• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Breath of Fire series' 20th anniversary

Jucksalbe

Banned
Love the series, though I never finished any of the games.
Too bad it's practically dead. Is there a specific reason why BoF I was never released on the VC even though BoF II was?

Aeana

By the way, I definitely recommend giving the Breath of Fire 2 retranslation a try. It makes the game significantly better, especially for English speakers. Not only is the translation dramatically improved, it also has a fair few interface improvements, and dashing support.

Arthea

I didn't like Dragon Quarter the first time I tried it. Expectations definitely got in the way. I went back to it some years later and fell in love, though.

Maybe I should play it again too?
Too many games too little time

Syril

Love the series, though I never finished any of the games.
Too bad it's practically dead. Is there a specific reason why BoF I was never released on the VC even though BoF II was?

The first game was translated and published here by Squaresoft, so Capcom and Square-Enix would have had to work something out probably.

By the way, I definitely recommend giving the Breath of Fire 2 retranslation a try. It makes the game significantly better, especially for English speakers. Not only is the translation dramatically improved, it also has a fair few interface improvements, and dashing support.
Was the GBA version based on the original translation as well or was it retranslated? Cause I played BoF2 on the GBA, and can't remember if the translation was horrible cause I'm used to Engrish dialogue due to reading some of my elder siblings essay and assignments XD

jiggle

dq was not a bad game
just wasn't a good bof game
looking at the pictures in the OP
rino and niño stick out like sore thumbs

Arthea

BoF series really reminds me DMC in some way. Especially with Dragon Quarter and DmC on the table.
Still I would wholeheartedly take more BoF5 games than no new BoF games at all. Not sure about DMC though. :)

Indeed. Dragon Quarter was a brilliant breath of fresh air. The art, the music, the save system, the dragon meter, every aspect of the game contributed towards one common vision. "Cohesive" is the word I would use to describe it. Rarely do you see such clearly realized game design in today's genre-melding melting pot of "everything but the kitchen sink" design philosophy.

you and the other gaffer are my soul bruddah!
whilst i loved 3 and 4, dragon quarter has so much to offer and does everything so differently from canon jrpg at that time...
sigh..
why crapcom, just why!

Dragon Quarter is anything but standard though. And one of the best JRPGs of all time, way ahead of the curve.

That's because people on GAF have exquisite taste.

But seriously, Dragon Quarter does so many things so much better than most JRPGs before (and after) it. It's like the Ultima 7 of JRPGs in terms of how far ahead of its time it was.

The problem with Dragon Quarter for me was the save system. Needing to use an item to save and having no means to purchase the saving item killed my desire to play this game.

So what exactly would be a good place to start in this series? I've been meaning to get into it, but I have no clue what the consensus is on what is considered the best.

Either way, I feel for BoF fans. Capcom needs to stop killing off their franchises.

Add me to the list of people who preferred Breath of Fire 1 to Breath of Fire II. I did recently play through it again a few months ago, loved it. Tried to play through BoF 2 after that but didn't get far. I always felt the series mainstay characters were better in the first. Better Ryu, Nina and Bo. Preferred Ox to Rand and so on. Also felt the dragon transformations were better in the first one.

So what exactly would be a good place to start in this series? I've been meaning to get into it, but I have no clue what the consensus is on what is considered the best.

Either way, I feel for BoF fans. Capcom needs to stop killing off their franchises.

Start with the first one.

scy

On the bright side, in another year the series can look back on itself and drink away its pain.

I miss you BoF ;_;

Arthea

Well, I liked 3rd most, but it would be better to start from second, it's an adorable little game.
There are some people in this very thread liking the first more, so, as it is a short game, you could start from it. I think 4th is must play too, especially if you'll like 1-2-3.

I remember 1 and 2 being extremely hard back in the day. I never played 3, 4 was decent and I really loved what they did with 5. We need a year of the Bo.

I think I played the 4th one on the PSX and I really enjoyed it. I didn't beat it yet but got to the middle of the game before I stopped. I really liked the character design of the characters.

Especially the dog samurai - Scias
1383097-scias_bof_iv.jpg

I hope I see another BOF game before next-gen comes so I can know that Capcom still cares.

mattp

i was about to link to the awesome bof3 article from gamespite, but it seems jeremy hasn't moved all the articles over to his new site yet :(

Well, I liked 3rd most, but it would be better to start from second, it's an adorable little game.
There are some people in this very thread liking the first more, so, as it is a short game, you could start from it. I think 4th is must play too, especially if you'll like 1-2-3.

I guess I'll start with the first game, then. I know my local Play N Trade carries it from time to time at a pretty good price.

Thanks for all the input!

I guess I'll start with the first game, then. I know my local Play N Trade carries it from time to time at a pretty good price.

Thanks for all the input!

After you beat the first, you can get the second one on the Wii Virtual Console for $8. Probably cheaper than seeking out the real cart.

I was thinking the 20th anniversary for the series was coming up soon the other day. Glad someone made a thread. I don't have much to add at the moment, other than I'd like to see another entry in the series, but it's unfortunately deader than dead. Ah well.

Terra_Ex

Another great series left by the wayside. A real shame too, loved the entire series (III & V being my favourites) but gave up a new entry many years ago.

After you beat the first, you can get the second one on the Wii Virtual Console for $8. Probably cheaper than seeking out the real cart.

I'm a bit of a collector, though, so if I can find a cart for a good price then I'll definitely go for it. But I may just end up biting the bullet and getting it on VC, since SNES prices in general have ballooned in the past few years.

On the note on a possible revival, please do not revive this series as a mobile card game Capcom...please don't do this, we want a proper RPG and don't want you to drag it down the Square Enix method...

Schlomo

I only played 2 and 5, liked them both.

5 is really unique in that it is quite tense and stressful, and I guess some people just don't like that in an RPG. I managed to clear it with only one restart early in the game. I'm not sure I would have completed it if I had run out of "time" close to the end.

KorrZ

Release BOFIII on US PSN, hell even Android/iOS and I will be happy Capcom.

One of my favourite JRPGs of all time. The death of this franchise is so sad.

Add me to the camp that prefers 1 over 2. 2 is by no means a bad game, but I just really preferred 1 more.

And Dragon Quarter is great. I liked it quite a bit, despite it being very different from the traditional BoFs.

Arthea

This thread makes me reflect on how and Suikoden and WA and BoF and VP were killed in one gen time. VP, WA and Suikoden at least had some spinoffs, BoF otoh... :(
Devs really must hate some of us, no?

Dragon Quarter is a true work of art but it's so different from the rest of the series (and indeed, pretty much every other RPG out there) that I can see how some longtime fans would dislike it.

Of the traditional BoFs, I think the general consensus is that 3 is the best, although 4 has its fair share of fans.

BadWolf

The problem with Dragon Quarter for me was the save system. Needing to use an item to save and having no means to purchase the saving item killed my desire to play this game.

Yup, its why I didn't finish either.

Ruined an otherwise great game for me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Loved BoF IV and Dragon Quarter. The first three were ok, but never resonated much with me.

Dragon Quarter isn't really my cup of tea, but I can genuinely appreciate the change in direction it took, and all of the mechanics it employed. I should give it another shot sometime, I might appreciate it more these days.

What I like about BoFI-III is that they revolve around
going against the main god, who has protected them over centuries. I like the one especially in III where Myria has good intentions and has fully protected the world from harm by sacrificing the Dragon clan. It's either you kill her and set the world free from her protection, or be under her forever.

It took me longer than I care to admit to realize what that mural at the beginning of III was depicting.

Fou-Lu

I think the first game I ever actually finished was Breath of Fire. (Or maybe Breath of Fire 2) Love the series, and I am incredibly sad to see it die. I think I own a copy of Dragon Quarter, but I haven't really played it.

BTW, BoF3 Ryu is best Ryu, BoF2 Nina is best Nina.

Wereroku

Love the series just picked up the complete works full size for a cool $55 so good times. 3 and 4 are my favorite but I just picked up a copy of 2 so should be interesting to try it. And really Dragon Quarter was different but still fun. Just hate that they restrict the Dragon Powers they were my favorite part of the series.

I didn't like Dragon Quarter the first time I tried it. Expectations definitely got in the way. I went back to it some years later and fell in love, though.

Hmm.... this gives me some hope... maybe I should try playing it again. I was very disappointed when I first played it, but I may have set the bar too much in the "direct sequel to 3 and 4" sorta way that I wanted it.

Arthea

I think the first game I ever actually finished was Breath of Fire. (Or maybe Breath of Fire 2) Love the series, and I am incredibly sad to see it die. I think I own a copy of Dragon Quarter, but I haven't really played it.

no doubt!
Also BoF3 has most interesting plot in series.

BTW who else was addicted to fishing?

I played 1 & 2 a bit lost some interest. I played Dragon Quarter back when I was 16 and sick. Hard as nails and take awhile to fully understand the mechanics. 100+ hours I didn't regret.

no doubt!
Also BoF3 has most interesting plot in series.

BTW who else was addicted to fishing?

Addicted? Not really, but it was definitely one of the more enjoyable side things to do. I agree it had the best plot of any of them, though having replayed it several times, I never get over how freaking dumb little girl Nina is. Glad she grew out of that shit.

Jawmuncher

Breath of Fire along with a million other titles just sitting unused in Capcoms vault.
Said it before and ill say it again. Capcom has so many high profile IPs that have been collecting dust for so long that bringing them back would almost be like having a new IP.

Dragon Quarter was quite a rewarding experience to play and that approaching it like any traditional JRPG at the time would only lead to frustation, I had to swallow the idea that I was going to die and restart a couple of times and that finishing the game on your first playthrough without restarting was going to be tough.

Aeana

Was the GBA version based on the original translation as well or was it retranslated? Cause I played BoF2 on the GBA, and can't remember if the translation was horrible cause I'm used to Engrish dialogue due to reading some of my elder siblings essay and assignments XD
The GBA one had the original translation.

This poster knows what's up.

4fe96e261f2a9b56172d51a1ac48bd35.jpg

Eidan

I'd love a BoFII remake if only to see more Nina II.

Also, fuck you Capcom for abandoning this series.

bought III on PSX on launch. tried to get into it several times, but never could.

finished Dragon Quarter twice. fantastic game with sweet soundtrack.

Yuterald

Love Breath of Fire. Been playing them since I was a kid. My personal favorites are Breath of Fire IV and Dragon Quarter, followed by III and then II & I. I've always considered Dragon Quarter to be a spiritual successor to Vagrant Story. It's such an untouchable game.

I'm in a camp that wouldn't want to see a modern day BoF game, however. With today's Capcom? No thanks. Is there anyone even there, director/producer-wise, that could make a respectable entry in the series? I always find it funny when people say things like, "I want Legend of Dragoon 2! Give me Alundra 3! Come on, Capcom, where's Breath of Fire!" Do you really want these games on name alone? It's the people who were involved with making the original games that made these games so great. Directors, producers, artists, composers, etc. are the most important things to worry about yet it seems like most people don't think about that shit when they want their beloved franchises to come back.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I liked the cast of 3, but I really hated that Teepo and Rei were underused for the sake of
time-travel and Teepo is another Dragon(?) that the God-Final-Boss wanted to pit against Ryu in a "fate battle"
or something like that. Memories fuzzy.

I started BoF4 when it was put up on PSN and kinda stopped. I should get back to it. If there's one thing the series (besides 5, anyway) has, it's beautiful for the time sprite graphics and art-style.

Top Bottom