• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Zaph

What's smarch

smart watch

21XBs9I.gif

Forsete

Gold Member
Any makers here? I am a maker who makes stuff. Maker.

What type of site is Tested these days? Just maker stuff it seems, or was it always about maker stuff?

Sept. 2011

Steve Jobs
iPhone 4s
AMD chips
Rdio
Xbox

They've definitely switched directions, but it seems something that most tech/gadget blogs have as well. The Verge, Engadget, even Ars Technica to an extent all cover pretty different topics from what they did 3-4 years ago. I thing the stabilization of the smart phone market had a lot to do with it.Thankfully, the Wirecutter scratches my gadget review itch, just wish they could post new reviews more often (I understand why they don't, but I still want more haha)

Sept. 2011

Steve Jobs
iPhone 4s
AMD chips
Rdio
Xbox

They've definitely switched directions, but it seems something that most tech/gadget blogs have as well. The Verge, Engadget, even Ars Technica to an extent all cover pretty different topics from what they did 3-4 years ago. I thing the stabilization of the smart phone market had a lot to do with it.Thankfully, the Wirecutter scratches my gadget review itch, just wish they could post new reviews more often (I understand why they don't, but I still want more haha)

Man, early days Tested was really something special. I miss Whiskey Media.

jyoung188

Any makers here? I am a maker who makes stuff. Maker.

What type of site is Tested these days? Just maker stuff it seems, or was it always about maker stuff?

I've built and made stuff but I would never call myself a "maker". I cringe everytime they say that word, it's so pretentious.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They don't really need an excuse for a free trip though. Their travel budget is pretty hefty. If they tagged along next time Adam is doing a show then they might even get to ride on his groupie budget.
But then they can't post pics from the Lotus of Siam. lol

I assume the only reason they go to CES is so they can go eat there.

Gary's back...
with the amazing ability to get Will to say "12 days of furious masturbation."

It really is a different dynamic. I've been listening to older episodes lately and I think the main thing is that Gary makes just random, sometimes ridiculous absolute statements and then defends them to the death. It makes for a much more entertaining listen.

rbanke

Gary's back...
with the amazing ability to get Will to say "12 days of furious masturbation."

It really is a different dynamic. I've been listening to older episodes lately and I think the main thing is that Gary makes just random, sometimes ridiculous absolute statements and then defends them to the death. It makes for a much more entertaining listen.

I've completely fallen off from Tested as I share almost no interest with what Will & Norm want the site to be these days but even before that Gary was my draw to the podcast. I find him to be just a generally interesting speaker. Long after I stopped visiting the site I'd still download the podcasts he was on. Glad he's become a successful writer but I do miss hearing him.

I've completely fallen off from Tested as I share almost no interest with what Will & Norm want the site to be these days but even before that Gary was my draw to the podcast. I find him to be just a generally interesting speaker. Long after I stopped visiting the site I'd still download the podcasts he was on. Glad he's become a successful writer but I do miss hearing him.

He made it sound like he's going to be around for a while and will be on the podcast way more often, which is exciting!

newjeruse

Every time I know about a topic, and I hear Will Smith talk about that topic, he's often speaking out of his ass. I wonder how often he does that on topics I'm not well-versed in.

Chuck

Still without luck
Every time I know about a topic, and I hear Will Smith talk about that topic, he's often speaking out of his ass. I wonder how often he does that on topics I'm not well-versed in.
This is just how Tested is, my friend.

You get used to the hilariously wrong statements about games.

I like how Will says Sprint wants to buy Radioshack stores so that they can do the "Apple thing" of selling phones as if mobile carriers never had stores everywhere before Apple came along.

popo

I think it is safe to say that Whitta will not be writing the new Spiderman film.

Do they talk about how Garys movie almost killed the fresh Prince?

I don't think they mention that film at all. Maybe in 20 years when Gary writes his memoirs he can tell us just how much M Night fucked up a perfectly good script.

eznark

Banned
Whitta said something nice about a non Apple electronic device. Unbelievable.

MLP is not a kids show. I assume it was once, definitely not now. We let our daughter watch two episodes, not happening again. That, the Barbie show on Netflix and the new Dwarves show are made for cutter teens and emotionally crippled men.

Sneaky Snacky Squirrel is awesome!

Ozone

Gary being back is fantastic as I've been falling off the podcast. His crazy tangents and contests are hilarious every time. Missed this so much.

eznark

Banned
Anytime I see something with Adam I am reminded of how awesome Tested used to be. Can't even watch Mythbusters anymore.

Chuck

Still without luck
Gary being back is fantastic as I've been falling off the podcast. His crazy tangents and contests are hilarious every time. Missed this so much.

wasn't on this week so i bet it'll be another many 'busy' months til he's on next

eznark

Banned
Episode was fine, didn't think Norm said anything foolish about the cars. He said that he would be worried about Apple entering and essentially homogenizing the market like they did with mp3 players.

Zaph

Don't regularly listen to the podcast any more, but Patrick Norton is on this week and he's always a great guest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txJyvRrGmY

Brings much needed grounding - discussing Lenovo/cheap laptops, Norm stated he doesn't like "the race to the bottom" (giving no reason as to why) and Patrick just politely schools him on the real world and $40k income families whose choice is a $200 laptop for their kids or nothing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Patrick Norton is a great guest and it'd be great if he could show up every week. It makes Tested seem like a tech show again and not the weekly Apple update. lol

No_Style

I haven't visited Tested.com in quite some time but today's GDC VR video brought me there and it was like the Tested of old that I loved. As I scrolled down, the site, there was a gaming technology post (Steam VR), a home server article and an Android article and a whacky robotic cheetah article. This is what I loved and going back another page it seems like they're back to covering IT stuff more.

I guess I'm back to visiting them again. The podcast is another matter entirely though.

This weeks Apple event/GDC podcast has Gary and is three and a half hours long and probably the best one they've done since the Whiskey days.

eznark

Banned
This weeks Apple event/GDC podcast has Gary and is three and a half hours long and probably the best one they've done since the Whiskey days.

Looking forward to hearing Gary talk about how brilliant it is to force people to lug around a bunch of adapters to make your pseudo ultra portable laptop functional.

Top Bottom