• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Full House Poker (XBLA/Windows Phone 7) Official Thread

Daigoro said:
I seriously doubt they have a 30 min time limit. The blinds in the ranked normal tourneys go up about every 10 min or so and are not timed

For the Heat live tourney, they probably just start every 30 min and go until they finish.

there is no time limit for ranked tourneys. Wouldn't make sense for the heat events to have them either.

It's not a 30 min time limit. It's 25 mins. Here's a quick summary of the mode:

Regardless of how your bankroll is looking, you're always allowed to participate in regularly scheduled Texas Heat events. These nicely presented tournaments last for only 25 minutes each and emphasize experience points over chips so that you have a chance of being named the winner even if you don't have the biggest stack. There are three different tiers of table, and depending on how well you're doing, you can be demoted or promoted mid-tournament. If you lose all of your chips, you move down a table, freeing a spot for the chip leader at that table to move up. Messages regularly flash up at the bottom of the screen to let you know how you're faring against other players and how well your friends are doing. You can also see players at adjacent tables and even hear cheers go up from them after a big pot is won. It's all pretty exciting, and when the tournament finishes, you're not only rewarded with chips and experience points, but also with special customization options (a polka dot deck of cards or a gold suit for your avatar, for example), as well as a percentage of the chips that you were holding at the end.

Daigoro

Kinspiracy said:
It's not a 30 min time limit. It's 25 mins. Here's a quick summary of the mode:

Regardless of how your bankroll is looking, you're always allowed to participate in regularly scheduled Texas Heat events. These nicely presented tournaments last for only 25 minutes each and emphasize experience points over chips so that you have a chance of being named the winner even if you don't have the biggest stack. There are three different tiers of table, and depending on how well you're doing, you can be demoted or promoted mid-tournament. If you lose all of your chips, you move down a table, freeing a spot for the chip leader at that table to move up. Messages regularly flash up at the bottom of the screen to let you know how you're faring against other players and how well your friends are doing. You can also see players at adjacent tables and even hear cheers go up from them after a big pot is won. It's all pretty exciting, and when the tournament finishes, you're not only rewarded with chips and experience points, but also with special customization options (a polka dot deck of cards or a gold suit for your avatar, for example), as well as a percentage of the chips that you were holding at the end.
Interesting. Still could work with the gimics they have in place. Hot pot, timers etc. Seems like prudent folding could work in your favor as well.

How many people per table? Where is this info from?

Wonder if they'll stick with this format for every heat event or if they will switch it up at all.

Guess well see how it works out tomorrow.

moai said:
i'm a litlle worried now, i was locked out of 1vs100 by ip (being in chile). could they do that to us with a paid game?

The DLC is free so they can. Maybe a VPN is needed to play the game, but the option is showing normally at the game if the local settings of the 360 is set to a valid country. Maybe, maybe, that will be enough.

Daigoro said:
Interesting. Still could work with the gimics they have in place. Hot pot, timers etc. Seems like prudent folding could work in your favor as well.

How many people per table? Where is this info from?

Wonder if they'll stick with this format for every heat event or if they will switch it up at all.

Guess well see how it works out tomorrow.

The info is from the Gamespot review.

zorbsie

I'm really digging this game on WP7, but it has hard locked my phone twice now. Don't know if I want to keep playing it, if this is going to be a regular thing. I have a Samsung Focus, anyone else having an issue with the WP7 version?

Bought the game late last night after playing the trial. Love what they've done with the presentation.

Blinds are too small though, one of the last matches I was playing had this guy who was so short stacked that it was embarrassing to see him fold hand after hand after hand, I would have just went all in and accepted 3rd place and moved on to the next game, rather than trying to scrape my way back into that match and slowing it down for the other two players.

Also, people waiting 10 seconds every turn to do anything annoy me. I'm sure they're doing it on purpose just to frustrate me into making a mistake. Works sometimes.

I love that Avatar rewards are available in a good number of games now. It's cool to be seen playing poker wearing the Super Meat Boy T-Shirt I earned, or any number of other cool items that are obtained from games as rewards, rather than bought from the Avatar Marketplace. I'm now sporting a black cowboy hat and Crazy Taxi Hawaiian shirt. Will be playing later.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
zorbsie said:
I'm really digging this game on WP7, but it has hard locked my phone twice now. Don't know if I want to keep playing it, if this is going to be a regular thing. I have a Samsung Focus, anyone else having an issue with the WP7 version?

