• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew might have the most disgusting microtransactions in a full priced title yet

Why is anybody even giving this game the light of day? It's ugly as sin, the handling model is awful, Ubisoft have literally no racing pedigree, the physics are shite, the car selection isn't even that good, the voice acting stuff is awful and unnecessary, the sound design is average, it's 30fps and you can't even play it without an internet connection. I got booted from the beta because Ubi's servers are shit. And now I find out it's full of microtransactions.

Remind me again of the redeeming features of this game? Why not just get Forza Horizon 2 or Driveclub? Hell, if you wanna just drive cars around online with friends, Grand Theft Auto V has a better handling model than this pile of shit.

DavidDesu

Full priced titles really need to cool it on the overbearing micro-transactions! They shouldn't even be in the title at all but if they must make them for silly cosmetic items and make it very easy to ignore, or perhaps even completely switch off from ever seeing during gameplay. Ubisoft are my new EA.

Gotta catch 'em all.

steam4ac1f.jpg

Yeah I just read your giveaway thread.

On reflection however, if your library is valued at 40k or so, its not the most expensive hobby to have.

Also, good on you for sharing your account with someone who does play games. It be a shame for those games to not at least be played by someone.

I kind of just assume that stuff is going to be in a lot of games these days. If I really wanted The Crew it wouldn't stop me from buying the game, I just wouldn't buy any of these microtransactions. I think these are going to be the least of most people's complaints when the game actually comes out, though.

Ridiculous.

I just don't get why people keep buying Ubisoft's shitty games.
Rather than boycott an entire company I think the better move is to vote with your wallet by buying the good games they make and skipping the bad ones. Far Cry 4 is quite good I think.

Let's all start taking bets at how bad The Division will be

These will probably be purchases for things you can unlock normally just like most micro transactions but they're still a bit naughty.

After Watch Dogs, I've given up hope on The Division. See how ACU and potentially the Crew, turned out I'm positive The Division will fall short of their E3 demos and will be terrible

SerTapTap

I dunno if this would be enough.

They seem to survive infinite amounts of bad press this year. Who knows how much/if it's impacting the bottom line of course. May be more of a delayed thing, less interest in future titles. But goddamn they're awful.

Xater

Why is anybody even giving this game the light of day? It's ugly as sin, the handling model is awful, Ubisoft have literally no racing pedigree, the physics are shite, the car selection isn't even that good, the voice acting stuff is awful and unnecessary, the sound design is average, it's 30fps and you can't even play it without an internet connection. I got booted from the beta because Ubi's servers are shit. And now I find out it's full of microtransactions.

Remind me again of the redeeming features of this game? Why not just get Forza Horizon 2 or Driveclub? Hell, if you wanna just drive cars around online with friends, Grand Theft Auto V has a better handling model than this pile of shit.

GTA V not only has a better handling model it actually looks better as well. I still wanted to point out how disgusting this microtransaction stuff has become with this game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah I just read your giveaway thread.

On reflection however, if your library is valued at 40k or so, its not the most expensive hobby to have.

Also, good on you for sharing your account with someone who does play games. It be a shame for those games to not at least be played by someone.

Yeah, Enco himself "only" has around 160 games on Steam, and since he's in the UK he's roughly 8 or so hours behind me, so it's worked out well. I may do another giveaway if Valve ever relaxes the rules of Family Sharing.

I think as soon as you introduce something like this your design changes. Everything just takes a little bit longer to achieve. You don't introduce it for shits and giggles. If you had confidence in you design and progression people wouldn't feel the need to boost their progression in the first place, so something like this is not needed.

There are always going to be stupid people who just want to pay extra to get everything right now. Even with a perfectly designed progression system you will always have some people who want to give you extra money.

nikos

You don't have to use them, they're optional. I was doing just fine in previous betas without them. It's not something that's out of the ordinary these days.

Also, for those wondering, cars start to handle much better after upgrades and there are several steering settings you can tweak.

GTA V not only has a better handling model it actually looks better as well. I still wanted to point out how disgusting this microtransaction stuff has become with this game.
I genuinely think the PS3 version of GTAV looks better than the PS4 version of The Crew. Doesn't run quite as well, but still...

vesvci

Banned
Rather than boycott an entire company I think the better move is to vote with your wallet by buying the good games they make and skipping the bad ones. Far Cry 4 is quite good I think.

Eh, you may have a point. They seem to have done justice to both PS4 and XBO gamers by releasing a good game without short-changing the PS4 users.

I'm thinking more of this game and ACU, I guess.

Renzoku

Banned
I'm glad people are finally starting to have more volatile reactions to this kind of bullshit, I just wish a larger percent of the market had stated getting pissed off years ago at this shit.

I kind of just assume that stuff is going to be in a lot of games these days. If I really wanted The Crew it wouldn't stop me from buying the game, I just wouldn't buy any of these microtransactions. I think these are going to be the least of most people's complaints when the game actually comes out, though.

I agree 100% with this sentiment. I don't think boycotting the whole company is a good idea, *IF* there are good games that need support to show they should keep making them in that way.

I think FC4 is awesome and want more of that, I totally will not touch an online only micro transactions disaster that the crew is sounding like it will turn out to be.

Nibel

Haven't seen a thread for this

We also know that many of you will be eager to turn to experts for their professional advice. You want to read how the pros feel after their carefully considered road tests of The Crew. While we totally understand (hey, we read reviews, too!), The Crew was built from the beginning to be a living playground full of driving fans, so it’s only possible to assess our game in its entirety with other real players in the world. And by other, we mean thousands and thousands and thousands of players – something that can’t be simulated with a handful of devs playing alongside the press.

For this very reason, The Crew will be available to media to begin their reviews when the game launches on December 2. There will be absolutely no embargo on any type of coverage once the game is available for sale.

http://blog.ubi.com/the-crew-road-tested/

Revven

Worst publisher of the year?

Worst publisher of the year.

I think they're going to be in the running for sure. Between AC: Unity's disastrous launch + microtransactions and this Ubi is really going south -- they're fast becoming the next EA.

jpax

Not using the micro transactions does nothing. Only not buying is a solution. If you buy a game with micro transactions you support micro transactions.

Theman2k

I think I hate Ubisoft as I hate EA at this point.
I also hate Activision too, not as much though.

Three companies that grew way over control by general uninformed public, that sees money way above everything else including values that s
CREW
s consumers. And they are doing everything to sell popular titles every year no matter what.
Even if the game is downright broken or not fun.

And using DLC as extra cash flow for those yearly titles, even if most of them are created half baked just to get it out of the door!

Goddammit.gif

Teriaaaaa!

Neo Member
I think they're going to be in the running for sure. Between AC: Unity's disastrous launch + microtransactions and this Ubi is really going south -- they're fast becoming the next EA.

Honestly EA have managed to keep themselves out of trouble this year next to Ubisoft, and you have to actively try to be worse than EA.

LtOrange

I am getting really nervous for The Division. I hope all these microtransactions bomb and Ubi quickly reevaluates their strategy going forward.

joecanada

Hard to argue with that for sure but I will play devils advocate a bit and point out that gta online is pretty grindy with microtransaction too, or was when I was on

It's a shame the game is turning out this way. On paper, it should be a great open world racer, and everything Test Drive Unlimited 2 wasn't, but with everything bogging it down, I'm not sure if it's even worth renting.

I was hoping The Crew would be a decent answer for PS4 owners wanting something similar to Forza Horizon 2. Too bad. :(

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Another reason to avoid this. As if the awful graphics, terrible handling and use of Ubisoft's tired open-world formula weren't enough already.

Ubisoft can track how many people actually use the microtransactions vs. how many play the game, you know. If the MTs don't make much money, they could take that as a message to try something else.

Whilst that is probably true, even a small percentage of people using MT's will be deemed a success. And you KNOW there will be people that use them, not buying the game is probably the only message they will get.

Orayn

Not using the micro transactions does nothing. Only not buying is a solution. If you buy a game with micro transactions you support micro transactions.

Ubisoft can track how many people actually use the microtransactions vs. how many play the game, you know. If the MTs don't make much money, they could take that as a message to try something else. (Knowing Ubisoft, however, that 'something else' could be just as bad or worse.)

Danneee

Well, the first gameplay from the game looked like shit. I guess Ubi figured they should just base the game around shitty stuff.

jpax

Ubisoft can track how many people actually use the microtransactions vs. how many play the game, you know. If the MTs don't make much money, they could take that as a message to try something else. (Knowing Ubisoft, however, that 'something else' could be just as bad or worse.)

No they wont, and you know it. Not using MT is only a reason for them to tweak the system even more, make it even more mandatory. Not using MT? Only equals to making the hook better.
The money they deserve is spend with buying the game, everything extra is, well, extra. And this is basically free extra money with no effort and it compromises the design choices made.
Just stop buying games which have MT in them.

Instro

Open world games are very conducive to this sort of fuckery too, which is why there are so many of them now.

shandy706

Gotta catch 'em all.

steam4ac1f.jpg

Crazy thing to me is how many you have installed vs own!!

I'm not at home, but I think I have around 110-120 games installed (out of a few hundred) on Steam not including non-steam games that are also installed. 95% of them full fledged releases (aka not indie style).

I've considered installing my entire Library for the heck of it a few times.

Edit** I see you share all those games. Nice

On Topic

This sounds 1000x worse than Forza 5. (I never did have to grind in that game, and I owned it from day one)

joecanada

No they wont, and you know it. Not using MT is only a reason for them to tweak the system even more, make it even more mandatory. Not using MT? Only equals to making the hook better.
The money they deserve is spend with buying the game, everything extra is, well, extra. And this is basically free extra money with no effort and it compromises the design choices made.

Ya its tough to say which route they'd go but with ubisoft track record I'd reckon you are right, they would simply find a way to try coerce you into buying said MTS not remove them

Ubisoft went from a publisher I actually liked a good bit 2 years ago to a company I now cannot stand at all. I like EA more than them, like, much more. It's disturbing.

I kinda liked them even a year ago with ZombiU and Rayman Legends etc.

But they´ve become .....EA-2 in less than a year.

Orayn

I have no interest in The Crew, but I think I'll keep buying the games I want and deliberately ignoring your advice because your priorities aren't mine.

jpax

Ya its tough to say which route they'd go but with ubisoft track record I'd reckon you are right, they would simply find a way to try coerce you into buying said MTS not remove them

I do not understand what is "tough to say"? We do know what happened with DLC , pre-order nonsense and so forth. There is no alternative for them in a business standpoint. Again if you buy games with MT in it, you are OK with MT in full priced games.
The solution is not the same as for DLC, there you can say not buying them sends a message. Here you bought the game and sent the message. Not using MT is just as buying DLC but not using it. Why should they care? You bought it.

I have no interest in The Crew, but I think I'll keep buying the games I want and deliberately ignoring your advice because your priorities aren't mine.

Well if you like MT in full priced games, there really is no argument... Of course you should buy the things you like.
Oh and what priorities?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Crazy thing to me is how many you have installed vs own!!

I'm not at home, but I think I have around 110-120 games installed (out of a few hundred) on Steam not including non-steam games that are also installed. 95% of them full fledged releases (aka not indie style).

I've considered installing my entire Library for the heck of it a few times.

Before I caught the collecting bug, I had everything installed, but that gradually grew impractical. I had a dedicated 2TB drive for Steam (and other games, because despite my, well, preference, I'm not against other services if need be), but that drive died the other week, and then the drive I re-installed Steam to died, and then my SSD died. I have really shitty luck, haha.

Top Bottom