• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 worst games of all time (GamesRadar)

Machine

I gathered some of the biggest Animal Crossing fans I know together to play it and we couldn't make it through a single round. It's just the worst. Would rather play Game & Wario as much as that statement hurts to say.

The main board game is about as thrilling as a game of Candy Land but the desert island survival game is actually pretty fun.

Yeah, I don't know what Fester's Quest is doing on there. There were way worse NES games back then. I'm looking at you, Deadly Towers.

Mega

Banned
I'm calling complete and utter bullshit on Fester's Quest and Friday the 13th being on that list. There are easily dozens of worse NES games. Both games are difficult but there's nothing about them that's broken or impossible. They control a lot better than tons of other games, none of the bosses are impossible, they have solid graphics and if you know what you're doing they can both be fun.

I think a lot of hate for Friday the 13th comes from the fact that it appeared to be a simple side scroller and it's mistakenly approached that way. It's actually a deceptively deep game with strategy and RPG elements. That misconception got young players rushing through carelessly like it was Contra and progressing poorly. Then being ill-equipped for the Jason fights that can whittle down your campers, getting them all killed and shelving the game permanently.

Only one I've played on the list is Bubsy 3D. I actually ended up beating it as a kid. Gotta get your money's worth out of those rentals.

hiryu64

I was really hoping there would be a video with that famous banjo tune they used in their "100 reasons fanboys hate x" videos many years back. I loved that tune...

Speely

Banned
Came in looking for Night Trap and was not disappointed. Was worried for a moment that the awkward existence of Sega CD would be left out.

Sonic CD, Snatcher, and Kolibri were fantastic.

digdug2k

My family played Atari E.T. religiously when I was a kid. When compared with half the Atari games we had that were completely unplayable, I've always thought calling it "the worst" is pretty excessive.

Hypron

Game isn't horrible. It's just not what the fans wanted.

Nah it's actually legit terrible. Maybe not top 100 terrible but terrible nonetheless. The gameplay is complete trash (no sense of impact, bad animations, boring and recycled enemies, broken game balance, completely trash encounter design like that invisible underwater bossfight, etc.), the game is ugly as sin (the only redeeming factor being Dante's design), the story might as well be nonexistent... It's just shit, and not just as a DMC game.

E.T. is so bad that all of the cartridges got tossed in a landfill. I think number two is selling it short.

I liked Friday the 13th for the most part.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Out of the games I've played on that list, they all definitely deserve to be there... excepting maybe Friday the 13th and Fester's Quest. Friday the 13th is not a good game but it's not irredeemably horrible. Just one of those extremely obtuse games with poor hit detection, slightly stiff control, and vague objectives that were a dime a dozen on the NES. Though I would have never guessed the company who made it would end up becoming one of my favorite ever game devs.

Back in the day pre-AVGN Fester's Quest seemed to garner a tiny bit of praise in like Nintendo Power and such. Boss graphics look great at least.

I feel like it is getting harder to make a "worst of all time" game list because of how iOS/ Google Play and Stream Greenlight has really affected everything. A game like Big Rigs used to be a novelty in how bad it was. But there are so many bad Greenlight games out there now that just rival it in its badness.

Dremark

Banned
E.T. being bad is hyperbole. It's perfectly fine considering the limitations of the 2600, and the gameplay is manageable if you just read the instruction booklet

You beat me to it. I literally never heard anyone claim it was a bad game until internet hyperbole legend made it soley responsible for ruining the industry retroactively.

You beat me to it. I literally never heard anyone claim it was a bad game until internet hyperbole legend made it soley responsible for ruining the industry retroactively.

It was getting credit for ruining the the home console industry 1983 long before the internet. I remember there being articles about it in old game magazines. It wasn't really the game that was solely responsible for ruining an entire industry, I feel like it was the tipping point.. Bad 2600 games like Pac-Man and the last of quality control for third party developers were already souring consumers on home consoles, at least in North America.

Though ET really isn't one of the worst games on the Atari 2600. It was actually "OK" in comparison to some of the other trash that was released for that system.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nah it's actually legit terrible. Maybe not top 100 terrible but terrible nonetheless. The gameplay is complete trash (no sense of impact, bad animations, boring and recycled enemies, broken game balance, completely trash encounter design like that invisible underwater bossfight, etc.), the game is ugly as sin (the only redeeming factor being Dante's design), the story might as well be nonexistent... It's just shit, and not just as a DMC game.

There are thousands of games that would kill to have DMC2's problems.

Dremark

Banned
E.T. is so bad that all of the cartridges got tossed in a landfill. I think number two is selling it short.

I liked Friday the 13th for the most part.

"All of the cartridges" weren't thrown in a landfill, the game was one of the top selling 2600 games. The issue was that they massively over produced the game and still ended up with a ton of unsold carts.

The landfill itself that everyone acts like was filled with copies of ET was actually filled with an assortment of unsold games. The industry had crashed and games in general were no longer selling.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Ohh yeah, there was a reason why I never go to them. I don't fucking care to click through a bazilion pages just to see one thing.

Fucking piece of shit garbage.

Anyone mind sharing what they actually wrote about unlimited saga? Can't be arsed to do it on mobile.