I have played it for about 12 hours without a problem! (I have it running on my desk whilst I am at work)

Mofo

zorbsie said:

I have the LG and haven't had any locking issues.

Dead Man Typing said:
Bought the game late last night after playing the trial. Love what they've done with the presentation.

Blinds are too small though, one of the last matches I was playing had this guy who was so short stacked that it was embarrassing to see him fold hand after hand after hand, I would have just went all in and accepted 3rd place and moved on to the next game, rather than trying to scrape my way back into that match and slowing it down for the other two players.

Also, people waiting 10 seconds every turn to do anything annoy me. I'm sure they're doing it on purpose just to frustrate me into making a mistake. Works sometimes.

I love that Avatar rewards are available in a good number of games now. It's cool to be seen playing poker wearing the Super Meat Boy T-Shirt I earned, or any number of other cool items that are obtained from games as rewards, rather than bought from the Avatar Marketplace. I'm now sporting a black cowboy hat and Crazy Taxi Hawaiian shirt. Will be playing later.

Yeah, the avatars really add something great to this game. As for your Super Meat Boy shirt, you didn't earn it. I have one and I suck at the game. =) If you have the avatar pet, you truly earned that thing. I want it, but I'll never be able to get it. I hate losing in this game, but its infinitely worse when you lose to a guy dressed as a giant carrot.

Kinspiracy said:
Yeah, the avatars really add something great to this game. As for your Super Meat Boy shirt, you didn't earn it. I have one and I suck at the game. =) If you have the avatar pet, you truly earned that thing. I want it, but I'll never be able to get it. I hate losing in this game, but its infinitely worse when you lose to a guy dressed as a giant carrot.

This guy with the Fallout Boy mask was kicking my ass and for some reason it was making me more mad.

moai

OldJadedGamer said:
This guy with the Fallout Boy mask was kicking my ass and for some reason it was making me more mad.

i played a really good player with the full fallout costume. last game i played took me an hour to beat some guy with the space monkey suit from blops.
i love this game.

I just played a game sitting between someone in the full Scream costume who wouldnt stop staring at me, and on the other side was a giant gingerbread man. Clearly money is being spent at the Avatar store. I love it. And for those like myself that had no clue where those crazy Einstein hair-dos and labcoats were coming from, apparently it's from Xbox Labs. You go to the Community tab and download it (3 meg) and then let it run for 6 hours. You'll get 3 free avatar items (hat, hair, coat). It's available until the 27th.

surly

Banned
Would this be any good for teaching me how to play? I understand poker hands, but I don't really understand the betting.

surly said:
Would this be any good for teaching me how to play? I understand poker hands, but I don't really understand the betting.

It's not hard. A simple google search of Texas Hold'em Rules would tell you all you need to know. The game itself has a help section at well that explains it.

surly said:

Sure, you can play against the computer with no timer if you want to take it slow and learn the way a hand is played.

Barbarian

I have a question about one of the types of rewards. They look like scrolls of paper, and you can earn them after a game, but I have no idea what they are and I can't find them in any menus.

Anyone know what these are? Thanks!

(Loving the game so far. I sent a friend invite to POKER NeoGaf and can't wait to play with some Gaffers. My Xbox Live tag is Legal Barbarian)

Barbarian said:
I have a question about one of the types of rewards. They look like scrolls of paper, and you can earn them after a game, but I have no idea what they are and I can't find them in any menus.

Anyone know what these are? Thanks!

(Loving the game so far. I sent a friend invite to POKER NeoGaf and can't wait to play with some Gaffers. My Xbox Live tag is Legal Barbarian)

That's the moniker you give your player. You can change it before you enter a game.

Gowans

OldJadedGamer said:
Anyone hitting the 500 and 1,000 tables online?
Yeah I've been in the 1000 buy in ones mainly, invited a lot of friends into them.

Looking coward to the Texas Heat stuff starting tonight and as for Avatar stuff this really has me tempted to deck out my guy with something rediculous for online.

OldJadedGamer said:

LMAO I have that exact mask.

I love the game but I think I'm having more fun putting together a crazy looking avatar to bring to the table. I never really even thought avatars would have any sort of impact in the game, and I certainly didn't think it would add something so fun.

Mizzou Gaming said:
LMAO I have that exact mask.

I love the game but I think I'm having more fun putting together a crazy looking avatar to bring to the table. I never really even thought avatars would have any sort of impact in the game, and I certainly didn't think it would add something so fun.

Even if I haven't played with you... I hate you already :) I feel the same about making my avatar something silly just to piss people off. Top Spin Tennis just came out with a Tennis Ball head I may buy just for this game.

Barbarian

This really is the first game to make me care about what my avatar looks like. Smart move by Microsoft -- suddenly all that junk in the avatar store becomes interesting!

Gowans

Starts at 8pm in the UK tonight right?

Also here's what I'm playing with at the mo:

Edit: Damn it, I caved thought I'd spend 160 of my reward points getting all fancied up for tonight.

Bejewled Battle Suit acquired! haha

Can we play as a group in Texas Heat? If we can I say we do a little Gaf Heat.

Is it possible to use your own 360 avatar as an avatar on GAF? I really want to use my "Slick" Willy Gates avatar(POKER NeoGAF's Avatar) on here. If I can whats the best way to do it? I haven't added an avatar ← because I'm afraid it will violate the size restrictions on here and I really don't want to get banned.

The Culture Vulture said:
OK guys first round of Texas Heat is tonight. Am I safe to assume those times listed are EST?

I think the times you see listed in-game are adjusted to where you happen to live.

Can't wait to give this a go tonight.

Barbarian

Are the different listings for Texas Heat separate games, or do you need to start with the first one? (I'm hoping they are separate since I won't be home in time for the earliest event.)

Mizzou Gaming said:
Can we play as a group in Texas Heat? If we can I say we do a little Gaf Heat.

Is it possible to use your own 360 avatar as an avatar on GAF? I really want to use my "Slick" Willy Gates avatar(POKER NeoGAF's Avatar) on here. If I can whats the best way to do it? I haven't added an avatar ← because I'm afraid it will violate the size restrictions on here and I really don't want to get banned.

I just stuck my gamertag in at http://mundorare.com/games/avatar-360/xbl-avatar-checker

And then used the resulting image as my avatar here. Seems to work. And your avatar here will change as you change it on XBL.

I'll be on starting at 5 CST. I'm down for GAF Heat if it's a possibility but I think playing together will work better on regular nights. Anyone can send me an invite if they want to try. Gamertag - Culture Vulture

Kinspiracy said:
This is dumb. It's all CPU players.

I have had at least 2 humans on every table... 5 humans for about 10 minutes when I got knocked down to Double Diamond for a bit.

Sees like good fun.

Gowans

It's been mostly humans for me.

My take on this is that it's a while bunch of concurrent 30 player tournaments with bigger bets, bonuses and rewards.

Plus overall winners shown at the end of rounds. About 15000 people playing so far & some people winning at the top had mega xp.

On Tuesday I'll try and get a full heat room with friends and gaffers.

Sanjuro

Had a tough first half hour. Rebounded in the next few and ended up with a 2.1 million chips at the triple diamond table.

I played in three shows any never saw a single human player. And I had stints at every level of table. I'll happily go back to ranked matches and deal with the occasional ALL-INers. The CPU-controlled players in this Texas Heat stuff are just as dumb as the people that go all-in all the time. Not sure what their AI is supposed to be emulating.

Gowans007 said:
It's been mostly humans for me.

My take on this is that it's a while bunch of concurrent 30 player tournaments with bigger bets, bonuses and rewards.

Plus overall winners shown at the end of rounds. About 15000 people playing so far & some people winning at the top had mega xp.

On Tuesday I'll try and get a full heat room with friends and gaffers.

Sorry, I missed your invite but my niece had to finish her Kinectimal game. I could actually see you on the table next to me, you are in that bejeweled outfit right?

I actually clicked to join your session so thats how I got in there. You didn't want me sitting at your table because I came out of the gate on fire with back to back Full Houses and then a straight. I got bumped to double diamond and ran into an all inner and was dealt a pair of rockets(been practicing my lingo lol) and sent him packing. I was on a freaking roll and then it all came crashing down even quicker than it went up.

I don't remember all the stuff I got but it seemed like quite a bit. I got bonuses for the best hand too. Then there was the life preserver award that let me rebuy at the double diamond table instead of having to go down.

All in all, I was quite impressed, I really think they've got something special here. If I were MS I'd have a free Gold Weekend with the Texas Heat portion open and free for all for those days.

Daigoro

They were obviously having some opening day issues with the servers or something. My first two games were filled with 95% human players. My third gamewigged out half way through and I was in an all AI filled room for the rest of the time, with the exception of one human.

So not sure what to think about the heat events. It fet way too rushed with the 25 min limit. It had some amusing moments though. We'll see.

Top Bottom