• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclaren777

What is the ugliest car on the grid?

Definitely the Mercedes. I think its nose looks terrible from every angle. And I actually like the Ferrari quite a bit, which is weird for me to admit.

Perez has just proven himself too good for Alonso to accept him as his teammate.

That's my concern. Sergio would be a fool to sign with Ferrari because he would then be the victim of team orders for his entire contract.

untitled-200yjry.gif

That was incredibly awkward to watch and it felt to me like time moved in slow motion.

Karthikeyan sucks, but he wasn't at fault today.

I agree 100%. Jenson and Vettel both ruined their own races, not Narain.

Easily the best use of that cardboard cutout picture.

HRt has been in this sports for a few years now, and there is no notable step up like lotus or others have managed.

HRT and Marussia don't get very much championship money compared to Caterham ($10 million vs. $35 million). If the payout was split more evenly at the bottom, I don't think HRT and Marussia would be struggling as much as they currently are.

Proof that Merc are blowing the front wing (the two ducts):
5AoWv.jpg

KSB5F.jpg

Thanks for posting these!

And the winner:

tANjE.jpg

He looks like a pedophile. That is truly creepy!

French Grand Prix set to return in 2013

I was excited at first, but then I realized that this race would be held at Paul Ricard instead of Magny-Cours. :(

the article said:
"but Belgium’s popular Spa-Francorchamps will be off the calendar sporadically as the race continues to make losses."

I feel like these two things shouldn't go together.

Spa is easily the best track on the calendar. It'd be a shame for it to become an every-other-year event.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That was incredibly awkward to watch and it felt to me like time moved in slow motion.

What's even worse is that while the guy on the left is struggling and misses over and over, the guy on the right forgot entirely and only then comes in and takes it off in one move. So dad the guy in the left done it right in 1 move, the guy on the right would have forgotten all about it.

The other thing that bothered me is that as soon as he gets released, he almost smashes into Massa who was stacking with Alonso. From the in camera view you can tell it was so close. Had there been a crash the team would have been penalized for unsafe release no question.

Just watched the BBC Forum and DC has really stepped it up this year. Grabbing drivers, asking more questions, etc etc. Really impressive and really highlights how lackluster Sky is.

Wish EJ was there, though :(

I'm going to watch the GP2 from the weekend now! Hopefully the race will be more exciting than the qualifying.

olore

(

Same here. Also his pitstop before that one also went un-smooth, the mechanic who where charged with lifting the rear of the car was slower than a tortoise with the jack.

AndyD: The other/right hand side mechanic also manages to tear the plastic/what it is apart, look at the video

woohooo

Edmond Dantès;36462547 said:
article-1347932-0CC87755000005DC-149_468x597.jpg

Yes, that is Tamara Ecclestone

LOL, you answered my Q in the spoiler tag..

Thank you, seriously! thank you

Happy Birthday Jerk!

faaanx

Congrats!

NnXVH.jpg

*baaarrrrfffffff*

Wait, Alonso isn't his favorite driver?

not.enough.vodka.in.universe

Omiee

Just watched the BBC Forum and DC has really stepped it up this year. Grabbing drivers, asking more questions, etc etc. Really impressive and really highlights how lackluster Sky is.

I'm going to watch the GP2 from the weekend now! Hopefully the race will be more exciting than the qualifying.

been watching the guy since the 2009 season and he def is a different person right now.

seems like he just gits in that role.

cant wait their full race coverage of china gp

Zeppu

It's not on the iPlayer, is it? Dammit I didn't watch it :(

Adamm

Sky missed a trick not stealing him from the BBC (Not that I want him to go)

The BBC presenting team is so good compared to the Sky one, it makes me wonder why sky put so much effort into getting all the right commentators, but just seem to settle with crappy presenters they had worked with before

mblitek

Now the top 10 and who they're obsessed with...

