• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terra Battle 2 |OT| All Hail the Gooch

They managed, somehow, to turn an awesome SRPG into a musou game with SRPG elements.

Kudos to them for that weird "evolution".

That's a really good comparison. Terra Battle 1 fights were fun because they required strategy: thinking about what kind of skills you needed to take in, positioning to avoid attack patterns, deciding which enemies needed to be taken out first, etc. Terra Battle 2 is just getting mobbed by a gazillion enemies randomly, which takes all the strategy and thinking out. Now I enjoy a Musou game every now and then, but the 3D nature of those games is able to make them more fun than the simple grid-based combat here. It's just... I'm not sure what kind of enjoyment I'm supposed to find here. The one person who seems to really take to 2 in here, SpaceDrake, seems to enjoy it precisely because it lets you mindlessly overpower tons of enemies, which is not at all what I want here.

Kitoro

They need to get rid of the timer when moving on maps, and instead just allow the player a maximum amount of tiles to move, and let the player freely drag around those tiles until they reach the point and positioning they'd like to stop at, with a redo button in case any guardians get stuck along the way.

duckroll

They need to get rid of the timer when moving on maps, and instead just allow the player a maximum amount of tiles to move, and let the player freely drag around those tiles until they reach the point and positioning they'd like to stop at, with a redo button in case any guardians get stuck along the way.

I would also like to see them do away with penalties for hitting walls and just make them... you know... walls instead. This sort of semi-action stuff makes Terra Battle worse, not better.

Baliis

I would also like to see them do away with penalties for hitting walls and just make them... you know... walls instead. This sort of semi-action stuff makes Terra Battle worse, not better.

What, were kinetic traps not your favorite part of TB1?

Finished chapter 3 and it's okay so far. I like the presentation so far, but the world map stuff is a bit janky and the battles are in interesting so far, but then so were most battles in TB1 if you had units that could aoe everything down. Haven't tried any of the quests outside metal zone yet so can't say how they compare, but I feel like there's some cool possibilities for events like the last story or vengeful heart to present it much better than just a text box in between battles. Would still like to see the battles for stuff like that be pre constructed though.

Not sure yet on the guardian/equipment system, but it seems interesting? I just dislike not knowing at a glance what each character can do.

Heng

Any idea on the rewards of the Leviathan battle? Some Japanese sites mention getting him as a guardians, or some rare pieces of equipment, but nothing concrete.
I got some equipment from it, haven't gotten him to drop (if he even drops). Maybe hard mode has a high chance to drop better gear.

Pejo

You do know that chapter 3 is
great place to grind levels coins and random items. Thanks to those healing spots and infinite spawning enemies. I was clearing it all the time and getting some xp. Hey its free grind at the moment, no stamina needed for unit & eq leveling.

Iam playing without sounds, I should test sounds tho :).

I legit had no idea
there were healing spots...is it the water?

Also, how are all these people running characters with 120+ atk or mag? Is it just leveling up and leveling up weapons or is there a subsystem I'm missing. My best character with a Z class guardian and the best MAG gear I have is only at 54 MAG, and it's a level 70ish Z class.

So I guess if they made the sequel just for people who didn't like the original game for some reason, maybe they succeeded? I haven't seen a single person who loved Terra Battle having the viewpoint that the game improved on anything at all. So it's a problem if they are interested in catering to the fans who actually supported them and paid to keep the franchise alive until now. If they're not interested in that, maybe they shouldn't have called it Terra Battle 2.

Something something, Final Fantasy IV and V appeal to very different people too and you could've made this same argument back in 1992

Also, how are all these people running characters with 120+ atk or mag? Is it just leveling up and leveling up weapons or is there a subsystem I'm missing. My best character with a Z class guardian and the best MAG gear I have is only at 54 MAG, and it's a level 70ish Z class.

This is what I'm talking about for leveling gear - hop into the Metal Zone and make sure as many people as possible are on the chains. Your gear will gain tons of resonance and if you have A or S+ gear, your stats will fly. I'm rocking a character with 139 ATK and 76 MATK (both help when using Samatha), and that still has like 20 or so levels to go, at least. Remember: Guardians only affect skills, not stats. It's more like Persona than anything.

