• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA: FoA |OT| F2P Now on Steam! Parade coming after HL3

NeOak

It depends on what server. My friends and I are on Ascension Valley.

You're still in that ghost town?

All my characters are on Tempest Reach, but I probably won't be playing much once the double-whammy of The Witcher 3 and Neon Struct is released. Depends on how much I like the new class.

It's fun.

Tried this game for a good 4 hours, it's good but my laptop (2011 HP latptop) can't handle it on 30fps, I'll play it more once I get a new MSI Laptop.

But my little brother plays it and he's the leader of a clan that now has a castle in the game, if you spot Einyels in game, tell him for me that he needs to study.

What server? I haven't seen that name in Tempest Reach.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Steam huh? Even then I don't think I have any time to spend on the game
dac15_fade.gif

It's fun.

I am starting to see that! Started a fresh character for kicks. I'm already enjoying the Gunner's superior combat run speed compared to the other classes. Also really like how I can cancel Scattershot with a roll -- and speaking of which, I find it very interesting that the Gunner's dodge skill has no invincibility frames. Reminds me of when Archer's Backstep lacked invulnerability.

Kudo

Would give it a try again if my computer could handle it without melting, I assume there haven't been that much optimization in patches?

I have 60 Lancer, 50ish Sorcerer and 30 Warrior on some NA server. I got all the Elin figures to replace character classes so now I don't need Mystic, Berserker and Slayer (not delivered yet), one day I'll go for Reaper and Priest.

Does SSD help much? I remember cities could be ghostzones sometimes cause the models were loading so slow, just gray people everywhere.
Main problem that made me quit was that after you close the game whole computer lags like never before when opening programs etc, I guess that could be related to RAM as I only have 4gb.

NeOak

Would give it a try again if my computer could handle it without melting, I assume there haven't been that much optimization in patches?

I have 60 Lancer, 50ish Sorcerer and 30 Warrior on some NA server. I got all the Elin figures to replace character classes so now I don't need Mystic, Berserker and Slayer (not delivered yet), one day I'll go for Reaper and Priest.

Does SSD help much? I remember cities could be ghostzones sometimes cause the models were loading so slow, just gray people everywhere.
Main problem that made me quit was that after you close the game whole computer lags like never before when opening programs etc, I guess that could be related to RAM as I only have 4gb.

You need:

1. Every time you open the game, set the TERA.exe process priority to "Above Normal". This game is ultra CPU intensive.
2. 4GB RAM is pushing it. The game can eat 2.5GB on its own.
3. Lower certain settings on the game. Like limit to 50 characters.
4. Restart the game after every couple runs. Most people do it including me.

SSDs help with loading, but you have to understand that the limiting factor is the UI. The thing is server dependant.

Kudo

You need:

1. Every time you open the game, set the TERA.exe process priority to "Above Normal". This game is ultra CPU intensive.
2. 4GB RAM is pushing it. The game can eat 2.5GB on its own.
3. Lower certain settings on the game. Like limit to 50 characters.
4. Restart the game after every couple runs. Most people do it including me.

SSDs help with loading, but you have to understand that the limiting factor is the UI. The thing is server dependant.

Performance in-game was fine, mostly solid 60fps (i5-750 and GTX 670) outside cities but problems after quitting the game made it not so pleasant to play, can't even have chat on dual screen cause OS starts to go haywire. Probably getting new computer when Skylake CPUs come so that's when I'll definitely try TERA again, I could just get SSD and more RAM now but feels like waste to get DDR3 just for this game when Skylake is replacing it with DDR4.

Also one funny thing I noticed when playing that having a controller attached while playing completely kills the game, is this known problem? I guess it's related to the controller UI.

Love the game and urge to get back is strong.

Melchior

Hey guys so happy this is finally released on steam. Was curious what's considered the best pve dps class. I wanted to roll magic based one. I prefer ranged but don't mind going melee if it's required. Also I wouldn't mind trying out healer but only if the server needs more healers. I'm on tempest reach from my account that was made in 2013 apparently.

