• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoritomo

I remember him saying that, not sure where though. Too bad Lewis doesn't have the mental fortitude of Button though.

I'm sure he'll get there. Button wasn't always in a fast car. He doesn't have the expectation that he "should" win. Hamilton and it seems Vettel suffer from that expectation. Hell, Senna was like that. Age never dulled his rabid tenacity to constantly win. It was be far less interesting if they mellowed with age, but it would probably make them more likeable.

Omiee

Edmond Dantès;36491327 said:
Why aren't you subscribed to the thread?

It's far more convenient than relying on people bumping the thread.

i am subscribed, i think putting it in the community forum is much easier though

cant wait for monaco this year. that weekend will be awesome. got myself pit passes.

but i get the point of attracting more new fans, i think we should stay in the off topic discussion. People tend to enter the thread because its on the first page. Moving it to community would only get the regular folk there.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
i am subscribed, i think putting it in the community forum is much easier though

cant wait for monaco this year. that weekend will be awesome. got myself pit passes.
Attracting new members will be difficult in community. Unlike the other threads moved we're following a pretty niche thing.

mblitek

Hilarious

Hamilton had a terrible 2011. Omg his girlfriend broke up with him WHAAAAAAA.

Hell Alonso just went through a divorce and he's kicking ass in a slow car.

Editted for meanness.

I wasn't being negative in my comment. I'm just stating the facts that emotionally Lewis had a crap 2011 season and let a lot of things get to him. Even he said that he would like some sort of supportive circle like Jenson had a.k.a. "Team Button." If anything I have been a Hamilton supporter when I saw him start in GP2.

Anyways, carrying on…I think the next big news item in Formula One will be Vijay Mallyya's financial situation and whether or not he can continue funding the team under the Kingfisher brand.

DD

Oh my God, Massa spat in Hamilton's face! Everything makes sense now!

bYjqt.gif

I'm not sure if sports threads should be in community for the Off-Topic discussions, but hey ho - it's not my Gaf.

F1 2011 has slowed up because, well, the game has been out for a while, and there is already a new logo for F1 2012....

560427_10150636668457060_74881132059_9404185_1873278311_n.jpg

555489_10150636668727060_74881132059_9404187_389889857_n.jpg

light blue is better then night time reds so I like it already.

olore

Remind me why Webber was so angry in that press conference where he slammed his glass down. Vettel and him colliding in the race? I think it was a different GP.

And Massa at the end, wow, sore loser

ANDY_098

Remind me why Webber was so angry in that press conference where he slammed his glass down. Vettel and him colliding in the race? I think it was a different GP.

And Massa at the end, wow, sore loser

There were two new spec front wings, Vettel's broke during practice and RB took the other wing off Webber's car to give to Vettel.

mblitek

There were two new spec front wings, Vettel's broke during practice and RB took the other wing off Webber's car to give to Vettel.

IThat must have been the Qualifying Press Conference as I'm pretty sure Webber won that race. Remember "Not bad for a number two driver!" over the team radio?

A detailed breakdown of Sky Sports F1 viewing figures - The Australian Grand Prix:

Totals:

- Practice 1 watched by 195k over 4 showings
- Practice 2 watched by 234k over 5 showings
- The F1 Show watched by 163k over 3 showings
- Qualifying watched by 679k over 4 showings
- Race watched by 898k over 3 showings
- Legends watched by 101k over 3 showings

Practice 1:

- watched live from 01:00 to 02:00 by 36k (1.61%)
- peak: 48k (2.33%) at 01:30
- highest replay figure was 64k (0.38%) at 21:30 on Friday

Practice 2:

- watched live from 06:00 to 07:20 by 61k (2.21%)
- peak: 81k (2.41%) at 06:45
- highest replay figure was 52k (0.70%) at 12:50 on Friday

The F1 Show:

- watched live from 09:30 to 10:30 by 39k (0.76%)
- peak: 46k (0.88%) at 09:30
- highest replay figure was 74k (0.32%) at 20:30 on Friday

Qualifying:

- watched live from 06:00 to 07:45 by 336k (12.65%)
- peak: 393k (12.23%) at 07:00
- highest replay figure was 184k (2.60%) at 08:30 on Saturday
- replay peak: 261k (3.53%) at 10:30
- combined peak over 4 showings: 870k

Race

- watched live from 06:00 to 09:00 by 671k (16.28%)
- peak: 967k (21.2%) at 07:30
- audience rapidly declined to 442k (8.0%) at 08:00, 226k (3.4%) at 08:30 and 167k (2.4%) at 08:45
- highest replay figure was 198k (2.37%) at 09:30
- replay peak: 303k (3.69%) at 12:30
- combined peak over 3 showings: 1.33 million

Legends:
- watched from 09:00 to 09:30 by 76k (1.03%)
- highest replay figure was 14k (0.13%) at 14:00

The top 10 for Sky Sports F1:

1 - 671k - AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX LIVE (SUN 0600)
2 - 336k - AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX QUALIFYING LIVE (SAT 0600)
3 - 267k - AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX BUILD-UP (SAT 2830)*
4 - 198k - AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX REPLAY (SUN 0930)
5 - 184k - AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX QUALIFYING REPLAY (SAT 0830)
6 - 134k - AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX QUALIFYING BUILD-UP (FRI 2900)*
7 - 92k - AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX QUALIFYING REPLAY (SAT 1230)
8 - 76k - LEGENDS: NIGEL MANSELL (SUN 0900)
9 - 74k - THE F1 SHOW (FRI 2030)
10 - 64k - AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX PRACTICE 1 REPLAY (FRI 2130)

Might as well post this in here seeing as it's from the makers of Grand Prix: The Killer Years :p

Madness on Wheels: Rallying's Craziest Years

From the producer of Grand Prix: The Killer Years and the Grierson-nominated Deadliest Crash: The 1955 Le Mans Disaster.

In the 1980s rallying was more popular than Formula 1. 'Group B' machines had taken the world by storm. De-regulation opened the way for the most exciting cars ever to hit the motorsport scene. Nothing like it has ever happened since.

'This is the fastest rallying there has ever been' - Peter Foubister.

For four wild and crazy years manufacturers scrambled to build ever more powerful cars to be driven by fearless mavericks who could handle the extreme power. The sport was heading out of control and the unregulated mayhem ended abruptly in 1986 after a series of horrific tragedies. This is the story of when fans, ambition, politics and cars collided.

'The fans were crazy. As the cars sped by the spectators ran into the road!' - Ari Vatanen

'They were playing with their lives'.

'To go rallying is madness. This was refined madness' - John Davenport

Featuring world champions Ari Vatanen, Walter Rohrl, Stig Blomqvist, plus Michel Mouton, Cesar Fiorio, Jean Todt and many many more.

Sun 1 Apr 2012 21:00 BBC Four - preview: http://vimeo.com/39190645

I miss F1 :(

I don't follow this thread much during the week I just usually come in on quali and race day but this is going to be an agonizing 2 more weeks to China.

Any news on Massa? Will I still see him in a Ferrari by mid-season? Read an article about him getting a vote of confidence from Ferrari and how he's been through slumps like this before and come back but how long can we realistically expect him to stick around if performance (lack of) continues like it has been?

I miss F1 :(

I don't follow this thread much during the week I just usually come in on quali and race day but this is going to be an agonizing 2 more weeks to China.

Any news on Massa? Will I still see him in a Ferrari by mid-season? Read an article about him getting a vote of confidence from Ferrari and how he's been through slumps like this before and come back but how long can we realistically expect him to stick around if performance (lack of) continues like it has been?

well, the guy's been sticking around since 2008. So it seems he's good at what he does.

Adamm

A detailed breakdown of Sky Sports F1 viewing figures - The Australian Grand Prix:

Race & Qualfying figures aren't too bad themselves (although a lot lower than BBC had)
But the legends & F1 show have really poor viewing figures - its makes their decision to create a whole channel for F1 look stupid.

KEEP LEFT! – KIMI’S STEERING ISSUES FINALLY RESOLVED

After weeks of changing steering racks, power steering systems, steering wheel heights and a host of other settings, the Lotus F1 Team design office engineers have found the solution to Kimi’s steering issue

508daa9d2c8df24b974721cc24f9a2c9.jpg

From the very first test at Jerez, Kimi and his engineers have been working on improving the Finnish driver’s feeling with the E20 steering system. After hours of hard work in the garage and hundreds of kilometres on the track, the solution it seems was staring the team in the face all along.

