• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Hard to say, patches and certs are still a bit byzantine on consoles. Some patches seem to come no problem, some stuff seems to be an ordeal.

It's under 800MB for sure--are you sure the game size is that high? Patches replace some of the data from the original file so a 400MB game with a 400MB update isn't necessarily going to end up as 800MB. I want to say it's something between 500 and 600MB on Vita 1.3 but I can check later

I know that's how it's supposed to work and since the Isaac patches were just small fixes the size shouldn't change at all. But look at this:
Download size in the store 345 MB
3KtEwaL.jpg
Patched with 1.01 801MB
Most up to date Steam build 311MB

They clearly fucked something up here.

SerTapTap

Hm I've heard of patches reducing game size before--perhaps 1.3 fixes a garbage data issue in patch 1. I think Killzone Mercenary did something like that. I'll try and check it tonight like I said. I never actually checked the size until patch 3 (was there even patch 2 on PS?)

Hm I've heard of patches reducing game size before--perhaps 1.3 fixes a garbage data issue in patch 1. I think Killzone Mercenary did something like that. I'll try and check it tonight like I said. I never actually checked the size until patch 3 (was there even patch 2 on PS?)

Nah Vita went from 1.01 straight to 1.03

Vlad

Some of his hops are extremely short, but like almost all jump attacks, his target is wherever you are the moment he starts the jump, so just keep moving.

And no, you're pretty much done, there are a few random unlocks you might have missed, you need to beat Mom's Heart in hard with everything, then beat everything on hard with Super Awful Secret Character that I'm not entirely sure you're aware of. I think avoiding spoilers is futile for that one, it's a bullshit "secret" that was never possible to discover on your own anyway. Also it's terrible game design beyond that but, we've covered that before.

Aside from the secret character, you get nothing for beating hard mode past the Heart. I'd just look up the unlocks honestly. The ones I missed were mostly stupid crap.

Ok, so after finally beating all of hard mode with the last character, I'm coming back to this. I'm still trying to stay away from wikis until the last possbile minute (I'll pretty much have to do this in order to fill in the item sheet, most likely), but I figure I'll ask for some gentle hints if anybody's interested in helping me remain unspoiled:

1. What's this character you speak of? I thought I had everybody unlocked, judging by the character select screen, although if he/she is really that tough to discover, then it's not one of the default unlockable characters that say how to unlock them? I just made a list of the different secrets I'm still missing, and it looks to be more than I was expecting. I know I haven't made a complete
Bandage Girl
yet, and if there are any secrets for doing the final levels without taking damage, those might have to remain forever locked away.

2. Am I missing something, or are the items you get for beating hard mode REALLY rare? I don't think I saw a single one spawn during the dozens of runs I was doing towards the end of the character list. I get that I wouldn't get all of them, but I don't think I saw a single one.

It probably slipped through SCEE's cracks and will never actually surface but hopefully they actually publish this new one. So no fully functional game + seed exploit version. Sorry about The Lost, item collection and Meat Boy, Europe...
Technically, having done everything I could on 1.01, if everything works (ie Godhead unlocks as I've already met the conditions), the only hard part will be actually running into Godhead. No seeds might make this long though.
I'll try abusing D6 I guess.

SerTapTap

Ok, so after finally beating all of hard mode with the last character, I'm coming back to this. I'm still trying to stay away from wikis until the last possbile minute (I'll pretty much have to do this in order to fill in the item sheet, most likely), but I figure I'll ask for some gentle hints if anybody's interested in helping me remain unspoiled:

1. What's this character you speak of? I thought I had everybody unlocked, judging by the character select screen, although if he/she is really that tough to discover, then it's not one of the default unlockable characters that say how to unlock them? I just made a list of the different secrets I'm still missing, and it looks to be more than I was expecting. I know I haven't made a complete
Bandage Girl
yet, and if there are any secrets for doing the final levels without taking damage, those might have to remain forever locked away.

2. Am I missing something, or are the items you get for beating hard mode REALLY rare? I don't think I saw a single one spawn during the dozens of runs I was doing towards the end of the character list. I get that I wouldn't get all of them, but I don't think I saw a single one.

1. Oh you're not aware of...THAT. Google
The Lost
and all will be clear. It's a secret, but not one you can find yourself so IMO it's not worth worrying about spoilers--like the Fez secrets it was only going to ever be discovered via communal effort. Also you're going to friggin HATE them.

2. Wait, what items? Hard mode Mom's Heart unlocks a co op baby for each character, not an item. They're just little buddies that your co op partner might spawn as with minor quirks. Co op is a cute idea but isn't very good currently. Unless both players are insanely good it's just giving up health to slightly increase damage output and majorly increase your odds of taking damage.