Myoclonic Jerk: Raikkonen
ANDY_098: Racing / Technical
brotkasten: Ferrari?
Edmond Dantès: F1!
Shaneus: Webber
Omiee: Vettel
Psychotext: Red Bull / Button / Vettel
Adamm: Kobayashi / Alonso
SunhiLegend: gifs!
Dilly: Himself!

Fill in the blanks. :)

I feel left out! I've been busy trying to put together a website and hired a graphic designer etc etc *sniff*

By the way, I love this photo of Perez. It's so honest in emotion:

6872559104_d93660f708_b.jpg

Deadman

Has it been detailed anywhere exactly what ferrari have changed with their pitstops to go from lackluster last year to the fastest team this year?

Ark

Has it been detailed anywhere exactly what ferrari have changed with their pitstops to go from lackluster last year to the fastest team this year?

Just pure practise, nothing much you can do in the way of mechanics for a pit stop. Remember how Red Bull kept boasting for the last two years that they were doing endless amounts of pit stop practise over the season? Yup.

I'm pretty sure LdM had some things to say to the Ferrari pit crew after last years shenanigans.

D_prOdigy

I feel left out! I've been busy trying to put together a website and hired a graphic designer etc etc *sniff*

By the way, I love this photo of Perez. It's so honest in emotion:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6101/6872559104_d93660f708_b.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Valencia 2010 provided my favourite photo

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jUgyG.jpg

mblitek

"It is really unprofessional. For a driver who has achieved so much to take out his frustrations on me just because he is having a difficult year is really sad."

I have to agree but let's move on shall we? I mean Vettel has a great sense of humour and intelligence it seems. I'm going to mark this down as a "slip-up" blown out of proportion. Compared to Schumacher almost killing Rubens in '09 (?) this isn't that big of a deal. But a blemish no less.

I think I'll go the other way on this for arguments sake, if no other reason.

If Karthikeyan is going to squeak it into the race by three tenths of 107%, and proceed to drive around five seconds off the pace, he's going to need some thicker skin. Right or wrong, it won't be the last time he'll hear it from a fellow driver this year that's for sure.

frontieruk

I think I'll go the other way on this for arguments sake, if no other reason.

If Karthikeyan is going to squeak it into the race by three tenths of 107%, and proceed to drive around five seconds off the pace, he's going to need some thicker skin. Right or wrong, it won't be the last time he'll hear it from a fellow driver this year that's for sure.

Do you think Karthikeyan would of said anything if Vettel hadn't had his outburst? I'd imagine he's just standing his corner as he's been attacked, if no outburst he'd of just said what he did minus the crybaby comment ie wheel spin beyond his control, he saw it as a racing incident but accepts the stewards decision.

Do you think Karthikeyan would of said anything if Vettel hadn't had his outburst? I'd imagine he's just standing his corner as he's been attacked, if no outburst he'd of just said what he did minus the crybaby comment ie wheel spin beyond his control, he saw it as a racing incident but accepts the stewards decision.

I'm sure he wouldn't have. The paced of that car is going to give other competitors fits though. Things are going to be said.

frontieruk

I'm sure he wouldn't have. The paced of that car is going to give other competitors fits though. Things are going to be said.

at least this season they aren't giving them a pass if they don't meet the 107% rule, couple of races last year and the year before they got included and were under the 107% so I don't see much of an outcry, Vettel has been passing those slow cars at the back with no incidents when he's been driving out front, so I don't see how they've suddenly become moving road blocks because he's not got the car he wants (I know he didn't say road block but Karthikeyan has been called that a couple of times in this thread).

Basically Vettel's frustrated and made a poor decision about how he quickly he pulled back onto the racing line, which is going to frustrate him even more, it's going to be a character building season for Vettel, one where we may see more of a less controlled persona.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
NoRain Narain Karthikeyan - Mr. Vettel you are an unprofessional shameful cry-baby.

sbstnvtl Sebastian Vettel - Ha ha, ancient cucumber called me mister.

wibbah Mark Webber - Aw Seb mate, don't be a dag about the age thing again, Narain's the flamin' same age as meself.

NoRain Narain Karthikeyan - There is really no point Mark, this is the just the kind of rude behaviour unbecoming of a double world champion. It really is just bullying.

sbstnvtl Sebastian Vettel - Ha ha, double world champion, double fingered salute. Idiot.

fernando Fernando Alonso - I'd be careful with that Vettel, rumour has it the FIA are finally going to do something about your finger usage. Two years too late in my opinion.

Horner Christian Horner - I'd just like to clarify that perfect Seb may have been overly stressed during the Malaysian GP, which possibly led to some confusion and the accidental usage of a different finger than usual for his victory salute.

jpm Juan Pablo Montoya - Karthikeyan done getting big respect for his awesome wrecking. He should be stayed in the NASCAR Trucks dude and not the stupid fucking F1's.

mschumi Michael Schumacher - Indeed a great talent lost to the world of redneck oval racing - I believe Karthikeyan didn't even finish in the top ten once for the whole season he was there. Ah well, I suppose NASCAR's loss is our... loss.

NoRain Narain Karthikeyan - Actually Michael, despite the lack of top positional finishes, I was honoured as the 2010 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Most Popular Driver.

mschumi Michael Schumacher - Probably because you never got in anyone's way... in the one motorsport where your job is actually to get in the way. Congratulations.

NoRain Narain Karthikeyan - On the contrary, it is quite possible to race competitively while allowing other drivers a reasonable amount of space, unlike some people driving in the top F1 teams at the moment. It really is just a matter of fairness and professionalism.

fernando Fernando Alonso - Sorry Karthikeyan, I believe part of being a professional is actually being paid by your employer, so that's a big fail for you.

diResta Paul di Resta - As a member of the Formula 1 elite, I think it is only fair that I should come to Narain's defence. The less talented amongst us should be given the chance to enjoy themselves on track without being harassed by those with the privilege of driving cars which are clearly light-years ahead of the machinery even a top-class driver like me has at his disposal.

mschumi Michael Schumacher - You mean privileged like Perez in his highly advanced magic Sauber?

diResta Paul di Resta - It is quite obvious Michael that if I was in a similar position to Sergio, where absolutely everything went in my favour and everything was down to pure luck, I wouldn't have settled for the 2nd step on the podium.

Perez Sergio Perez - Podium high, Sergio happy on podium.

NoRain Narain Karthikeyan - Thank you for your support Paul, though I'm afraid that despite all protestations, the injustice has already been done, and the clearly biased Malaysian stewards have handed me a 20 second penalty.

fernando Fernando Alonso - I wonder what kind of lunatic could have come to the conclusion that Karthikeyan deserved a penalty?

johnny Johnny Herbert - Here's Johnny! I'll remember every single whiny gripe you sapless sissies utter the next time you stand before me in my stewards lair, and when I'm finished nullifying your existence you'll wish you'd never heard the name Johnny Herbert.
Source

Septimius

at least this season they aren't giving them a pass if they don't meet the 107% rule, couple of races last year and the year before they got included and were under the 107% so I don't see much of an outcry, Vettel has been passing those slow cars at the back with no incidents when he's been driving out front, so I don't see how they've suddenly become moving road blocks because he's not got the car he wants (I know he didn't say road block but Karthikeyan has been called that a couple of times in this thread).

Basically Vettel's frustrated and made a poor decision about how he quickly he pulled back onto the racing line, which is going to frustrate him even more, it's going to be a character building season for Vettel, one where we may see more of a less controlled persona.

So far this year has been no different. The only races they've been excluded before have been the first. Later in the season when they've been outside the 107%, they've argued to the stewards that their practice times showed their potential, but that they had problems during qualifying. That's why they've been allowed to race. I think it's been fair most of the time, and I bet we'll be seeing it again this season. The point is not to exclude people that haven't set a lap or otherwise had problems during qualifying, but excluding cars that are more than 7% slower than the fastest man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom