• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Force Awakens Box Office Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
My heart says it's going for the record and then some. My brain says the endless media on ticket sales and sell outs (despite every theater showing it round the block meaning no time is anywhere close to being sold out) will scare away the walk up business.

I go with 190 mil domestic opening.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
My heart says it's going for the record and then some. My brain says the endless media on ticket sales and sell outs (despite every theater showing it round the block meaning no time is anywhere close to being sold out) will scare away the walk up business.

Smart take, IMO.

Everyone I know who isn't with me for premiere night is on endlessly about how there's no way they'll find seats opening weekend. This (and December, obviously) is the one big, huge hurdle Disney has not really been able to counter: the perception of magnitude working against it.

That's a tricky one.

kswiston

It will all depend on Thursday business I think. I don't see Friday proper through Sunday outgrossing what Avengers or Jurassic World pulled, but the Thursday previews could potentially be $50M on their own. Avengers and JW had around $19M in previews.

Could this be the first movie to make over $100 mil a weekend for three consecutive weekends?

Is such a thing even possible?

edit: I gotta imagine a large majority of the pre-sales are for Thursday night screenings.

Forbes initially reported it'd be less than 3900 theaters, but then had to retract and say it'd be closer to 4200

Lord knows how many screens that'll actually translate to, though. K-Swiss?

kswiston

Forbes initially reported it'd be less than 3900 theaters, but then had to retract and say it'd be closer to 4200

Lord knows how many screens that'll actually translate to, though. K-Swiss?

If it's 4200 Theatres, probably 13-15k screens. Some of it will depend on their contracts with other film, but I would imagine most 10+ screen multiplexes will at least be running Star Wars on 3 screens. More for the 15-20 screen venues.

As for three $100M weekends, I don't think it will. Partially because I don't see how that happens without the film clearing $1B+ domestic (which I don't think is very likely obviously)

guek

Banned
I'm curious what'll be the flick to knock Star Wars out of the number 1 spot. There's nothing for really for quite some time. Will it stay strong at number 1 for 6 weeks until Kung Fu Panda 3?

kswiston

I'm curious what'll be the flick to knock Star Wars out of the number 1 spot. There's nothing for really for quite some time. Will it stay strong at number 1 for 6 weeks until Kung Fu Panda 3?

Nah. It will get 3-4 weeks as #1. Probably 4.

Weekend 5 has Ride Along 2 and that Michael Bay Benghazi movie. One of those will be big enough. I'd be impressed if Star Wars was over $25M in its 5th weekend. Jurassic World was just over $18M by then.

Could this be the first movie to make over $100 mil a weekend for three consecutive weekends?

Is such a thing even possible?

edit: I gotta imagine a large majority of the pre-sales are for Thursday night screenings.

I can only imagine how some insanely high Thursday number will prompt Deadline to imply inflated weekend totals that are impossible to hit.

I like where your head's at.
Is this film opening in every bathroom in the world?
vodkacupcakes1.gif

kswiston

What'll bump it? The Revenant?

See my edit, but week 5 is Michael Bay Benghazi film and Ride Along 2. Ride Along 2 is the better bet, but we've had several military films do much better than expected in the past few January periods. Ride Along 2 is the sequel to a $41M opener. If either film opens in the high 20s that should be enough.

guek

Banned
See my edit, but week 5 is Michael Bay Benghazi film and Ride Along 2. Ride Along 2 is the better bet, but we've had several military films do much better than expected in the past few January periods. Ride Along 2 is the sequel to a $41M opener. If either film opens in the high 20s that should be enough.

Oh yeah, that benghazi movie is from Michael Bay. I forgot about that.

I had no idea Ride Along did so well. The first made $135M domestic...not bad

Regardless of the box office take, Creed is a far superior movie to Star Wars: The Force Awakens

A bulletproof quote, no sane man can refute it

I have said it before, SW will be a good movie perceived as great because of the stench of the prequels.

It will also be incredibly safe, ticking all the nostalgia boxes for fans of the OT, all while throwing a wrinkle or two.

But it will not be CREED.

You can book that ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom