• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure |OT| Under a Mean Overseer Memorandum Directive

protonion

Oh. My. God.

The track they play over the list of backers during the credits...
I always had a very soft spot for the musical cue of the Day X title cards in Under a Killing Moon, so finally (and unexpectedly) hearing a complete version of that 20 years later was pure, unadulterated joy.

I didn't see my name :(

protonion

OK thanks guys. Ugh finding items in this game is a pain in the ass especially when they're so meshed into the background that you need to use the Flashlight to find them =_=

EDIT: Where can I find the Hook?

In the room with the statues near the entrance.

How much did you pledge? According to the kickstarter page, $100 or above provided a name in the credits.

Oh. Damn...

Xater

Finished this today and really enjoyed it. Are the original games more archaic when comes to the mechanics? I could play more games with Tex after this first very good impression.

Does anyone know a way to go back to the swamp house to get the Mike & Ike comic I missed there? All locations are greyed out when I click on my speeder or use the warp menu.

If not, does anyone have a late save with all the comics by any chance?

Tizoc

I need help with the puzzle
at the end of the Sesen Trials. It' the one with the 6 statues and light reflecting off of them. Wht am I supposed to do here? Is Red= Sun, Earth= Yeloow and Sea= Blue?

Xater

I need help with the puzzle
at the end of the Sesen Trials. It' the one with the 6 statues and light reflecting off of them. Wht am I supposed to do here? Is Red= Sun, Earth= Yeloow and Sea= Blue?

Maybe take a look at the altar.

protonion

Finished this today and really enjoyed it. Are the original games more archaic when comes to the mechanics? I could play more games with Tex after this first very good impression.

You'll have to get used to the controls. You'll feel right at home after this.

Try Overseer next. It is the most connected to Tesla and has a phenomenal endgame.

Tizoc

Uh oh seems I hit a bug, I've solved the puzzle by following the instructions but the game does nothing. Hope this gets patched.
EDIT: Heh reloaded a past save and did everything and managed to beat the puzzle and progress. Funny how short that part is when you skip cutscenes and know how to solve the puzzles :V

EDIT2: ...aaaaaaaaaaand now I gotta
do a stealth section ugh...

Xater

Uh oh seems I hit a bug, I've solved the puzzle by following the instructions but the game does nothing. Hope this gets patched.
EDIT: Heh reloaded a past save and did everything and managed to beat the puzzle and progress. Funny how short that part is when you skip cutscenes and know how to solve the puzzles :V

EDIT2: ...aaaaaaaaaaand now I gotta
do a stealth section ugh...

Yeah that wasn't my favorite thing either. I mean it's not hard but felt unnecessary for the kind of game this is.

Card Boy

Banned
Just beat it and i got the worst ending lol, unfortunately for me there are no Youtube endings yet so i can view the other stuff. . Fantastic game. The games weakest point unfortunately is the graphics and technical aspects, and i do understand they had like 13 staff members. The FMV production values are top notch and the are the best yet in the Tex Murphy series.

My problems with the game are purely technical, for example;

• Going up and down ladders looks crap
  • Graphics (in particular modeling of items and static objects)
  • Non-rebindable keys
  • No pad support
  • No AA
  • No NPCs in the world like previous games unless its FMV (e.g Zack, Chelsea, Nilo and Clint where around in investigation mode)
  • Enemies looked like crap
  • No crouch
Actors where great and Mojo was fucken hilarious. Although she was hot i didn't like Holly Graham. Also Smart Alex is the best side kick and i wish he had more dialogue.

Overall its one of the best Tex Murphy games just behind Pandora Directive. Despite the technical issues i would give it a 5 out of 5.

OK so I'm in Day 7 and...
where the heck did Taylor come from? Was she stalking me?

Yeah that was weird.

The other weird thing is that
after I refused Ariel's advances, Tex told Ariel something along the lines of "you should leave now". Yet they're at her house, or at least a house that is definitely not Tex's.

Tizoc

Sigh, a little help in Day 7 please
What arethe locations of the 5 planks? I only managed to find 4

So TotalBiscuit finally did get around to posting his WTF is... Telsa Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure? video. I've not watched it yet because...GOG sale, but any press is good press, right?

Edit: Just finished watching it. Overall he was more positive than I anticipated which was nice to see.

He pretty much took the correct stance: ie.: "Look we all know this game isn't perfect by any means but it's really good that something like this can exist in 2014 and it's a perfect nostalgia trip"

Sigh, a little help in Day 7 please
What arethe locations of the 5 planks? I only managed to find 4

There's one in the river, the others are near trees, and there's the one I spent the longest hunting for: just walk from the broken ladder back to the speeder going left from the shed, it's somewhere on the ground there.

Vlodril

I asked before but ill ask again since noone replied. Is there any way to zoom in , in the game? Am i the only only one having trouble with some of the puzzles when it zooms you out? I am at the sensen labyrinth type puzzle and i cant see anything from that far away. I need to cancel so it will auto zoom in and then go out again when it puts me in the puzzle.

I know i am getting old but i checked my eyes out just a few months ago :p

If someone can provide a save game for the secret
Day 13
, that would be great as I'm not ready to go through the whole game again to get all comics. I only missed one on my playthrough :(

Tizoc

OK thanks for the tip, I am now in Day 8 and...
I hate having to avoid all these hazards and getting game overs
...how many chapters are left?

I asked before but ill ask again since noone replied. Is there any way to zoom in , in the game? Am i the only only one having trouble with some of the puzzles when it zooms you out? I am at the sensen labyrinth type puzzle and i cant see anything from that far away. I need to cancel so it will auto zoom in and then go out again when it puts me in the puzzle.

I know i am getting old but i checked my eyes out just a few months ago :p

I don't think there's a way to zoom in...

OK thanks for the tip, I am now in Day 8 and...
I hate having to avoid all these hazards and getting game overs
...how many chapters are left?

There are
12 Days
but once you get out of
the Tesla society building
, it's easy peasy.

ReBurn

Gold Member
How did I miss this? I've been a fan of Tex since Mean Streets and digitized sound through the PC speaker!

Stet

Banned
Love it so far. So nostalgic. I'm kind of stuck on Day 3 though. I'm on the roof of Rusty's
and I need to use the zip line. I have the broken zip line truck but I need a wheel.
I'm positive I'm missing something super simple and obvious.

Card Boy

Banned
Love it so far. So nostalgic. I'm kind of stuck on Day 3 though. I'm on the roof of Rusty's
and I need to use the zip line. I have the broken zip line truck but I need a wheel.
I'm positive I'm missing something super simple and obvious.

It wheel should be at near where you found the zip line at the back of Rooks Pawn shop. Use your flashlight if you can see it.

Could be wrong, i might of forgotten.

The game really got worse as it went on. Puzzles without context, horrible stealth sections, annoying enemies. Was really into it for about half the game, but was glad it was over.

Coop

The game really got worse as it went on. Puzzles without context, horrible stealth sections, annoying enemies. Was really into it for about half the game, but was glad it was over.

Yeah I have to agree. The last section took me a couple if days to beat because I lost interest. Too big and too boring.

The ending was underwhelming too. How many are there all together ?

astonish

Finished this up over the weekend. Overall I'm really happy with how it turned out. I wish I would have backed it more than I did. I think I was cynical about either how good a game they would be able to produce on a kickstarter budget and also how much my nostalgia glasses coloured everything. Thankfully I was wrong and I really enjoyed this overall.

I think for me they hit a good balance of nostaglia, while just making a good new game. The one exception nostalgia-wise being
the Chelsea ending being too over the top
. Most of the conversations and FMV parts were perfect. The old gang did a great job and the new street characters (Mojo, Holly, Saphyrre, the police Lt.) were all great. Although the quality was well below modern AAA, the 3D environments they were more than enough for me to enjoy the game. Although many of the puzzles lacked some of the global logic that people talk about I still enjoyed doing them and never misunderstood or got stuck on any of them for long.

It wasn't perfect, certainly more polish on the 3D environments would be nice, but i understand the staff/budget/time constraint that drives it. They were mostly well designed, but like others I really didn't like Day 8-9 at
the tesla facility
, it was way too big and sparse and I spent way too much time running around. I also dislike the "stealth" parts, they are just annoying, but also easy and don't add tension. Overall I'd rather have smaller environments with more detail in the future.

There were a couple of "pixel hunt" items that were a bit hard to find on gamer mode.

Finally, there were also a couple of story points that didn't fully resolve for me. The man who grabs the cryochamber at the end of day 1, for the whole game I thought "who is this guy? whats his stake in all this?" there were also a few characters like
Count St. Germaine
that seemed like they would have a big role to be revealed later, but never did...

Overall I got another good Tex game and I'm happy with that. I'd be in for another.

SnowTeeth

Banned
The Special Edition soundtrack has just been released to backers who contributed more than $100. It seems that awesome end credits track is included...

EDIT: Nope, it's just the standard end credits track, not the backer credits UAKM style track :(

The Special Edition soundtrack has just been released to backers who contributed more than $100. It seems that awesome end credits track is included...

EDIT: Nope, it's just the standard end credits track, not the backer credits UAKM style track :(

The extended UAKM start-of-day music that played over the credits can be found here. As it turns out it was licensed from a DeWolfe library music CD, the song is called Crossfire.

Also, the amazing track that we hear a snippet of during the UAKM intro cinematic is from the same CD, and is called An Element of Danger.

Credit: marinedalek on the BFG forums

Stet

Banned
That was great. Well worth the backing price, though my big break on video game credits is a bit of a Where's Waldo.

painey

just beat it. $15 to back and 9hours of playtime. Very acceptable. Game had awesome moments, and bad (The Tesla facility was AWFUL). Some of the actors were atrocious too (the mutant cook, JESUS). Sucks i stayed true to
Chelsee, thinking she would show up and I just got the awful ending with Chelsee looking like dogshit

Hopefully theres another game in the works with a bigger, non-crowdfunded budget now.

MBison

I'm stuck on day 7

i can't find the grab O arm to get the screwdriver out of the water, where is it?

SnowTeeth

Banned
A mod that adds some tonemapping, bloom and more vibrant colours has just been released on the official forums.

There's included Nvidia Inspector AA profiles as well but they all made my GTX 570 cry. I just manually altered it down to something less stressful on my old card and it looks great.

I think it definitely adds some vibrancy to the visuals, but it's a minimal overall difference. Still worthwhile though imo.

Link.

BEFORE:
zah8tW8.jpg

AFTER:
lkQiWTj.jpg

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's $7.99 on GOG right this minute, dudes. That's a steal.

Maximo

Never played a Tex Murphy Game before but so far im loving this game! Love everything about it, its just a Throwback to old Games, any other games that are Similar to Tex Murphy ? Never played these type of games Before besides from maybe Escape from Horrorland as a kid.

Never played a Tex Murphy Game before but so far im loving this game! Love everything about it, its just a Throwback to old Games, any other games that are Similar to Tex Murphy ? Never played these type of games Before besides from maybe Escape from Horrorland as a kid.

I would highly recommend Under a Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive if you haven't played them.

Other than Tex Murphy, suprisingly 1997's Blade Runner point-and-click adventure game is quite good... but hard to find these days.

Beneath a Steel Sky is another futuristic, noir-inspired classic of the genre. However if you're looking for a sci-fi adventure that is closer in tone to Tex Murphy, the Space Quest series is a must... despite not being the most accessible. The VGA remake of the original would probably make for the best starting point.

Gone Home is a fantastic "first-person interactive story" where you investigate the nooks and crannies of your environment. Except the setting is quite different and puzzles are largely absent.

And then you've got Day of the Tentacle, aka the greatest point-and-click adventure game ever made.

In the end I guess it depends on whether you are looking for something similar to Tex Murphy storywise, gameplay-wise or presentation-wise (first-person view, FMV)...?

SnowTeeth

Banned
Bit of a bump, but I thought some might like to know that there's a cheap ($2.49) Tex Murphy bundle over at Bundle Stars at the mo. It doesn't contain Tesla Effect but all other Tex games are included: Mean Streets, Martian Memorandum, Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive and Overseer. It's an awesome package for an awesome price.

Also, The Poisoned Pawn (fanmade Overseer remake) is on track and looking good! http://www.bigfinishgames.com/production-diary-poisoned-pawn
Anyone else looking forward to this?

EDIT: Wow, only just realized that this thread is in community. No one is going to see this right?

Top Bottom