Technically, having done everything I could on 1.01, if everything works (ie Godhead unlocks as I've already met the conditions), the only hard part will be actually running into Godhead. No seeds might make this long though.
I'll try abusing D6 I guess.

Find angel room, bomb Angel, reroll the key piece AND the (potential) item in the room. That's about all you can do unfortunately. Angel room items suck for collection.

Vlad

1. Oh you're not aware of...THAT. Google
The Lost
and all will be clear. It's a secret, but not one you can find yourself so IMO it's not worth worrying about spoilers--like the Fez secrets it was only going to ever be discovered via communal effort. Also you're going to friggin HATE them.

Hah, oddly enough the other game I'm going through currently happens to be Fez. While I haven't collected everything yet, I did get to the end (or "an end", depending on what else I haven't seen yet), so I guess I haven't hit the secrets yet, although I have come across several things and areas that did seem rather cryptic.

So yeah, I just followed your suggestion and looked up that last character... how on earth was anybody supposed to stumble upon that? Although that does explain what the Missing Poster was used for.

Speaking of which, do I need to
collect all the puzzle pieces that it mentions before doing the various deaths to unlock The Lost? If so, how many puzzle pieces are there? I think I've only seen the poster about five times (although I've grabbed it every time, in a feeble attempt to figure out what it did), and I honestly never, ever, ever in a million years would have figured out to do something as arbitrary as dying with it in such an oddly specific way. If they had made it so that any death would give you the puzzle piece, that would at least be somewhat feasible to stumble upon.

2. Wait, what items? Hard mode Mom's Heart unlocks a co op baby for each character, not an item. They're just little buddies that your co op partner might spawn as with minor quirks. Co op is a cute idea but isn't very good currently. Unless both players are insanely good it's just giving up health to slightly increase damage output and majorly increase your odds of taking damage.

Co-op? Is that on all versions or just the console version(s)? I didn't see any mention of co-op anywhere in the game. All I know is that when I was beating Mom's Heart on Hard, I was getting the pop-ups like
"You have unlocked Glitch Baby!", which made me think that they were just other "[word] Baby" items that follow you around and shoot stuff.

SerTapTap

Hah, oddly enough the other game I'm going through currently happens to be Fez. While I haven't collected everything yet, I did get to the end (or "an end", depending on what else I haven't seen yet), so I guess I haven't hit the secrets yet, although I have come across several things and areas that did seem rather cryptic.

So yeah, I just followed your suggestion and looked up that last character... how on earth was anybody supposed to stumble upon that? Although that does explain what the Missing Poster was used for.

Speaking of which, do I need to
collect all the puzzle pieces that it mentions before doing the various deaths to unlock The Lost? If so, how many puzzle pieces are there? I think I've only seen the poster about five times (although I've grabbed it every time, in a feeble attempt to figure out what it did), and I honestly never, ever, ever in a million years would have figured out to do something as arbitrary as dying with it in such an oddly specific way. If they had made it so that any death would give you the puzzle piece, that would at least be somewhat feasible to stumble upon.

Co-op? Is that on all versions or just the console version(s)? I didn't see any mention of co-op anywhere in the game. All I know is that when I was beating Mom's Heart on Hard, I was getting the pop-ups like
"You have unlocked Glitch Baby!", which made me think that they were just other "[word] Baby" items that follow you around and shoot stuff.

Oh goodness no you don't need to collect the puzzle pieces--that's just what the community was supposed to do to figure it out. Just get to dying, in order, there's plenty of guides on how to make it quick.

Player 2 just presses any button on a second controller. I dunno how it works on PC, and it doesn't on Vita/PS TV. You're not missing much, though a mod is apparently trying to bring more proper co op to isaac PC. I'd wait for that if you actually want to play it.

I agree with Sir TapTap with one exception. The Co-op partner can shoot in blindfolded challenges, which can make them significantly easier. Cat Got Your Tongue is almost trivial with a decent partner since the partner's shots generate flies.

SerTapTap

I agree with Sir TapTap with one exception. The Co-op partner can shoot in blindfolded challenges, which can make them significantly easier. Cat Got Your Tongue is almost trivial with a decent partner since the partner's shots generate flies.

Huh, hadn't even thought of that. Kinda surprised they don't disable that.

Haunted

If you're just starting out and you're struggling to do damage at the beginning while not being able to afford getting hit a lot, coop will most likely make things even harder (obviously depending on the skill of the coop player - but it has to be quite high to make it a consistently useful reinforcement). On the other hand, if you're already owning with a lot of damage output, coop will make it even easier to clear rooms quickly.

