• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 releases in 2 days

silva1991

I just started TEW today and I'm determined o finish it.

I love the safe room music.

Also pls tell me this is the actual box art

tumblr_ow7yyhNaQH1se6ntfo1_400.png

LogicStep

Do we know how necessary is a playthrough of the first game? Heard some negative things about it so I haven't checked it out. I'd play on PC. Or can we just jump into this new game assuming it'll be a better, more polished, experience?

rtcn63

Do we know how necessary is a playthrough of the first game? Heard some negative things about it so I haven't checked it out. I'd play on PC. Or can we just jump into this new game assuming it'll be a better, more polished, experience?

IIRC it isn't necessary, but I mean, you can always watch someone else play the first one. Gametrailers/EZA has a video of Huber doing a full playthrough alongside the DLC, and Blood is working through it alone right now.

Or you just could read a plot synopsis on the wikia.

Here's the Huber playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=618rCdcHCKs&list=PL4qsOm_FvoZFiN3FrH_Gjt9zrjH-Ns3lR

DLC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XM_yNT_zY4&list=PL4qsOm_FvoZEBI24Px7URb_zbB9rSog5L

Related: Game Informer really needs to do a TEW super replay. And Leo Vader sounds a lot like Tim Turi.

ToKre

it made me go back to finishing the first one i stopped at chapter 8 in ps4 and after i got a PC bought the game and stopped at chapter 8 lol.

great thread btw.

I'm one of those people that's on a media blackout (I only read your OP up to the poster). I'm extremely excited for TEW2. I loved the first one, warts and all. I think (and hope) this second one will allow the developers at grasshopper to iron out some of the kinks from the first game. I think this could be something really special. I'll definitely be buying it at some point this October, if not on the day of release.

Read under technical setting,s it's a Frankenstein Engine this game is running on (that's not the name), but it's custom done by Tango themselves and uses parts from idTech 5 & 6, though also the recent demo was PC and units like PC Gamer and Rock, Paper, Shotgun got their hands on the demo and mention it has a lot of PC bells and whistles and performance is good, so that's promising.

I really want to grab the PC version but I run 1080's in SLI and idTech is not known for it's SLI support, more than likely that would be the case here as well?

Definitely one of my most anticipated games for the rest of the year. Happy to hear the easy difficulty is easier than the original and removes the frustration - there were a couple of chapters that really pissed me off in the first one.

Getting major Silent Hill vibes from what I've watched so far, so if it can deliver on those all the better.

SomTervo

I am still super excited for it have my PC preorder in on cdkeys.

I need to finish the DLC for the first game.

I'm so stoked i might actually cancel my cdkeys preorder and pay full price through steam to support the devs. Did the same thing with Dishonored: death of the outsider

I really want to grab the PC version but I run 1080's in SLI and idTech is not known for it's SLI support, more than likely that would be the case here as well?

Wouldn't a single 1080 be sufficient anyway?

I'm quite looking forward to it, but if it isn't an in house port or being handled by a competent company for PC I'm not buying it until a deep sale.

FiveSide

Banned
First one had potential and amazing atmosphere but MAN was that an uneven game. Really frustrating to see Mikami struggle with that after turning in Resident Evil 4 a decade ago.

Everything for Evil Within 2 turns on whether or not it can double down on the first one's strengths, and cut the bullcrap. Basically double down on the gameplay of Chapter 3 with the imagery of the later chapters.

I'll be there Day 1 despite my reservations (especially on the technical side). I'd rather be optimistic about this game's potential.

Fisty

Already preordered on PSN. Looks like it is hitting all the right notes as far as expanding and improving on TEW1, and I will always give a Mikami protege a shot (or two)

EDIT: still need to do the Kidman DLC, bought it AGES ago and never got around to it, apparently it's pretty crucial to the plot

Nev

Banned
Why must everything these days be a fucking RPG lite?

Out as soon as I read character upgrades.

rtcn63

I'm wary of this too. But RE4 did have upgrades, and MGSV did do the "sorta" open-world sandbox thing well. I'm more worried that it'll allow you to breeze your way through the game even on the harder difficulties. (Although if you know what you're doing in the original TEW, you can walk through most of the chapters without breaking a sweat.)

I'll wait for a sale on this one. I liked the first one but remember how hard the price dropped after a few months.

Wolfenstein is day fucking one though.

-MD-

It's currently my most anticipated game

Same, dude.

vmkTIT8.png

tYjUjRV.png

I played a ton of the first one, I hope to play just as much if not more of this one. As far as how it'll perform, the first one sold really well and TONS of people were saying it was going to be the biggest bomb of the year so I'm not too worried.

The first one I consumed every bit of material leading up to launch and I regretted it somewhat so I've been mostly on media blackout for this one, only skimming traillers and looking at screenshots, haven't watched any footage for longer than like 30 seconds.

The first game had upgrades too...

DVCY201

I'm Day 1. But Bethesda is probably sending this out to die. They've been more focused on Wolfenstein and they're both coming out close to each other, like what?

I enjoyed the first, despite the combat being kinda wonky. I'll probably wait until a steam Christmas sale though, it's getting busy for games now.

Gator86

Ran out of room in the OP, but I want to ask you guys just to reiterate one more time, a month out how are you guys feeling towards The Evil Within 2? Positive, negative, thinking it'll find success, thinking it'll bomb? I'm curious where the current GAF tide is in general right now on the title with it so close to release.

Great OP. The first was such a mixed bag and wound up kind of mediocre despite some great high points. 2 seems like they're doing everything they needed to and I'm pretty excited about it. It's definitely a "wait for reviews before even considering a purchase" type game though.

I expect it to bomb though. No hype, not much interest in threads about it, 2017 has been stacked with games, etc. It'll probably be available for 20 bucks by New Years.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I wouldn't count on SLI support at launch considering it had to be patched into Doom16.

Regarding the engine, I did some digging and the source of it being a hybrid/new is apparently this stream, but all that's said is that it's a "custom STEM engine", which doesn't really point in any particular direction. I'd wager it's a "new" engine in the same sense that Void is (i.e. based on id Tech 5 or an early fork of id Tech 6).

Neiteio

So many magnificent monsters, given final approval by Mikami-san himself. Looking forward to another survival horror masterpiece! <3

Sanctuary

Ran out of room in the OP, but I want to ask you guys just to reiterate one more time, a month out how are you guys feeling towards The Evil Within 2? Positive, negative, thinking it'll find success, thinking it'll bomb? I'm curious where the current GAF tide is in general right now on the title with it so close to release.

Cautiously optimisitic. I didn't find the first game to be "complete garbage" like many around here claim, but I also didn't find it to be anywhere close to "the best survival horror game since X" like just as many either. The biggest problem for me was the pacing and also how it devolved into just another modern TPS in the later parts.

kuYuri

Don't worry, I played the game on a single 1080 with a i7 and I easily got 90+fps on max settings at 1440p.

I played through the original this past June while taking a break from Persona 5 and man was it a fun and thrilling experience for the most part. I'm usually not a fan of most scary games but this one was more action based like resident evil 4 (which I absolutely adore) so it was awesome to experience.

Not everything was good, namely the city/bus chapter and the lukewarm final boss fight, but I really liked the atmosphere, upgrade system and the fucked up imagery. I am completely on board for the sequel and will be getting this day 1 as a bday present to myself. &#128512;

Lol you really don't need that to run this game. Just enough to pass the bumpy parts early on, after it runs like a dream on even mid range pcs

It was those fog and rain effects that made it run like shit

LogicStep

IIRC it isn't necessary, but I mean, you can always watch someone else play the first one. Gametrailers/EZA has a video of Huber doing a full playthrough alongside the DLC, and Blood is working through it alone right now.

Or you just could read a plot synopsis on the wikia.

Here's the Huber playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=618rCdcHCKs&list=PL4qsOm_FvoZFiN3FrH_Gjt9zrjH-Ns3lR

DLC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XM_yNT_zY4&list=PL4qsOm_FvoZEBI24Px7URb_zbB9rSog5L

Related: Game Informer really needs to do a TEW super replay. And Leo Vader sounds a lot like Tim Turi.
Thanks! I think that's one of the best replies I've gotten, with links and all lol

Wollan

I know I'm going to buy it and play it. Trailers sold it for me showing highly varied and super impressive visual design in gameplay. I'm trying to avoid further details though before release.

I didn't play or buy the original.

Jawmuncher

I have it preordered since it was cheap. Hoping I don't get burned after being thoroughly disappointed with the first game. It wasn't very scary and it's action wasn't very good so it just failed on all accounts for me.

I'm liking what I'm seeing of TEW2 though. So hopefully it keeps it up. I want to like the universe. But I gotta get a game I care about first from it.

Neiteio

I just hope I'm in the mood for the game when it arrives. The first TEW is one of my favorite games but it is INTENSELY stressful. I actually wouldn't mind this one being a bit "lighter," which maybe it will be with the more open format. The first one was soul-crushingly bleak (although it had its own oddball sense of humor and whacky Japanese characters).

rtcn63

I have it preordered since it was cheap. Hoping I don't get burned after being thoroughly disappointed with the first game. It wasn't very scary and it's action wasn't very good so it just failed on all accounts for me.

I'm liking what I'm seeing of TEW2 though. So hopefully it keeps it up. I want to like the universe. But I gotta get a game I care about first from it.

Jaw, you my bro and all, but you wouldn't know good gameplay if it melee'd you in the stegosaurus.

Kazuhira

I can run it at 1440p,locked 60fps with a single 970.
You're gonna breeze through it with only one 1080.

It's easily my most anticipated game right now since the first is one of the best games of the gen. Mikami + action horror = an amazing campaign. I'm very curious about how the changes in the sequel will affect the whole, but based on everything I've seen I'm very optimistic. I'm still not sure if I'll like the art direction as much, and we'll see if the director change up can match Mikami's penchant for crafting amazing encounters, but other than that I'm pretty confident the game will be as dope as it looks.

tootie923

I hope Sebastian doesn't have the endurance of a couch potato this time. Athleticism will be the first upgrade I do anyway. I loved Silent Hill: Downpour except for that horrid framerate, so this is sounding better and better.

rtcn63

I hope Sebastian doesn't have the endurance of a couch potato this time. Athleticism will be the first upgrade I do anyway.

I watched the one hour stream, and by default, his stamina bar is MUCH bigger. They even talk about how generous it is compared to the original.

EDIT: Maybe he just cut back on the cigarettes.

Top Bottom