(Though remember,
doing this before chapter 3 might not be the best use of your time.
)

Rixa

Any idea on the rewards of the Leviathan battle? Some Japanese sites mention getting him as a guardians, or some rare pieces of equipment, but nothing concrete.

Iam spoilering Easy Leviathan rewards if someone wants to find them out.

Screenshot_20170922-192451.png
Screenshot_20170922-192502.png

Screenshot_20170922-195445.png
Screenshot_20170922-195450.png

I know where I will use my extra stamina.

5 Yellows get Z from 1 to 68 level
3 Yellows get Z from 69 to 83.

Something something, Final Fantasy IV and V appeal to very different people too and you could've made this same argument back in 1992

This is what I'm talking about for leveling gear - hop into the Metal Zone and make sure as many people as possible are on the chains. Your gear will gain tons of resonance and if you have A or S+ gear, your stats will fly. I'm rocking a character with 139 ATK and 76 MATK (both help when using Samatha), and that still has like 20 or so levels to go, at least. Remember: Guardians only affect skills, not stats. It's more like Persona than anything.

(Though remember,
)

It seems that the levels between guardians learning skills are completely useless. Is my interpretation correct?

It seems that the levels between guardians learning skills are completely useless. Is my interpretation correct?

Prrrrrretty much - if there's another criticism to level at TB2, it's that there are empty levels in cases, and that can feel pretty grody. Lower-rarity weapons and armor can have weak or empty levels, too, though it seems like S or higher will always get some good amount of stats out of a level.

That said, the levels just fly by once you actually get down to some metal zone hunting, and all the Guardians I've seen so far max out their skill-sets well before 99. Hitting 99 is more about unlocking recodes for them, which allow them to change up their skills (and for lower-rarity guardians, get skills in all six slots).

That's a really good comparison. Terra Battle 1 fights were fun because they required strategy: thinking about what kind of skills you needed to take in, positioning to avoid attack patterns, deciding which enemies needed to be taken out first, etc. Terra Battle 2 is just getting mobbed by a gazillion enemies randomly, which takes all the strategy and thinking out. Now I enjoy a Musou game every now and then, but the 3D nature of those games is able to make them more fun than the simple grid-based combat here. It's just... I'm not sure what kind of enjoyment I'm supposed to find here. The one person who seems to really take to 2 in here, SpaceDrake, seems to enjoy it precisely because it lets you mindlessly overpower tons of enemies, which is not at all what I want here.

Well, stealth digs aside
emot-v.gif
, I don't find it mindless; you still need to take your positioning into account (due to your AoE distributions), you need to decide if you want to focus on guys moving next turn vs. overall number of dudes (or focus on, say, empowered enemies like the ones you find in chapter 2), you need to make sure your own team is in position to get everything off, and for fighting bigger/tougher stuff you do need to keep enemy retaliation in mind, too.

It requires different strategic thinking than TB1 did, and I think that's just weirding people out.

Though FWIW, I really recommend people try the Leviathan maps once you have some gear and stuff at level 15 or so. It should be more up the alley of TB1 players (all enemies are immovable, you need to think about your positioning more than the foe's, etc.)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I do agree they need to tone down the musou elements but i like the dungeon crawling and fiddling around with gear and skills.

Kitoro

So I'm trying to decide between an account with (both including Samatha) 4 SS Guardians (2x Spear, 2x Sword/Staff) and 1x SS Weapon, or an account with 3 SS Guardians (1x Spear, 2x Dual Swords), 1x SS Weapon, 1x SS Accessory, 1x SS Chest.

I'm leaning towards the first account for the extra SS guardian, and the fact that they're not all melee only, but a full SS gear set on the other is pretty nice, too.

Of course, my third re-roll yielded a Z Bahamut Threads, and not a single other item above S, so that's out.

So I'm trying to decide between an account with (both including Samatha) 4 SS Guardians (2x Spear, 2x Sword/Staff) and 1x SS Weapon, or an account with 3 SS Guardians (1x Spear, 2x Dual Swords), 1x SS Weapon, 1x SS Accessory, 1x SS Chest.

I'm leaning towards the first account for the extra SS guardian, and the fact that they're not all melee only, but a full SS gear set on the other is pretty nice, too.

Second second second. If you recode even A or B level Guardians, they'll still get full skillsets, but SS level gear is comically better than a lot of other gear right now. If there's a power jump from the gacha, it's that. A weapon (though what kind), accessory and chest is probably going to turn a character into a god in these early days. My
Kukurakan
has just an SS helmet, and it already helps him a lot.

If I'm curious about anything, it'll be about how gear progression is handled in the medium and long term. If someone just gets screwed out of S or higher gear from the gacha, well, that'll suck and if there's no way to catch up from things like Rare Guardian events or whatnot...

On my seventh reroll, already pulled a Z guardian and Z weapon at the same time but didn't really care either of them. Hopefully I'll be satisfied with something soon, I'd like to make some progress and see if things pick up in later missions.

Quick question though, is it a safe bet to put all those high tier Mightys into whatever Z or SS I decide to start with? Will I get more opportunities to pull more guardians soon into the game or are these 2 pulls what I should focus on for quite a while?

meow

Of course, my third re-roll yielded a Z Bahamut Threads, and not a single other item above S, so that's out.

How do you go back to an account after rerolling? I've been casually rerolling and finally got 20 pulls that gave me 2 SS guardians (and 3 S), which is better that what I've been getting. But I was still thinking of rerolling it, since I only got one SS equipment (body). But somehow 4 sun blades. 4/20 pulls being the same item is kinda annoying.

FWIW, I really recommend people try the Leviathan maps once you have some gear and stuff at level 15 or so. It should be more up the alley of TB1 players (all enemies are immovable, you need to think about your positioning more than the foe's, etc.)
Just speculation, but maybe it's designed that everyone can easily get through the story, but the event quests are where they force you to seriously strategize. I remember TB1's battles against Odin and Leviathan being really exciting affairs, where with Odin you had to plan your routes (to avoid his bombs) as well as his attack rotation (horizontal, then vertical, then all cardinal directions). And with Leviathan and the other 2 dragons you had to make sure to give yourself elemental immunity with capsules when they were about to unleash their screen-wide attacks. Hoping to come across more of that in the future.

I think the weapon triangle is sorely missed. Previously you had to consider which directions the enemies could attack, and a quick glance at their weapon could usually be enough. In TB2 it's usually unnecessary because everything dies so fast, and it's inconvenient to constantly pull up the monster information. Admittedly it's just the first week of the game.

I really hate being forced to bring along a friend in battles though. The game's difficulty becomes busted if you can just let someone carry you to victory.

Kitoro

How do you go back to an account after rerolling? I've been casually rerolling and finally got 20 pulls that gave me 2 SS guardians (and 4 S), which is better that what I've been getting. But I was still thinking of rerolling it, since I only got one SS equipment (body). But somehow 4 sun blades. 4/20 pulls being the same item is kinda annoying.

Oh, I've just been re-rolling on two separate phones.

Wow after rolling 2 Zs in the same acoount and playing through chapter 3 and the raid event this game seems really boring and unfair; I leveled my guys to 60 each and even then had to use 5 phoenix orbs to beat chapter 3 because of the shitty spike traps and the gameplay seems completely unfun. Am I missing something?

Pejo

(Though remember,
)

Thanks for the tips. What are the differences between the ticket metal zone and the stamina metal zone, btw?

gaiadyne

I also have the Z Bahamut Threads and for something that is supposed to be even rarer than Z Guardians, it feels pretty useless compared to Z Weapons and Z Guardians. It doesn't give you any special abilities or extend your range and it raises your magic defense instead of your physical defense, so it still can leave you pretty unprotected. It looks cool but that's pretty much it. Maybe it would be better if I raised it's level more but I'm pretty disappointed by it.

Thanks for the tips. What are the differences between the ticket metal zone and the stamina metal zone, btw?

Ticket metal zone is a ticket straight to the hard version. It's great once you have some levels yourself, but if you go in there when you're brand new or haven't leveled much, you'll just waste the ticket.

Start in stamina easy, then once that gets too easy, upgrade to normal, etc.

No europe version? Cant find this on store

Europe is apparently coming. Stay tuned. Though you can download the APK for Android and play just fine right now.

Wow after rolling 2 Zs in the same acoount and playing through chapter 3 and the raid event this game seems really boring and unfair; I leveled my guys to 60 each and even then had to use 5 phoenix orbs to beat chapter 3 because of the shitty spike traps and the gameplay seems completely unfun. Am I missing something?