So I basically think of coop as an amplifier for the current run. If it goes badly, it'll all go to shit even quicker. If it goes well, you'll probably be able to "win more". In its current incarnation, I don't think it's super great.

I am greatly looking forward to that proper coop mod, that could be a real gamechanger.

Not entirely sure what the logic is. I'm not sure there's a way to "exploit" it as you can simply use the book of revs on EVERY floor for the best chances, I think the change just makes it more likely that they'll all show up. I only know patterns from a select few seeds since you need book of revs first floor to even take proper advantage. If you could find a large selection of book of revs seeds it might be possible to learn more about it.
I was hoping for something like "you'll always get a Cube on odd and a Ball on even floors when using the Book of Revelations". In that case, I would've just waited to use the book on Basement II to make sure I get Bandages instead of Meat, know what I mean?

But if it's completely random whether you get Meat or Bandages, that's another RNG layer on top of the conquest/headless horseman RNG that can potentially ruin a run even when you are so lucky as to get a book on the first two floors.

FUCK

SerTapTap

If you're just starting out and you're struggling to do damage at the beginning while not being able to afford getting hit a lot, coop will most likely make things even harder (obviously depending on the skill of the coop player - but it has to be quite high to make it a consistently useful reinforcement). On the other hand, if you're already owning with a lot of damage output, coop will make it even easier to clear rooms quickly.

So I basically think of coop as an amplifier for the current run. If it goes badly, it'll all go to shit even quicker. If it goes well, you'll probably be able to "win more". In its current incarnation, I don't think it's super great.

I was hoping for something like "you'll always get a Cube on odd and a Ball on even floors when using the Book of Revelations". In that case, I would've just waited to use the book on Basement II to make sure I get Bandages instead of Meat, know what I mean?

Co op as an amplifier on a good run is absolutely not how co op as a thing works though. Isaac is already a bit boring for the co op player, I'm not going to ask my friend to just sit there while I play until a good run starts, I might as well be that kid that invites people over and doesn't let them play. If co op isn't viable from the start it's pointless.

It can't be ball on even floors because then it would be impossible--there are only two non-set "II" floor bosses, there's four on Odd floors. But still, I think this way at least means you shouldn't get 3 of one and 3 of the other which is still a huge improvement. And either way just use the book of revs on all floors. Maybe you'll get Conquest or Headless Horseman out of the way.

I still need to beat Mom's Heart on hard mode with several characters, so earlier I had a go with Cain. On the first 2 floors I picked up the following:

Cricket's Head
Experimental Treatment (which favoured damage)
Growth Hormones
Small Rock

Amazing, right? Then Caves I loaded up and...the game crashed. When I restarted, it wouldn't let me continue, so I lost the run.

#@$%!

Afrodium

Banned
So I'm tryi to get a Blue Baby kill for Cain because it's one of the few things I have left for him. I get to Depths 2 with Guppy + Big Spiders and Flies so I'm pretty much set for winning the run. I use a Telepills right before the Boss Door which sends me to I Am Error, robbing me of the Polaroid needed to go to The Chest. Extremely frustrating.

SerTapTap

So I'm tryi to get a Blue Baby kill for Cain because it's one of the few things I have left for him. I get to Depths 2 with Guppy + Big Spiders and Flies so I'm pretty much set for winning the run. I use a Telepills right before the Boss Door which sends me to I Am Error, robbing me of the Polaroid needed to go to The Chest. Extremely frustrating.

Honestly I'd probably never use telepills unless I were trying to get I Am Error

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
FINALLY.

Got Godhead.

Had to get Holy Mantle on the first floor, and Guppy by Caves 2, in order to manage it. And even then I got down to my last life on The Lamb before I pulled it off.

Now I just need to do Meat Boy/Bandage Girl; find Skeleton Key, Transcendence, Super Bandage, Trinity Shield, Godhead, and The Soul; and play the skull game enough to get Counterfeit Penny to appear because apparently I never do that.

The grind begins, I suppose.

SerTapTap

Ed posted on Tumblr about how that's not perfectly accurate, but pretty close. Need to watch it soon

I still think they screwed up cert and didn't bother submitting again since they'd do another patch later anyway. If SCEE is at fault, a bit of communication should have solved that problem no?

Part of why I think that their patches are screwed up is because the file size of the game before is ~400MB and after the 1.01 patch it is 800MB. That doesn't seem like it's supposed to happen. I'm still curious what the size of the game on Vita is after the US 1.03 patch

Hm, confirmed, it's still 800MB after patch 1.3. At least it didn't get bigger.

