• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanC

As long as Jordan and Roy Wood are still around I'm happy. With some occasional appearances from Lewis Black and Kristen Schaal for good measures.

Williams was good, but she seems to be doing less the past few months so her leaving isn't that big of a shock to the system.

Not

Banned
I checked in with a recent episode and enjoyed it. I don't think I've hated an episode yet. It's not a routine thing, but this show is aiight

Can't be said for Nightly Show unfortunately

Drakeon

I checked in with a recent episode and enjoyed it. I don't think I've hated an episode yet. It's not a routine thing, but this show is aiight

Can't be said for Nightly Show unfortunately

I assume the Nightly show is doing terrible, but I guess I don't actually know that for a fact? I tried to watch it a few times, but I've never liked the panel format, especially when they show a hesitancy to call out bullshit from one of the panelists (see: Anti-Vaxxer free to spout their ignorance).

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I like (almost) all the current crop of correspondents and contributors. Roy is probably my favourite. Jordan is solid though I'm not overly a fan of the clueless reporter character style. Ronny had a rocky start but I think does well with good material.

Michelle Wolf is terrible though. Her material is fine, but her delivery is just bad and she has awkward forced attempts at showing chemistry with Trevor. Imagining Kristen Schaal delivering her lines seems like it could be so much better.

I like (almost) all the current crop of correspondents and contributors. Roy is probably my favourite. Jordan is solid though I'm not overly a fan of the clueless reporter character style. Ronny had a rocky start but I think does well with good material.

Michelle Wolf is terrible though. Her material is fine, but her delivery is just bad and she has awkward forced attempts at showing chemistry with Trevor. Imagining Kristen Schaal delivering her lines seems like it could be so much better.

Yeah Michelle is terrible. Her jokes are actually good but the way she performs them is just horrible.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Basically this picture says it all of his demeanor:
CVvUp7mWEAAs9nA.jpg

What's the context of these shots? I don't remember these round-tables.

FunkyMonk

They are/were 9/11 first responders. The people who willingly went into the towers as they were burning to rescue people, managed to get out and then the US govt. blocked paying for the health care they needed after breathing in asbestos dust and various other carcinogenic chemicals.

Jon did great work drawing attention to their plight and that second appearance was so poignant.

gabbo

The empty chairs represent the first responders who have since died between the two segments. This is in part due to congress not paying for their health care despite using them as a cudgel for any and all patriotic chest thumping congress can conceive.

RoKKeR

Haven't watched the show much recently, but his segment on the first night of the RNC was really really good. "Make America Safe Again" = "Make America Fear Again" is spot on.

gabbo

Ah sorry, I mean "on fire" as in he's passionately raging at the Republicans ^^;;

As they've started targeting certain groups; LGBT and getting behind police shootings, he's really started to go off a lot more. He's not on Jon's "mother FUCKER" levels of anger, but it's starting to show through his usual demeanour

undrtakr900

^^^ Agreed, he getting more passionate about things like the black men shootings, or when Ben Carson claimed Barrack Obama was "black" because he didn't grow up poor.

undrtakr said:
He came back to TDS to shame the Republicans Congress into passing the "First Responders Bill" that provides health-care for the 9/11 first responders.

I couldn't find the original Panel videos, but here's similar ones Jon did:

Here's the original videos:
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/i58xmo/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-worst-responders

Rachel Maddow covers the first panel:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLd_eyGu52SH_nLGu-IzbQxX3SI2cz9IuI&v=4r3JT8F-6BQ

Jon returns to TDS to shame Congress:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-L11Bxolo44

He even showed up to Stephen Colbert's Late Nite show, to get the message out:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jHHQ9WdFekc

undrtakr900

Ensirius

Jon Stewart is an extremely stand-up guy, I wish people with his tenacity to help others were in power.
He is one of those weird people that don't exist anymore. He actually backs up everything he says with actions. It's just so strange to see in today's society where deception and hypocrisy are so abundant.

Kaleinc

Banned
The show now is rather boring. Mr. Noah laughs too much, narrates without significant emotional bumps like ultra angry/loud etc parts Stewart had, no accessories (clown noses, dildos), zero funny audience interactions. Interviews are like powerful words, this is a powerful story. He also repeats some sentences 2 or 3 times, this is disaster. But at least the dude finally pronounces women right.

5.5/10

So...this week Trevor has been starting off the show with this stupid joke about an invisible band...I thought the joke would have ended on Monday, but here it is Thursday night and he just kept it going.

I'm starting to believe that all of the (John Stewart-era) Daily Show writers have just left at this point.

gabbo

So...this week Trevor has been starting off the show with this stupid joke about an invisible band...I thought the joke would have ended on Monday, but here it is Thursday night and he just kept it going.

I'm starting to believe that all of the (John Stewart-era) Daily Show writers have just left at this point.

Or they're trying a new approach? That being said, I agree, the joke has run its course

I don't think the show is as bad you you guys are making it out to be. I think he is starting to have his own voice. I don't always agree with him and I don't like some of the jokes, but overall I enjoy it. Plus some of the new correspondents are really good. I would say even better than many of the Jon's correspondents.

Roy Wood Jr, Jordan Klepper, Hassan Minaj and Desi Lydic are all great. Not really feeling Ronnie Chieng or Michelle Wolf.

Trevor felt like he was coming into his own during the conventions, but this last week it seems like every joke that came out of his mouth has fallen flat.

BigDug13

I don't think the show is as bad you you guys are making it out to be. I think he is starting to have his own voice. I don't always agree with him and I don't like some of the jokes, but overall I enjoy it. Plus some of the new correspondents are really good. I would say even better than many of the Jon's correspondents.

I think the whole "finding his own voice" only works if he is as smart, well read, and passionate about these issues as someone like Stewert or Colbert. Part of the reason why their shows worked so well is how intelligent those two men were in their positions and how well they fit into a political commentary role.

I don't think they went out of their way to find someone with those same qualities in Noah. He's a comedian trying to do political commentary instead of a comedian wanting to do political commentary if that makes sense. Jon Stewart converted Kilborn's celebrity-based Daily Show into the political satire show it became because he wanted it to happen.

I guess my point is if Noah converts the show into what he wants, it simply has zero chance of being better than how Stewart left it because Noah's "voice" isn't targeted towards the same political satire passion as Stewart's which is what made the show special.

Kronotech

Yeah I've been giving Trevor a chance. Watched every ep so far. This week has been terrible. So many jokes fall flat. The other night was painful, where the audience had maybe one person laughing at everything. I felt bad.

I like Trevor's personality but he always feels lost in his interviews and follows a standard unnatural format. I'll keep watching for a while but I REALLY hope he loosens up.

Not that I miss The Nightly Show or anything...but they really need to fill that 11:30 time slot with another political satire show because I'm really starting to notice the glaring flaws in Noah's Daily Show.

I would want Hassan Minaj to give hosting a try.

I think the whole "finding his own voice" only works if he is as smart, well read, and passionate about these issues as someone like Stewert or Colbert. Part of the reason why their shows worked so well is how intelligent those two men were in their positions and how well they fit into a political commentary role.

I don't think they went out of their way to find someone with those same qualities in Noah. He's a comedian trying to do political commentary instead of a comedian wanting to do political commentary if that makes sense. Jon Stewart converted Kilborn's celebrity-based Daily Show into the political satire show it became because he wanted it to happen.

I guess my point is if Noah converts the show into what he wants, it simply has zero chance of being better than how Stewart left it because Noah's "voice" isn't targeted towards the same political satire passion as Stewart's which is what made the show special.

The difference is that I'm actually OK with Noah taking a step back from politics as long as the show remains good. I actually think he is making a mistake by clinging onto politics so much. He seems to care about other topics that impact society, so he should concentrate on those. Keep in mind that Stewart wasn't really on top of his game the last few years either so I don't necessarily attribute the drop in quality to Noah.

EDIT: And I think all of us would agree that his interviews suck, but so do Colbert's interviews now. I really can't think of one nightly show with good interviews anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom