• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's The Walking Dead - Story Discussion (UNMARKED SPOILERS)

Clunker

"Long Road Ahead" indeed! ;) I feel like I'm one of the few people who don't mind a monthlong wait between episodes, but I'm an old man now who usually plays games in 30-minute bursts if he even gets that much free time. Granted, I did play Starved for Help in almost one continuous session, but after that my adventure game taste can use some time off. If I tried to shotgun this entire series in one go after all five episodes are out, I feel like I'd think the mechanics would feel way too repetitive for one 10+ hour game.

Also, I was one of the many who didn't kill Larry, mostly because I didn't think he was actually dead at first! I really thought I could revive him, or at least I remembered him having a lot of chest pains in Ep. 1 and being able to wait a long time for me to get into pharmacy.

TheCrow

Yeah, this might be first and last time I buy a season. If I knew it was going to be 2 months between episodes I would've waited till they were all released or for a sale.

For what it's worth, this is the only time they've ever missed schedule, I'm pretty sure. I know Back To The Future and Strong Bad were released consistently, and they're the most recent ones I've played.

Yeah. It's disappointing that this is the first Telltale thing a lot of people are playing, as the release schedule has been near perfect up until this point. Most of the time it's just people complaining the day of that it's not up yet.

I imagine making all of the branching pathways is a likely reason that it's taking a bit longer than usual. I'm fine with the wait considering the quality.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Didn't see this posted. My hopes are now dashed :(

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-975

we can say that episode three will be ready in the middle of August

Sadly, having it ready and having all platforms available at the same time are two different things. All it takes is one console manufacturer have a hissy fit and we all suffer.

Now onto my Pt1 and Pt2 post.

What reasons did you have to make the decisions you did when prompted?

Ep 01

6mfSj.jpg

1. I lied to Hershel as I wasn't sure he would've been as helpful if he learned I was in the back of a cop car

2. The reason I saved Duck was because I figured I could move the tractor in time to free Shawn

3. I can't remember now. Maybe it was because Kenny wanted to hit Larry. My memory is a little fuzzy but I am sure I was protecting Duck either way

4. This was a given. Let the woman top herself off before she turned

5. I chose to save Doug only because Carley had a gun. I thought Carley could've saved herself and didn't realise the gun was empty.

Ep 02

mGKhQ.jpg

1. Only on the end screen I figured there must've been a way to free him without cutting off his leg. I did try to free him once but it didn't work so I opted for the axe. I wonder now if you could've freed him and had him as a character for the duration of the episode (Don't tell me, I will be replaying this game when I've finished Ep5 and making opposite decisions)

2. I thought we'd be able to calm her down. Certainly didn't expect Danny to put one between her eyes. That's where I started to wonder if things weren't as they appeared.

3. Obviously Larry was supposed to die but it's not obvious at this point and I kinda hoped I could resuscitate him. Didn't expect the outcome :lol

4. I thought not killing the first brother in the barn may have given me the upper hand in any future confrontations with the mother and other brother but alas, it wasn't to be. With the second brother, I just wanted to show not all people thought it was a dog-eat-dog world.

5. How was I to know the people wouldn't return? Still, needed to set a good example for Clemantine.

Was a little disappointed how my choices were in the majority this time. The first Ep I really thought all mine would be in the majority. Looks like I am living in opposite land. =D

*Edit*
Also, that guy who had his legs cut off at the end, Mark, which one was he? Not the guy who was going off in the car to find his friends at the end of Ep 1 was it? Man I forget some peoples names.

1. I told the truth, because it was my goal to ensure that I'm a trustworthy idealist.

2. Saved Duck, namely because I knew Shaun had to die.

3. Sided with Kenny, obviously.

4. Gave Irene the gun. In hindsight I wish I hadn't; I'm now designing my Lee to be a character who fights tooth 'n' nail to avoid succumbing to the new world, but breaks (not this early, though).

5. Saved Carley. Doug is nice, and I wouldn't mind him surviving at all, but I had way more scenes with Carley, and I learned more about her.

1. Cut off his leg - just because I figured that's what I had to do. :p

2. Spared Jolene - mostly because if she did shoot me, I could try again.

3. I spared Larry. While he hated my guts, I learned to appreciate him. Plus, my Lee wouldn't let their differences affect him in such a way.

4. Spared the brothers. Didn't feel as though this was a good breaking point for the character - they cost the lives of a friend and a friend's father, but I didn't want them to egg me into killing them.

