• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The FINAL Daily Show with Jon Stewart - a thread had to be made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loakum

Banned
There goes our last bastion of media sanity. Jon will be deeply, deeply missed........hopefully we will get a Jon Stewart occasional appearance on HBO
s John Oliver show.

Losing Stewart and Colbert sucks. I'm glad they're moving on, but from a selfish perspective, I don't want them to. Both highlights of TV for me for so long.

Trevor has some damn big shoes to fill. Not sure if Stewart had any say in who took over, but if he did and backed Trevor, I'll be optimistic.

Someone needs to keep the other news programs on their toes. O'Reilly too.

I hadn't seen Olivia Munn in years. What happened to her face?

She's movie famous now!

Funny, my GF said the same thing about Ed Helms. "He looks weird!"

I have to admit I'm curious about how the new show will go, curious but don't have very high expectations. Jon just seems impossible to follow up, at least if we're all expecting not much then it could make things easier.

Dimefan3

I rarely got the chance to watch it nowadays, but I will miss Jon's epic takedowns.

The 'App-holes' one would have to be my favorite....

Africanus

I've watched this show since I was in 4th grade (2007) and now I am a senior in high school...

Ahh Jon! Ahh Humanity! How wonderful a show it was! This has to be the first comedy show I followed, and indeed the first news channel I followed as well. Colbert hurt, but John hurts more.

An interesting thing I've noticed is that Jon Stewart taught me how to be more expressive when speaking in public.

Fugu

I've been reflecting on the show a lot today and one thing that I'm really glad that I did (obviously at the time without the knowledge that the show wasn't going to be on for too much longer) was attend the rally despite being a pretty broke university student in Canada. I identified quite a bit with the notion that ideological differences need not define the parameters of progress at the time and it was a big moment of clarity for me.

That was such a great finale. I can't really think of more to say, just a fantastic last episode. Daily Show is definitely the longest show I've been watching and I'm going to miss Jon a lot. Such a great finale though. Man.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's so weird watching this end. I was there for the beginning and now I've seen the end. It really is the end of an era. I dunno. I sort of felt like this show was going to always be there for to get a laugh out of the political theater that makes such a mess out of normal people's lives. It's really sad to see it go.

cj_iwakura

I don't suppose Kilborn showed up, did he? Was funny seeing the old episodes with the Five Questions and moment of zen during the marathon.

Socreges

Banned
Kilborn showed up on a live feed. Made a joke, IIRC, about Jon driving the show into the ground. Unfortunately it was quick and the crowd barely responded. Nice touch, though.

I hadn't seen Olivia Munn in years. What happened to her face?
Seriously. Plastic surgery but I can't place what she ruined exactly. Looks like a different person.

linsivvi

It's so weird watching this end. I was there for the beginning and now I've seen the end. It really is the end of an era. I dunno. I sort of felt like this show was going to always be there for to get a laugh out of the political theater that makes such a mess out of normal people's lives. It's really sad to see it go.

But the format is now well-established. We will still have Oliver and even if Trevor doesn't work out, I'm sure there will be others who can pick up the slack eventually.

gabbo

What was the Wynatt Cenac thing about? He didn't seem into it...or is it some kind of in-joke?

He and Jon had a falling out back before Wyatt left the show, and this poked fun, timidly, at that.

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I found it interesting: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-trevor-noahs-daily-show-plans-to-go-after-millennial-viewers-2015-8

Basically, it suggests that the Daily Show may refocus its satirical lenses away from cable news channels like CNN and Fox towards online news sites like Buzzfeed and Gawker.

I had heard it was going to get more of a world news focus, or at least focus less on US news of the day.

Abounder

Banned
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Great finale. Even had a mini-movie (the first person segment)

I had heard it was going to get more of a world news focus, or at least focus less on US news of the day.

Nice, makes sense since Trevor Noah is more worldly. Plus HBO has US politics on lockdown

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I found it interesting: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-trevor-noahs-daily-show-plans-to-go-after-millennial-viewers-2015-8

Basically, it suggests that the Daily Show may refocus its satirical lenses away from cable news channels like CNN and Fox towards online news sites like Buzzfeed and Gawker.

Don't know if going after online sites is the right move, but I'm all for them not just showing fox clips most night. They suck, we know, you are not changing anyone's optinion of them.

kingocfs

Don't know if going after online sites is the right move, but I'm all for them not just showing fox clips most night. They suck, we know, you are not changing anyone's optinion of them.

Yeah, the incessant Fox News coverage was my least favorite thing about the show. Fish in a barrel, etc etc. I'm all for a change in focus.

I felt it became something of an easy trap for the show to fall into. The Daily Show wasn't always best served being the Fox News Response Show.

I remember back in the mid-00s watching Keith Olbermann's MSNBC show. After a while i just tuned out because every single day he spent 30 minutes of his hour-long program going after Bill O'Reilly in particular. Every day he would just go over what Bill O'Reilly had said on The O'Reilly Factor the previous day. It made Olbermann's show seem narrow, small, and petty. I always grew a bit concerned when the Daily Show started leaning too much on Fox News in particular.

danielcw

Yeah, the incessant Fox News coverage was my least favorite thing about the show. Fish in a barrel, etc etc. I'm all for a change in focus.

Well The Daily Show is also a comedy show, they have to fill an hour each week which stuff that is timely contemporary and funny.
And I guess they also want to avoid overlap with Colbert/Nightly if possible

danielcw

I just realized that Bill Maher's Real Time is back tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see if he'll have a send-off for Jon. I always suspected that he resented Jon's success on the Daily Show.

I guess he will probably only mention it in the stand up portion after some material on the GOP debate.

For reference: It wasn't mentioned at all in the show nor Overtime

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I had avoided watching because I kinda didn't want it to be over but it was a great finale.

Got misty eyes during Colbert's speech. Not gonna be the same without Jon :(

spinz

super random semi-related thought: the person they shouldv found a way to replace colbert or stewart: aziz ansari.
Im sure theres a million reasons why it cant happen... but i think that wouldv been great.

super random semi-related thought: the person they shouldv found a way to replace colbert or stewart: aziz ansari.
Im sure theres a million reasons why it cant happen... but i think that wouldv been great.

Probably also too expensive. He's a big name, just came off a hit TV show, probably has plenty of other projects in the works.

Besides, Aziz seems like he'd be more comfortable hosting a traditional network late night show than a Daily Show / Colbert Report type of show.

spinz

Probably also too expensive. He's a big name, just came off a hit TV show, probably has plenty of other projects in the works.

Besides, Aziz seems like he'd be more comfortable hosting a traditional network late night show than a Daily Show / Colbert Report type of show.

maybe, at least semi-traditional. I dont think he'd be super-super expensive, hes been in good stuff but i dont think he's that well known. And last i knew the ratings for those two shows were worth spending some money on. But alas, it isnt realistic. I really have no idea what to expect from this trevor guy. But if both him and larry pull 1/3rd the ratings of the old shows.. comedy central is probably going to be thinking about what else they couldv done...

Kibbles

Damn now I want to see an Aziz talk show.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I don't suppose Kilborn showed up, did he? Was funny seeing the old episodes with the Five Questions and moment of zen during the marathon.

He had a videotaped short message.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

I won't try to judge his show before it even starts, but if Trevor's show focuses on stuff like Buzzfeed and Gawker, I suspect it can be funny and even necessary viewing but I find it hard to believe he'll be "culturally important" like Stewart was. It's impossible to discount him off the bat but it just doesn't feel right. Who looks at Buzzfeed as some serious cultural institution?

I guess I'm just outside of what one would consider a millennial but I go to buzzfeed for cat pics.

Tansut

I think it's important to remember that The Daily Show as we know it is pretty massively different from what it was when Jon Stewart started. I'm not saying with a new host it'll follow the same trajectory, but I also doubt wherever Noah starts his take on the show will be where he ultimately takes it then subsequently ends it. Presuming he doesn't get the axe after like a month or something.

spinz

I think it's important to remember that The Daily Show as we know it is pretty massively different from what it was when Jon Stewart started. I'm not saying with a new host it'll follow the same trajectory, but I also doubt wherever Noah starts his take on the show will be where he ultimately takes it then subsequently ends it. Presuming he doesn't get the axe after like a month or something.

true, but in 1998 i think the 2 year old show was still searching for an identity. Now its very much entrenched, and i dont think they can go back to reducing the news-focus. Its also going to be the same writing crew, so id expect the show to be very similar still. The question for me is on trevor's delivery and vibe. Because you know that the same joke writing will still be there.

Abounder

Banned

Yup focusing so much on Fox News was lazy writing. Felt like they were just using eachother for ratings after a while.

gabbo

true, but in 1998 i think the 2 year old show was still searching for an identity. Now its very much entrenched, and i dont think they can go back to reducing the news-focus. Its also going to be the same writing crew, so id expect the show to be very similar still. The question for me is on trevor's delivery and vibe. Because you know that the same joke writing will still be there.
It had an identity, as Kilborn's Late Late Show was the exact same format but on CBS proper. The thing Jon had going for him when he took over is that the show had no clout or recognition. Comedy Central basically blew up around his Daily Show and South Park. Noah's coming in during a lower point in terms of ratings than Jon's high point, but not neatly the same tv landscape.

Kal_El

I had a hard time deleting it off my DVR....I kept Colbert's for at least 2 weeks before I decided to let go

All this material around from Trump and neither Jon nor Colbert are around anymore to clown on it.....
mjcry1.png

These are some dark times we live in now.....

I would watch Larry Wilmore but his half assed hybrid of a format of Maher/Chelsea Handler sucks.

Ultima_5

I just read an interview with Jon Stewart with Judd apatow in his new book and it really seems Jon is going to be going back to stand up in some capacity. Stoked to see what he ends up doing

All this material around from Trump and neither Jon nor Colbert are around anymore to clown on it.....
mjcry1.png

These are some dark times we live in now.....

I would watch Larry Wilmore but his half assed hybrid of a format of Maher/Chelsea Handler sucks.

Larrys show fucking sucks and they should be embarrassed by it. It's such a let down considering how much I liked him as a correspondent. Such a lazy show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom