• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure |OT| Under a Mean Overseer Memorandum Directive

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Never cared for the series, but the GiantBomb quicklook made it look amazing. The best kind of cheese.

Tizoc

Just started Day 3 but had to leave for work. Enjoyed talking to all the characters and I loved
using an Anvil in order to get inside the other PI's office. That part cracked me up

One thing though: When I'm talking with NPCs I can choose one of 3 options but their description is vague to me on how Tex will respond.
ATM I'm 2/5 in my PI rating when I pause the game btw.

epmode

One thing though: When I'm talking with NPCs I can choose one of 3 options but their description is vague to me on how Tex will respond.

The games have always done this but I'm having a LOT of trouble this time around. Tex's response often takes me by complete surprise and winds up sounding like an asshole when I meant the opposite. The hints need to be a little more obvious.

Does that mean every backer will receive two keys (Steam + GOG)? I hope that's not the case because I want this game to sell enough to fund a sequel!

astonish

Got a chance to play a couple hours. So far I'm absolutely loving it and probably couldn't ask for a better revival. When I played the demo I was a tiny bit disappointed by the 3D quality, but at the same time it was a tiny team with a tiny budget and I'd rather they make a bigger game than focus on making things pretty. However, now that I'm playing the full thing the quality almost reminds me of an old tex game.

Once i started having conversations with locals it just totally reeled me in. There just aren't games like this anymore and they really nailed it. It was kinda strange and delightful to see all the video in such crisp high-def.

Can't wait to play more. Already hoping we get at least one more Tex game.

Also props to SnowTeeth for the Nvidia Inspector settings. I'm running 4xAA @ 1080p 120hz and its butter smooth and jaggy-free.

Got a chance to play a couple hours. So far I'm absolutely loving it and probably couldn't ask for a better revival. When I played the demo I was a tiny bit disappointed by the 3D quality, but at the same time it was a tiny team with a tiny budget and I'd rather they make a bigger game than focus on making things pretty. However, now that I'm playing the full thing the quality almost reminds me of an old tex game.

Once i started having conversations with locals it just totally reeled me in. There just aren't games like this anymore and they really nailed it. It was kinda strange and delightful to see all the video in such crisp high-def.

Can't wait to play more. Already hoping we get at least one more Tex game.

Also props to SnowTeeth for the Nvidia Inspector settings. I'm running 4xAA @ 1080p 120hz and its butter smooth and jaggy-free.

I know the actual asset quality isn't the best but considering where they left off in terms of 3d traversal of environments they totslly exceeded my expectations. It doesn't look bad at all, nice atmosphere while still feeling like a Tex game that takes place on Chandler Ave and beyond.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I totally forgot, is it worth jumping in despite never having played the old games? It seems to rely a lot on nostalgia.

Talyn

Does that mean every backer will receive two keys (Steam + GOG)? I hope that's not the case because I want this game to sell enough to fund a sequel!
Yes, that's exactly what it means. I've already gotten my email with the GOG key in addition to the Steam key on launch day. I've used both keys and now have the game available on both services. It's certainly not a lost sale in my case as I wouldn't have bought the game again just to have it on both. Backers supported this game, we want it to do well, why on earth would we jeopardize that by "flooding the market" with extra keys? Will some backers go against the spirit of BFG's wishes and give one of their keys away? Yeah probably, but in terms of hurting sales you might as well worry more about piracy if you wanna go down that road. BFG made the decision to go DRM-free, giving out the GOG keys was also the right thing to do and I'm glad they've gotten it all sorted out. Treat your customers with respect and they'll treat you likewise. That's the GOG way.

Just finished. Really enjoyed jumping back into the world of Tex Murphy. While the environments left a little to be desired,
especially the later Tesla areas
, the production values on the video segments were top notch. For me it finally shows the promise of kickstarter. I don't see a game like this being made these days without some sort of crowd sourced funding. I hope it is successful enough to justify another production.

Tizoc

This is patently false. We didn't get involved with Big Finish until almost a year after the Kickstarter concluded.

If you don't mind me asking, any chance this game can be released on PS3/PS4 or Vita? Cuz I'll gladly double dip on this thing.

Card Boy

Banned
Looks like this is out of the top 100 sellers list on Steam. I don't know what to make of that (if anything at all).

It was never in the top 100 on Steam as far as i know. Game is too niche for people and all the kids of today never played the old Tex games which last came out 16 years ago.

Meanwhile a broken piece of shit like Day Z is a consistent top seller with no hope in sight of ever getting fixed soon.

Doesn't help that I don't think i've seen too many reviews for it yet, given how new it is. Only people who seem to know about it are the backers and such. I only see three metacritic reviews for it so far, all in the 70 range.

I think it will do well in the steam sales and such for the nostalgia factor. Just hoping it makes enough over all to fund another game after this one.

Talyn

It also isn't helping that TotalBiscuit was going to do a WTF is... first impressions Youtube video of it, encountered some sort of pre-release loading bug in the process and then apparently put it aside to go argue with Nintendo fanboys over sales figures or some damn thing.

Card Boy

Banned
I just hope it does well enough to warrant another game. Chris was saying they had like 3 Tex Murphy stories they where planning on doing and Telsa Effect has 2 of them. I guess we always got that new radio show to look forward to.

Doesn't help that I don't think i've seen too many reviews for it yet, given how new it is. Only people who seem to know about it are the backers and such. I only see three metacritic reviews for it so far, all in the 70 range.

I think it will do well in the steam sales and such for the nostalgia factor. Just hoping it makes enough over all to fund another game after this one.

Bad reviewers are bad.

Though this might be a case of the style of the game being completely my thing.

inm8num2

It was never in the top 100 on Steam as far as i know. Game is too niche for people and all the kids of today never played the old Tex games which last came out 16 years ago.

Meanwhile a broken piece of shit like Day Z is a consistent top seller with no hope in sight of ever getting fixed soon.

I thought it was in the top 100 ever so briefly right around the launch. I guess I was mistaken.

Yea, the only major review I've seen is the IGN one, and it simply wasn't a well-written review regardless of the final assessment.

Just found this review from Destructoid as well - 6.5/10.

It also isn't helping that TotalBiscuit was going to do a WTF is... first impressions Youtube video of it, encountered some sort of pre-release loading bug in the process and then apparently put it aside to go argue with Nintendo fanboys over sales figures or some damn thing.

Damn, yea that would have helped with the exposure.

Even though I'm truly sad to see Tex out of the top 100, I can't let you say that. DayZ certainly is in an early alpha state, but it's really far from being shit... In fact it can be pretty much fantastic, and it offers a really different experience (that everybody tries to copy now), based on human nature more than anything else.

To come back to Tex, the more I play, the more I like it. But for sure, it's a game from the 90s, and I fear the sales will be pretty low :(

Xater

Just started playing this and I am really enjoying it. Got it because I liked the demo, I haven't even played the old games so I am definitely not liking it because if nostalgia. Guess these devs have their job done the right way.

The only thing I don't like is how you have to combine items. Why can't I just drag one items over another like in other games? A bit of a clumsy solution.

It was in the top 100 (somewhere between 20 and 40 at best) for some time. Problem was that Steam had some error shortly after launch which made the game disappear from the Steam new releases and the top seller list. When it reappeared in the listings about a day later it was still in the top 100.

fade_

The games have always done this but I'm having a LOT of trouble this time around. Tex's response often takes me by complete surprise and winds up sounding like an asshole when I meant the opposite. The hints need to be a little more obvious.

Doesn't that describe Tex perfectly though lol.

inm8num2

Other reviews I've found (some might have already been posted).

Geek Citadel - 4/5

Leviathyn - 9/10

Lez Get Real - 7/10

That Guy with the Glasses - gives a solid recommendation

These days timing reviews with the launch of a game is almost too critical. If people don't know a game is released from seeing positive reviews, it's difficult to reach those audiences outside the "hardcore" fans. Then you have to do a sale (or further down the road, a bundle) to catch some fleeting attention.

The age of digital gaming, I suppose.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Not really a fan of the dialogue system, it's too vague for me. I guess it's part of the design, but I also would've rather been able to go through all the choices just to see them.

Holy crap, I wasn’t sure about this whole mystery… until I got to Day 6. Everything is starting to fall into place and I am totally onboard with the intrigue now.

Also, the writers (or should I say Aaron) have made it really hard to stay true to Chelsea. Temptation at every corner, I love it haha.

Tizoc

Someone should make a Tesla Effect Reviews thread, usually they can garner interest from those on the bench about games.

For now I need a little help
I need to enter Marge Leonard's Apartment, where can I find the key to her room? I got the book from Rook and figured the numbers/passcode

sueil

Someone should make a Tesla Effect Reviews thread, usually they can garner interest from those on the bench about games.

For now I need a little help
I need to enter Marge Leonard's Apartment, where can I find the key to her room? I got the book from Rook and figured the numbers/passcode

It's been a while since I got past that but wasn't the book supposed to pop out a key card?

Also does anyone know if how well you investigate / use hints etc... changes the ending your get or does only your choices do that? Is relying on hints sending me towards a shitty ending?

Aaron

Look at the window seal next to the bed?
Yep. Got that one, the coffee pot, the cushions, the coffee table, the baseball cap... and others. There's too damned many for this item hunt. I spent way too long finding 7 and 8. I'm sick of wandering around this place rubbing the mouse on every possible surface.

sueil

Yeah that puzzle was kinda shitty. I spent a long time looking for my last card because I missed the cushion one. Just finished the game and it was pretty fantastic except I really didn't dig day 8 and 9
giant spider enemies and bee's and etc.. fuck that level so hard

From the BFG forums:

vWlpLnO.jpg

Talyn

Yeah I saw that over there when it was first posted. I found it just as patronizing then as I do now. Shockingly, most backers aren't complete idiots. We already understand that point without some user making an image informing us of it. I swear some people are so worried about these keys it's ridiculous. You might as well complain about Youtubers making Let's Plays of the game too. Those actually can impact sales. I remember watching a LP of Outlast around Halloween and afterwards I had no desire whatsoever to buy the game. What would be the point of me playing it after I already saw the entire thing on Youtube? That's an even bigger problem with FMV games. (Having said that I'm also not saying people shouldn't be free to make LPs either.)

Tizoc

It's been a while since I got past that but wasn't the book supposed to pop out a key card?

Also does anyone know if how well you investigate / use hints etc... changes the ending your get or does only your choices do that? Is relying on hints sending me towards a shitty ending?

Oh so the
book was the puzzle! I thought I had to guess the numbers, memorize them and use it to open something else XD

Yeah I saw that over there when it was first posted. I found it just as patronizing then as I do now. Shockingly, most backers aren't complete idiots. We already understand that point without some user making an image informing us of it. I swear some people are so worried about these keys it's ridiculous. You might as well complain about Youtubers making Let's Plays of the game too. Those actually can impact sales. I remember watching a LP of Outlast around Halloween and afterwards I had no desire whatsoever to buy the game. What would be the point of me playing it after I already saw the entire thing on Youtube? That's an even bigger problem with FMV games. (Having said that I'm also not saying people shouldn't be free to make LPs either.)

There are 7000 backers out there, I guarantee you that some will give out their extra key. And if that image can convince even one of them to keep theirs, it will not have been a waste of time. No reason to feel insulted if you didn't plan on giving out your extra key, that image is not addressed to you.

Tizoc

Need help again please
I need to enter the Sensen buiding but I don't know how to break the code. I decided to use the ingame Hint and it metions picking up a fax then meeting an informant at Coit Tower but I can't get either of these. When I went to Tex's office Ipicked up a fax from Archie and no other fax is popping up.

Tizoc

You must first solve the rotating rock puzzle.

just match the symbols that you see from the front.

Is that how I can enter the Sensen building? But I can rotate all the blocks how'll I know which ones are correct? Or does only 1 pillar have moveable blocks?

Tizoc

OK thanks guys. Ugh finding items in this game is a pain in the ass especially when they're so meshed into the background that you need to use the Flashlight to find them =_=

EDIT: Where can I find the Hook?

Oh. My. God.

The track they play over the list of backers during the credits...
I always had a very soft spot for the musical cue of the Day X title cards in Under a Killing Moon, so finally (and unexpectedly) hearing a complete version of that 20 years later was pure, unadulterated joy.

And it sounds so authentic that I can't even tell if it's something they unearthed from existing archives, or if it was made for the purpose of this new game.

Shame it doesn't seem to be on the game's soundtrack...

Top Bottom