I thought it was ok though.

Great game so far. Hopefully it continues like this.

Mrbob

Put me on team Lily too. Kenny is too much a betrayer for me to care about his character anymore. Too easily he turns on Lee even if your choice isn't fully siding with Lilly. Then doing nothing in the barn with a hunting rifle in Lee's face. GTFO Kenny, I'm done with you.

Also he seemed too healthy at the end after taking a hunting rifle shot.

I killed the first brother with the intention of wiping out the entire family, but I felt horrible when Clem saw what I did. So I spared the second brother.

I felt bad after Clem saw the first brother get killed. But I'm not going to leave loose ends. That second brother was pissed off at you and I'm not going to give him the slim chance of somehow making it out of there alive to turn up again later. Especially after they butchered Mark and tried to kill everyone.

I was kind of shocked when I saw the stats and it was something like only 15% of people killed both brothers.

I didn't feel bad at all taking the food from the car, but that was more because the door was open and the keys were in the ignition. I felt like they were gone. That stuff in there was game in my opinion. I did feel awkward having to explain to Clem about why I thought it was ok though.

I was kind of wishing there was an option to leave some stuff behind. Or maybe some option to pick a certain percentage of stuff to take. Instead its all or nothing. Kind of like the Ken situation, I hope things consequences to decisions don't just make characters act completely black or white towards you.

aristotle

Didn't see this posted. My hopes are now dashed :(

TellTale Games said:
Hello Everyone

First and foremost we want to thank everyone for their patience with regard to the launch of episode two of The Walking Dead. As you may know, it arrived later than anticipated and this has been a cause of frustration for everyone.

Our goal from day one has been to deliver your game episodes as quickly as possible, and where we can, simultaneously across all platforms and regions. We've been working closely with our phenomenally supportive partners to try to make this a reality. We will continue to work on this and furthermore, we will strive to improve our communication with you so that you know what’s happening. Please rest assured that we are doing all we can to get your game episodes to you as quickly as possible.

For many of you, the most important thing is to let you know when the next episode (Episode 3: Long Road Ahead) will be available, and although we can't give you an exact date at this time, we can say that episode three will be ready in the middle of August, and that we and our partners will do all that we can to release all platforms and regions as close together as possible.

The response to episode two has been overwhelmingly positive and we can't say enough about how much we appreciate everyone enjoying what we are creating. We’re truly humbled by your continuing support.

We look forward to your feedback on episode two and can’t wait for you to play episode three!

-Telltale Games

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-975

Mrbob

Yikes. This it the first time I've bought a season pass right away for a Telltale game, and it will probably be my last unless they can get their schedule more consistent. I'd rather play these games one after another than waiting over a month to play the next episode.

Larry was at least a little justified in his treatment of Lee. He knew Lee was a convicted murderer and for killing a senator for having an affair with Lee's wife. He had his daughter with him and was worried about someone who can easily snap easily and kill others being around her. Because of this I looked at Larry as more of a protective father than a racist asshole and tried to save him when the moment came. We still don't know the whole story about Lee's conviction, Lee can admit to it being an accident in a conversation with Carly but thats pretty much the extent so far. Looking forward to seeing it fleshed out a bit more.

Didn't see this posted. My hopes are now dashed :(
http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-975

That is extremely disappointing. The release schedule and technical issues really cast a shadow over what would otherwise be the game of the year for me.

Yikes. This it the first time I've bought a season pass right away for a Telltale game, and it will probably be my last unless they can get their schedule more consistent. I'd rather play these games one after another than waiting over a month to play the next episode.

For what it's worth, this is the only time they've ever missed schedule, I'm pretty sure. I know Back To The Future and Strong Bad were released consistently, and they're the most recent ones I've played.

Top Bottom