• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The FINAL Daily Show with Jon Stewart - a thread had to be made

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I saw the sax near the beginning of the show I wondered if he got Springsteen to show up, glad to see I was right. What an incredible show.

Fugu

I like that he did a show for himself and his staff. It was less fun that way but I liked it better.

Sanjuro

Is this the end of the first repeat? I can't tell.

Can't say I'm going to miss Stewart, he basically feels like the old man who has been overlapped in every way. I miss his old stuff.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So this is just ending on the Canadian CTV feed.

Loved the Wyatt Cenac moment. I think they're okay if only they did a live bit. If it was really bad they would have done it pre-recorded.

I preferred the Colbert ending. Best final ep of all the late nite finales from the last few years.

nib95

Banned
Damn, I'm gonna miss him on the show. End of an era.

salute-640x360.jpg

Is it weird to say he's my Cronkite? Seriously. He's given some of the most definitive newsman monologues in the last decade and a half. Fuck. I'm gonna miss that guy.

Goodbye, Jon.

Jobbs

Banned
TRULY the end of an era. Jon took over the daily show when I was in my formative teen years and I've grown up watching him. There's no other voice quite like Jon. No one else does what he does. The new guy may or may not be good, we'll see, but it just won't be the same. I certainly can't imagine someone as young and green as Trevor being able to take down the likes of Fox News with quite the same authority as Jon did. Jon was uniquely skilled not only as a comedian and a television performer, but equally important, he was incredibly smart, well versed, and articulate in ways that few other people are. When guests came on, if needed he would challenge them and call them on their bullshit -- But it was always just the right tone, never angry or mean.

I feel admiration for and connection to Jon in ways that I don't think I feel for any other television personality. Conan may come close, but it's not the same because Conan is only a clown. Jon's a clown but he talked about real shit every night too.

It was really sweet seeing him dance with his kids when Bruce was playing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
5xGswVQ.png

I'd have to rank Colbert's final episode as more memorable, but this one was a great send off.

And can't say no to 10 minutes of Springsteen.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Having rewatched so much of the earlier Daily Show it was fantastic to see so many of the old corespondents. No Frank DeCaro though, but basically everyone else :)

I hope Trevor carves his own Legacy, you can't replace Jon that's for damn sure.

Amazing loss of Talk Show hosts in 2 years, damn. Colbert, Letterman and now Stewart.

[IMG ] http://i.imgur.com/5xGswVQ.png [/IMG]

I'd have to rank Colbert's final episode as more memorable, but this one was a great send off.

And can't say no to 10 minutes of Springsteen.

True, but Colbert was a "Character" more than Jon ever was. This was exactly what I expected the last Daily Show to be, while Colbert's ending was similarly what I expected.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Oh and them doing Goodfellas for the crew was great.

Having rewatched so much of the earlier Daily Show it was fantastic to see so many of the old corespondents. No Frank DeCaro though, but basically everyone else :)

I forgot he had that many corespondents. Was anyone else missing? I was actually surprised to see Wyatt. Though it was nice seeing them play to the awkwardness.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Oh and them doing Goodfellas for the crew was great.

I forgot he had that many corespondents. Was anyone else missing? I was actually surprised to see Wyatt. Though it was nice seeing them play to the awkwardness.

Beth Littleford was another of the missing; I expected her become more famous but she never did. I loved her on the earlier shows.

linsivvi

I hope Trevor carves his own Legacy, you can't replace Jon that's for damn sure.

Amazing loss of Talk Show hosts in 2 years, damn. Colbert, Letterman and now Stewart.

We didn't exactly lose Colbert, did we? And we get John Oliver in the process.

If nothing else, Jon is good at finding talents, so I am optimistic about Trevor.

so1337

I never really watched The Daily Show before "Your month of Zen" but I've become a huge fan of Stewart in a very short amount of time. It's an incredible show and I'm sad to see it (in it's current form) end.

Great to see Vance Degeneres one more time. Secretly the best correspondent.

edit: Oh, and "Born to Run" as the sendoff? Perfect.

So which correspondents didn't show up in any form?

Not really a correspondent, but Frank DeCaro was definitely missing. Such a great send off though.

I feel like I am watching a George Carlin routine.

Yeah I am at that part too... it really does feel like something that George Carlin would've written. But edited to be much less harsh.

Feels like something is missing with Stewart and Colbert gone. End of an era.

Colbert's not gone, he's just switching formats. But yeah, Jon being gone will leave a hole. Though when he was interviewing Louis CK, he did mention that he may still be coming back to TV in a different fashion.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It was very fun and nice to see all the correspondents and contributors come back. I bet that party was great.

There are quite a few short term correspondents and contributors that didn't appear, there's rather comprehensive list of everyone here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Daily_Show_correspondents

Demetri Martin is probably one of the bigger names missing. He was a contributor for a few years, and Jon Stewart then produced his Comedy Central show. I never particularly liked him though, so oh well.

Great finale, especially the monologue on bullshit and all the correspondents (so much talent, colbert's thank you at the end was fantastic)

He pretty much was the new gen's most important news correspondent

RC

Banned
I really wished he could've stuck around for one more year.

The Daily show was a part of my weekday routine for so many years now. I don't what I'll do without it. I'll miss you Jon.

I really wished he could've stuck around for one more year.

The Daily show was a part of my weekday routine for so many years now. I don't what I'll do without it. I'll miss you Jon.

I think this is a pretty good spot to bow out. 2015/ 2016 will be a good starting point for Trevor Noah to prime himself for the 2016 elections. Just like how Jon had a year to prime himself before the 2000 elections. Which was a really defining moment for Jon Stewart's career.

RC

Banned
I think this is a pretty good spot to bow out. 2015/ 2016 will be a good starting point for Trevor Noah to prime himself for the 2016 elections. Just like how Jon had a year to prime himself before the 2000 elections. Which was a really defining moment for Jon Stewart's career.

If Trump ends up winning the GOP nomination, Trevor will have all the material he'll ever need.

I've been watching the Daily Show since 2006 and that was a great finale. I hope Trevor does a good job, especially since most if not all of the staff is carrying over from Jon's tenure.

Oliver's been knocking it out of the park since Last Week Tonight started, and if Colbert's promotional videos are any indication, his Late Show run could be something really special.

If Trump ends up winning the GOP nomination, Trevor will have all the material he'll ever need.

It will be Bush all over again... but this time (possibly) without the rigged election.

I do hope Jon still finds a way to stay involved as a comedic political pundit. Even if he has to do it on Youtube.

bengraven

Stewart took over two years after I graduated high school. He's been on the show my ENTIRE adult life. It's weird to comprehend that.

I didn't watch it all the time and had long runs where I never tuned in due to actual adult things, but he was a constant - the one show on TV I could GUARANTEE a laugh or three.

I think in some ways he helped make me an adult - he certainly made me more politically minded, more interested in politics and the world around me, more compassionate of human beings, even the stupid, crazy, and hateful ones. I guess now we have to do it on our own.

I don't know what it's going to be like without him on that show every night.

One of my favorite daily show moments was Rob Riggle (I think) in China for the Olympics and goes to a KFC talking about sampling the cuisine of the province of Kentucky but says it like Kin Tuck Ay. My god that still makes me laugh when I think about it.

spliced

I'm glad he did the BS bit, that and the Colbert part were the best. Colbert nearly upstaged Jon on his own show.

I think once Bush was gone the show kinda lost a bit, I wonder if the prospect of Hillary Clinton being the next Prez played a part in his decision to leave since she wouldn't provide as much material.

I have to admit that I was a bit tired of some of Stewarts quirks, but it's still a bummer to see him go. The thing I loved about Stewart and Colbert was how you never knew when you were about to see a great show, every night had a chance to be a Glen Beck parody or a poor people have fridges classic.

What a downer period for talk shows. I guess it can only go up from here right?!

-MB-

True, but Colbert was a "Character" more than Jon ever was. This was exactly what I expected the last Daily Show to be, while Colbert's ending was similarly what I expected.

You forgot Craig Ferguson as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom