• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamm

at least this season they aren't giving them a pass if they don't meet the 107% rule, couple of races last year and the year before they got included and were under the 107% so I don't see much of an outcry
They will probably give them a pass this season also.
They didnt qualify for the first race last season either, but once they qualified for the next 6 or 7 they were allowed to race after that even if they qualified outside the 107% because they showed in the previous races they were capable of doing so.

Unless they start consistently qualifying outside the 107% rule, then you can pretty much guarentee they will be racing in every race this season

Skybaby said:

Sweeeet! Definatly him too, Rubens, Senna & Jake Humphreys all tweeted about it

EDIT: F1 fans are very civilized arent they? Everyone is wishing him luck & tell him to ignore the critics. Other sportsmen get nothing but abuse :p

Hammer24

Banned
Fact:
- Sutil stops his appeal process, accepts criminal record
- Sutil manager remarks, he´s in talks to get Sutil in a F1 car asap
Rumor:
- Ferrari asking for legal counsel regarding Sutil legal status, concerning the possibility of him getting all necessary visas to travel to all GP
- Ferrari weighing if to either a) take Sutil now and Perez at the end of the season, or b) take Perez at once and pay for Sutil driving the Sauber

Fact:
- Sutil stops his appeal process, accepts criminal record
- Sutil manager remarks, he´s in talks to get Sutil in a F1 car asap
Rumor:
- Ferrari asking for legal counsel regarding Sutil legal status, concerning the possibility of him getting all necessary visas to travel to all GP
- Ferrari weighing if to either a) take Sutil now and Maldonado at the end of the season, or b) take Maldonado at once and pay for Sutil driving the Sauber

Why Sutil? and why Maldonado? Perez is the obvious option.

Maldonado has PDVSA paying for his Williams drive, its more complicated to extract him from Williams than extracting Perez from Sauber

Hammer24

Banned
Why Sutil? and why Maldonado? Perez is the obvious option.

Maldonado has PDVSA paying for his Williams drive, its more complicated to extract him from Williams than extracting Perez from Sauber

Freudian slip... of course its Perez. Sorry! :/

And as to Sutil: best and most experienced available right now.

Adamm

Freudian slip... of course its Perez. Sorry! :/

And as to Sutil: best and most experienced available right now.

I cant see Ferrari replacing Massa with Sutil just for the rest of the season, whats the point? Anyone coming into Ferrari now would take months to setting into the team & probably have similar results (or worse) than Massa is getting at the moment.

They will either replaced massa with some one long term now (ie Perez) & spend this season settling them into the 'Ferrari way' or else stick with Massa until the end of the season.

Hammer24

Banned
I cant see Ferrari replacing Massa with Sutil just for the rest of the season, whats the point? Anyone coming into Ferrari now would take months to setting into the team & probably have similar results (or worse) than Massa is getting at the moment.

They will either replaced massa with some one long term now (ie Perez) & spend this season settling them into the 'Ferrari way' or else stick with Massa until the end of the season.

I think it has more to do with Perez´ contract situation. I´m not sure how costly it could become to pry him loose from Sauber. No doubt he´s the long term solution, but Sutil and his experience to help develop the car might be the next best thing, but as a stop gap, for sure.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I think it has more to do with Perez´ contract situation. I´m not sure how costly it could become to pry him loose from Sauber. No doubt he´s the long term solution, but Sutil and his experience to help develop the car might be the next best thing, but as a stop gap, for sure.
Sutil being hired is a mute point. He has a criminal conviction now, he wouldn't be granted entry into many countries on the calendar. No team is going risk that, certainly not Ferrari.

His F1 career is finished.

Adamm

Even without his Criminal Record (thanks Edmond Dantès!) It would still not make sense, why would Sutil be an improvement over Massa? We have seen other drivers changes teams half way through the season & drive very poorly as they are not used to the car.

Hammer24

Banned
Edmond Dantès;36491453 said:
Sutil being hired is a mute point. He has a criminal conviction now, he wouldn't be granted entry into many countries on the calendar. No team is going risk that, certainly not Ferrari.

Thats why Ferrari is seeking clarification, if this really holds true.
FIA at least has pointed to a solution, that they are not going to ban him, but see it as finished.

Even without his Criminal Record (thanks Edmond Dantès!) It would still not make sense, why would Sutil be an improvement over Massa?

It is said that Sutil is very analytical and able to help the engineers develop a car. Massa is seen more as "just a driver".

Salacious Crumb

i agree, i dont want to search for this thread on the 3rd or 4th page.

it would be more convenient if it were in the community sub forum

go to edit options in your user cp and change the default thread subscription mode to "no email notification"

t7FuD.png

And never worry about finding threads you've posted in again, just click on subscriptions and they're all there.

Shaneus

Don't know how relevant or up-to-date it is, but just got an alert via the official F1 iOS app that Alguerspaghetti is the new official tester for Pirelli.

The F1 2011 thread definitely slowed down when it moved to community, but I'm not sure if that's because of the move or if people just stopped playing, haha.

Generally I don't care where the thread is because I always go here via my subscriptions. I do think less people browse community than OT/Gaming though which means we might get less new people.

Lucius86

Banned
I'm not sure if sports threads should be in community for the Off-Topic discussions, but hey ho - it's not my Gaf.

F1 2011 has slowed up because, well, the game has been out for a while, and there is already a new logo for F1 2012....

560427_10150636668457060_74881132059_9404185_1873278311_n.jpg

555489_10150636668727060_74881132059_9404187_389889857_n.jpg

ANDY_098

Some more F1 movies on the way.
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/98474

Jackie Stewart has revealed he is involved in two motor racing movies - helping out on a feature film based on his relationship with Francois Cevert, plus working on a remastered version of his famous 'Weekend of a Champion'.

The three-time champion has thrown his support behind plans for a film about his time with former Tyrrell team-mate Cevert, who was killed at Watkins Glen in 1973.

The Cevert film is being put together by Brokeback Mountain producer Bill Pohlad, and casting is currently underway - with Ewan McGregor being considered for the role of Stewart.

As well as the Cevert movie, Stewart is also working with Roman Polanski on a 40th anniversary remastered version of their 'Weekend of a Champion' film that charted his success at the 1971 Monaco Grand Prix.

"Polanski is redoing it, in High Definition," said Stewart. "We will be doing the same things we did in the original film, but revisiting them 40 years later. So we've driven around the track together again, and we will be talking in the same suite at the Hotel de Paris. It is going to be interesting."

Leunam

This is a pretty good article. Shows what the cars could look like without the stepped nose and some livery updates too.

F1 Fanatic
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/4-Ferrari-F2012-Livery-886x590.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Every single one of those liveries is better than the existing liveries. Dat Sauber.

That retro Ferrari looks absolutely amazing. As does the Williams (even if the front half looks like Damon's old Arrows). I really wish Williams had more of a livery identity these days. They do I guess, but it's rather boring.

nny

I'm not sure if sports threads should be in community for the Off-Topic discussions, but hey ho - it's not my Gaf.

F1 2011 has slowed up because, well, the game has been out for a while, and there is already a new logo for F1 2012....

Well, I just got the game this week; but I haven't played an F1 game since...F1 97 or something like that, so I have some practicing to do before online racing ;P

ANDY_098

French GP negotiations ongoing
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98483

During a visit to the Paul Ricard circuit, Francois Fillon (French PM) said attempts to resurrect the race, which was last held at Magny-Cours in 2008, were progressing but there was still further negotiations needed in terms of finalising financial terms as well as a venue to share the event with.

Fillon said that a provisional deal had been agreed with Bernie Ecclestone, but there was still a gap in the finances of approximately two million Euros between what F1's commercial boss wanted and what race organisers were willing to pay.

Seems odd that the PM would visit Paul Ricard just to announce that they were still in negotiations, I guess he'd hoped to announce the GP deal by now.

Yoritomo

Button - "Fernando is extremely talented, he is a double world champion, he is fast. Is he the fastest in the sport? Probably not, and he would probably say the same, but he is very intelligent."

I'm guessing he rates Lewis higher. I wonder if that's the consensus amongst drivers.

I think even Alonso has mentioned that Lewis is the fastest driver in Formula 1 at the moment.

Chris R

That's because it's still just dirt. Paving won't commence for a couple more months.

Exactly, no point in having the track surface there with all the heavy construction still going on for the paddock and main grandstand.

Just make sure they get the track done a little bit sooner than India and that it cures in time and everything should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom