• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

decisions

On ch.4 and loving the game. Will post more detailed thoughts at a later time but this is one of my top 5 in the survival horror genre unless it falls off bad somehow.

One suggestion I will make is to set cover to toggle. Feels much better and allows you to switch from cover to cover easily without crouching, which I think is impossible otherwise.

BadWolf

One suggestion I will make is to set cover to toggle. Feels much better and allows you to switch from cover to cover easily without crouching, which I think is impossible otherwise.

Definitely, made a huge difference.

Speeding up the camera movement speed is another good thing to mess around with, makes combat feel snappier.

UberLevi

Is there any reason to take the Defiance upgrade if I already have Second Chance? Seems like it'd be redundant unless I'm missing something.

Several hours in, and all I've done is creep around and stealth enemies in chapter 3. I'm probably going to be at this for some time.....

Say, in the truck yard, there's that garage you bring power to and enter. Then a guy walks out and falls over giving you green gel or gun powder.. There's another side to that big room, but I'm not sure how to get over there. There's a spot light shining on a wide board, as if to bring your attention to it. I assumed you could break this and crouch through, but that doesn't work. Is there something I'm missing?

Does increasing melee damage help with stealth attacks?

Thanks

AKyemeni

Several hours in, and all I've done is creep around and stealth enemies in chapter 3. I'm probably going to be at this for some time.....

Say, in the truck yard, there's that garage you bring power to and enter. Then a guy walks out and falls over giving you green gel or gun powder.. There's another side to that big room, but I'm not sure how to get over there. There's a spot light shining on a wide board, as if to bring your attention to it. I assumed you could break this and crouch through, but that doesn't work. Is there something I'm missing?

Does increasing melee damage help with stealth attacks?

Thanks

The board thing is story related. Do the main mission.

And increasing melee damage doesn't help with stealth attacks.

Luminaire

Yeah you can stealth attack it to do good damage but it won't die just from that, you have to finish it off with a few shots after, while it's getting up.

Hm...
That should save some ammo...

I WILL DO THIS. If I see another one. I wasted some precious sniper rifle rounds on one.
Thanks!

Astral

People kept hyping up Chapter 14 and so far I hate it. The
flamethrower
guys have an absurd amount of heath on Nightmare mode and are not fun to fight. Now I’m out of ammo because I spent literally all of it on that enemy. I also don’t care for the aesthetic of this chapter at all. I really enjoyed the first half of the game a lot more.

StewboaT_

Just finished... what a wild ride. Really enjoyed this one, even if the performance was a little suspect.

One thing that really stood out for me was the superb pacing. Normally I can only play games in small chunks but I was able to power through this one with ease. Good stuff.

Most of the chapters were pretty consistent, but 14 was the definite standout for me. Just fucking awesome, really.

Highly recommend this to anyone that's even remotely a fan of the genre. It saddens me that it's apparently not selling well at all and may be the last installment.

8.5/10

I want to compare it to the first one but I can't really remember it all that well. Plus I played it on launch on the PS4 and remember it being janky as fuck. Time to snag it and give it another go on the pc :)

Azzanadra

Is the critical hit upgrade for the pistol as ridiculous as it was in the first game? I have fond memories of one-hit headshotting haunted.

Toa TAK

Banned
Just finished it, pretty stoked letterbox is unlocked LOL (since I still play the first like that).

Seriously this game is such a step up gameplay-wise, and having a more coherent story with an emotional core really helps the drive of the narrative. The open world segments are a great break and allow for some exploration of your own pace while still allowing you to think through some encounters along the way. Using the scanner to find new missions and equipment is fun as well. I think what keeps it from being grating is that Union isn't really that big. To go from one corner of the map to another doesn't feel like such a big deal as it would in any other game. Shooting is still iffy, but doesn't feel as bad as the first. New enemies can be bullet sponges, but I see that as more encouragement to unleash your inner Sam Fisher (silenced pistol and all) Trust me, I don't miss the matchsticks mechanic, as cool as the animations were. I love crafting on the go, and

I'm still a bit miffed on the art direction, as I thought it was a lot stronger in the first game from character design to the environments. Still, they do well enough that each time the world undergoes a change it's stunning. The bosses as a whole could've been a bit better, I thought, save for the finale. I'll say that the story and set-pieces in the first had a much higher high as well, despite this game feeling much more consistent in each.

Either way, as someone who loved the first, I'm really glad this game turned out as well as it did. It's a good time and another great addition to the survival horror genre. It's a shame to see it doing so poorly, because this is really delivering on the single player experience as I love them.

Is the critical hit upgrade for the pistol as ridiculous as it was in the first game? I have fond memories of one-hit headshotting haunted.

Yes. You can totally go to town with it.

myco666

Is there any reason to take the Defiance upgrade if I already have Second Chance? Seems like it'd be redundant unless I'm missing something.

It is bit redundant but if you don't have healing items then Second Chance doesn't really help you.

People kept hyping up Chapter 14 and so far I hate it. The
flamethrower
guys have an absurd amount of heath on Nightmare mode and are not fun to fight. Now I’m out of ammo because I spent literally all of it on that enemy. I also don’t care for the aesthetic of this chapter at all. I really enjoyed the first half of the game a lot more.

Yeah those guys are not fun to fight. If you have upgraded smoke bolts you should use them for easy kill.

Truant

Finished it last night. Thought parts of the ending was really well put together in terms of editing and transitions. Felt like an action film.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Finished it last night. Thought parts of the ending was really well put together in terms of editing and transitions. Felt like an action film.

Yeah, some of the door to door sequences were really well done. I have *huge* issues with the game, but there are moments where the obvious talent of the team shine through.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I finally finished, It was a fun ride and I only have two questions.

What the hell happened to Ruben/Ruvik? Did just walked away with Leslie's body and thats it?

Also what happen to Joseph? I know his alive. If you played The Consequence DLC, in near the end you got the room that every one still sleeping in Stem and you hear the heart beats of the people who are still alive, so I know for fact Joseph still alive....so what happen to him?

Nemesis_

I finished Classic Mode. Here was my time and the cool piece of artwork that it shows you when you finish. Very much like old school Resident Evil

I can't remember but was this an unlock for Nightmare Mode or is it only for completing Classic Mode?

Vr8BBU5.jpg

Yeah, some of the door to door sequences were really well done. I have *huge* issues with the game, but there are moments of where the obvious talent of the team shine through.

There are a handful of really slick presentation/visual elements that just leave me confused as to why most of the game is presented in such a bland way.

Kazuhira

I think it's time to move on to the spoiler thread.

4WNZx01g.jpg

I can't remember but was this an unlock for Nightmare Mode or is it only for completing Classic Mode?

Do enemies hit harder and/or have more hp? Or is it just nightmare with a few restrictions?
I've finished the game on nightmare yesterday i never got that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't know about anybody else but for me the best moment of the game
when I used the flamethrower on Laura, it was soooo satisfying.

sphinx

the piano man
so this is how I get the ending spoiled??

by someone coming into the thread and putting a capture of the ending in it?

Finished it last night. I thought the end was really good.

I liked the transitions between the two scenes and the juxtaposition of them. It worked really well.

It's amazing that the abortion of a story in the first game was moulded into quite a decent story in this one.

myco666

I don't know about anybody else but for me the best moment of the game
when I used the flamethrower on Laura, it was soooo satisfying.

Would be better if
the whole tank would be enough to take her down.

so this is how I get the ending spoiled??

by someone coming into the thread and putting a capture of the ending in it?

Thats really not spoiling the ending.

Truant

Finished it last night. I thought the end was really good.

I liked the transitions between the two scenes and the juxtaposition of them. It worked really well.

It's amazing that the abortion of a story in the first game was moulded into quite a decent story in this one.

Yeah, they made the whole Stem thing really cool, with the town and the Marrow etc. Felt like a cool riff on Inception/Matrix.

Truant

With the last pistol you get from the ghost sidequest, it one-shots a lot of the later enemies more often than not.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I was afraid of that being a spoiler as well but I saw the poster Nemesis_ and knew exactly that he wouldn't spoil something like that. Good poster.

Nemesis_

I was afraid of that being a spoiler as well but I saw the poster Nemesis_ and knew exactly that he wouldn't spoil something like that. Good poster.

I am worried this post is sarcastic ;_; I can remove it if people want, I didn't realise it was going to upset people.

I think a few things that I wish I knew going into Classic Mode are as follows:

1.) The save pattern posted here is okay, though I ran behind on some of the saves. I think some people suggested saving before the major battle in Chapter 8. I personally was having heaps of issues with other aspects of the level (literally a Hysteric wrecked me every time I saw one) so I saved earlier. You can chop and change your saves - just know that you'll then probably have a longer run to deal with getting to the next save.

2.) The Fire Walk is easily the hardest part. The cabin seemed hard on paper, but between stomp and the help in that area it didn't really phase me. I cleared that on my first go.

3.) When you run out of ammo during a boss battle, the game will automatically spawn very small amounts to replenish you. I'm not sure about the cabin, but during the Harbinger and final boss battles the game would very obviously throw me a bone but only after exhausting every piece of ammo including non-lethal weapons. During my final battle I had to do this for a looooonngggg time so most of the battles become more of a survival thing rather than a beating thing.

4.) At the end of Chapter 14, the
boss rush
is probably easier than you think. I cleared that every time I attempted it since they were so simple. But I saved before it so I had to repeat it everytime I'd fail the final attack.

5.) STOMP STOMP STOMP! Seriously, one shell downs most enemies who can then be stomped.

6.) HEALING ITEMS also don't cost more if you craft them in the field, not sure if this is the same in the Nightmare mode but I noticed it more in Classic Mode.

7.) As for healing, that really wasn't my main issues. The only times I died was when attacked by an attack that did an IMMENSE amount of damage that skills or upgrades would usually protect me from. As such, I didn't use healing items until the Fire Walk.

8.) Do the shooting gallery and collect as many locker keys as you can without risking it. These replenishments between battles and such were so, so helpful. I literally didn't use any herbs to craft healing items until the Fire Walk, where I relied on them heavily. You'll probably be similarly lucky, I think.

For those wondering - I did no side quests. I didn't get any weapons beyond what was given to me through the story BARRING the Sniper Rifle. I recommend that if you can be bothered as it's an easy way to do some high damage in a small amount of time.

Happy to answer questions. I am not sure if I enjoyed this or AKUMU more. I think AKUMU was overall a much more frustrating experience.

Astral

It is bit redundant but if you don't have healing items then Second Chance doesn't really help you.

Yeah those guys are not fun to fight. If you have upgraded smoke bolts you should use them for easy kill.

That’s what I heard but even then it took quite a few shots and bolts to kill it afterwards.

Seyfert

a few question about the game.

1. This game has 4k HDR support on PS4 Pro yet ?
2. If my playstyle don't kill much, am i shortage of green gel ? or If I am kind of don't care just to beat the game, green gel economy in this case are still fair ? anyway to get more or farming it ?
3. If I don't do side quest , am i missing anything important (item / critical story)

Thanks.

Zutrax

I started chapter 13 and everything was pitch black dark. I could barely make out anything without using my flashlight, but I was able to make out just enough with it off that traversing was still possible. I thought it was a design choice to make locating and encountering enemies more tense, as a lot of the enemies were fire based in this area, and you could still see glowing elements on the enemies as well.

I died at some point and when the world reloaded turns out my games lighting was just glitched and the entire area is actually pretty damn well lit and bright. It's odd, the glitch actually gave the area a more oppressive atmosphere and added some strategic elements and difficulty. It made me reassess how I approached fighting a few of the enemies in the area since I had to take into account as to whether I should use my flashlight and risk being spotted or try and approach enemies in the pitch darkness. I wish I had taken video or a screenshot, as it really was better than how they intended the chapter to look normally.

Did this happen to anyone else?

Astral

I’m still salty about the later Chapters. I’m still in 14 but the atmosphere is such a step down from He first half of the game.
Theodore’s
motif is lame and the
fire dudes
are lame. I’ll probably bitch about it more once I beat it tonight.

Intel_89

How many hours to complete the story if you don't go wandering looking for stuff

Should be at least 10 hours, though you'll need to look for stuff to streamline the gameplay. If you don't have materials to power up your weapons or bullets to take down enemies you'll be at it for quite a while longer.

BadWolf

I usually take breaks between playthroughs but have been really itching to start another with this game despite finishing it just yesterday morning.

How many hours to complete the story if you don't go wandering looking for stuff

At the end my total play time was about 19 hours iirc (though I'm sure that doesn't count retries). This was with me taking things slow with stealth and also doing side quests that pop up.

3. If I don't do side quest , am i missing anything important (item / critical story)

You will definitely be missing out on many weapons.

Side quests in this game are fun and mostly short.

Isn't it nice when you get cheat codes in games.

This game doesn't even have a season pass does it? This game doesn't get enough respect for that.

When the unlockables at the end popped up I just had to smile since they have become such an obvious thing for devs to milk fans with via DLC.

Also really happy that the entire game and story feel self contained, instead of a big chunk being cut out for DLC ala the first game. So my biggest complaint with the first game has been addressed.

And I like how the story in addition to being good also kinda makes the TEW1 story feel better too and makes me want to revisit the game.

Finished it last night, great great game that I'll definitely try to platinum.

The ending section however, passed the final boss is really bad. On a design, story and staging aspect. Really not the same quality as the first half of the game.

It's so long and repetitive story-wise. The momentum of it is so boring and self-indulgent. The characters keep saying the same thing over and over again. Short and sweet next time please!

Also, HOORAY for black bars unlock! :D

Seb shows a doll of Lily's mom ''Remember when Mom died and sacrificed herself for the both of us? Who cares.'' ;)

DaRealMVP

Neo Member
I started chapter 13 and everything was pitch black dark. I could barely make out anything without using my flashlight, but I was able to make out just enough with it off that traversing was still possible. I thought it was a design choice to make locating and encountering enemies more tense, as a lot of the enemies were fire based in this area, and you could still see glowing elements on the enemies as well.

I died at some point and when the world reloaded turns out my games lighting was just glitched and the entire area is actually pretty damn well lit and bright. It's odd, the glitch actually gave the area a more oppressive atmosphere and added some strategic elements and difficulty. It made me reassess how I approached fighting a few of the enemies in the area since I had to take into account as to whether I should use my flashlight and risk being spotted or try and approach enemies in the pitch darkness. I wish I had taken video or a screenshot, as it really was better than how they intended the chapter to look normally.

Did this happen to anyone else?

Didn't happen to me but also I don't believe enemies react to your flashlight so you can have it on constantly.

Zutrax

Didn't happen to me but also I don't believe enemies react to your flashlight so you can have it on constantly.

Odd, must have been a placebo effect then, I felt like they were spotting me easier, but it was also so dark I could have just been more careless and not realizing it. Good to know anyway for the future, I've always been turning it off to sneak up on enemies so I never noticed and just assumed.

EDIT:
They don't, the game even tells you this.
You can use the flashlight at anytime as it doesn't affect enemies.

Obviously I should read more. Dunno how I missed that.

Odd, must have been a placebo effect then, I felt like they were spotting me easier, but it was also so dark I could have just been more careless and not realizing it. Good to know anyway for the future, I've always been turning it off to sneak up on enemies so I never noticed and just assumed.

You can use the flashlight at anytime as it doesn't affect any enemies.
The game tells you this in the loading screens.

psychotron

So even though I just got to chapter 5 last night, I decided to fire up the first Evil Within, just to compare. Somehow Evil Within 2 is retroactively making EW1 seem much better than I remember. It's not that EW2 is bad, I absolutely love it. I think that me finally learning how to properly stealth has helped me a lot with the first game, where I was pretty terrible at it. That and I think my tv at the time was calibrated poorly so I couldn't see well in a lot of the dark areas, lol.

Top Bottom