• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 releases in 2 days

Orb

Why must everything these days be a fucking RPG lite?

Out as soon as I read character upgrades.
I love when people complain about a sequel to a game having the same features as its predecessor as if they would tailor the sequel directly to people who didnt like the first one.

You wont be missed 👋

bbd23

cant believe how hyped I am for this one considering I kind of soured on the first game near the end. so much potential.

this one is looking like an improvement though. Im there Day 1!

YAY, a Dusk Golem thread! Good stuff as always. 😎 Looking forward to TEW2. Haven't watched anything past the E3 trailer/small gameplay sample from the extended showing there, very excited for this. Probably day one for me, but may be a tad later depending on whether or not I've finished Danganronpa! :3 I hope the new director does a great job, I'll admit I became a bit trepidatious after they announced the passing of the torch but they can do it!

GavinUK86

I'm super excited for this one. Played through the original but didn't enjoy it that much. Didn't finish the DLC because I got bored. From what I've seen of this, it look miles better.

Also coming out on the same day:

- The new Wolfenstein
- Assassin's Creed Origins

Jesus.

No. Wolf 2 and AC Origins come out 2 weeks later.

Astral Dog

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm worried. Very high quality games published by Bethesda haven't done well lately. I'm worried about this trend of really good games not doing well since why should the publisher do more of those if all of them pretty much fails. I want more games like this, and wolfenstein and dishonored and Prey. I love well done single player games.

The EVIL WITHIN 1 did very well and surpassed expectations, though "very high quality" is debatable

Audioserf

I'm so stoked i might actually cancel my cdkeys preorder and pay full price through steam to support the devs. Did the same thing with Dishonored: death of the outsider

Cdkeys purchases still support the developer, the retailer just takes a smaller cut than Valve do which accounts for the price difference.

Wamb0wneD

NeoGAF OT's, now coming to Early Access!
Haha, seems like it.

It's more a "please don't forget about this soon-to-be released niche game in light of Destiny 2 etc."
Yeah it's just confusing because the OP is better made than some OT's lol.

Actually, I still can't decide between Mario, This, or wolfenstien. It's rage inducing.

Mario is an absolute no brainer for me. The last 3D Mario i played was Galaxy 2 and every bit of footage I saw so far looked absolutely stellar.
But between Wolfenstein and this it's hard. Probably going with this because I would have to import Wolfenstein.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
re: folks asking me about the PAX demo leaving a bad taste, it's because it was a terrible demo. It takes 30 minute before things get moving--they start you at chapter 2, which is almost entirely tutorialization--and even though I flipped the game to easy in order to move along as quickly as possible, by the time the 30 minutes were up, it was time to leave. It was impossible to grasp whether the game was meaningful different from the first one. I'm hoping, tho.

I loved the first game but I'm cautious about the sequel due to the director change then finding out the new director is the guy who directed the dlc of the first game which I really didn't like.

TEW had rough edges but despite that I really enjoyed the whole experience and the harshness of it's systems. I'm hoping tango didn't take the wrong lessons from the people who didn't like the game and turn it into something that loses what made the original great.

I'm definitely excited for this game, but I really hope the experience is consistently good throughout. I thought the first few chapters of TEW were fantastic, but it kind of fell apart for me towards the end.

I'm really hoping for better performance this time around. I'll be playing this on PC (played the original on PS4) so hopefully it'll have a nice smooth frame rate.

I feel like I'm the only one excited about the new director. His work on Chapter 9 was excellent, and having new blood can lead to wonderful new ideas and experiences.

It's obvious Mikami trusts him. Which is more than enough for me.

fetus8

If it's because of money it's understandable to be debating, but if you have the money one thing to keep in mind is the Evil Within 2 releases exactly 2 weeks (14 days) before both Wolfenstein and Mario (they both release on the 27th). So The Evil Within 2 could be a good thing to play to bide the time until them.

(andIwanttoseeTEW2succeed)

welll when you put it that way...

I am definitely interested in TEW2, I want it to at least surpass TEW in technical performance before I am all in. I loved the first games aesthetic and horror qualities but the story left a lot to be desired for me.

I am conflicted on this and def wanna see impressions and reviews, but will probably still buy this day one and play through it before Mario...

Dusk Golem doing God's work as always. I can't wait to play this, it's my most anticipated game of the year.

I'm currently replaying the dlcs of the first game on Kurayami mode as I hadn't done that yet, and I have to say I might be enjoying them more than during my first playthrough, since I'm not directly comparing them to the main game and complaining about how most of the mechanics I enjoyed are missing here.
The complete, absolute darkness of Kurayami mode reminds me a bit of older Silent Hill games, you turn off the flashlight and you literally can't see a thing. It sure adds to the sense of helplessness and isolation.

rtcn63

US cover
41je5owKLyL._SY346_.jpg

IrishNinja

damn, crept right up (no pun)...enjoyed the fist one but will likely wait on a sale on this one, hopefully it's not quite as padded out. also RE7 is my halloween game this year, but ill be keeping an eye out for a deal here!

ahahahaha

drotahorror

Weapons and character abilities are upgraded separately, using weapons parts for the former and gel for the latter (IIRC). And consumables can be crafted (not just bolts) at benches, with a slight penalty if you're doing it on the fly (higher mats used per).

In The Evil Within 2, there's four resources: Green Gel, Red Gel, Weapon Parts, and High-Grade Weapon Parts. Green Gel/Red Gel is for upgrading Sebastian himself's stats and for some special use things, Weapon Parts are for upgrading your weapons/repairing broken weapons.

Red Gel and High-Grade Weapon parts are rarer, but are needed to unlock some higher skills for both Sebastian (with Red Gel) and weapons (with High-Grade Weapon Parts).

For using Green Gel, it's not like using it for ammo but some special abilities you can unlock with Green Gel use it (like I am not certain of this, but I think the time slowdown ability you activate while aiming if you purchase that skill consumes green gel).

Sucks that it's likely used for Bullet Time, if a game has Bullet Time as an option, I have to get it. It's probably m favorite mechanic in a videogame. Hopefully the green gel is more of a throw away, maybe gives much less upgrade points, barely useful (moreso used for draining powers) and that mainly the red gel is used for upgrading.

drotahorror

If it's because of money it's understandable to be debating, but if you have the money one thing to keep in mind is the Evil Within 2 releases exactly 2 weeks (14 days) before both Wolfenstein and Mario (they both release on the 27th). So The Evil Within 2 could be a good thing to play to bide the time until them.

(andIwanttoseeTEW2succeed)

Yesterday I thought Wolf 2, EW2, and Shadow of War all came out on the 10th-13th. I was like, man I'ma be so busy won't even know what to play. I finally looked up the release dates of all of them.

I feel like I'm the only one excited about the new director. His work on Chapter 9 was excellent, and having new blood can lead to wonderful new ideas and experiences.

You're not the only one. When I found out Johanas was directing, I squealed like a goddamn fangirl.

So much about the sequel has me feeling apprehensive, but his work on TEW1 gave me a lot of faith in him as a designer and storyteller, so I'm convinced that the marketing campaign for this game is just shit and that the end product will blow my socks off.

First one was kind of a mixed bag and a bit of a disappointment. But hey, it had some good ideas and it's Mikami so I'll check this one out. I wish they double up on the balls to the wall surreal stuff, easily the best parts of the first game.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Ran out of room in the OP, but I want to ask you guys just to reiterate one more time, a month out how are you guys feeling towards The Evil Within 2? Positive, negative, thinking it'll find success, thinking it'll bomb? I'm curious where the current GAF tide is in general right now on the title with it so close to release.

Great opening post. A lot of info I didn't even know. Already pumped for the game and your post made it more so.

As for how the game will do, im expecting an 85+ metacritic and sales will surpass the original but I do think that the majority of sales will come later on when the game goes on sale and it's a slower period for releases. Just too many games in a stacked October.

For me, it's a pre-order and day one pick up. I gave the first TEW an 8.5/10. Expecting at least the same or possibly a 9/10. Either way, I know for sure that it's blowing away REVII.

In the on the fence crowd with this one too. Liked the first one in parts, but also had a lot of parts that I think back on and am not to hot about. Not sure what to think of this one, hopefully its less stealth sections in the opening and less blow everything up in the second half. Gimmie some balance please.

Vasili2K38

Great OP Dusk Golem, there were some previews I had not read. For me, together with Wolfenstein, its one of my most waited games this year. AAA survival horrors are almost inexistant :/. I love the evolution to a semi open world (I think people thinks TEW2 is going to be a GTA or Assassin's Creed XD, and they are freaking too much), and also the improvement in the technical aspect.

drotahorror

What all did John Johanas work on? I thought it was just the DLC. I can't anything about him doing Chapter 9.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

aravuus

Fuck yeah I'm excited. I've only seen a few seconds of the footage they've released and that's it, otherwise I know nothing about the game. Day one, though I should probably replay TEW soon, don't remember much of it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Preordered this a few weeks ago despite not digging the first one that much. Gotta support everything Mikami is doing.

btw.: There is a nice Steelbook for the game coming a well. Amazon.de offers it separately. Just if anyone is interested.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Also coming out on the same day:

- iPhone X preorders
- Super Mario Odyssey
- The new Wolfenstein
- Assassin's Creed Origins
- Saw
- Stranger Things

Jesus.

You mean same month, but yeah this October is pretty packed. It's advantageous in a few areas I mentioned above, but there is a lot releasing around that time.

Nope. He meant the same day all right. All of those are on the 27th. It's ridiculous.

Dusk Golem

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in there Day one as well! First one was a flawed masterpiece. I'm happy with another flawed masterpiece, but if they fix all the little shit, that's nothing but good.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Oh my, the 27th is a crazy day.

The Evil Within 2 is at least releasing 2 weeks ahead of this (TEW2 releases on October 13th), but late October is packed. Though TEW2 is the only big horror game releasing this October, it at least has going for it.

Haha. I was so focused on the fact that all of the other things he listed were the same day, I forgot to look at the titular game.

I'm really looking forward to this. I loved the story and setting of the original. The gameplay was pretty good too, but I thought it focused way too much on combat. The Kidman DLC was fantastic with the stealth focus.

Looking forward to finally finding out what happened to
Joseph.

Very much looking forward to the game. It'll be one of my few day 1s for the rest of the year. I've only seen the E3 trailers, and a bit of that side quest gameplay so I'll be going in mostly blind.

sphinx

the piano man
is there any kind of collector's or special edition planned for this game??

preferably available in Europe but any will do.

steven28

Pre-order has been placed for over a month.Even if it ends up getting 7/10 kinda scores i know i'm going to love it.The first game was quite divisive from what i remember,but i fell on that was an excellent experience side,even with the jank that it had.

drotahorror

Playing through the DLC right now. Beat The Assignment. I didn't like the first 30-40min but I enjoyed the rest, it was solid. Basically the parts with that leg/light creature. It looked sick, but the stealth revolving around that thing sucked. The mode you unlock sounds really cool though.

I will play through the 2nd DLC tomorrow.

Top Bottom