Vlad

Oh goodness no you don't need to collect the puzzle pieces--that's just what the community was supposed to do to figure it out. Just get to dying, in order, there's plenty of guides on how to make it quick.

Well, I didn't bother with any guides, but I did manage to unlock him, so yay for that. Oddly enough, the hardest part was the first part, simply due to waiting for the right enemy to spawn.

As for the character himself
Man, you really can't lose focus for a second, can you? Almost made it to Mom once with him, but usually I do something stupid and get taken out around the Caves. I just had a run where, by the end of the second floor, I had Brimstone, Whore of Babylon, Abbadon, and the Stopwatch. I was feeling like it was going to be a hell of a run, and I head into the devil room to grab some more free stuff, and I get cockly and lose to a Krampus beam.

Many curses were uttered.

SerTapTap

Well, I didn't bother with any guides, but I did manage to unlock him, so yay for that. Oddly enough, the hardest part was the first part, simply due to waiting for the right enemy to spawn.

As for the character himself
Man, you really can't lose focus for a second, can you? Almost made it to Mom once with him, but usually I do something stupid and get taken out around the Caves. I just had a run where, by the end of the second floor, I had Brimstone, Whore of Babylon, Abbadon, and the Stopwatch. I was feeling like it was going to be a hell of a run, and I head into the devil room to grab some more free stuff, and I get cockly and lose to a Krampus beam.

Many curses were uttered.

Yeaaaaahhh that's why I recommended guides. You can use seeds for the first 3 deaths, which makes the first one incredibly much easier. The last three are pretty easy as they're not dictated by RNG. I think the first one is just so no one would bumble into it on accident.

And yes that characters is terrible. Stopwatch, Dead Cat or Holy Mantle, ideally all three, are all but required to make a successful run.

see5harp

I have started to replay this game. I can't believe this shit is as buggy as the original flash version on PS4. Shit is crashing and hanging like every 5 games.

SerTapTap

That's odd--it IS buggy, but I've only had it crash maybe 3 times on PS4 and I've got Real Plat God, I can only assume that's well over 20 hours of gameplay. I'm not sure why it crashed when it did either. I was terrified Jera abuse would crash it but it never happened

see5harp

It doesn't all out crash, but it'll hang between levels. I can manually quit the app and then continue from the start of the level but it's just crazy to me that it's still sorta rough around the edges.

Bliddo

Is the trophy for completing
the chest/dark room
without getting hit obtainable?
Because I did that more than a few times right now, but no trophy.

SerTapTap

Is the trophy for completing
the chest/dark room
without getting hit obtainable?
Because I did that more than a few times right now, but no trophy.

Are you on 1.03? Then yes. I don't think it's possible on earlier ones. AKA sorry yorup

SerTapTap

From the sound of things it seems 1.03 may not hit europe at all but they'll be making another patch soon anyway so you'll just play it on that version.

I'm on the PC and for some reason the achievement "Everything is Terrible" never unlocked. Any way to get it to trigger? I've unlocked almost everything in the game short of meat boy, so I hope it doesn't prevent me from getting real Platinum God or anything.

I really wish I knew what they were thinking with Angel rooms.

For the heck of it I decided to make several runs without utilizing Devil Deals.

What I note is that Angel Rooms are stupid rare for such a bad pool. In the 20 or so runs I've done this way, fully half had zero Angel rooms.

In all cases I was using Isaac so had maximum amount of item rerolls, and in those runs I got zero Wafers, zero Trinity Shields, zero Holy Mantles, zero Godheads, zero body/mind/soul and one Sacred Heart.

Basically no useful items at all.

I could understand the logic if the item room pool was better. It's almost like somehow the logic should be switched, defaulting to Angel Room and requiring effort/luck to get the Devil rooms, not the other way around.

Ferrio

Banned

For the heck of it I decided to make several runs without utilizing Devil Deals.

What I note is that Angel Rooms are stupid rare for such a bad pool. In the 20 or so runs I've done this way, fully half had zero Angel rooms.

In all cases I was using Isaac so had maximum amount of item rerolls, and in those runs I got zero Wafers, zero Trinity Shields, zero Holy Mantles, zero Godheads, zero body/mind/soul and one Sacred Heart.

I could understand the logic if the item room pool was better. It's almost like somehow the logic should be switched, defaulting to Angel Room and requiring effort/luck to get the Devil rooms, not the other way around.

Angel room being horrible was one of the chief complaints about the original, and they somehow made it worse in this version. They did a good job with adding new content, they did a horrible job taking old content and updating it. The mod richard_hammer has been testing out for racing is a step in the right direction in fixing it though.

Haunted

Should be equal chance and expanding on the Angel Room pool to balance it out. Put the Guppy items into the Angel pool.

They are rare, but once you get one they sorta show up a bunch. Goat head seems to help me (as long as I turn down the devil deals), and there are some items like the photo album that help too.

And what helped me a lot is I'd bomb the angel. So when I rerolled I'd get two different items from the angel pool. Got Godhead that way.

They are rare, but once you get one they sorta show up a bunch. Goat head seems to help me (as long as I turn down the devil deals), and there are some items like the photo album that help too.

And what helped me a lot is I'd bomb the angel. So when I rerolled I'd get two different items from the angel pool. Got Godhead that way.

I was bombing the Angel for the rerolled item. I still got nothing of note.

I sure did see a lot of Lazarus' rags and Dead Sea Scrolls though.

Haunted

What about 'good' equivalent to Guppy? Half the angel rooms are already basically skin swaps.
Don't you dare badmouth Guppy, that cat was a saint! :p

If there are new transformations in the expansion, I'm hoping some of them make it into the Secret and Angel Room pool, the pools are too limited, too rare and not quality enough to compensate compared to Devil Rooms.

Here's my proposal - the first time a bonus room appears on a run, there should be both devil and angel room doors in the boss room. But you have to choose and can only go into one. Taking the item inside locks you into that type of bonus room for the rest of the run, with the same chances for future rooms to appear as it is for devil rooms now.

edit: quickly looking at the item pools for the respective rooms (and discounting the body/mind/soul/godhead items only 3-4% of players have), there's twice as many items in the devil room pool (39 vs 20). Equivalent bonus rooms my ass.

edit²: some of the devil room items aren't necessarily suited to be only "evil" as well, they could totally fit into a heavenly theme - sister maggy and brother bobby, all the guppy items, the nail, mom's knife... add the Ankh and the crown of thorns from the treasure item pools and bam, you've got much more balanced devil/angel pools that still fit the respective themes.

Giving the Angel Room the chance to spawn two items or an item + two soul hearts instead of 3 soul hearts I think would go a long way towards appeasing my issues.

One of the reasons the Devil Room is so good in spite of so many crappy items is the whole 3x items thing, and even when the items are completely replaced with chests the chests can at least contain Guppy items.

As annoying as Krampus is his items are not terrible, and more importantly he can only occur once.

edit: As is I'd be really annoyed if Brother Bobby, Sister Maggy, the Nail/Knife/Ankh, or even the Guppy items were moved to the Angel pool. No way do I want Godhead and Sacred Heart to be even MORE rare.

SerTapTap

It'd be cool if the devil/angel thing could somehow be affected by playstyle. It slightly is, but it's basically just "there are ways to keep getting devil rooms but if you want angel rooms you're screwed"

Well, all that Angel room hunting has paid off. I found Godhead and now have Real Platinum God on both PS4 and PC.

The sad thing is I still desire to play the game and have fun doing so. This might actually be my favorite game of all time.

Ambitious

I've completed a bunch of the challenges. They're actually pretty fun. Computer Savvy, for instance (Technology + Technology 2).

Right now I'm playing Solar System. I'm in level 4 , but I just found a dice room with six pips. It's going well, but I doubt I'll be able to defeat the boss without tears, so I'm going the roll the dice.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I've completed a bunch of the challenges. They're actually pretty fun. Computer Savvy, for instance (Technology + Technology 2).

Right now I'm playing Solar System. I'm in level 4 , but I just found a dice room with six pips. It's going well, but I doubt I'll be able to defeat the boss without tears, so I'm going the roll the dice.

How did it go?

Ambitious

How did it go?

My Vita's battery died just after I had entered the room. Need to charge it for ~3 minutes until I can turn it back on.

By the way, I also managed to beat the Head Trauma challenge. Boy, that was tedious. Didn't find any useful pickups.

edit: I've transformed into Lord of the the Flies (for the first time). But I can't shoot any tears. There are still two grey flies orbiting me. My only way of attacking enemies seems to be two familiars, which hardly do any damage.

Rolling the dice on the blindfolded challenges tends to be a really bad idea, because it does not remove the blindfold.

You can end up with a character completely unable to attack.

The challenges where rolling the dice can really help are those like Head Trauma and Waka Waka.

Ambitious

Rolling the dice on the blindfolded challenges tends to be a really bad idea, because it does not remove the blindfold.

You can end up with a character completely unable to attack.

The challenges where rolling the dice can really help are those like Head Trauma and Waka Waka.

Goddammit. Didn't know that.
Well, back to the start.

Top Bottom