• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Nemesis_

That's honestly the part that makes me really apprehensive to do a Classic Mode run. XD;

That part I don't think is terrible, but GOD was it hard on Nightmare and I can only imagine the difficulty on Classic. Given they do supply you up right before the encounter and you have an easy save point right before it, but fuck that must be hard un-upgraded with Nightmare difficulty level enemies.

That section does look really cool, though.

Honestly, the ammo isn't the issue. Between her ammo pouch and the drops along the way I am pretty much set. It's just INCREDIBLY easy to get overwhelmed by these fast hitting enemies in this tiny space.

And then the moments where you do really well you fuck something else up like accidently walking into the fire or something.

It's incredibly frustrating. The cabin moment with Seb and Joseph on AKUMU was previously one of my most MIND NUMBINGLY SHITTY moments in the original game. I don't think this tops it, but it's pretty close.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Gbraga

Classic is easier but it isn't as enjoyable as all the main skills that expand on the gameplay are gated off (predator, ambush).

More games should go the Kingdom Hearts way. Casual shouldn't be the difficulty that comes with some skills already unlocked, it should be Classic.

Shit's hard as fuck, but you also get an advantage. That's the most fun kind of challenge.

Like playing Souls in RTSR range, any hit and you're dead, but God help the bosses when you get a clean hit on them. They're losing some health.

BadWolf

More games should go the Kingdom Hearts way. Casual shouldn't be the difficulty that comes with some skills already unlocked, it should be Classic.

Shit's hard as fuck, but you also get an advantage. That's the most fun kind of challenge.

Like playing Souls in RTSR range, any hit and you're dead, but God help the bosses when you get a clean hit on them. They're losing some health.

That parry damage on Revengeance difficulty in MGR...

Neiteio

Man, I keep thinking about Ch. 11, the boss of which I defeated last night. The boss was tough and used up all my resources (I don't have the
lv. 3 smoke bolt
, which apparently would've made it easier), but it was so satisfying to bring him down with a final
sneak attack when I was out of ammo
. The intro and outro cutscenes to the fight were well-choreographed with neat character moments. There was great art direction throughout the fight, with the visual of
the masked Harbinger coming down the hall looking for you while you're crouching against cover
being especially memorable. It was essentially a more intense and involving take on
MGS3's The Fury

Everything that preceded that fight was memorable as well.
The laboratories
are a very unsettling place to explore, and I did some slooooooooowly, with extreme caution. And the
third ghost encounter
was simply inspired with the
rearranging pathways
. Definitely among my favorite sections of the game so far. I also like how each NPC seems to be getting at least several scenes in this game (i.e.
Hoffman, Torres, O'Neal, etc
). They don't feel throwaway.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Super early game spoilers:

"Beacon... I can't be back..."

And then the game goes with this dumb aspect ratio with black bars on top and bottom... just like the original game forced you to have those. Was this intended?

Gbraga

And then the game goes with this dumb aspect ratio with black bars on top and bottom... just like the original game forced you to have those. Was this intended?

Of course. :D

Seriously one of the coolest things in the game so far.

level1

Of course.

It is the ultimate reward

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

Haha yeah noticed the same as soon as it happened.
It was great!!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
On chapter 7 now and still enjoying the game, maxed out stamina and recovery speed so that's one annoyance severely reduced, now I can start putting points into fun stuff. After 7 hours my impressions are:

+ Very enjoyable combat system
+ Good crafting system
+ Great mob design
+ Side missions don't feel like filler content
- Generic voice acting
- Awful PC port
- Bit too much running from A to B with nothing in between
- So the story is basically
The Matrix
?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Question: is it "safe" to upgrade the handgun or should I wait until another "better" handgun shows up ala RE4?

BadWolf

Question: is it "safe" to upgrade the handgun or should I wait until another "better" handgun shows up ala RE4?

Like mentioned above, by upgrading one gun you are upgrading whatever you get in the future as well.

The gun is really good in this game. Get the critical shot upgrade asap and aim for the head/weak spot. Even bosses get staggered.

Sanctuary

- So the story is basically
The Matrix
?

Same as the first. Although it could also be seen a bit like
Inception
too I suppose.

Like mentioned above, by upgrading one gun you are upgrading whatever you get in the future as well.

The gun is really good in this game. Get the critical shot upgrade asap and aim for the head/weak spot. Even bosses get staggered.

Yeah, upgrade it because of how awesome everyone else keeps saying it is, and about how criticals blow heads off, while they forget about all of the times it doesn't, and flat out has no stopping power compared to practically everything else. I had nowhere else to put my leftoever crafting parts, so I put them all into the handgun, even though I already knew how bad it was. It was fully upgraded. Did the Chapter 13 fire walk section, and with Synaptic Focus, a total of three enemies ended up with their heads blown off before having to shoot them at least four times each. Meanwhile, a level 3 harpoon takes their heads clean off in one shot and a shotgun in two.

Gbraga

Feels great to hit a weak spot while they're rushing at you.

BadWolf

Yeah, upgrade it because of how awesome everyone else keeps saying it is, and about how criticals blow heads off, while they forget about all of the times it doesn't, and flat out has no stopping power compared to practically everything else.

So you wanted them to give you 100% rate critical shot with a weapon that has the most abundant ammo and cheapest crafting requirements?

It's balanced this way. Either way, for something that was supposed to have a 30% chance of occurring, it was happening extremely often for me. A ton more than I expected when I saw that percentage, and how this stuff usually works out in games. It was critical head shot galore for me more often than not.

Feels great to hit a weak spot while they're rushing at you.

Yeah, so satisfying.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Inception
too I suppose.

I only played like 2 - 3 hours of the first, after enjoying this one I do plan to give it another try at some point.

sphinx

the piano man
regarding the shooting gallery, are there different shooting galleries through the game with different levels and rewards or are the prices once per playthrough?

Yoshichan

Thanks guys.

Also, there's this small tree plank standing in the way of me and loot... I tried cutting it down, shooting it, nothing... what's up?

Just gives you a good chunk of green gel. Around 5K IIRC.

I did it and immediately reloaded a save as I realized it is not worth it. 5k green gel for bunch of resources is not a good deal.

I did it because I thought I could get the trophy from that lol.

Thing is, I thought it was a one and done deal after I killed it. But apparently it came back in one of the alley ways... I get the feeling it would keep coming back :v

Killed her twice.
3500 each time on normal.

Not really worth it, but i enjoyed killing her.

Does she come back a third time?

UrbanRats

Does she come back a third time?

It's
not that she comes back, it's that she spawns at those body piles.
I found 2 more aside from the first scripted one.
She came back at the second, but didn't at the third (3 molotov guy were running in circles around it, lol).
So i'm not sure if there's some other pile i missed.

I could only get her to come the two times.

Not quite sure how anyone could label this as "not scary", the constant tension and everything is happening all the time makes every second scary as hell (at least so far, doing side stuff in episode 3).

Like, run into a
snow ghost
and surprise you are now
constantly followed by the said ghost what the hell

Managed to put a good amount of time into the game. Chapter 3 is pretty great but I'm debating how much of the optional stuff I want to do. Got all the weapons. Is there any point in going after the rest of the points of interest?

Combat is feeling better to me now too. It's very different from the first game but managing multiple enemies isn't too bad. I just put distance between myself and the enemies immediately and then pop their heads. The enemies range on their attacks seem a bit off to me though and fighting in close quarters still feels bad.

Yoshichan

So what are the weakpoints for the talent points? Regular zombies = head, I guess?

GavinUK86

Phew! I've just finished the game on PC.

That was a pretty satisfying ending. I like the little tease post-credits. Disappointed there was no Ruvik though. I was sure he was going to pop up somewhere near the end. I get the sense they have no idea what to do with him or what the first game insinuated so they just ignored it.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. More so than the first. The gameplay was just more refined imo so everything gelled together better. Apart from the hammy writing/acting in places, it was a good ride.

If there weren't so many other games out now, and coming out very soon, I'd probably replay it on NG+ and get the couple of collectibles I missed. Maybe after xmas.

So the story is basically
The Matrix
?

Inception
too I suppose.

Yeah. I'd say the first is pretty
Matrix-like
but this one definitely feels more like
Inception

Top Bottom