Edit: i clicked and clicked

Japanese RPGs get a lot of flak these days. People call them linear, obtuse slogs through redundant settings in which you grind out levels so as to figure out a baroque combat system used to finish an excessively insipid plot with obnoxious characters. People these days are dumb; they were talking about this ten years ago with Unlimited SaGa.

More or less a board game for exploration with slot machine-like combat, Unlimited SaGa’s name must have come from the infinite amounts of tedium that players could expect. These unlucky (or equally dumb) players didn't move around dungeons or towns in the traditional sense more than they just chose locations and NPCs to talk to, and battles were just as much about lousy luck as they were about stat building and smart tactics. There may not be one definitive cause for JRPG decline in the West, but this might be as close as we can to pinpointing it.

Ok i expecting the no go to location markers, mini map or how it wasn't CT, FF or something else main stream but hey each to their own. I also disliked it coming off Frontier but it grew ok me :) Flaws yes but the sum of it made up for it in the end.

I remember renting Unlimited SaGa, and not willing to put in the time to learn its obtuse systems, I gave up. One of the worst games ever? I couldn't say. But I think ignorant quotes and ideas like the one above have hurt Japanese RPGs in the west farrrr more than a niche game like this did.

Darak

This list is ridiculous. I remember playing Golden Axe: Beast Rider to completion, for example, and having a good time. Was it an amazing game? No, but it wasn't even close to be one of the worst 100 of all time.

I played a lot of games for the 80's micros that were much worse than anything on this list.

mcz117chief

46. Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough.gif

I am enjoying it much more than most games I bought this year. I can think of like a million more games that can easily beat most games in their shittiness on that list.

Pandy

My family played Atari E.T. religiously when I was a kid. When compared with half the Atari games we had that were completely unplayable, I've always thought calling it "the worst" is pretty excessive.
It was a massive failure, but people seem to forget how little that had to do with the game itself.

It's a "board game" that hasn't anything of a "game". So it's just a "board".
You've played a board game before, I take it? Snakes and Ladders, Ludo, Mouse Trap, etc.
Many of them are just taking turns to roll dice and seeing who wins, so being critical on those grounds is not the most effective line of attack.

Camwi

96. Golden Axe: Beast Rider
Played through it, and it absolutely belongs on the list.

82. Bubsy 2
Don't remember it, but I played it when I was younger. I'm sure it's garbage.

76. Silent Hill: Book of Memories
This is the Vita game, right? If so, then yes it belongs here. Couldn't stomach more than maybe the first level. Total shit.

62. Chicken Shoot
This should really be much, much higher. Got it for super cheap and played a bit of it, and it's beyond fucking awful. No challenge whatsoever when you're shooting the same stupid chickens over and over again, until you get to the boss where you would have to shoot it for literally 10 minutes straight (maybe longer, because I couldn't sit through that shit). Developers of this should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

57. Mario is Missing
Same as Bubsy 2, don't remember it, but I'm sure it was crap.

42. Unlimited SaGa
Never played it, but this might be the one controversial game on the list. I know a few people out there swear by it.

33. Yaris
This game was supposed to offer cheap achievements, but I couldn't play it beyond one or two races. It's so bad.

Vandole

Yeah I don't think it's quite the worst game ever, but I do think some defenders try to give it too much credit. It was a late gen release for the 2600 and if you look at some of the other games from that time like Pitfall and Yar's Revenge, it's pretty weak in comparison. Maybe not compared to some of the other earlier crap like Haunted House, but it's still bad. It's high-profile definitely enhanced it's reputation as crap through.

Vandole

Oh and I'm happy to see Street Fighter the Movie on that list. I'm still bitter about the fifty cents I put in that. I can't imagine how people who bought the console version for $50 must have felt.

ArjanN

jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough.gif

I am enjoying it much more than most games I bought this year. I can think of like a million more games that can easily beat most games in their shittiness on that list.

Silent Hill: Book of Memories is a good game as long as you know what you're getting into (a hardcore Action/Roguelike with Silent Hill fanservice).

Honestly Silent Hill: Book of Memories and Yaiba are only on this because of franchise expectations. So really more dissapointing than actually bad.

Thats kind of the problem with a list like this, the actual 100 worst games are random shlock on mobile you've never even heard of.

mcz117chief

Honestly Silent Hill: Book of Memories and Yaiba are only on this because of franchise expectations. So really more dissapointing than actually bad.

Thats kind of the problem with a list like this, the actual 100 worst games are random shlock on mobile you've never even heard of.

Yeah, Yaiba is definitely the worst Ninja Gaiden game (haven't played Vanilla 3 though) but it works fine, has no bugs and has some very cool ideas + Yaiba himself is a super fun character that I would LOVE to see in Dead or Alive, and that intro, man that intro is one of the best there is. Definitely a game I would recommend if you would see it for $10-$20.

Wingus

As a SaGa fan, I kinda expected Unlimited SaGa to be part of the list, even though I like that game.

Turns out it is.

I only played 2 games on that list. Daikatana and Custer's Revenge. I think people hated Daikatana more because of the obnoxious ad campaign and it ended up being extremely average. Custer's Revenge is pretty childish and offensive though.

Mercenaries 2 should have been on there for sure.

Top Bottom