Once again, Guardians don't affect your stats - the gear you have equipped determines your HP and attack/defense stats. If you're getting hammered in chapter 3, hop out to the home screen and go level in the Metal Zone a bit. You'll be able to continue in the chapter map with the leveled-up gear for extra stats.

Also FWIW I'm having a blast with the raid, especially learning the patterns of the boss (and inevitably seeing people explode when they underestimate the aura.
emot-v.gif

How far does one have to progress in the story to unlock all 5 character slots?

Currently the fifth slot is unused. Sarah's entire party is wiped out and Kukurakan/Nene only have four people right now. Presumably Team Ku will pick up a fifth member in future chapters.

The other two characters are for your friend unit; you can edit them from the friend menu or by selecting party 7. Two of them are provided for the purpose of appearance preference.

Baliis

Europe is apparently coming. Stay tuned. Though you can download the APK for Android and play just fine right now.

Once again, Guardians don't affect your stats - the gear you have equipped determines your HP and attack/defense stats. If you're getting hammered in chapter 3, hop out to the home screen and go level in the Metal Zone a bit. You'll be able to continue in the chapter map with the leveled-up gear for extra stats.

Also FWIW I'm having a blast with the raid, especially learning the patterns of the boss (and inevitably seeing people explode when they underestimate the aura.
emot-v.gif

The co-op thing is a little janky though like everyone will be moving then kinda settle down as time runs out, then suddenly everyone snaps to different positions and half the pincers that were set up are gone. Had one pincer though that was a like 55 combo and took like a quarter of its health, not bad lol

Vena

Much as I may be complaining, I still enjoy the core combat. The issues that surround it in map design are my biggest beef, the story is not fun right now.

I am having the most fun in the old TB1-like content.

Haly

It always traps on its turn so I move my units away at 1.

The co-op thing is a little janky though like everyone will be moving then kinda settle down as time runs out, then suddenly everyone snaps to different positions and half the pincers that were set up are gone. Had one pincer though that was a like 55 combo and took like a quarter of its health, not bad lol

The problem with co-op is that despite allowing you to place yourself on a square another is occupying, you cannot have several people truly in a square; so they'll knock themselves back. I think on some level, in public groups you may want to assume others will try to line up the actual shots, and just make sure you're in position to contribute on line chains.

Apparently Leviathan does drop, he just doesn't show up in the loot table after the match is over:

I just tried him on normal myself. Easy was, well, easy, but normal Levi does not fuck around. If you wonder where the stats help, well...

Good to see he has such a full skillset even at A, though. Heck, that looks pretty good and I may have to try getting him now...

I assume he can't be recoded?

Heng

I just tried him on normal myself. Easy was, well, easy, but normal Levi does not fuck around. If you wonder where the stats help, well...

Good to see he has such a full skillset even at A, though. Heck, that looks pretty good and I may have to try getting him now...

I assume he can't be recoded?
The recode button is greyed out, although it could be due to being low level. Normal isn't that bad either if you know the strat.
You can't allow those worms to increase tide in the first 4 rounds, they should take priority since the other guys don't hurt. If you're struggling on the waves before the boss,
you might have to level up some more.

I replayed Chapter 3 multiple times. The first replay got me 2 energy for completing it. The second replay got me 2000 bucks. The third replay got me nothing. I wonder if the reward is random.

I have this unit / player on my friendlist...

Some Zzzz

whale noises

well, that's at least a picture of what a current high-end character looks like, at least.

that gravity-based Z Guardian can be really strong, partially because right now we aren't fighting much that resists Gravity. I haven't used that one but I've used others.

Haly

I have to use Nene's default skill set cause no healer.

Feels bad man.

On one hand I kind of want Guardian levels to be more meaningful than skill ups every... what, 30 levels? On the other hand I like the flexibility this gives us in terms of builds.

I would've preferred it if the situations were reversed, and you could only equip one item but many guardians because.... items aren't waifu.

chrono01

One minor thing that bothers me probably more than it should, is that after you lock your Guardians (to protect against them being sold/fused away), the lock icon covers up the type icon that shows what that particular Guardian is, so you can't see at a glance who's a melee, mage, etc., without actively clicking on them and looking at their stats panel.

Nikokuno

It's me or leveling is super quick/easy?

Also don't forget to post your thoughts on the game, UI, bug, exploit, what bother you etc on the official FB/Twitter of TB 2.

Alucrid

Banned
in the original terra battle could you move enemies by passing through them? i remember being able to move a character to the left of an enemy to the top of an enemy by moving a character from the top, then doing a qcb motion to move them up.

in the original terra battle could you move enemies by passing through them? i remember being able to move a character to the left of an enemy to the top of an enemy by moving a character from the top, then doing a qcb motion to move them up.
New "feature".
Stealth for everyone ! (TB1 skill)

They probably changed it because of the way mobs tend to gang up on you, and how magnet system sticks your heroes in a tight bunch.

A.J.

Banned
Yeah, I uninstalled this. My characters kept getting separated when moving and I couldn't take it anymore.

Visceir

I think the people comparing early stages TB2 to later stages TB1 are being a bit unfair. I'd like to think and hope the maps will also become more elaborate as we get to later chapters and stages.

From what I can remember the early stages of TB1, other than boss fights, were also pretty much just u mowing through waves of enemies. I'd like to think that rather than padding the game out with puzzle stages like that they went for the larger world aspect, I don't mind the waves of enemies and being able to move around enemies to be the meat and potatoes of the game so long we still get scripted puzzle boss fights and challenges like the leviathan one. I find it to be a good balance.

Dunno how hard it would have been but it would have been interesting if they could have implemented static puzzle elements into battles here and there in the form of treasure chests or something. So that you could still do those optional puzzle missions if you desired to which weren't completely randomized.

There was this one emergency maint after which the game ran much smoother. I really hope the sluggish feel is mainly just early stage server issues and that those get ironed out.

One tip I'd have for people who struggle with keeping their units together -- there's a skill that you can use before fight to summon all your party members into the battle zone. It's a quick and simple way to get your party back together.

Baliis

For characters like Samatha, do we know if they scale off attack or mattack? Trying to figure out what equipment to give her and the SS guy I got that's the same type.

Falk

that puzzling face
The story of the first one was a hot mess that went completely bonkers from what I can remember. It's best to cut all ties to that.

terra battle story summary:

band of adventurers go deeper and deeper into a tunnel straight down to the center of the planet or something, passing by nonstop area after area where the denizens go "heheheh, you won't escape this time, hehehehe" and then proceed to escape from said area, and then after this happens like 30 times they find a spaceship. The end.

Oh and I think there was a princess or some shit.

edit: Downloading this, will give it a strong shot. I appreciate Terra Battle 1 for what it is (and all humor aside I enjoyed the story, if not the English localization) but it really wasn't an engaging GaaS.

terra battle story summary:

band of adventurers go deeper and deeper into a tunnel straight down to the center of the planet or something, passing by area after area where the denizens go "heheheh, you won't escape this time, hehehehe" and then proceed to escape from said area, and then they find a spaceship. The end.

Oh and I think there was a princess or some shit.

And the planet is the spaceship. Or the planet turns into a spaceship? Or the planet is inside the spaceship? Hard to tell.

Baliis

And the planet is the spaceship. Or the planet turns into a spaceship? Or the planet is inside the spaceship? Hard to tell.

And then there's actually a bunch of planets, and then like a flash back for some reason, or we time traveled, I was never quite sure. Then there's a bunch of fairies for some reason and Shin'en appears for like, one fight then fucks off to be a boss, then you go to more planets then it just sorta ends mid story. Also the spaceship is crying for some reason.

The story is actually reasonably followable right until you take off into space, then completely falls off the rails.

Also, my one new complaint is that sometimes it will just stop registering that I'm dragging and end my move, really annoying in metal zones. Never had that happen in TB1

chrono01

The moment you learn that your Frendon is different from your Party/Slot 1 character that you equip separately from everything. It's nice to set her up with all of my most powerful equipment (S-Rank being the highest :/), without the restrictions that come with character limitations in the normal party setup.

Haly

Leviathan easy is really easy but leviathan normal is wtf hard. Can't beat him, no dedicated healer on my lineup.

Top Bottom