NeOak

Performance in-game was fine, mostly solid 60fps (i5-750 and GTX 670) outside cities but problems after quitting the game made it not so pleasant to play, can't even have chat on dual screen cause OS starts to go haywire. Probably getting new computer when Skylake CPUs come so that's when I'll definitely try TERA again, I could just get SSD and more RAM now but feels like waste to get DDR3 just for this game when Skylake is replacing it with DDR4.

Also one funny thing I noticed when playing that having a controller attached while playing completely kills the game, is this known problem? I guess it's related to the controller UI.

Love the game and urge to get back is strong.

That is weird about the chat.

Also, yes. The game doesn't like controllers if they aren't being used by it. However, you can turn off the controller detection in the options menu.

Wow. So many official screenshots, and not one fucking Male Popori?

Where's the love for the Fat Raccoons?

Elins4life!

Hey guys so happy this is finally released on steam. Was curious what's considered the best pve dps class. I wanted to roll magic based one. I prefer ranged but don't mind going melee if it's required. Also I wouldn't mind trying out healer but only if the server needs more healers. I'm on tempest reach from my account that was made in 2013 apparently.

Gunner.

Anyway. I'm in. Downloading again now. Where's GAF hiding out these days?

Most still on Tempest Reach.

Any logical reason why they restricted the Gunner class to females and 2 races only?
Money.

Kudo

Best thing about this... No more shitty download speeds for the game.

Does it use Steam for downloading the game and patches now? Also is the game US version even in EU or does it somehow detect your country?
I played on US servers from EU before and don't plan to change when I get better hardware, would be nice if I could continue there through Steam, I remember the original Launcher is pretty bad with downloading the game, errors everywhere.

NeOak

Does it use Steam for downloading the game and patches now? Also is the game US version even in EU or does it somehow detect your country?
I played on US servers from EU before and don't plan to change when I get better hardware, would be nice if I could continue there through Steam, I remember the original Launcher is pretty bad with downloading the game, errors everywhere.

They changed the launcher.

And this is for the NA version.

Muzicfreq

Banned

Dunno but what I do know is that they done fucked up adding the gunner without upping character limit per server. Now I have to play on a different server than TR
x2zU7ge.gif

Also still havent fixed the timeout bug when making a character... ugh. Starting to regret reinstalling already.

Kudo

They changed the launcher.

And this is for the NA version.

I see, would assume it works better now then, had to download the pack files directly from their site last time cause kept getting some mysterious error with their own launcher previously. This is years ago so I guess it's obvious it was fixed by now.

Think I had my characters on Mount Tyrannas, is server transfer paid or free?

Muzicfreq

Banned
Crash No.2 STILL CANNOT MAKE CHARACTER

screw it. Just rushed through and cared less.
That timer for making a character when you have all sorts of options needs to go.

NeOak

Dunno but what I do know is that they done fucked up adding the gunner without upping character limit per server. Now I have to play on a different server than TR
x2zU7ge.gif

Also still havent fixed the timeout bug when making a character... ugh. Starting to regret reinstalling already.

You can have up to 16 per server.

They give you an extra slot voucher if you log in.

Other slots up to 16 cost extra. Normal with F2Ps.

Also, what timer?

I see, would assume it works better now then, had to download the pack files directly from their site last time cause kept getting some mysterious error with their own launcher previously. This is years ago so I guess it's obvious it was fixed by now.

Think I had my characters on Mount Tyrannas, is server transfer paid or free?

Paid.

Crash No.2 STILL CANNOT MAKE CHARACTER

screw it. Just rushed through and cared less.
That timer for making a character when you have all sorts of options needs to go.

Again, What timer?

Muzicfreq

Banned
You can have up to 16 per server.

They give you an extra slot voucher if you log in.

Other slots up to 16 cost extra. Normal with F2Ps.

Also, what timer?

Paid.

Again, What timer?

The game has an unseen timer when making a character. If you take too long you'll get booted from the game with an error code, has always been this way before F2P.

As a founder I only have a total of 8 slots per server

EDIT okay I had to log in first to claim it.

Randy42

Havent played since early 2013, was thinking of starting again with the steam release but it seems like the Gunner patch basically messed up every mod including voice ones among others :/ wonder how long those will take to fix.

Sounds like most people here play on Tempest Reach?

Perhaps someone here can answer this: If I want to start playing this through Steam, do I need to redownload the whole thing? I know I can just add the launcher to my library (I think), but I don't think Steam Streaming works with games manually added.

janoDX

so I reinstalled, saw reaper was Elin only, stared at the screen for a bit, and closed it...really want to be a high elf reaper, and since I cant it killed all my motivation to play

Dude, that was known since last year.

Also, try gunner instead.
I knew that class had been around a while, but I wasnt playing so had no reason to look into it. So its now become a disappointment.

No interest in gunner, dual scythes was what had me intrigued

Muzicfreq

Banned
You can accept it on your lancer.

Oh, so you weren't reading when I explained that >.>
lol

If it was in game I probably was either fixing UI, or killing some BAMs or went afk since I am also watching my niece :p
But thanks :D

Mithos

Gunner was my type of class, works "almost" as the Sorcerer.
Just hit 20 and got the avatar weapon and +9 on it, OP OP OP ;P

Melchior

Hmm I'm trying it out and it's pretty fun. I guess I'll stick with it. Hate to admit it but I'm honestly turned off by the fact that it's so popular right now. Everyone around me is gunners. Hopefully I can get a large enough lead so I'm not in the crowd of gunners trying to level

garath

Thinking about giving this a shot on Steam. Are there any solo friendly classes or is grouping pretty much a mandatory thing?

Mithos

Thinking about giving this a shot on Steam. Are there any solo friendly classes or is grouping pretty much a mandatory thing?

People are soloing 5 man dungeons with gunners atm. (I soloed several 5 man dungeons with my Sorcerer before)

NeOak

Hmm I'm trying it out and it's pretty fun. I guess I'll stick with it. Hate to admit it but I'm honestly turned off by the fact that it's so popular right now. Everyone around me is gunners. Hopefully I can get a large enough lead so I'm not in the crowd of gunners trying to level

Same with Reaper. There was a shitton of reapers. 99% were bad in endgame. Like, awful. So if you are good at the class you're fine.

I stopped accepting most reapers when I put an LFG due to repeatedly bad experiences.

If by solo friendly you mean "solo" end game content? No.

You can solo any class up to 65, but you will need parties for the dungeons except the solo vault and a certain one.

Amneisac

Same with Reaper. There was a shitton of reapers. 99% were bad in endgame. Like, awful. So if you are good at the class you're fine.

I stopped accepting most reapers when I put an LFG due to repeatedly bad experiences.

In that case I would say he isn't fine because he will be judged by his class and not receive as many invites!

Muzicfreq

Banned
Here's My Gunner plus some old Screenshots. One of Old Velma.Dinkly before I changed her face and hair color and another of my Zerker before I changed her looks as well.... (I dunno why I changed my zerker back then. Last one is my Warrior when I was first leveling one

Jobbs

Banned
Is this game still active and healthy?

I tried it out when it first came out in NA, I stuck with it a little while but ultimately I had trouble hanging with it -- I like playing female characters in these games, and I just felt they were too overtly sexual/prostitute looking, and it just wasn't my thing. That -- And PVP seemed to be completely lacking.

Nope. Different publishers.

EME is waaaaaaaaaay better than Rapeforge

Yeah, I know.
I was just dreaming. :(
I only reached level 40 the other day to unlock the Reaper. Haven't played the game since GTA V released. How is the new class Gunner, is there another level unlock for this one as well?

Is this game still active and healthy?

I tried it out when it first came out in NA, I stuck with it a little while but ultimately I had trouble hanging with it -- I like playing female characters in these games, and I just felt they were too overtly sexual/prostitute looking, and it just wasn't my thing. That -- And PVP seemed to be completely lacking.

I'd say it's even more alive than a month after its launch.
People are everywhere, from low level zones to the major cities, I always see other players running around.
Reached level 40 as a slayer last month to unlock the new class, perhaps I'll be back later.

This kind of game will always have more female characters around. It's the game's main appeal, sexy girls in skimpy outfits.

Top Bottom