While it may come as a surprise, the 2007 World Champion is in fact the first left handed driver to pilot an Enstone car. This has subsequently had a profound effect not only on Kimi’s use of the steering wheel, but also on his perception of grip levels through the corners, as Technical Director James Allison explains:

“This is something we should have picked up on at an earlier stage, but having never dealt with a left-hander before it didn’t cross our minds. Drivers naturally have a tendency to ‘feel’ grip levels of a car predominantly with their stronger hand, as this is the side which will do the majority of work in guiding the car through the corners. Not only does this explain Kimi’s concerns with the E20’s steering, but it also makes it all the more impressive that he has managed to get the hang of the controls using what is, in theory, the wrong hand.”

As a result, from China onwards Kimi will benefit from a brand new steering wheel on which every single button has been reversed, as James confirms:

“We naturally tend to put the more important switches on the right. They have now been moved to the left and we’re confident that this will solve Kimi’s issues.”

Kimi, meanwhile, is pleased to have the issue resolved, and is already feeling confident for the next race in China having tested his new steering wheel layout back at Enstone:

“It may seem like an obvious thing to miss, but with all the time spent focusing on setup I just forgot to mention it to the engineers. It makes a big difference to the way the car feels and also how I use all the dials and buttons. I think with the new wheel we can push even harder in China; I’m confident we’ll get a strong result”

As can be seen from the pictures below, Romain and Kimi will use very different steering wheels from this point onwards. The Finnish driver will test his new device for the first time in Free Practice 1 during the Chinese Grand Prix weekend.

As Round 3 of the World Championship in China rapidly approaches, stay tuned to our website, Twitter feed, and Facebook page for all the latest news from Enstone.

6c60d29f48c14df64d1a4638a8cc0780.jpg
ebf62f7c2a4cfe27177e47409445fdfd.jpg

;)

Septimius

What. That makes no sense at all. How the hell does switching all the buttons around mean he can feel better? As for button layout - it's pretty much the exact same as inverted vs not inverted. It's just getting used to something. But, I mean, if he didn't get used to it, then it's great if he can get a layout that better suits him, but I still have no idea how button layout means he can feel the track differently through his left hand.

EDIT: Derpidurr.

Dilly

Banned
What. That makes no sense at all. How the hell does switching all the buttons around mean he can feel better? As for button layout - it's pretty much the exact same as inverted vs not inverted. It's just getting used to something. But, I mean, if he didn't get used to it, then it's great if he can get a layout that better suits him, but I still have no idea how button layout means he can feel the track differently through his left hand.

April fools.

mblitek

I just came across this and found it pretty funny:

http://www.lotusf1team.com/With-a-Little-Help-from-Our.html

Sort of on topic, Lotus GP has one of the best blogs and twitter feeds of any of the Formula One teams I find. Whoever is behind the writing is not afraid to shy away from some humor which is always nice to see.

I'm somewhat gutted, I thought the Chinese Grand Prix was this upcoming weekend, then when I was watching the SkyF1 Friday show they just said "… We will be back on April 13 for the Chinese Grand Prix…" I felt that pang in my stomach!

In the meantime, the Portuguese WRC is shaping up to be quite the result after some "unexpectedness." Too bad WRC cannot get better TV coverage as it would love glorious in high-definition and surround sound!

Sort of on topic, Lotus GP has one of the best blogs and twitter feeds of any of the Formula One teams I find. Whoever is behind the writing is not afraid to shy away from some humor which is always nice to see.

I'm somewhat gutted, I thought the Chinese Grand Prix was this upcoming weekend, then when I was watching the SkyF1 Friday show they just said "… We will be back on April 13 for the Chinese Grand Prix…" I felt that pang in my stomach!

In the meantime, the Portuguese WRC is shaping up to be quite the result after some "unexpectedness." Too bad WRC cannot get better TV coverage as it would love glorious in high-definition and surround sound!

The Lotus twitter feed was really great during the last race. Had a good laugh.

Yen

Sort of on topic, Lotus GP has one of the best blogs and twitter feeds of any of the Formula One teams I find. Whoever is behind the writing is not afraid to shy away from some humor which is always nice to see!

The best F1 post I ever saw was from either USF1 or Stefan GP, I can't remember which. They made a press release that said, "The team has acquired a BMW chassis for use in the season ahead. P.S Mike you forgot your jacket in the office"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom