• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The FINAL Daily Show with Jon Stewart - a thread had to be made

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKyo

Colbert was the best part about it. That was a great speech

My favorite part as well. It's weird because it was so touching and beautiful but that little speech was almost like fanservice for the audience, getting to see Stewart and his protege Colbert interacting in such an off script way with so much emotion involved.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It's weird to see Colbert thanking Stewart for bringing him onto the show when Colbert was on the show first. :p

Man, Springsteen was really like the only person who could've pulled that off. I loved everything in the finale with the exception of his 'bullshit' speech. Given all the amazing speeches Jon has given, especially in times of trouble like after 9/11 or Sandy Hook, I thought he could've ended on a higher note. Focusing on 'bullshit' felt like a crutch.

Sad to see Jon go.

Thank you Comedy Central for not region locking the episode. It was beautiful to see everyone on the show. Jon and the crew have been amazing. I didn't realize that they would have such a huge behind the scene crew though. Obviously it takes quite a few people to organize a show, but wow that was a small village.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm glad he did the BS bit, that and the Colbert part were the best. Colbert nearly upstaged Jon on his own show.

I think once Bush was gone the show kinda lost a bit, I wonder if the prospect of Hillary Clinton being the next Prez played a part in his decision to leave since she wouldn't provide as much material.

I have to admit that I was a bit tired of some of Stewarts quirks, but it's still a bummer to see him go. The thing I loved about Stewart and Colbert was how you never knew when you were about to see a great show, every night had a chance to be a Glen Beck parody or a poor people have fridges classic.

What a downer period for talk shows. I guess it can only go up from here right?!

There's still John Oliver - who has really knocked it out the park - and Colbert is starting the Late Show in a little bit.

Sad to see him go. :( Feels like I've been watching the Daily Show for sooo long, it just wont feel right now without him, really enjoy his humor and views on the world.

The genuine moments between him and Colbert are the literal best. Best part of the final.

The Daily Show is one of the few shows that I watch on a regular basis. Jon and his team are incredible and sifting through the all bull shit politics and news to bring us their point of view in a real, entertaining way. He made me more interested in politics for sure. He truly is a legend and will be missed.

Keasar

It's hard to swallow really. :(

13-14 years of closely following Stewart and The Daily Show and now he is leaving. Colberts' speech really hit hard. He's been an idol all these years and I am gonna miss him so much.

The Daily Show is one of the few shows that I watch on a regular basis. Jon and his team are incredible and sifting through the all bull shit politics and news to bring us their point of view in a real, entertaining way. He made me more interested in politics for sure. He truly is a legend and will be missed.

Same. I am not an American. I am a Swede watching America through a glass window with interest what's gonna happen next. Listening to Stewart and watching The Daily Show though opened me to keep an eye on news and politics in general a lot more than I had before.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm still sad... like it didn't really hit me yet but I know everything is going to be different now. A show I was watching since 15 GONE.

I really really hope Jon's family gets tired of him being around the farm and he teams up with Louis CK or even Chris Rock for a standup special.

I can't wait to start the conversation with Stewart again!!!!

Man, Springsteen was really like the only person who could've pulled that off. I loved everything in the finale with the exception of his 'bullshit' speech. Given all the amazing speeches Jon has given, especially in times of trouble like after 9/11 or Sandy Hook, I thought he could've ended on a higher note. Focusing on 'bullshit' felt like a crutch.

Sad to see Jon go.
I understood and appreciate this sincerely. Jon was there every night sniffing out the bullshit. He's now asking us to be diligent and do the same. Don't get fooled into another war, another bullshit policy. Be vigilant. I get it and appreciate it.

ps... Colbert did an amazing fantastic job and showed everyone last night why he's going to end up better than Carson by the time it's all said and done.

Ultima_5

anyone wanna throw out some guesses on what he will do next?

book, stand up special, another movie, podcast(?)

those are my guesses in order

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

His wife will help him write a book, then he'll do a podcast and when that gains enough traction he'll team up with Louis CK or Rock for a standup special.

Then of course comes the HBO gig with him and Brian Williams. :)

nilbog21

Banned

presidency

also, what was wyatt cenac doing on the show after he shit all over jon on maron's podcast? this dude is a turd for doing that right before his departure

Man, last night was tough - still recovering from the finale. Being a daily watcher for so many years, the lack of Stewart will leave a certain... emptiness for a while, I think.

The finale itself was all I could have hoped for, and truly sent me down a whirlwind through memory lane.

I sincerely hope it isn't too long until we have the honor of resuming the conversation. Something from Colbert's finale keeps springing into my head: "We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when..."

Thanks for so many years of brilliance, Jon.

presidency

also, what was wyatt cenac doing on the show after he shit all over jon on maron's podcast? this dude is a turd for doing that right before his departure

Clearly it wasn't a big deal or else he wouldn't have been invited back.

I'm sad to see that this is the end. I never kept up with The Daily Show regularly, but I'd always turn to it and mainline two or three weeks when I needed someone to talk sense about the world.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
presidency

All of that seems overblown, a bump in the road of an imperfect relationship where both occasionally had faults.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I loved everything in the finale with the exception of his 'bullshit' speech. Given all the amazing speeches Jon has given, especially in times of trouble like after 9/11 or Sandy Hook, I thought he could've ended on a higher note. Focusing on 'bullshit' felt like a crutch.
I think his delivery could have been better, but i think the topic he chose was the right one to properly encapsulate the overarching theme of his tenure and to "continue the conversation" as it were.

Then of course comes the HBO gig with him and Brian Williams. :)
:-o That would be the final straw that forces me to subscribe to HBO.

I enjoyed last night's episode. the correspondents coming back was the best part, especially after seeing so many of them again during The Month of Zen. Jon's POV segment going through the office was great too.

Back in 2005-2008ish I use to watch The Daily Show, followed by Colbert (once it finally started airing in Canada), then catch the last half of Letterman because I sure as hell wouldn't watch Jay Leno, and then switch to NBC for Conan. Sad to think it's all gone now, well except Conan I guess but he doesn't click with me anymore like he did when I was in high school/college.
Eventually, I ended up just watching Craig Ferguson who I still think was the best of the bunch, but he's gone now too. Colbert replacing Dave seems promising because so far Fallon, Myers, Corden, Willmore, etc all fail to live up to their predecessors, for me at least.
except Fallon > Leno, but keep in mind Fallon < Conan

so1337

presidency

The bit with Cenac was intentionally awkward. They made up. Jon doesn't seem like the type of person that would hold a grudge anyway.
Liked his show but only ever watched it here and there, why he quit?
Basically he wanted to end on a high note.

Madrin

Great finale. I didn't get choked up until the end when it suddenly hit me that Jon is one of the only TV personalities that has actually influenced my own personality.

Jon and Colbert are both legends. I hope the next generation is lucky enough to get comedic and political voices as memorable as those two.

My favourite moments in order:

The Colbert thank you speech. Water everywhere.

Wyatt showing up. They held him back just long enough for me to think maybe he wasn't going to show so Wyatt actually being there was an even bigger surprise.

Gitmo. We'll get you out soon Gitmo!

labaronx

Excellent send off. I started watching the daily show in 2000 and been a fan ever since

The only other time a tv show made me cry was the last episode of scrubs as jd leaves the hospital and everyone he remembers is there.

Stewart will likely take some time off 2 years. But i can see him doing podcast or radio

An-Det

Damn that was perfect. While I didn't watch every night, Jon was always there since high school. Especially with the Month of Zen getting me refreshed on so much that I had forgotten, that was a wonderful way to end it.

Heartfyre

I don't feel too sad about it, mostly because I'm certain this won't be the last we see of Jon. He's been very vague about his future plans, and if he were truly going to grow corn in New Jersey, he wouldn't be so cagey. He has plans he has yet to reveal and/or a NDA. We'll most certainly see less of him (hard to keep four episodes a week going), but I wouldn't be half surprised to see him take on a long-form weekly talk show. It'd free up a lot of extra time for him, as seems to be part of his reasoning for leaving.

Colbert is the highlight every time he's on air. It's always been true of his time on The Daily Show, and it was true last night.

I've watched Jon since I was about 10 years old. Given that my dad is moderate-right and my mom is the most extremely conservative person I've ever encountered in real life, I'd say Jon's commentary (and Colbert's to a lesser extent) played a huge role in shaping how I interpret and deal with a lot of political issues. I guess teachers at school and peers play some small role as well, but they never talked politics with me at that age the way Jon did every night for over 16 years. I really look forward to what he does next, whenever that is.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Using "Born to Run" as the sendoff is going to create rumors that Jon Stewart is going to run for the senate or house.

Finally got a chance to watch this.

Colbert is such a force of nature. And I really enjoyed Jon's last segment being about lies and bullshit.

GaimeGuy

Finally got a chance to watch this.

Colbert is such a force of nature. And I really enjoyed Jon's last segment being about lies and bullshit.

It's so true.

I'm a software engineer, and one of the things I have to do is provide SLOC (Source Lines of Code) estimates for system enhancements. It's largely bullshit before you get into the high level design phase, but we give it our best estimate anyways.. And then the managers put an uncertainty factor on it (usually start out at 2.0, then reduces over time).

At the end of development, if our final SLOC total is dead on, or say, 10% below or above what we estimated at the start, do you know what they ask us? "Why were you so far off from your original estimate of *original figure multiplied by 2.0*"

As engineers we're taught to consider the "worst-case scenario," so that is already reflected in our estimates. the lines of code total blows up when we accidentally overlook something major in our initial estimates. Generally if we identify all the things we have to address, our estimates will be higher than the final total, or close to it, assuming we overestimate a bit. So the 2.0 factor is a buffer for "gotchas", but management treats it like the "actual" estimate we make.

And that's at the technical level of a STEM field. Get up into management, or business, or HR, or politics, the bullshit levels get jacked up 1000x

It's so true.

I'm a software engineer, and one of the things I have to do is provide SLOC (Source Lines of Code) estimates for system enhancements. It's largely bullshit before you get into the high level design phase, but we give it our best estimate anyways.. And then the managers put an uncertainty factor on it (usually start out at 2.0, then reduces over time).

At the end of development, if our final SLOC total is dead on, or say, 10% below or above what we estimated at the start, do you know what they ask us? "Why were you so far off from your original estimate of *original figure multiplied by 2.0*"

As engineers we're taught to consider the "worst-case scenario," so that is already reflected in our estimates. the lines of code total blows up when we accidentally overlook something major in our initial estimates. Generally if we identify all the things we have to address, our estimates will be higher than the final total, or close to it, assuming we overestimate a bit. So the 2.0 factor is a buffer for "gotchas", but management treats it like the "actual" estimate we make.

It's so true.

Also: I dont' think anyone actually thinks Jon Stewart is gonna run for office of any kind. He'll probably just direct more movies. Write a book.

I don't think he's gonna start podcasting at any point, either.

Fantastic finale, I loved the Goodfellas bit since its my favorite movie in the world and Jon's too, Scorcese's little cameo was the cherry on top.

I don't get the Wyatt thing and why it felt so awkward but I haven't really followed the story much.

Seeing all the correspondents was awesome, I sorta wish Colbert and Carrell had done one final Even Steven with Jon.

We'll miss ya Jon

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kind of cool Wyatt Cenac was there but that segment was more awkward than funny-because-it's-awkward.

Either way, I'm gonna miss Jon a lot. So many memories.

Kind of cool Wyatt Cenac was there but that segment was more awkward than funny-because-it's-awkward.

I don't think it was awkward because of "feelings" or whatever. About half of those interactions were awkward, with the comic timing being pretty spotty thanks to fighting/accomodating all the crowd noise. Basically, everything after Aasif was sort of a crapshoot as to whether jokes were gonna land like they were supposed to, because it was all on rails at that point and they couldn't account for the crowd. Corddry(s), Rocca/Degeneres, Munn, Cenac, Black, Bee, Schaal - they all kinda got stranded a little bit. Even Carell.

GaimeGuy

Fantastic finale, I loved the Goodfellas bit since its my favorite movie in the world and Jon's too, Scorcese's little cameo was the cherry on top.

I don't get the Wyatt thing and why it felt so awkward but I haven't really followed the story much.

Seeing all the correspondents was awesome, I sorta wish Colbert and Carrell had done one final Even Steven with Jon.

We'll miss ya Jon

Either way, I'm gonna miss Jon a lot. So many memories.

They were totally playing off of the "scandal." after wyatt's recent comments, making it awkward on purpose.

Come on, if Wyatt really had such a terrible time, or had a problem with Stewart, do you think he would have stayed on for 5 years, or showed up at the finale? He was just telling a story and pointing out how it can get awkward or lonely at times for African Americans in traditionally white-dominated fields of work when they're the only black person around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom