• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Darkness II |OT| Mike Patton will eat your heart OUT!

Kritz

Banned
Got finished with it on normal. Took about five hours. I spent a good deal of time squeezing out content by talking to everyone I could, and looking over environmental detail. Died about three times.

Impressions:

The game lasted exactly as long as it should have. Anything longer would have done a disservice to the complexity of the game and the involvement of the story. I'd already maxed out one of the trees about halfway in, and the game didn't really ever evolve from a mechanical perspective. I was still having fun by the end of the game, which is the important thing.

The story has some pretty interesting turns in it, and in that regard it's a worthy successor to The Darkness 1. (minor spoilers)
It finds an acceptable analog to The Darkness 1's World War I subplot, and the two converge nicely by the climax.
It has a kind of (slightly bigger spoiler)
Matrix feel to it - blue pill, red pill kind of thing. It's pretty similar to that one Animatrix story about the skateboarding kid in highschool
. A lot of people will find the story to be extremely stupid, so if you're not expecting some weird ass comic book left field kinda goings on, you won't be too happy.

In terms of bad things, um. It has a very consoley feel on the PC. A FOV about ten degrees higher than terrible, some muddy textures, atrocious controls, you no longer see your body while in first person / looking down, you don't just pick up a million guns and throw each one away as it runs out of ammo (which was a really, really cool thing Darkness 1 did). You're thrown back to the start of a tech tree and have to re-earn all the powers from the first Darkness, though there's a few new tricks to be had. The slashing attack no longer auto-tagets lights. The range on your darkness powers is pretty small. The graphical style is intentionally worse - both technically and artistically - which is a real shame considering how good Darkness 1 looked on consoles. I never got used to the new voice actor, to the point where I thought the bad guys were talking to me when Jackie was actually talking to himself.

I dunno if people should buy this game. It's not an offensive sequel, and in fact, it's pretty good. Newcommers should wait for a sale, I guess. Darkness 2 is all about the story, so if you're expecting to just kill dudes for five hours you're kinda missing the point.

Kritz

Banned
Can anyone remind me the correct value for FoV on a PC? Was it 90, while most games have it set to 70-75?

90 is a good middle ground.

I prefer 110, but that's just me. Most games go all fish-eyed when you stretch it that high, though.

The Darkness 2 feels like it's around 70-55. Almost as bad as Call of Jaurez: Cartel.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
No reward for shooting all the pigeons? What is this? Fuck you!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One odd thing I've noticed is that the game features excellent per object motion blur but only enables it during certain levels. I'm not sure why they are so inconsistent with it as it looks fantastic.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm super-impressed by some of the story stuff in this game. I'm currently in the middle of the cemetery level.

Some of the beats this is hitting feel like end-game drama.

I haven't played The Darkness, but this is pretty damn good.

-PXG-

I'm super-impressed by some of the story stuff in this game. I'm currently in the middle of the cemetery level.

Some of the beats this is hitting feel like end-game drama.

I haven't played The Darkness, but this is pretty damn good.
Play the first game damnit

S1kkZ

just finished it, took me about 6 1/2 hours on normal (360).

the game has some issues but overall its pretty awesome.
gunplay feels great, story is well told and executed, graphics look pretty nice (aside from some slowdown in one area).

the story is the strong point of the game, its really good.

omg awesome double sided poster inside the case.

IMG_20120207_130701.jpg

IMG_20120207_130719.jpg

it's pretty big too.
I'm enjoying the game so far. Too early to tell really how it compares to the first, but it's definitely fun as hell playing through the levels.
Just got the game and this looks SO impressive in person. It's HUGE.

Also, DAT 3D cover.

grendelrt

Just finished my first play through on the second hardest difficulty (6.4 hours). Man that was fun, really enjoyed the game. That ending, oh man that was badass.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'm playing on difficulty level three and the light guys are giving me so much trouble. In the cemetery, there's a room where a shield guy and a light charge you at the same time and I can never get the light guy quick enough. It seems like his light takes more hits than normal to break.

grendelrt

Man, I'm playing on difficulty level three and the light guys are giving me so much trouble. In the cemetery, there's a room where a shield guy and a light charge you at the same time and I can never get the light guy quick enough. It seems like his light takes more hits than normal to break.

If you have the swarm ability you can use it to make him drop his shield and then lay into him. I didnt have swarm until after that stage and it came in really handy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If you have the swarm ability you can use it to make him drop his shield and then lay into him. I didnt have swarm until after that stage and it came in really handy.

It's actually my next planned upgrade. Alas.

I would have been super pissed if I had bought this game, but I always rent first. Woo! It was a really fun game and i enjoyed killing people in the various ways. But damn this game was short I couldn't believe it. What was up with all the free roam business in the penthouse? Just scoot me to the next level already.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I'm playing the PC version and the game is really fun but it lacks the feeling of the first one (I miss the subway and the streets of NYC :[). All in all I have no complaints except for the ridiculous default FOV and the non existing IA, the game is too easy on maximum difficulty. Also I'm 4 hours in and I think I'm almost at the end, very short single player campaign if this is the case.

Model 1887 and MP7 are so beast in this game. :)

I prefer single gun over dual wielding in this game. I'm going through a second playthrough to see the different choices in the game.

I don't particularly see anything wrong with that conversation other than maybe being a little too harsh on the CM? But it is obvious she is just relaying lies that the team said and PR bullshit is super fucking annoying. There is no reason there cannot be an FOV slider (even though it is not a big issue for me personally). I probably would react the same way honestly, I really hate hearing "well that would be uh impossible" responses to things that would probably be a couple hours or less fixes.

jediyoshi

Wow, finished the main game and was ready to write a review up. Dipped into Vendetta real quick thinking it was just a throwaway game mode and jesus did they put some work into it. At most I was thinking they'd remix/recycle the campaign levels but everything looks to be unique so far and the buttload of new dialogue/unique weapons is great. Recorded some gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6K2KVOHzuk&hd=1

Nice of them to have allowed it to be played singleplayer, haven't had a lot of luck with multiplayer.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Playing on PC, it's not a very good game so far (I'm at the rail shooter horror show part). If you want an FPS in this style I'd recommend Singularity instead, it was a little more moody and inventive within its generic framework and didn't have loads of boring and pointless instances like all the returns to the mansion in this game (or was that a failed attempt to care about its dodgy characters?). Oh well.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I missed a lot of atmospheric things about the first one that made that game great, and the ability to crush dudes with cars. Those were probably my two favorite things about The Darkness, so I miss them. :(

The Darkness 2 is still a pretty great game. Short, but the gameplay is a blast. Not as involving as the first, but more polished and quick. I can see myself replaying both games in a weekend in a year or so.

edit: Yeah, the Darkness 2 is a lot more fun than Singularity in general.

Q8D3vil

Playing on PC, it's not a very good game so far (I'm at the rail shooter horror show part). If you want an FPS in this style I'd recommend Singularity instead, it was a little more moody and inventive within its generic framework and didn't have loads of boring and pointless instances like all the returns to the mansion in this game (or was that a failed attempt to care about its dodgy characters?). Oh well.

i only played 1.5 hour of darkness 2 but its at least 5 times better than singularity game (which i finished thanks to the awesome 3d effects :D).

darkness 2 is a much much better game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
i only played 1.5 hour of darkness 2 but its at least 5 times better than singularity game (which i finished thanks to the awesome 3d effects :D).

darkness 2 is a much much better game.
I wish I agreed.

Edit: finished it. Stupid ending sequence. 6 hrs so it's more or less the same length as Singularity, but I guess the latter lacks any replayable modes like Vendettas. Which I just tried and doubt I'll be going back to however so, eh, Singularity is still better imo.

It started flatlining for me about halfway through (and no, it's not 4 hours long). Played it on a rental and I don't see myself going back to finish it any time soon. Looks and sounds incredible, though.

-PXG-

So apparently DE put some clever DRM in this game. Those who pirate the game will have blood and gore disabled. Then again, pretty much anything can be cracked. Still, that's pretty funny.

derFeef

So apparently DE put some clever DRM in this game. Those who pirate the game will have blood and gore disabled. Then again, pretty much anything can be cracked. Still, that's pretty funny.

That's too weak to be funny and/or effective. Should have made the demons look like ponys or something.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I just finished the game.

The first half was definitely the highlight for me, when it was all raw potential. I don't feel like it was all necessarily made good on.

I got fed up with the gunfights during the carnival and notched it down to normal, before later notching it down to easy.

I'm impressed with what DE did with this game, but it felt like all setup and no pay-off for me. Unforgivably short, too.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I played the demo, tried going in with some sort of hope, but I can't stand how generic and boring the subway scene was. They turned the first game's subway, which was pretty much symbolic, in some lame shootout part. Other than that it seemed to be only hectic shooting with some cinematic flavour dropped on it. Didn't seem worth 60 to me so I'll wait it out until it's 20 or less. I do want to see the story play out but the actual game seems kinda ehh

-PXG-

If you're itching for more, play vendettas mode with friends or solo. It will give you a little bit more play time.

Again, Patton was so much better in the first game. I'm near the end of the first WWI segment now. So much more range, and just more lines too. The Darkness is truly creepy in the first game. In the second game, I don't get that same sense of discomfort whenever it talks.

Tokubetsu

If you're itching for me, play vendettas mode with friends or solo. It will give you a little bit more play time.

Again, Patton was so much better in the first game. I'm near the end of the first WWI segment now. So much more range, and just more lines too. The Darkness is truly creepy in the first game. In the second game, I don't get that same sense of discomfort whenever it talks.

Yea, thats the big hurt against it for sure. Darkness in the first game sounded like it was coming from the back of your skull, like it really was an evil voice/presence in your head. Helped that Patton killed every line they gave him and it was much more "creeping" (with bursts & fits of blinding rage) darkness than what we have now. Which is just kinda ragey all the time.

LOZLINK

Just finished it.
Anyone know what happens *Near end game spoilers*
if you don't jump off the asylum when given the choice

Zimbardo

so how much is this game worth? i'm assuming that its not worthy of the $49.99 ...so what would be more appropriate?

$39
$29
$19

?

its on sale for $37 on Green Man Gaming's website right now.

~Kinggi~

Banned
so how much is this game worth? i'm assuming that its not worthy of the $49.99 ...so what would be more appropriate?

$39
$29
$19

?

It would be nice for people to support the game now as it turned out well, but given the length people are reporting i suspect it will hit 40 soon and then hover in the 30-40 range for a bit.

Echoes

$39
$29
$19

?

To each his own, and one could argue how much-less games give more playtime, but to me, the single player was so focused and didn't have filler at all. I loved Bulletstorm, as the gameplay was intense all the time, but I had to take some breaks in my game sessions. In here, I finished it in almost one sit (took a lunch break) because the pacing was so darn good; it doesn't have that semi-open world of the first game, but the tuned-down sections were well done. Some people don't love the mansion parts, but that doesn't make sense as you can go to your mission right away if you want to. While in the first game it had World War I/Hell-esque place, the second game has another setting which I found to be philosophically engaging and pleases that side of me.

I finished it on Hard (3rd difficulty) and it took me around 7 hours. I have yet to play the co-op, but I enjoyed every single minute with this game. Don't care that it's short; it destroy TONS of other shooters that throw a bunch of shitty filler at you for the sake of stretching the game. A well-focused campaign is ten times better IMO.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
But see, that's my problem with the game. For such a short game, I definitely felt like some of the levels just stretched on and on without too much variation.

pakkit

Banned
So the verdict on the story is that it's comparable to the original? Because the narrative and the way it unfolded was the best part of the original without a doubt.

Top Bottom