• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 releases in 2 days

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Played through all of TEW1 earlier this year and quite enjoyed it outside of the myriad of insta-death scenarios.

In many ways, the opening chapters were my favorite as it evoked tension and combat strategy through stealth and traps that the lategame mostly did away with in favor of heightened arena combat you couldn't circumvent or avoid. When you weren't surviving enemy waves, you were dealing with large invincible FOE's that have a radius of instant death to avoid or puzzle-solve to defeat, too many of them really(especially the DLC).

Hoping this sequel evokes the feel of the early game of the first. Creeping through a big environment and handling placed foes at your own whim(going in hot or with subtlety).

Pilgrimzero

I'm trying to go through the 1st one again, ever finished it the first time.

I realized pretty quickly what ticks me off about the game. Far FAR to many instant death bullshit. You better run away! And don't fuck up or you start the sequence over again!

That's not fun. That's trial and error bullshit. And it reached its head for me near the end when the ghost kid or whatever is hunting you in the house. Opened the wrong door apparently and dead. Fuck it.

I'm trying again to go all the way through since 2 looks better but yeah some real shitty design choices in the first game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Comes from four things, I did some digging and asking around to get some of it.

Ah.

The main take-away is it's not running on the same engine as TEW1 was, but I think that may have been a foundation and they upgraded it with some of the pieces of idTech 6 and then their own coding.

Yeah, I'd say it's a Void situation, just hopefully not as disastrous, haha.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

drotahorror

I'm excited but something I read about it doesn't sound like a fun way of managing resources.

Maybe I ready it wrong (not trying to read or see much about the game before playing it), but it seems like the Green Gel that is used for upgrades can also be used as a consumable? Like you can choose to use it for upgrades or, perhaps something else like a weapon or sorts but of course it's gone once you use it on some ammo or w/e it can be used for.

I dunno, I don't like that. Got it preordered though. I bought the first on day 1, but lost interest around chapter 6 or 7. Finally played through it this year again, and beat it. It had a lot of potential but the first half or so of the game was so much better than the last half.

rtcn63

I'm excited but something I read about it doesn't sound like a fun way of managing resources.

Maybe I ready it wrong (not trying to read or see much about the game before playing it), but it seems like the Green Gel that is used for upgrades can also be used as a consumable? Like you can choose to use it for upgrades or, perhaps something else like a weapon or sorts but of course it's gone once you use it on some ammo or w/e it can be used for.

I dunno, I don't like that. Got it preordered though. I bought the first on day 1, but lost interest around chapter 6 or 7. Finally played through it this year again, and beat it. It had a lot of potential but the first half or so of the game was so much better than the last half.

Weapons and character abilities are upgraded separately, using weapons parts for the former and gel for the latter (IIRC). And consumables can be crafted (not just bolts) at benches, with a slight penalty if you're doing it on the fly (higher mats used per).

Looking forward to this. Played the original multiple times, I'm actually doing another playthrough + DLC on Mixer. Was present at E3 and was at the Bethesda announcement (up front with a laptop in hand).

Hell, I already scheduled off work to get into it, Day one!

Can't say much about the game as I've been on a media blackout and you have no idea how hard that is when you're a gaming journalist ;(. Said I won't get a review copy, but I already pre-ordered this, I really hope it doesn't disappoint.

tew1.jpg

Aggelos

tumblr_ow84wiKaJA1se6ntfo1_1280.jpg

The game is running on a custom engine by Tango Gameworks, which uses some of the skeleton of both idTech 5 & 6 within it. A Frankenstein Engine, of sorts. They put it together to fit their own needs, but have aimed to elevate some issues of the original, including reducing and removing many load times, lowering the amount and time of texture pop-ins with the engine, allowing much easier HD resolutions and 60fps, and to have a lusher lighting system for them and to allow much bigger levels.

The game will support PS4 Pro and Xbox One X Enhancement, being able to run at 4K on PC, PS4 Pro, and XOX. It also has HDR support on all platforms.

Really?
2160c with solid 60fps on PS4Pro? Can they push it that far?
Or perhaps is it sth lower than 2160p on PS4Pro just to keep the 60fps?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evil_Within_2

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Looking forward to this. Played the original multiple times, I'm actually doing another playthrough + DLC on Mixer. Was present at E3 and was at the Bethesda announcement (up front with a laptop in hand).

Can't say much about the game as I've been on a media blackout and you have no idea how hard that is when you're a gaming journalist ;(. Said I won't get a review copy, but I already pre-ordered this, I really hope it doesn't disappoint.

tew1.jpg

man i liked the first game well enough but still only spent 40 hours on it, according to steam lol

Mostly just playing through once, then replaying the chapters I really liked and showing the beginning to friends

I didn't think there was even that much to do in the game (unless that counts the DLC too, which I did not play)

Paragon

I'm glad to hear that, the original Evli Within was such a dumpster fire on pc.
It's important to clarify that this was at launch (2014-10-14), and it was fixed about two months later (2014-12-10) - at least for NVIDIA GPUs. AMD still seems to have problems with id Tech 5 games.
If the game is (or was) randomly crashing, then something in your PC is not stable - most likely the GPU.

it weirdly ran completely fine on my dusty old machine even then.
At launch the game had performance issues where it was poorly threaded and GPU usage was very low. I had an i5-2500K, a GTX 970, and a 1080p60 display at the time, and the game would drop to about 40 FPS with GPU usage below 50% and CPU usage of about 40%.
After the game was patched, CPU usage was much higher, with the GPU able to be fully-utilized.
That system has my old GTX 570 in it now, and it can still run the game around 55-60 FPS if I drop the resolution to 720p - which is smooth if I lock it to 50Hz.
It even scales well to modern systems, with all 16 threads being well utilized on my Ryzen system.

Only older CPU's, the game seems to have issue doing a proper 60fps (framepacing issues or whatever). The only way to remedy it was to have a program that hooked into the exe like FRAPS running at the same time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU4TRi2KvQ0
Since the polling speed for the stats is low there, and even then it hits 95% GPU usage, I suspect the issue is that you have the settings turned up too high for that system.

rtcn63

Since the polling speed for the stats is low there, and even then it hits 95% GPU usage, I suspect the issue is that you have the settings turned up too high for that system.

Not my video, but I've read people still having the issue with higher end systems and/or dropping the settings. Using something like FRAPS would always fix it for some reason.

man i liked the first game well enough but still only spent 40 hours on it, according to steam lol

Mostly just playing through once, then replaying the chapters I really liked and showing the beginning to friends

I didn't think there was even that much to do in the game (unless that counts the DLC too, which I did not play)

Yeah, I played this back to back the first time, then again a few months afterward. But that's ok, this tame compared to all my Dark Souls 1-3 hours... something around 500-600 hrs per game

Aggelos

The PS4 TEW1 barely ran at 30 and looked kinda like shit. (I own it)

The PS4-Xbox1 TEW1 left much to be desired from a technical standpoint. Besides, it was the 1st game of small and newly-formed dev studio called Tango Gameworks.

Now, let's skip to the present for the forthcoming TEW2. If they're able to give anything beyond 1080p combined with well-paced 60fps on both PS4Pro and Xbox One X, then that's
a huge leap forward and a success story for the small studio called Tango Gameworks.
It's gonna be wait and see.

The PS4-Xbox1 TEW1 left much to be desired from a technical standpoint. Besides, it was the 1st game of small and newly-formed dev studio called Tango Gameworks.

Now, let's skip to the present for the forthcoming TEW2. If they're able to give anything beyond 1080p combined with well-paced 60fps on both PS4Pro and Xbox One X, then that's
a huge leap forward and a success story for the small studio called Tango Gameworks.
It's gonna be wait and see.

I haven't heard anything about what resolutions the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X would support. So I hit up my Bethesda rep. If they reply, I'll let everyone know. I also asked about the PC requirements, since I don't think we ever got those either. There's nothing on the Steam page either.

Paragon

Not my video, but I've read people still having the issue with higher end systems and/or dropping the settings. Using something like FRAPS would always fix it for some reason.
That doesn't make a lot of sense, since Afterburner is hooked into it for the video.
Just looks like the GPU is hitting 100% and dropping frames, but the polling rate is set too low to catch it.

rtcn63

That doesn't make a lot of sense, since Afterburner is hooked into it for the video.
Just looks like the GPU is hitting 100% and dropping frames, but the polling rate is set too low to catch it.

Maybe I linked a bad video, as in it doesn't show what I'm referring to. The actual thing looks more like bad framepacing a la Bloodborne, particularly when turning the camera. I could've sworn there were other videos somewhere.

I dunno.

theyturkerjurbs

Neo Member
Stellar work OP! I've booked 2 weeks off work for this, easily my most hyped game currently. Main concern is that framerate. Its the only thing that sours me on the first one, ps4 here.

At worst we'll get another solid, lengthy horror game. At best it could potentially be the next GOAT ala Re4 😆

TEW was a 7/10 for me on a good day. Encountered a near game breaking glitch on PS4 about 2-3 hours in but somehow made it past and there were a few good moments (some very good) mixed with quite a lot of average stuff. Don't regret buying it but at the same time I consider Resident Evil 4 to be the best game ever made so I was left a bit letdown.

I will buy this game but I'll be interested in seeing reviews and general opinion. The few bits of gameplay I've seen do look good I'll admit.

TheMoon

At launch the game had performance issues where it was poorly threaded and GPU usage was very low. I had an i5-2500K, a GTX 970, and a 1080p60 display at the time, and the game would drop to about 40 FPS with GPU usage below 50% and CPU usage of about 40%.
After the game was patched, CPU usage was much higher, with the GPU able to be fully-utilized.
That system has my old GTX 570 in it now, and it can still run the game around 55-60 FPS if I drop the resolution to 720p - which is smooth if I lock it to 50Hz.
It even scales well to modern systems, with all 16 threads being well utilized on my Ryzen system.

that's actually very close to the system I had then (i5 2500, gtx560) but I run an ancient screen at 720p and was cool with 30ish fps so that's what I meant by fine :D

JNT

I finished The Evil WIthin sometime during 2015 and I think it is one of the best horror experiences I've had in a long time. It's incredibly varied; At times it plays like Resident Evil 1, others like Resident Evil 4, and still other times like "modern" horror like Amnesia. The framerate is absolute garbage on PS4 though, but I managed to power through.

I should add that I am really looking forward to the sequel next month!

Mifec

Got it for 30 buckarinos which is exactly 50% and what I'm fine with paying for a Denuvo infested game so I'll be playing on release.

Cautiously optimistic. All the actual gameplay I saw I liked and both Seb and Juli have better VAs now. Only fear is bad performance but I hope I can just power through with a 1080 at 1440/60.

Audioserf

tew1.jpg

Goddamn, I don't even have that kind of playtime on Resident Evil 4, which I finished 9 times when it came out (there's no time played counter on the Gamecube but I know that it can't have been that much).

I enjoyed the first game even though it supplemented its highs and amazing ideas with huge lows. Never got through my New Game + playthrough because the game just had so many problems with its encounter design.

Liked it enough to have EW2 on preorder though, so here's hoping it fixes everything that was fucked up about the first.

Also, doth mine eyes deceive me OP, the game runs at 60fps on console? Sacre bleu!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm excited. I enjoyed the atmosphere and gameplay of the first one for the most part (story was nonsense), but petered out around chapter 10 or 11 or so if I remember correctly.

I recently tried to install it and finally finish it, but some combination of Windows 10 Creator's Update and AMD hardware seems to completely break id Tech 5 games.

Frame rate was capped to like 20 fps and it wouldn't go full screen properly. Totally busted.

Shredderi

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm worried. Very high quality games published by Bethesda haven't done well lately. I'm worried about this trend of really good games not doing well since why should the publisher do more of those if all of them pretty much fails. I want more games like this, and wolfenstein and dishonored and Prey. I love well done single player games.

I'm really hyped for this game but I never finished the first one. Got about halfway through and dropped it when some new games came along.

Should I wait till I finish the first game in order to buy this?

Azzanadra

I'm so ready, the first game was my GOTY for 2014- the definition of a flawed gem. I hope hey surprise me with the setting though, hopefully it doesn't all take place in a small American town.

I'm so stoked i might actually cancel my cdkeys preorder and pay full price through steam to support the devs. Did the same thing with Dishonored: death of the outsider

Wouldn't a single 1080 be sufficient anyway?

Don't worry, I played the game on a single 1080 with a i7 and I easily got 90+fps on max settings at 1440p.

Lol you really don't need that to run this game. Just enough to pass the bumpy parts early on, after it runs like a dream on even mid range pcs

It was those fog and rain effects that made it run like shit

I think I left out a pretty crucial detail; I want to run this in 4k/60 :p

TEW1 if I remember right, I ran fine with a single 1080 (it's superclocked) but not sure how TEW2 will fare.

Izcarielo

Banned
Loved the first game, and even if TEW2 seems a bit different from a gameplay and level perspective (more sandboxy) im sure im gonna like it tol

Top Bottom