5. I chose to take the supplies; it was a lot more innocent a way to show him adapting to the way the world's changed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
*Edit*
Also, that guy who had his legs cut off at the end, Mark, which one was he? Not the guy who was going off in the car to find his friends at the end of Ep 1 was it? Man I forget some peoples names.

Mark was new in the 3 month gap. Lily briefly mentions him only being there because he had enough food for them all, and something about a rough pick up but that was about all we were given for his history.

Episode 01

1. Lied my ass off. Not getting thrown out by letting everyone know I killed a man.

2. Saved Duck, no time to pull the tractor off Shawn.

3. Sided with Kenny, but the game says I sided with Larry. I wanted to check Duck for bites before we took action.

4. Didn't give her the gun. Why the fuck would I? Let her fire it and I'm not only down a bullet, but she's attracted every Walker in range. Hell fucking no.

5. Doug. Carley had one zombie on her ankle; Doug had about 10.

Episode 02

1. Cut the man's leg, didn't even think there was an alternative.

2. Tried to reason with her, she got shot. Ah well.

3. Annihilated Larry, and I question the judgement of anyone that didn't do the same. Why would you give CPR to someone who's heart had stopped - he could go Walker at any second and kill you AND Clem.

4. Killed first brother with pitchfork, spared the second one. Getting ripped apart by the walkers is what that sick bastard deserves, I'm not gonna mercy kill him.

5. Took the supplies. Don't know why anyone wouldn't, really. You want to go back to starving to death just to prove a point to Clem? Really? Fuck honor; we need to live.

Episode 01

1. Lied my ass off. Not getting thrown out by letting everyone know I killed a man.

2. Saved Duck, no time to pull the tractor off Shawn.

3. Sided with Kenny, but the game says I sided with Larry. I wanted to check Duck for bites before we took action.

4. Didn't give her the gun. Why the fuck would I? Let her fire it and I'm not only down a bullet, but she's attracted every Walker in range. Hell fucking no.

5. Doug. Carley had one zombie on her ankle; Doug had about 10.

Episode 02

1. Cut the man's leg, didn't even think there was an alternative.

2. Tried to reason with her, she got shot. Ah well.

3. Annihilated Larry, and I question the judgement of anyone that didn't do the same. Why would you give CPR to someone who's heart had stopped - he could go Walker at any second and kill you AND Clem.

4. Killed first brother with pitchfork, spared the second one. Getting ripped apart by the walkers is what that sick bastard deserves, I'm not gonna mercy kill him.

5. Took the supplies. Don't know why anyone wouldn't, really. You want to go back to starving to death just to prove a point to Clem? Really? Fuck honor; we need to live.

3b. Idealist versus survivalist. I understand why people would not take the risk, but the idealist wants to maintain the old order of the world. Comic spoilers:
It's the same as when Dale wouldn't allow the group to take the life of Ben after he killed his twin brother Billy (without understanding that he did wrong). Granted, the situation was a lot more urgent in the game, but at the same time, I'm sure Dale would have treated the situation in the same way.
In my opinion, Lee shouldn't reached that point in only the second Episode.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Episode 02

Given my choices, I am going to die in a real world zombie apocalypse aren't I? ;)

We have no idea how long it takes someone to turn or if it's the same for each person, and we have a supply of heavy shit to drop on it's head the moment it makes a zombie growl. Kenny is just too impatient.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I found it was interesting that their were many times I personally wanted to kill Larry but when it came down to it I had to help his daughter and make sure he was still alive.

As far as the story direction this time it was very strange, knew for forever those people were cannibals.

5. Saved Carley. Doug is nice, and I wouldn't mind him surviving at all, but I had way more scenes with Carley, and I learned more about her.

Yeah, I mean Doug seemed nice but you barely got any screentime with him.

And while I think some people wanted Carley dead since she knows about Lee's past, I figured that might be a good thing down the road. Say, if somebody like a Larry type also thinks he knows about Lee's past, if Carley is on your side she could back you up since she was a reporter who probably knows more about Lee's history than the average person.

Audίoboxer;39570602 said:
What's the other option for the guys leg at the beginning? Can you actually save him?

I believe you either chop his leg off and the other kid gets eaten, or you fail to free him by non leg-chopping means and he does. Get eaten I mean.

demidar

I'd like to hear people's reasons for saving Carley. Personally I saved Doug because I figured his skillset is a lot more valuable than Carley's. Not everyone knows their way around electronics after all, and learning that stuff is kind of hard in a post-apocalyptic world.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill

This is excellent news.

I'd like to hear people's reasons for saving Carley. Personally I saved Doug because I figured his skillset is a lot more valuable than Carley's. Not everyone knows their way around electronics after all, and learning that stuff is kind of hard in a post-apocalyptic world.

Carley is good with a gun and Doug is good with electronics. Unfortunately, pretty soon electronics are going to be really scarce, and there won't be any electricity save for generators.

This is excellent news.

Carley is good with a gun and Doug is good with electronics. Unfortunately, pretty soon electronics are going to be really scarce, and there won't be any electricity save for generators.

He isn't just good with "electronics". He's basically the Chubby Mcguyver of the Zombie apocalypse.

Ein Bear

Until the results screen at the end, I didn't even realise you had a choice in chopping that guys leg off. How else can that scenario play out?

I found it was interesting that their were many times I personally wanted to kill Larry but when it came down to it I had to help his daughter and make sure he was still alive.

As far as the story direction this time it was very strange, knew for forever those people were cannibals.

It's strange. I knew there was something wrong with them, but I didn't think cannibals straight away. I must be an idiot. I actually thought that they were just going to try and capture us and then ransack the hotel area. What had me thinking that was when the one brother asked how many people were in my crew, and if we had weapons. I loved that it gave me the option to divert the conversation.

demidar

This is a good point, electronics would get more scarce, but wouldn't ammunition too? Not like assembly lines work anymore to pump out more guns and bullets. Soon everyone would be using bows and arrows like them bandits in Ep 2.

He isn't just good with "electronics". He's basically the Chubby Mcguyver of the Zombie apocalypse.
Another good point, his intellect would allow his tech-savvy to bleed through to other skills, like making the alarm for the motel fort. Also Lee's a pretty good shot himself.

Until the results screen at the end, I didn't even realise you had a choice in chopping that guys leg off. How else can that scenario play out?

My scenario, was bloody, hectic, violent, desperate, chaotic. Utter pandemonium. I tried everything to save the guy. I chopped the chain. Attempted chopping at the tree ( which was foolish; as after one swing I stopped I was never getting through something that thick). I tried prying open the trap, I basically did everything I could, and then I realised the awful truth. I had to hack it off. One chop. Violent screams, the others begging me to hurry as Walkers approached, the kids begging me to save their teacher that brought them that far. Second chop, tense mayhem. Pain and agony. Third chop, as I was about to severe the foot it was too late. They were upon us. In the commotion the young boy was shot. Frenzied panic. We ran.

I felt horrible. I wish I could have driven the axe in the teachers head just before I left to end his pain, but I couldn't. I put him through psychological and physical pain, and he was still eaten alive.

I failed, but in retrospect. I wouldn't have started my personal episode any other way.

Radogol

I believe you either chop his leg off and the other kid gets eaten, or you fail to free him by non leg-chopping means and he does. Get eaten I mean.

I noticed the chain is tied to a tree just before time ran out. I wasn't quick enough to even point my cursor at it, though. Can you at least attempt to chop the tree?

I noticed the chain is tied to a tree just before time ran out. I wasn't quick enough to even point my cursor at it, though. Can you at least attempt to chop the tree?

Yeah Lol, but the axe literally does nothing to the tree. You would be there for a week and never get more than 8 inches in with that axe.

Brookshi

Neo Member

Saved Carley because she knew about Lee's past, and still trusted me to do the right thing. By the end of episode two, she will be the only one to know about Lee's past. So I'm hoping Carley will have my back if the group ever finds out about it, and they start to have second thoughts about Lee. Also The more I learned about Carley, the more I began to like her. Pretty handy with that gun too, but not with batteries.

Kinda wished Duck took the place of Mark, and got chopped up instead. Brenda would be thrilled to have some roast duck.

She was the more interesting character in the first episode, in my opinion. Not only did she know who you were, she was a journalist, and she just seemed more entertaining in the long run than Doug. Also, she's a good aim. The comics have taught me that can be exceptionally helpful.

Kinyou

Gotta give credit to Telltale for not just killing off Carly/Doug in Episode 2. Sure, they did a little cop out by having them gone for half of the episode, but it didn't feel forced in any way.

Trigger

I must be blood thirsty or something because amputation seemed obvious after the chain was a no go.

Gotta give credit to Telltale for not just killing off Carly/Doug in Episode 2. Sure, they did a little cop out by having them gone for half of the episode, but it didn't feel forced in any way.

Here's hoping the choice makes a long term difference.

bjork

Is it even possible to shoot Jolene? I picked that option on one run, and then I couldn't see how to actually do it, so Danny shot her anyway.

I hope though that it doesn't happen until the games are done. Gotta keep us surprised, right?

But - I do hope that if he were to appear in the TV show, that he is all alone. Basically to make people question whether the TV show Lee will match the game Lee.

TheMink

1. I lied to Hershel as I wasn't sure he would've been as helpful if he learned I was in the back of a cop car

5. How was I to know the people wouldn't return? Still, needed to set a good example for Clemantine.

Apparently other people thought this as well, but I didn't even realize I had even lied to Hershel XD

I kept seeing people say that feeding Clem was more important than keeping her morals strong. But I think that wasnt even the issue at all! It was Clem who initially said that we shouldnt steal the food, at that point it wasn't about stealing or not stealing it was about whether or not you want to side with Clem! If Clem had said "I think we should steal" I would have sided with her. After all your not her father, and so trust isn't implied it's earned. I think taking her side was a good way to further gain her trust.
Does anybody else feel this way?

Sober

It seems a bit silly that Kenny is now angry, despite me being really friendly with him at the beginning of the ep, just because I didn't want to kill Larry.
A flaw I could see arising is that characters disposition towards you is going to be to binary.
I think that if it comes to it, if there is a moment that feels binary, it's mostly because the characters are acting in the moment. They aren't going to put their issues aside necessarily and get shit done and deal with it afterwards (apparently this happens in you kill Larry - Lily doesn't shoot Andy when he has you up against the electric fence, correct?). I can see if it comes down to moments like that, you might have to do some convincing or refreshing people's memories to turn their favour back towards you. Things like trying to mediate the argument in episode 1 probably pissed off Kenny because all he gave a shit about was Larry trying to kill his son or throw him back outside. It seems like any other time, Kenny is relatively level-headed but when shit hits the fan, he freaks the fuck out and goes into dad mode and gives no shits about anyone else. Or, at least I'm hoping I can keep him on my side even if he doesn't like some of my other decisions, as long as I can try to keep his family safe.

I also hope Doug/Carley have a bigger role because they were kinda left out in the last episode. Hopefully they don't have much overlap either so it'd make replays more interesting with having one or the other instead of they-sorta-do-the-same-thing with no real discernible difference between them.

I hope though that it doesn't happen until the games are done. Gotta keep us surprised, right?

But - I do hope that if he were to appear in the TV show, that he is all alone. Basically to make people question whether the TV show Lee will match the game Lee.

Yeah on the TV show they could do whatever they want, like pick exactly how Lee's story played out, who else from the game is still around and kicking.

In the comics it'd have to be kinda vague (unless they chose a specific telling of the events of the game to be canon). Whoever in the group who can die in any episode of the game would not be with Lee anymore. It'd be easy to do, considering the span of time between the end of the game and wherever he'd be introduced in the comics would probably be decently large.

Though I wouldn't be shocked if there was a "Lee dies" ending that you can wind up with by the end of the game. Or a "Clementine dies" ending! Either one just being a thing that could possibly happen would really drive home the whole "no one is safe" mantra of The Walking Dead.

TheMink

It seems a bit silly that Kenny is now angry, despite me being really friendly with him at the beginning of the ep, just because I didn't want to kill Larry.
A flaw I could see arising is that characters disposition towards you is going to be to binary.

I couldn't believe that bastard wasn't even going to try and save me from the brother just because I didn't want to murder larry (even if larry was a dick)
So I aperently deserve to die because I didn't want to drop a salt lick on larrys chromedomia within ten seconds of him falling to the floor -_-
Obviously somewhat unrealistic, but I love it that Kenny was such a tool, I love to hate him! Now he doesn't have a leg to stand on in any arguement, and I'm going to capitalize on that :D

Not really relating to the story, but I thought of this while playing this episode.

The game is set in the South, society has gone to hell, and no one has said one racist thing against Lee. The worst is that Kenny (in my game) made an "urban" joke towards Lee. I just find it really odd that race has been completely ignored.

Also, I just started watching the show on Netflix, and episode 2 (which is playing right now as I type this) has one guy calling another guy the N-word.

I don't know what my point is (and I've seen the attempts to talk about racism and sexism in video games that uniformly end spectacularly poor), but it is something that seemed noticeably lacking in this episode.

Top Bottom