• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The FINAL Daily Show with Jon Stewart - a thread had to be made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I always thought Larry was a really weak corespondent on TDS, so I still haven't bothered to check out his show.

Kilborn showed up on a live feed. Made a joke, IIRC, about Jon driving the show into the ground. Unfortunately it was quick and the crowd barely responded. Nice touch, though.
Kilborn is great. He was much more subtle, like the joke you mentioned, in his Late Late Show at a time when Conan was winning people over with wild, over-the-top stuff. I felt he was never really appreciated. Although I think Ferguson's show was probably even better.

Penguin

Last Week Tonight's little thanks to Jon

CMDnA38UMAAWeUl.jpg

Silexx

Last Week Tonight's little thanks to Jon

CMDnA38UMAAWeUl.jpg

Nice.

Semi-related : So Bill Maher made absolutely no mention Jon's last show on Real Time or anywhere else for that matter. I know he doesn't have the connection to him like Oliver does, but it still astounds me that he would not make an effort to acknowledge a significant contemporary of his.

I always wondered if Maher's takedown of Jon's Rally to Restore Sanity may have caused some bad blood between the two that was never resolved.

Nice.

Semi-related : So Bill Maher made absolutely no mention Jon's last show on Real Time or anywhere else for that matter. I know he doesn't have the connection to him like Oliver does, but it still astounds me that he would not make an effort to acknowledge a significant contemporary of his.

I always wondered if Maher's takedown of Jon's Rally to Restore Sanity may have caused some bad blood between the two that was never resolved.

Bill Maher is insufferable enough on his own, and when you add to the fact that his audience will cheer wildly for anything he says, no matter how uninformed, makes his show unwatchable. I used to watch Real Time but I'm so completely done with him now.

Silexx

Bill Maher is insufferable enough on his own, and when you add to the fact that his audience will cheer wildly for anything he says, no matter how uninformed, makes his show unwatchable. I used to watch Real Time but I'm so completely done with him now.

Be that as it may, if you watched any if Bill's appearances on the Daily Show before the rally, there was a usually a lively discussion between the two marked by a mutual respect of one another. Afterwards though, when Bill would come on Jon would just let him do whatever stand-up routine he had at the time railing the Republicans and wrap up the interview. In fact, Jon never even appeared on Real Time. Granted, they're both on opposite side of the coasts, but I figured that when Jon was promoting Rosewater that would have been a prime opportunity to show up, but it never happened.

I may be reading too much into things, but I always wondered why two of the top satirical comedians in the US who who both cut from the same cloth have barely ever acknowledged each other throughout these years.

Same here. John Oliver's show is so much better in every way. More informative, less demeaning, a lot funnier, and it doesn't have Bill Maher attached to it which means I can get my conservative relatives to watch the show and become more informed.

I really hope that Oliver's show continues being popular because it's basically a version of the daily show that doesn't have commercials and thus gets more time to be informative.

Cuburt

Such a terrific final episode.

Could have been a send off for the whole show.

Jon Stewart is a real class act.

End of an era for certain.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Same here. John Oliver's show is so much better in every way. More informative, less demeaning, a lot funnier, and it doesn't have Bill Maher attached to it which means I can get my conservative relatives to watch the show and become more informed.

I really hope that Oliver's show continues being popular because it's basically a version of the daily show that doesn't have commercials and thus gets more time to be informative.

Dropping the interview helps. Oliver may have guests on, but they contribute to the topic of the week in the majority of cases. There are plenty of talk shows anyway that do interviews, I'm glad they did not feel the need to be another.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

There was some handwringing about Oliver being over at HBO when he was the perfect replacement for Stewart, but to be honest...

I don't know how much sway a Comedy Central show can have going forward, anyway. TV is shifting (glacially, but still) towards ala carte, and HBO is the embodiment of that. Last Week Tonight is the perfect length and HBO is the perfect place for it to keep the spirit of the Daily Show going.

The other guy with a chance to carry the torch to greater heights is obviously... Colbert.

Suikoguy

He quit his show to spend more time with his kids, no way would he ever run.

Yeah, that monologue on bullshit on the final episode to me says he wants to get away from it. I don't blame him, it gets to be draining, I could not imagine doing it for as long as he did.

he should do it just to troll against donald trump lol

meta daily show

The debate would be so damn ugly. In a good way, lol.

Jintor

Finally catching up, didn't have access to reliable net while on the road when it aired. God damn. End of an era. I'd never really thought about how much this show meant to me, but god damn, I'm so glad it existed. I'm past my days of tuning in every day to see the latest, especially when it was so America-centric (understandably so), and there was a period where it got too much even to laugh at and it was just easier to block it out, but I'd always come back to the political world and back to the Daily Show and Colbert.

Vale Stewart, and Vale this era of the Daily Show.

TTG

Is it bad etiquette to bump this thread? I came across an interview with Jon, which was like the third time I've seen him on anywhere besides hosting his show, a surprisingly small amount considering I've been watching The Daily show perennially for 5+ years. Anyway I thought it was funny: Jon Stewart tells a story.

danielcw

Anbody notice Seth Meyers starts his show now at his desk Daily Show style now?

Yeah, he has been doing it for a few weeks. It actually made news on entertainment sites.

But I would not call it Daily Show style.
It is not like the daily show has pioneered or codifed this style.
Just think about Seth Meyers former gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom