• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew might have the most disgusting microtransactions in a full priced title yet

SmokyDave

The thing that really bums me out about this game is the online only bit. I can deal with MT by ignoring them, but I won't be able to play the game in a year or two when they inevitably kill the servers. That fucking sucks.

shandy706

Before I caught the collecting bug, I had everything installed, but that gradually grew impractical. I had a dedicated 2TB drive for Steam (and other games, because despite my, well, preference, I'm not against other services if need be), but that drive died the other week, and then the drive I re-installed Steam to died, and then my SSD died. I have really shitty luck, haha.

Time for one of these (from another thread). Haha

5TB eHDD
I know a lot of people will be buying games and are gonna run out of space, so here is a great amazon offer
$139 for 5 TB

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The thing that really bums me out about this game is the online only bit. I can deal with MT by ignoring them, but I won't be able to play the game in a year or two when they inevitably kill the servers. That fucking sucks.

Yeah, all of Ubi's games released within the past few years heavily integrate "social" elements via Uplay. If you're a "trophy whore" or whatever, best not dilly-dally, because don't expect Ubi to support its white elephant forever.

Time for one of these (from another thread). Haha

Oh wow, that's tempting. Thanks for the heads-up.

SmokyDave

Yeah, all of Ubi's games released within the past few years heavily integrate "social" elements via Uplay. If you're a "trophy whore" or whatever, best not dilly-dally, because don't expect Ubi to support its white elephant forever.
I couldn't give two shits about trophies or uplay achievements, but I wish I had faith that I'll be able to play the game a few years down the line.

They ought to be obliged by law to patch out all the online stuff when they kill the servers. That, or be forced to put a huge 'THIS IS A SHORT TERM LEASE' on the cover.

Soooo did anyone point out that Most Wanted already did that at the start of the 360 generation?

Damn Ubisoft, always stealing credit from other publishers hard work.

_woLf

A real shame because out of the big 3 racers I played at PAX this year (DC, Horizon 2, Crew) it was definitely the one I enjoyed the most.

Ubisoft, what the fuck are you doing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I couldn't give two shits about trophies or uplay achievements, but I wish I had faith that I'll be able to play the game a few years down the line.

They ought to be obliged by law to patch out all the online stuff when they kill the servers. That, or be forced to put a huge 'THIS IS A SHORT TERM LEASE' on the cover.

Haha, yeah. In semi-recent games the "social" component could be ignored (e.g. Black Flag just had the fleet mini-game and some mundane collectables), but Unity is heavily intertwined with Uplay to the point where, if it weren't for the fact that co-op missions could be played solo, you'd be missing a sizeable chunk without it. And that's the annoying thing -- the more Ubi insists upon Uplay, the more its games will suffer in the long run.

And it will still sell like there's no tomorrow.

Will it? There's like zero hype behind this game.

Was thinking about getting it as my free game for my 970 via the deal thats on now as Unity and Far Cry have major issues, but now I hear this is filled with micro transactions... Ugh. Which thing is more likely to get fixed first, if at all?

Bricky

At this point it's like Ubisoft is actively trying to ruin their reputation. A shame, really. They used to be one of the more likable AAA publishers and decided to throw all their goodwill in the shitter and become the new EA when it comes to greed and anti-consumerism.

hatchx

Banned
I think.....I think I'm done with Ubisoft.

Really goes to show how talent can turn into something terrible with corporate greed.

The company disgusts me so much I don't even want to support them.

Anung

Un Rama
I was playing the beta today and shitty business practices aside the game isn't very good. On that alone I can see why they are keeping the press from reviewing the game till after the fact.

In my impressions video the best way I could some the game up was "Imagine if Aiden Pearce was a car" it has all the incestuousness of an ubi title.

BPoole

I think.....I think I'm done with Ubisoft.

Really goes to show how talent can turn into something terrible with corporate greed.

The company disgusts me so much I don't even want to support them.
Yeah, I'm done with Ubisoft due to Far Cry 4's stuttering. I am in awe on how quickly they went from "bad" to shit tier. EA looks like normal assholes compared to Ubisoft these days

Mugatu

I really hope that this and AC:U do poorly enough for Ubisoft to reconsider this microtransaction crap.

Kayant

Yep... You need MT for fast travel if am not mistaken right??

Edit -

No, not in the beta. Given that all the CC stuff is in there, I can't see that changing.

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, they've really improved the handling in this latest version (using sport handling, not the god awful assist mode).

Oh good still having performance parts tied to MT and from the sounds of it the economy getting affected by the MT model is terrible in a full priced game.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
You don't have to use them, they're optional. I was doing just fine in previous betas without them. It's not something that's out of the ordinary these days.

It's not out of the ordinary only because people accept them.

Also, for those wondering, cars start to handle much better after upgrades and there are several steering settings you can tweak.

Great. Like most road cars? I know for a fact that every car on the road handles like shit until you upgrade it.

/s

SmokyDave

Yep... You need MT for fast travel if am not mistaken right??
No, not in the beta. Given that all the CC stuff is in there, I can't see that changing.

Great. Like most road cars? I know for a fact that every car on the road handles like shit until you upgrade it.

/s
Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, they've really improved the handling in this latest version (using sport handling, not the god awful assist mode).

MrBali

Neo Member
Good to know, but I doubt that it's any different than what EA is offering with their games like the shortcut pack of Battlefield or quick unlock for cars on Need for Speed. If that's the case it won't really affect anyone much. Normal gameplay would eventually unlock everything. Disgusting? Definitely but it's nothing new.

Chabbles

It's all about how it's implemented. As long as the game's progression doesn't feel like it was built to encourage micro transactions like a f2p game, I don't have much of a problem with it.

I was in the beta they had afew weeks back, and the grind to save up for a Skyline before any customization, was crazy. Cant imagine what sort of grind you'd have to go through for a supercar.

MrBali

Neo Member
I was in the beta they had afew weeks back, and the grind to save up for a Skyline before any customization, was crazy. Cant imagine what sort of grind you'd have to go through for a supercar.

That's really dissapointing hope they fix it before the game comes out.

This terrible practice continues until people stop buying the games and/or micro transactions.

Until then, expect it to continue.

ViciousDS

Banned
Does it take a lot of grinding to get the items without paying real money? That was the problem with Forza 5 - before updates it took an incredibly long time to get that $120 car without paying all that money.

Every new car you buy has to be grinded with old skill challenges you have possibly already done. Parts you unlock do not count towards other cars and all the cars start at a base level of 1, 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50. It's tedious as fuck....that means every time you buy a new car you have to do challenge missions till you get all gold parts at the max level. Cars that start at level/rank 10 cannot however gain parts at lower levels and you must do challenges at level 10 or higher (makes sense).

Every new car you buy has to be grinded with old skill challenges you have possibly already done. Parts you unlock do not count towards other cars and all the cars start at a base level of 1, 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50. It's tedious as fuck....that means every time you buy a new car you have to do challenge missions till you get all gold parts at the max level. Cars that start at level/rank 10 cannot however gain parts at lower levels and you must do challenges at level 10 or higher (makes sense).

This not only destroys my desire to play the game but also my will to live.

it really blows my mind that people see games like this and say "this looks like a great deal for $60, these are the business practices i want to see more of in my games. DAY 1!". seriously fuck the people that buy games with these shit practices. game hardly sounds like its worth $60 retail.

geordiemp

Gettig tired of the grind in too many games.

I want to play a new game every few weeks, not have to grind or pay money to unlock things...Destiny should have less grind

and micro transactions just make the non paying grind no better than Destiny.

Luckily there are plenty of other good games to play...

Skunkers

Didn't somebody call this in that "Ubi finds a loophole in no review embargo" thread we just had? That it would be ridiculous microtransactions.

how long until the "apology" and the patch that makes it easier to unlock the shit that cost real money?

January? March?

I think the game will be on clearance by then.

jwk94

So I just gave this The Crew open beta a shot. Ignoring me not enjoying this game at all (swimmy controls, looks bad on PS4, bland environment etc.) the microtransactions in this look disgusting.

The very first moment you get to spend money in this game you will notice that there are dollars you can spend on stuff and so called "Crew Credits" (short CC). A secondary currency you can get for real money. You can pay for stuff with these CC EVERYWHERE. From cars, to upgrades, to paint jobs or even perk points.

I know we had a thread about Ubisoft announcing that the game had microtransactions but seeing this in person is just absolutely disgusting. It's basically a F2P title they are selling at full price.

How much have you actually played? I've gone through the beta twice now and never once did I feel that those crew dollars or whatever they're referred to were necessary. You can do just fine without them.

jwk94

Does it take a lot of grinding to get the items without paying real money? That was the problem with Forza 5 - before updates it took an incredibly long time to get that $120 car without paying all that money.

No, it doesn't but of course that's going to be overlooked in this thread.

I haven't bought a Ubisoft game since Rayman Origins, so i'm doing my part guys. I fucking hate this company and refuse to support anything they do unless absolutely necessary! Rayman was a work of art so no regrets there.

I remember I started to take notice of Ubi when the original Splinter Cell came out and they've gone to absolute shit! Definately worse than EA imo. All the special editions and microtransaction games they release would be embarrassing to any of the actual devs there.

Top Bottom