• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[TGS] Star Ocean 5 TGS 2015 demo gameplay video released

Long range/ short range ? YES

Dat piano Theme ? YES

Seamless transition from field to battle ? YES

Guest fighter in a party ? YES

Changing the main fighter during battle seems easy ! Oh yeah

Verdict : goddamit i want this demo NOW

I'm actually disappointed that the Blindside mechanic doesn't seem to be in this one (at least from what the videos show). I really liked SO4's combat because of that. Not a big deal anyway. Game looks pretty good.

Amon37

Seemless battle = bad camera in tight places. I don't know how bad it will be, but there's already characters disappearing behind corners.

Came to say this too. I'm hoping it was just a bad player because the battle camera seemed horrible in other places too.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Looks fantastic, but I really hope that most narrative scenes don't play out the way they do in the video. It looks so lifeless.

edit: Lifeless is the wrong word I was looking for. I'm just hoping that they aren't ALL like that.

You mean, you want real time cut-scenes and not just in game dialogue during gameplay, right?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I just can't watch them for very long. Whoever is playing has that habit of yanking the camera left or right in short bursts instead of moving the camera smoothly. I've never understood why people do that.

It looks good though.

Inuhanyou

Can't speak for them, but that's why I agreed, at least.

There were a good number of them in SO3. I hope there are here too.

That's true, there were also a decent amount of dialogue options too, to change character relationships. Hopefully they've kept that along with the traditional billion different endings

This is looking really impressive, and it's great to see some actual direct game play. I think this looks like it could be a really incredible game. The combat looks awesome.

I just can't watch them for very long. Whoever is playing has that habit of yanking the camera left or right in short bursts instead of moving the camera smoothly. I've never understood why people do that.

It looks good though.

lol my feelings exactly... made it very hard to watch.

My only gameplay gripe is I wish the supporting characters turned transparent when they're in front of the camera so they don't block your active character.

Still, Day 0 for me.

I am seeing and hearing everything I've ever wanted from the Star Ocean series. Absolutely love the music. Seeing your party members while walking around out in the field is one of the quickest ways for a JRPG to get in my panties and wallet. Oh and the music strongly reminds me of Star Ocean 3 which is lovely because that one is my favorite.

Thank you SE. ;___;

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
lol my feelings exactly... made it very hard to watch.

My only gameplay gripe is I wish the supporting characters turned transparent when they're in front of the camera so they don't block your active character.

Still, Day 0 for me.

Yeah, a friend's cousin plays like that. He'll move the joystick slightly, let it centre, move the joystick slightly, let it centre ...

Why on earth don't they just keep their thumb on the joystick and move it smoothly?

Umm.... hyped?! Getting some good vibes from these demos

Also, that is some rad Star Ocean music. And those classic SO menu sounds.... <3

Negator

Sakuraba.
Crafting.
Cancel Bonus.
60 FPS.

God damn I can't wait. I wonder what that other currency that was in the menu is all about.

That's true, there were also a decent amount of dialogue options too, to change character relationships. Hopefully they've kept that along with the traditional billion different endings

If they do away with Private Actions I'll be more pissed than anyone was with SO4 >.>

If PAs and crafting is in, that's all I'll need out of this game. Gameplay and soundtrack I have no doubts that they'll deliver.

If they do away with Private Actions I'll be more pissed than anyone was with SO4 >.>

If PAs and crafting is in, that's all I'll need out of this game. Gameplay and soundtrack I have no doubts that they'll deliver.

They would literally have to have zero common sense if they took out PAs while trying to "bring back" Star Ocean.

They would literally have to have zero common sense if they took out PAs while trying to "bring back" Star Ocean.

Yeah. I guess so.

I'm just a little scared of today's AAA mentality of not putting in anything that takes effort and can be missed by the player...

But they've been doing all the right things so far in SO, so I shouldn't worry much.

OranSky

Banned
Honestly looking better all around then what I was expecting. Have not played any Star Ocean games but damn does this look nice. Gah >.< to many RPGs on my watch list.

benzy

Yeah, Private Actions is a must.

Man, I have missed tri-Ace's menu sound effects so much.

I know right so good.

Also that artwork when they went to the menu!
tO5AjOL.jpg

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I hope the item creation system is as robust as SO4. It was fun, although time consuming.

I'm sure as always it will be packed to the gills with sidequests.

Vena

So... what are the odds I can equip my sword with eight pairs of boots and render myself immune to damage on any difficulty in any dungeon?

Inuhanyou

I know right so good.

Also that artwork when they went to the menu!
tO5AjOL.jpg

Gott Damn!

People complain about the character designs, but i think their issue is the translation to 3D graphics in this title than anything about the designs themselves.

Vena

Gott Damn!

People complain about the character designs, but i think their issue is the translation to 3D graphics in this title than anything about the designs themselves.

I think the art is great, always has been in SO. I think the character models are odd and stiff like boards. But then I've always seen SO (since 3) to have had very peculiar models and a stiffness to it so this is par for the course for me with the series.

Raijinken

Probably a little early to make assumptions but it seems like we may not get a regular battle theme this time around? The battles were fairly short and the dungeon/field theme was just playing thoughout all of the video. I was really hoping to hear a battle theme that could compete with Cutting Edge of Notion.

Maybe that's why the website for the game had all the regular battle themes from the previous Star Ocean games but not Star Ocean 5...

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Weird. It looks like a PS2 game for the PS4. I want to like this game pretty badly, but after watching the forgamer video (the long one), it looks pretty rough. I'll wait to see some more footage later on and see if it doesn't look so low-budget.

Maybe I should try to purge MGSV from my mind for a bit and see if that changes my opinion.

Stimpack

Well, I'm real down with a male JRPG main character that doesn't wear a belly shirt.

Gott Damn!

I think you are correct about that, it's more about the transition to 3D that is in some ways jarring.

Dark_castle

Nice. I'm liking the gameplay. Some of the effects seem fairly tame though, but I'm assuming this will be steadily enhanced.

The menu looks good. Way better than FFXV's.

OmegaDL50

Weird. It looks like a PS2 game for the PS4. I want to like this game pretty badly, but after watching the forgamer video (the long one), it looks pretty rough. I'll wait to see some more footage later on and see if it doesn't look so low-budget.

Maybe I should try to purge MGSV from my mind for a bit and see if that changes my opinion.

I would love to see ANY PS2 game look this good with the large open environments that are shown in this videos for Star Ocean 5.

Although I could understand if you said it looked like a PS3 title, because the PS3 is the main development platform due to the Japanese userbase in mind.

Basically SO5 for the PS4 is more or less an upscaled port of a PS3 game with 60FPS most likely. Kind of like how Tales of Zestiria is also an upscaled PS3 title for the PS4.

Inuhanyou

Its a PS3 game upressed for PS4. The dev team have made no allusions about that from the beginning, it was a way they could hold onto their development budget.

I can understand people saying it looks like a lower budget game, which it probably is compared to AAA titles, but comparing this to PS2 titles is completely ridiculous and immediately takes away any credibility from the poster

Top Bottom