• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[TGS] Star Ocean 5 TGS 2015 demo gameplay video released

OmegaDL50

Wow that actually looks pretty interesting. I've never played a Star Ocean game before, but is the battle system basically one character that you control (and swtich) and then you'll have gambits for your NPCs teammates?

It's similar to the Tales series. In the sense that your AI combatants follow a preset strategy (There is no individual gambit commands), You can instantly switch to another character to control on the fly with the tap of L2 or R2, basically cycling through the left or right character.

In fact both the Star Ocean and Tales series can be considered like sister series to a degree.

Originally tri-Ace was comprised of former Namco Wolfteam members, which when they split off from Namco at the time and started their own development studio. The last game this team worked on before splitting off was the SNES version of Tales of Phantasia, which is why there is a lot of similarities in terms of music, sound effects, and graphic style between the original SNES Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean.

Originally Tales used a Linear combat system on a locked 2D plane (similar to that of a 2D fighting game), whereas Star Ocean expanded to make it free roam in an small area.

Now both series are similar in combat mechanics using a real-time battle system with multiple party members. Outside of their settings (Star Ocean is more sci-fi Space Opera with some fantasy elements, and the Tales series is pure fantasy with no Space sci-fi stuff) both series follow fairly common anime tropes.

If you played any of Tales games, expect something similar for Star Ocean except it's 100% full movement and no locked planes with your current target.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's similar to the Tales series. In the sense that your AI combatants follow a preset strategy (There is no individual gambit commands), You can instantly switch to another character to control on the fly with the tap of L2 or R2, basically cycling through the left or right character.

In fact both the Star Ocean and Tales series can be considered like sister series to a degree.

Originally tri-Ace was comprised of former Namco Wolfteam members, which when they split off from Namco at the time and started their own development studio. The last game this team worked on before splitting off was the SNES version of Tales of Phantasia, which is why there is a lot of similarities in terms of music, sound effects, and graphic style between the original SNES Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean.

Originally Tales used a Linear combat system on a locked 2D plane (similar to that of a 2D fighting game), whereas Star Ocean expanded to make it free roam in an small area.

Now both series are similar in combat mechanics using a real-time battle system with multiple party members. Outside of their settings (Star Ocean is more sci-fi Space Opera with some fantasy elements, and the Tales series is pure fantasy with no Space sci-fi stuff) both series follow fairly common anime tropes.

If you played any of Tales games, expect something similar for Star Ocean except it's 100% full movement and no locked planes with your current target.

Adding to that, Star Ocean has Iseria/Ethereal Queen and Gabriel Celeste staples across all the games (aka ultimate hidden bosses).

If you've played Tales games to completion, you'll encounter a post-game super dungeon/s. Star Ocean also has that. Both games have a lot of content and are packed in terms of item collection and gameplay.

OmegaDL50

Adding to that, Star Ocean has Iseria/Ethereal Queen and Gabriel Celeste staples across all the games (aka ultimate hidden bosses).

If you've played Tales games to completion, you'll encounter a post-game super dungeon/s. Star Ocean also has that. Both games have a lot of content and are packed in terms of item collection and gameplay.

Yeah that's true. Also the max level being 255 and the being able to craft super powerful items via a customization system which has been called Item Creation since the very first game.

In fact in Star Ocean 3 you could make stuff so powerful via synthesis and item creation that the very first weapon you acquire in the game (Fayt's Metal Pipe) could be crafted to have over 3000 ATK plus DEF stats so high that a level one character can stand in front of the final boss and idle and connected hits from the boss do zero damage.

It actually reminds of Disgaea in getting overpowered items but faaaar less extreme in terms of numbers.

I hope I can do some equally ridiculous stuff via creation like I did in SO3 and 4.

Kudo

Holy...
I had high expectations and it actually looks lot better than what I was expecting, great!

Shaping up pretty well isn't it. I haven't bought a Star Ocean since 3 on the PS2, but I may well have to hand over my monies for this.

Hmm...I don't love the character design (pretty anime-d out), but the seamless battles are damn nice. This is a solid maybe for me.

Apologies if this has already been stated, but do we know what engine this was developed on?

Exentryk

Holy Shit! This looks awesome!
Seamless Action combat, Sword strikes, Magic, changeable main character, amazing character look/shader... wow!

DAY 0!!!

Here's the full menu screen

star-ocean-integrity-31ajx.jpg

http://www.4gamer.net/games/298/G029832/20150914117/

Now thats a nice looking menu

Usobuko

Banned
Maybe my expectation is low but it does look noticeable better than what I think it will be. Seamless battle transition are welcome.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Kotaku write up confirms what I suspected all along. They are bringing back strong/weak attacks and guard system from SO3.

Ludist210

I like how seamless the battle transitions are, much like Xenoblade's. But the action is still Star Ocean...so far, so good!

Loving how this game is looking. I got Star Ocean 3 for ps2 on launch day as well as Star Ocean 4 International on ps3 on launch. I wonder what I'm going to be doing the day this game launches? hmm...

HeeHo

Hyped for seamless battles. Had no idea. That is my #1 requested feature aside from non-static armor in jRPGs.

jman2050

Well this is pretty much everything I ever wanted from a Star Ocean sequel, even if the character deaigns remain as charmingly awful as always.

Really hoping tri-Ace hits a home run with this one.

Now this looks like the kind of Tri-Ace game I remember. As far as the music goes, it always seems like Sakuraba comes out of his slumber when making Tri-Ace or Dark Souls music.

Xenus

Kotaku write up confirms what I suspected all along. They are bringing back strong/weak attacks and guard system from SO3.

Strong and weak attacks are cool. Wasn't really a fan of the anti attack aura system though. Seemed a pretty ham-fisted way to force you into using the slower strong attacks every so often.

Parfait

I loved blindsides from SO4 so i'm a bit sad to see them go. I wouldn't mind a proper combo system either. Still, I liked SO3 as well so i'm still happy.

Wagram

I have to admit that the environments look far more appealing to me than the realistic settings that FFXV is striving for. Regarding the battle music, i'm wondering if they're still deciding how to handle it considering battles don't look very long here. It would become annoying fast as hell to hear that same small loop.

rtcn63

That looked... lackluster. Reminded me of FFXIII and Xenoblade. Maybe it was just the camera angle in one of the videos, I remember SO4 being more overhead.

Datschge

Either exploration and battle music is the same specifically for the TGS demo, or battle themes are indeed limited to boss and special battles. I won't mind the latter if the exploration themes are all driven and varied like in e.g. VP.

Is Sakuraba composing?
Yes.

Small correction: Wolfteam never had been part of Namco, it was nearly always part of (now bankrupt) Telenet Japan. Even the split off Namco Tales Studio was never part of Namco but started as a separate joint venture between Namco and Telenet (and became wholly owned soon after). Only with the dissolution of Tales Studio and absorption of some employees Tales development staff became part of Bandai Namco proper.

Dark_castle

keUmw.jpg

the face of satan himself
*scratches head*

This particular shot doesn't look that bad to me. Can almost see the nose haha.

The male characters actually look pretty good in a not moe, kawaii way. Why do females have to be treated differently? :/

Actually I take it back. It's the face of the devil.

Syril

*scratches head*

This particular shot doesn't look that bad to me. Can almost see the nose haha.

The male characters actually look pretty good in a not moe, kawaii way. Why do females have to be treated differently? :/

Actually I take it back. It's the face of the devil.
The art team designed her before they hired Akiman for character design and felt too attached to her preliminary design.

Rpgmonkey

The menu sound effects immediately bring back the nostalgia for this series haha.

I haven't been super hyped for this game, I'm more interested in how Exist Archive will turn out to be honest, but it looks like it's turning out well enough. I expect all the Star Ocean-isms to pop up, both the good and the bad ones. :p

The menu sound effects immediately bring back the nostalgia for this series haha.

I haven't been super hyped for this game, I'm more interested in how Exist Archive will turn out to be honest, but it looks like it's turning out well enough. I expect all the Star Ocean-isms to pop up, both the good and the bad ones. :p

Same thing happened to me. Those are classic Star Ocean menu blips and they caused some nostalgia quakes in me.

Top Bottom