• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

That ending was some cheesy bullshit, lol.

I'm honestly surprised they went with a pretty much unambiguously happy ending. Seb and Lily are free, Kidman is free, Jospeh is apparently alive somewhere, Mobius seems to be fucked and the only real sequel hook was extremely vague and non-committal. Was it implying that Union is still around? Or that the STEM machine still worked? I mean, it's kind of pointless either way given that they are hidden away in a super secret secure facility created by a group that apparently could remain secret from everyone forever. And everyone involved who knew about it is dead, or has no reason to come looking. I just doesn't seem like there is really anywhere else for the story to go, short of digging Ruvik back up again. And that would be super contrived, the way things are now.

Also I sure hope that Sykes was quick on the draw with getting his chip out, if he even made it out of STEM. Gotta suck to survive Union and win the russian roulette of the escape pod just to get your brain broken in half a few hours later.

Gbraga

So what are the weakpoints for the talent points? Regular zombies = head, I guess?

The head is sort of a universal weak point for the regular folks, but you've probably noticed that each of them has some growth, some sort of deformed area somewhere in their body, that's also a weak point. And usually, hitting a weak point while they're charging at you results in them falling to the ground, giving you a free stomp.

Easy Allies convinced me to buy this. I'm dying for a third person horror game.

Oh, did Huber like it? I didn't want to watch the review until I finish the game.

SkylineRKR

Their review is worth it to watch. It basically covered most things I wondered about.

Did you play the first?

Yeah. I absolutely loved it. Besides the jank. Beat the Kidman DLC as well.

I know this game is kind of different but what I've seen of it still feels like a traditional third person horror. More silent hill this time around. Which I also like.

GavinUK86

Their review is worth it to watch. It basically covered most things I wondered about.

Yeah. I absolutely loved it. Besides the jank. Beat the Kidman DLC as well.

I know this game is kind of different but what I've seen of it still feels like a traditional third person horror. More silent hill this time around. Which I also like.

Same as me. Definitely get it. It's really good.

Intel_89

I think one of the enemy drops glitched on me, I can’t find the final broken piece of the flamethrower and I’ve colmed the entire area. Everything is dead, still missing one piece.

Neiteio

Chapter 8 boss on nightmare is absolute horseshit.
Ch. 8 Nightmare boss tips:
Fight at the top of the arena, under the eye. Keep your back in the corner. That way Stefano can only approach you from the front and left, and you'll be safe from the time-frozen explosions. When he warps around 5-6 times making the "schwing" sound effect, he's about to throw his knife; keep an eye on the three paths in front of you and use one of them as an escape route, the walls blocking his throwing knife. Beyond that, stay in the corner — you'll be able to see and react to his running grab attack (telegraphed by "Philistine!"), and to evade him when he warps closer to take a swipe at you. When he calls down the tentacles ("There will be nothing left of you when I'm done"), run -toward- the tentacles, back and forth — they will just miss you. Note that normally there are three tentacle slams, but when he gets weak he'll throw in a fourth tentacle slam, as well. And don't get greedy with your shots — just hit him with one bullet or shotgun shell or bolt at a time (even a knife swipe will work — he has a brief cooldown after taking a swipe at you or throwing his knife, so you can bait him). Remember you can charge your crossbow bolts by holding R2 (on Control Type B).

Just started this today, only played a couple hours and I'm really enjoying it, also looks great.

TGVkWyj.gif

aRpobK1.gif

Neiteio

The trailing blood effect on Stefano's headshot execution "art piece" (early in the game) is one of the cooler special effects I've seen in videogames. Would make for a nice looping gif (as gross as it is).

Arklite

Trying to do a classic mode run, the beginning of this game is creepy as hell and it's all on Stefano's motif. Theodore was such a bore.

theyturkerjurbs

Neo Member
One thing I really dislike is the cover prompt. It's super distracting as a hud element but without it you're basically doing transitions blind. With it on I'm like 'Go away little white arrow!' but without it I'm spamming circle at walls from a distance and wondering why Seb won't run over. Wish there had been a better solution.

kromeo

When you get hit by an enemy they sometimes hit you a second time almost instantly before you have a chance to move, that's what's caused most of my deaths so far

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay so when (random encounter spoiler)
"Nemesis"
shows up... am I supposed to kill it?

SomTervo

Just started this today, only played a couple hours and I'm really enjoying it, also looks great.

TGVkWyj.gif

aRpobK1.gif

That top GIF freaked me out like fuck, possibly more than anything in the original game. Was so intense.

One thing I really dislike is the cover prompt. It's super distracting as a hud element but without it you're basically doing transitions blind. With it on I'm like 'Go away little white arrow!' but without it I'm spamming circle at walls from a distance and wondering why Seb won't run over. Wish there had been a better solution.

Would have been nice if they moved it down an inch or two on-screen - but chances are they tested this to hell and when it was down there no one noticed it or used it.

jett

D-Member
Is there an easy way to kill the
flamethrower
guys?

edit: nevermind smoke bolts are broken when maxxed out. :p

Kazuhira

I think one of the enemy drops glitched on me, I can’t find the final broken piece of the flamethrower and I’ve colmed the entire area. Everything is dead, still missing one piece.

Ch13 right? If so,you'll see more of those fuckers in the next chapter so don't worry.

Intel_89

Ch13 right? If so,you'll see more of those fuckers in the next chapter so don't worry.

I already got the missing piece from you-know-who, felt quite stupid for a couple of seconds when I realized that I cleared the commercial area or whatever it’s called before chapter 13.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Stopping for tonight, got to about half way through act 9 which is by far my favourite act, legit creepy as fuck and it's the first time I've felt truly uneasy while playing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Training grounds was a joke on PC lol... oh well, free stuff.

Wink

Finished in about 19 hours. Love the last unlock they give out.

I sometimes hated playing The Evil Within, because it was so exhausting. Its sequel is a good game, but a Shinji Mikami game it is not and I can say that it has not burrowed as deeply into my head as the first did. I'm also sure that most people will like it much more than the first and encourage those that found that one too obtuse to give the sequel a shot. It still retains quite a few of the great elements of its predecessor, just choses to make it more approachable and to me, because of that, doesn't come together on quite the same level.

kodecraft

When you get hit by an enemy they sometimes hit you a second time almost instantly before you have a chance to move, that's what's caused most of my deaths so far

It's called trap framing, it happens in fighting games too. You're locked into the sequence once hit, this allows the enemy to start up a second hit animation. It's a design choice here as there are upgrades to evade.

12 hours, chapter 7, and I love this game. Always something interesting happening, tense, scary, just a huge mix here. Nightmare mode has been intense but just bitter sweet.

Astral

Is the
flamethrower
a one time use item? You have to craft it again to use it? If so, when’s the best time? I have a feeling I’m gonna waste it.

Conezays

Just beat it (Steam says 24 hours, in-game 21 hours). Overall, thought it was a great game. Probably more consistent than the first; they definitely made more of an effort, for better or for worse, to focus on the story and characters more. Your mileage may vary if you feel they pulled it off or not. Not sure which of the two games I prefer, as the first game probably had higher highs, as well as lower lows. Definitely didn't feel the challenge was overwhelming on Nightmare, but if you didn't scour the landscape or do side content, you may feel differently. Did a fair amount of stealth throughout the game, but certain scenarios seem to demand full-frontal assault. I wish matches remained in the game as a fun sort of hybrid of stealth/fighting, but not the end of the world. There's still lots of fun action sequences in the game.

Like the first game, I definitely think those who feel iffy about the game an hour or so in should give the game more of a chance before dropping it. As others have mentioned, I have to commend Bethesda continually putting out lots of great single-player focused and more niche titles (Dishonored, Prey, The Evil Within, etc.) amidst current industry trends. I hope we get to see more of the series and Tango's work, but if not, there are certainly far worse ways to go out then this.

Teggy

OK, I've already put 5 hours into the game and I have a dumb question. Why do I keep seeing a grey arrow pointing down in the middle of my screen?

jett

D-Member
OK, I've already put 5 hours into the game and I have a dumb question. Why do I keep seeing a grey arrow pointing down in the middle of my screen?

It points to where you can dash to cover, by pressing R1. Not really all that useful to be honest.

So I'm starting to get stuck trying to figure out what to upgrade gun wise.

So far I have a couple of power in my handgun, for shotgun I have power through lvl 2 and one firing rate upgrade, then for the crossbow I have smoke lvl 3 and harpoon lvl 2 with the gun itself level 2. Any suggestions where to go from here? I was thinking of just maxing out the shotgun but I dunno if there is better stuff to hoard parts for

Nemesis_

I don't think I have the balls to save AFTER the
Theodore Fight
for my final save, guys. There's just too much risk and I really don't want to do the Fire Walk again ;_:

BadWolf

So I'm starting to get stuck trying to figure out what to upgrade gun wise.

So far I have a couple of power in my handgun, for shotgun I have power through lvl 2 and one firing rate upgrade, then for the crossbow I have smoke lvl 3 and harpoon lvl 2 with the gun itself level 2. Any suggestions where to go from here? I was thinking of just maxing out the shotgun but I dunno if there is better stuff to hoard parts for

Get the critical shot upgrade for the handgun asap.

I'd also suggest powering up the explosive bolt, it's great both against bosses and for crowd control.

Classic Save #2
1st save: Before Warehouse looking for Lily chapter 3
2nd save: Before Chainsaw Lady boss outside chapter 5
Welp...died multiple times on this run and its so fucking annoying and frustrating when you die and have to redo sections. A very helpful hint: Stefano will summon three 4-legged monsters when leaving the warehouse. Before you enter the warehouse clear the area of zombies. Near the fence outside will be a yellow crate you can interact with--you can move it into position so you can climb up and out of the area. You have to do this BEFORE you enter the warehouse searching for Lily. When Stefano summons his monsters as you leave the warehouse throw out a shock bolt and make a run for it to the crate avoiding the fight altogether. Saves a TON of ammo. The next major hurdle was the marrow waiting for the door to open in chapter 4. Unlocked the shooting range and spent a few hours trying to get all the rewards--you get LOTS of gunpowder and herbs instead of green gel in this mode so I highly recommend it.

EDIT: Never mind my post above---my game just crashed before I could save and I lost 3 hours of play time. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

i'm so mad a;lksdfja;lskdfja;lskdfja;lsdkf

Astral

The end of Chapter 13 is some bullshit on Nightmare. You die in two hits, have very little space, and the game keeps crashing.

Seriously why does the game keep crashing? On Chapter 14 now and it did it again for the 4th time.

Grisby

On Chapter 13 now. Those
flamethrower
guys give 5000 gels apiece. Noice.

You know, I was thinking today about that hot take thread where the OP claims EW2 is the best survival horror game since SH2. After watching the chapter 12-13 cutscene, the one with
((((((((((Myra))))))))))),
I got to thinking how cool it would have been if they really would have leaned hard into the whole, "It's all Seb's fault deal."

Like, all of these people that you meet inside Stem could have been fragments of Seb's guilt and torture and the environments, ala Silent Hill, could have reflected that. I think the game would have had a stronger look to it and a possibly better narrative.

DirtyLarry

Only on Chapter 7. It is probably going to take me quite some time to beat the game (1st one took me over 3 months), and I still fucking love this game. I also like that it more or less forced me to start fighting now. I guess there is a reason the nurse kept saying
you should think about upgrading your combat.

I see people mentioned there is an
automatic rifle
, so just curious when does that become something I can pick up? I just enabled
the servers for my man Sykes in the Marrow and returned to him in the safe house,
and I found the MOBIOUS boxes
in the Marrow, on the roof of Chapter 7, and in the safe house
and the only new weapon I received was
the silencer in the safe house.
Do I still have a ways to go before I get the
automatic rifle?

Is the input lag on PS4 a know issue? Not only does the game feel heavy but it's also very unresponsive.
Not that I know of.
With that said, there is no doubt at all it is a very heavy feeling game control wise. Very heavy.
I would not call it unresponsive at all, as I feel the controls do everything I want when I want, however with that said, due to some of the movement and animations, some things do appear to take longer than one might expect. Again though I would not say they are unresponsive. Just no doubt heavy. Clunky even. But that is part of the mechanics and some of said heaviness can be rectified via upgrades, etc.

Conezays

Only on Chapter 7. It is probably going to take me quite some time to beat the game (1st one took me over 3 months), and I still fucking love this game. I also like that it more or less forced me to start fighting now. I guess there is a reason the nurse kept saying
you should think about upgrading your combat.

I see people mentioned there is an
automatic rifle
, so just curious when does that become something I can pick up? I just enabled
the servers for my man Sykes in the Marrow and returned to him in the safe house,
and I found the MOBIOUS boxes
in the Marrow, on the roof of Chapter 7, and in the safe house
and the only new weapon I received was
the silencer in the safe house.
Do I still have a ways to go before I get the
automatic rifle?

Not that I know of.
With that said, there is no doubt at all it is a very heavy feeling game control wise. Very heavy.
I would not call it unresponsive at all, as I feel the controls do everything I want when I want, however with that said, due to some of the movement and animations, some things do appear to take longer than one might expect. Again though I would not say they are unresponsive. Just no doubt heavy. Clunky even. But that is part of the mechanics and some of said heaviness can be rectified via upgrades, etc.

Forget the exact point, but pretty sure it's
Chapter 13 or later? I'd focus on upgrading other gear personally (shotgun, bow, etc.)

Luminaire

Ch 6 or 7 here.

I got pretty ok at the shooting gallery! I like that chain shot mode, it's fun.

As for the chapter
WHY ARE THERE FUCKING TWO OF YOU. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. WHY. GO AWAY. ALSO GO AWAY AGAIN GHOST LADY

Also, is...there any way to stealth kill the super creepy gas...lady...thing? I'm too...disturbed to even approach it. The tunnel was...rough on me...

Astral

It feels like they nerfed the shit out of the harpoon bolts. Even at max level they don’t seem to do much damage. In the first game it was almost a guaranteed silent kill. It was great. Didn’t it pin enemies to the wall too? Here it doesn’t even one shot ordinary Lost.

BadWolf

Also, is...there any way to stealth kill the super creepy gas...lady...thing? I'm too...disturbed to even approach it. The tunnel was...rough on me...

Yeah you can stealth attack it to do good damage but it won't die just from that, you have to finish it off with a few shots after, while it's getting up.

Nemesis_

It feels like they nerfed the shit out of the harpoon bolts. Even at max level they don’t seem to do much damage. In the first game it was almost a guaranteed silent kill. It was great. Didn’t it pin enemies to the wall too? Here it doesn’t even one shot ordinary Lost.

Headshots can neutralise the Lost with one shot and even the Hysterics too

Top Bottom