• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

ok, so I
just unlocked Sebastian's revolver.
whoop whoop

I'm at Chapter 11.
I hear there is a double barrel shotgun?
Have I missed it or is it further on in the game?

Peroroncino

ok, so I
just unlocked Sebastian's revolver.
whoop whoop

I'm at Chapter 11.
I hear there is a double barrel shotgun?
Have I missed it or is it further on in the game?

It's in chapter 13, provided you completed
Sykes'
quest which starts earlier in the game.

Kazuhira

You can use the flashlight at anytime as it doesn't affect any enemies.
The game tells you this in the loading screens.

Huh,that's weird.
I turn it off without thinking when enemies are close so i had no way to know this.
Btw it would be awesome if you could unlock the lantern from the first game,i remember staring at it from time to time because i really liked the lighting effect.
Speaking of unlockables,how do you get the 2nd alternate costume? it's the only one i'm missing.

Astral

It's in chapter 13, provided you completed
Sykes'
quest which starts earlier in the game.

Is this gun any good? I tried it during the fire walk and it kinda sucked. My handgun was somehow killing these guys faster. It burns through ammo too quickly.

Holy fuck @ that
Laura fight
on
chapter 5

It took me a few tries as I got stuck in one of the mini shrub maze spots with the red barrel and again near the steps of the house to get supplies.

It was very satisfying when
she
finally died though.

Grisby

4WNZx01g.jpg

I can't remember but was this an unlock for Nightmare Mode or is it only for completing Classic Mode?
It's been said but damn that is an RE ass RE ending screen.

Played a lot last night, from Ch. 6 up to Ch. 11. Still good, although the last few chapters were a lot like the first game so I didn't like them quite as much. The city areas are so strong that it's a bummer that the whole game isn't just set in a large, connected Union.

Just finished up chapter 5

The Obscura boss glitched and got stuck running in place. So that was a lackluster battle.

I couldn’t figure out in my first playthrough, but all you have to do is
shoot the red barrels next to the van, and the resulting explosion clears a path for you, it just seems to allow you to skip the boss battle and provide an alternate entrance into City Hall.

Chapters 14, 15 and 16 were excellent.
Mostly because they were a callback to TEW tho, which isn't a great thing to say about a sequel

Holy shit the
Myra
boss fight was grotesque as fuck tho. Amazing monster design

AKyemeni

I couldn’t figure out in my first playthrough, but all you have to do is
shoot the red barrels next to the van, and the resulting explosion clears a path for you, it just seems to allow you to skip the boss battle and provide an alternate entrance into City Hall.
That's not
Obscura
which is after the part you're talking about

Neiteio

Ch. 13 (open wold area) is so satisfying to clear out. I used the lv. 3 smoke bolts to kill each of the three
Harbingers
with five sneak attacks each (so three lv. 3 smoke bolts for each encounter, since you can get in two stabs per smoke cloud). You get 5,000 gel for each one, so 15,000 gel total. NICE.

Ch. 12 location was fantastic. Reminded me of a certain Demon's Souls world (
Valley of Defilement
). Surprisingly emotional. The last few projector slides have also been great.

Ch. 11 is probably my overall favorite linear chapter so far, though (up through Ch. 13). Classic RE setting and atmosphere, great progression and tension, interesting lore, a top-notch optional boss and one of my favorite mandatory bosses in the series (probably would'be been trivialized with lv. 3 smoke bolts, but if you play it straight it's fair but challenging).

Astral

Ch. 13 (open wold area) is so satisfying to clear out. I used the lv. 3 smoke bolts to kill each of the three
Harbingers
with five sneak attacks each (so three lv. 3 smoke bolts for each encounter, since you can get in two stabs per smoke cloud). You get 5,000 gel for each one, so 15,000 gel total. NICE.

Ch. 12 location was fantastic. Reminded me of a certain Demon's Souls world (
Valley of Defilement
). Surprisingly emotional. The last few projector slides have also been great.

Ch. 11 is probably my overall favorite linear chapter so far, though (up through Ch. 13). Classic RE setting and atmosphere, great progression and tension, interesting lore, a top-notch optional boss and one of my favorite mandatory bosses in the series (probably would'be been trivialized with lv. 3 smoke bolts, but if you play it straight it's fair but challenging).

These are some of my favorite chapters in the game so far. Chapter 11 was great after the disappointing chapters 9 and 10. Chapter 12 was wonderfully tense. It took me a lot longer to complete the chapter than it should have. I have my issues with Chapter 13 because I hate how long it takes to kill the Harbingers on Nightmare and I just can't stand the enemies during the fire walk. Thinking back on it, it's a pretty solid chapter. Chapter 14 can get bent though. I haven't finished it and I'm dying to play the game already, but fuck Harbingers and I'm not a fan of the aesthetic.

Neiteio

These are some of my favorite chapters in the game so far. Chapter 11 was great after the disappointing chapters 9 and 10. Chapter 12 was wonderfully tense. It took me a lot longer to complete the chapter than it should have. I have my issues with Chapter 13 because I hate how long it takes to kill the Harbingers on Nightmare and I just can't stand the enemies during the fire walk. Thinking back on it, it's a pretty solid chapter. Chapter 14 can get bent though. I haven't finished it and I'm dying to play the game already, but fuck Harbingers and I'm not a fan of the aesthetic.
You can kill a Harbinger with just three lv. 3 smoke bolts. Shoot one, the Harbinger starts flailing helplessly in the smoke. Run up to it and the sneak attack prompt will appear. You can do this twice before smoke disappears. Then repeat process two more times. After three bolts (five sneak attacks), the Harbinger goes down. Lots of fun. If you don't have that upgrade (or any upgrades for smoke bolts), there's more than enough weapon parts lying around in that chapter to reach it.

xviper

just finished the game, took me about 20 hours, explored almost everything

The evil within 1 was criminally underrated, it was amazing

but The evil within 2 is a HUGE disappointment for me, i expected much more than this

it's a step backward on every possible way

the gameplay has gotten worse, controls are fucked up, it's like they are glitched or something, camera is fucked up, gunplay is significantly downgraded from the first game, i'm not feeling the shots, the enemies are not reacting properly to the shots, hitboxes are fucked up, sometimes i shoot them and it misses even though i'm sure i aimed at them, especially when they get very close to you, bosses are bad and forgetable (except the final boss), the pacing is insanely boring, it heavily depends on stealth or you will run out of ammo, and the stealth is basic as fuck

the open sandbox was a big mistake, it's obvious that it effected the game's quality, the story is the only improvement from the first game, everything else is a much worse

The evil within 1 is like the MUCH better sequel to The evil within 2

open world is the FPS of this generation, apparently every game has to be open world or semi-open world now

BadWolf

You can kill a Harbinger with just three lv. 3 smoke bolts. Shoot one, the Harbinger starts flailing helplessly in the smoke. Run up to it and the sneak attack prompt will appear. You can do this twice before smoke disappears. Then repeat process two more times. After three bolts (five sneak attacks), the Harbinger goes down. Lots of fun. If you don't have that upgrade (or any upgrades for smoke bolts), there's more than enough weapon parts lying around in that chapter to reach it.

For some reason the smoke bolts were one of my least used during my playthrough, will definitely be remedying that during the next one.

4-5 hours maybe (if you aren't speeding through)? Can't say for sure in terms of time but there are
chapters in total and most of the ones you have left are more linear.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Drewfonse

For some reason the smoke bolts were one of my least used during my playthrough, will definitely be remedying that during the next one.

4-5 hours maybe (if you aren't speeding through)? Can't say for sure in terms of time but there are
chapters in total and most of the ones you have left are more linear.

It's a bit hard to say due to a few things, like if you explore Chapter 13 or not. But at least for for the straight-forward stuff, I'd say you have 2-3 hours to go.

Thanks!

sphinx

the piano man
can you guys can give a summary of things to be careful about in terms of missables? (without spoiling the main story please)

I read there's a side quests with
sykes that if you don't save him then things are gone for good. is that so?

can you guys tell me which chapters are crucial for getting a 100% file and such?

I am trying to collect all files, keys and upgrades. If there's anytthing that will prevent me from doing that I'd like to know.

thanks-

Astral

I admit part of my hate for them comes from how unprepared I was. I only had I think 2 smoke bolts when I reached that area because I kept using them before trying to figure out how to stealth kill in the smoke. Turns out I didn't have the upgrade. I was even more unprepared in Chapter 14 so fighting them has just been hell, no pun intended. I assumed they were useless for most of the game because I thought I couldn't stealth kill endlessly like with the flash bolts. Flash bolts are still a lot more fun though.

kromeo

I'm using shock bolts a lot more than in the first game, you can take out 4 enemies with each one once you've upgraded them a bit. Explosive bolts seem a lot weaker, the blast radius is much smaller

Neiteio

I'm using shock bolts a lot more than in the first game, you can take out 4 enemies with each one once you've upgraded them a bit. Explosive bolts seem a lot weaker, the blast radius is much smaller
Afee stealth-killing nearly all of the enemies in Ch. 13's open world, on Nightmare, I had enough weapon parts to reach the lv. 3 shock bolts and smoke bolts, both of which have been very handy. Stomping three downed enemies after a single shock bolt is awesome. So is killing a Harbinger for 5,000 gel easy with no bullets fired and no damage taken.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Astral

Honestly, the Crossbow all around I think is better than it was in the first game. The Crossbow itself I think handles a bit better and looks cooler visually as general upgrades, but also all the Bolts seem a lot more balanced now than the original game (where a couple of the bolts were so clearly superior to the rest). The fully upgraded versions of all the bolts in TEW2 are all honestly pretty great.

My only gripe is that I still prefer flash to smoke and the harpoon feels nerfed. I don't remember guys in Nightmare mode surviving flaming harpoons to the chest in TEW1. Even if they did, they'd be pinned to the wall for you to finish them off easily.

BadWolf

My only gripe is that I still prefer flash to smoke and the harpoon feels nerfed. I don't remember guys in Nightmare mode surviving flaming harpoons to the chest in TEW1. Even if they did, they'd be pinned to the wall for you to finish them off easily.

Aim for the head/weak-point with the harpoons.

Even if you aim for the body they usually knock down, so you can run up and stomp finish.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It really sucks that I am going to finish this before a Pro patch is released. Missed opportunity.

You can't imagine how hard it is for me to not play this game .. I *REALLY* want to. I can go out and get a copy within 5 minutes but I want to play it with the Pro patch.

The worst case scenario for me would be if the Pro patch ends up hampering the performance. At the very least this game seems to run at an (almost) solid 30 FPS on the PS4 outside of a few cut-scenes.

Astral

Aim for the head/weak-point with the harpoons.

Even if you aim for the body they usually knock down, so you can run up and stomp finish.

I notice the game talking about weak spots but I guess I'm blind because I don't see any on most enemies. I just aim for the head.

I've gotten my ass repeatedly kicked by Chapter 11's boss.

I was not expecting him to be so strong,
destroying his flame tank only made him stronger ;_;

BadWolf

I notice the game talking about weak spots but I guess I'm blind because I don't see any on most enemies. I just aim for the head.

I did that too mostly lol, worked out more often than not.

I've gotten my ass repeatedly kicked by Chapter 11's boss.

I was not expecting him to be so strong,
destroying his flame tank only made him stronger ;_;

Try using the environment to your advantage, I'd get quite a few good shots in by leading him through the area via the thin hallways. He'd often stop to shoot his flamethrower from a distance and I'd duck to avoid and then pop out to shoot some more. Always aimed for the head.

Neff

Just finished this again. I found the good bits better and the weak bits worse. I think I shall give this game a 8/10.

Such a great ending though.

"There's a third choice... and it's FUCK YOU!"

I did that too mostly lol, worked out more often than not.

Try using the environment to your advantage, I'd get quite a few good shots in by leading him through the area via the thin hallways. He'd often stop to shoot his flamethrower from a distance and I'd duck to avoid and then pop out to shoot some more. Always aimed for the head.

I defeated him by playing ring around the rosie with the one singular pillar, spaming all of my bolts lol. Eventually I found the turning angle to dodge his charge.

Pretty high stakes because his melee does like 1/3 of my health.

Neiteio

The Ch. 11 fight is incredibly hard if you don't have lv. 3 smoke bolts (and at least three of them), but it's also so fun that I'm keeping a save right before that fight so I can replay it anytime. It's like one of the bosses from MGS3 (you know which one), but it's a lot more exciting and fun, imo.

Top Bottom