• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Giant Bomb Quick Look Thread 2

Couldn't agree more with Patrick and Brad about Nomura during the FFXIII-2 QL. Bravo sirs.

Yeah, I actually thought that was a really good quick look. And I'm glad that they didn't really hold back on their opinions with the direction Final Fantasy has gone. Not that most of GB ever does hold back.

Nopren

It's not that Patrick is bad in the quick looks, it's just that the others are so much better. A case of having a very high standard.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hearing them rant at Nomura is pretty embarrassing. He has nothing to do with the games beyond character design, and in this game all he did was design the faces, any buckles present are not his fault.

You think Nomura's designs don't set a precedent in the company? Even if unintentional? I'm sure most the guys working there know that Nomura's one of the top guys, and people expect certain thing from Square games.

Quick Look: Dustforce (Patrick/Jeff) (21:20)
Patrick does better in QLs than normal. I see why Brad hates him.

StuBurns

Banned
You think Nomura's designs don't set a precedent in the company? Even if unintentional? I'm sure most the guys working there know that Nomura's one of the top guys, and people expect certain thing from Square games.
Certainly they do, but the quicklook's complaints about modern Final Fantasy aren't solely aimed at Nomura's designs, or even those inspired by them, it was in things like art direction and even game design things. Nomura is constantly getting ripped apart on GAF, and in this instance on GB, just because he happens to be the most well known name at SE, nothing to do with his actual involvement in projects.

I'm not saying don't complain about the things they don't like of course. That's the whole point of QLs, I just don't think they should be targeting a single guy who is basically not involved with this game. When Versus comes out, they can shit on Nomura all they wish.

Credit where credit is due, it wouldn't be right to shit on Jeff for an article Patrick wrote, even if Patrick is following the same gonzo focus Jeff put in place.

sixghost

So I watched the whole FFXIII-2 QL...

Well, I wouldn't go so far (though I don't like the Optimae Paradigms Brad chose at all), but...

Constantly hitting auto-battle and the Optimae he chose (and being somewhat successful with them), well... it really does reflect the balancing--well, the lack thereof--in FFXIII-2 now that the level caps have been removed. Even though I'm not using monsters (except for the bits where I have to) in my playthrough (so I'm using two party members instead of three), I'm not really experiencing much difficulty with the game. It kinda sucks, because I wanted a harder game than FFXIII, or at least a Hard Mode.

Like what I did in FFXIII, I'm not using Auto-battle at all (partially because it makes the game boring if I do use it, and partially because the AI picks and links the dumbest assortment of commands), and even taking the extra time to select abilities and fill up the gauge doesn't really affect the pace of the battle (which, if you did the late-postgame in FFXIII, you'd know that timing attack animations of the leader and syncing them with your other characters would yield the best results in many circumstances, particularly with Mission 51 and the Guis).

Brad saying, "You can go in and issue commands to your character, but that's crazy! You're wasting turns by going in and picking specific abilities! The computer's good at enough at picking the commands," was something I found rather irksome since I do it just fine, and it's far better than counting on the AI to pick the commands for you since the AI picks the commands which link up very poorly and nonsensically in terms of animation linking, efficiency, battle tactics, and speed. :/
You'd have a point if XIII wasn't so easy. Doing all the things you mention are absolutely the more efficient way to play, but the game never gives you a reason to master the combat if you don't want to.

Certainly they do, but the quicklook's complaints about modern Final Fantasy aren't solely aimed at Nomura's designs, or even those inspired by them, it was in things like art direction and even game design things. Nomura is constantly getting ripped apart on GAF, and in this instance on GB, just because he happens to be the most well known name at SE, nothing to do with his actual involvement in projects.

What's funny is that the game's Nomura's directly involved in are some of the funnest games that SE's put out in a while.

Which makes people blaming him for all things wrong with Square Enix even more retarded.

Wow, Mutant Mudds actually looks really cool. The part where I realized what was going on in 3D with those thomp-looking dudes and the spiked balls was neat.

It's hard to believe that it was originally going to be this:

maximillian-and-the-rise-of-the-mutant-mudds-20090626032723261_640w.jpg
maximillian-and-the-rise-of-the-mutant-mudds-20090626032724293_640w.jpg

That Mutant Mudds game with the panels that throw you between background and foreground 3D layers reminds me of Virtual Boy Wario Land.

1198061-vbwarioland_red.png

Now there's a game that needs to come to 3DS. One of like, two Virtual Boy games still worth playing in 2012 (the other being Teleroboxer).

Lijik

That Mutant Mudds game with the panels that throw you between background and foreground 3D layers reminds me of Virtual Boy Wario Land.

They essentially admit to this being the inspiration with the cool V-Land bonus stages that have a Virtual boy pallete!
Dont know if those are in the QL, I haven't watched it yet.

They essentially admit to this being the inspiration with the cool V-Land bonus stages that have a Virtual boy pallete!
Dont know if those are in the QL, I haven't watched it yet.

Ha, so that's why the G-Land stages are "G-Land," they are Game Boy-inspired.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You'd have a point if XIII wasn't so easy. Doing all the things you mention are absolutely the more efficient way to play, but the game never gives you a reason to master the combat if you don't want to.
Partly correct. The main game is extremely easy, and macromanaging can be an okay method to get through the game. That's what I did in my Japanese playthrough until I started to quasi-macromanaging in my English playthrough... and the game just became a freaking cakewalk, and I felt like I wasn't really going through it via automation.

The late-postgame and the Barthandelus battles were the only battles in that game worth a damn since they did give you a reason to master the combat and micromanage. CSB isn't a terrible battle system, but the game definitely doesn't give it a lot of opportunities to support the combat system at all. That is the failing of FFXIII, and FFXIII-2 since it's easy with just two party members at around Lv 50 so far (since XIII-2 throws the balancing away).

For the record, CSB is not one of my favourite battle systems at all. I dislike its lack of flexibility in comparison to ATB Kai/Dresspheres and FFV/FFIII's job systems.

Risible

Haha, starring Patrick and Brad pulling about 27 Brads in a row. Let the nerdrage begin.

I think this kind of stuff needs to stop. Brad seems like a really cool dude, and we know he reads this thread, or at the very least GAF. It can't be easy playing these games under duress and with the knowledge that your every move is going to be scrutinized.

There are real people that are the butt of these comments, people who most likely see what you've said. Would you be comfortable saying it to the guy's face? If the answer is "Yes", I posit that maybe the problem is less him and more you.

As for Klepek, I agree that he's been in too many videos lately, but I assume that's because the GB guys are glad for a break and are letting the new guy take double duty. It'll even out later.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think this kind of stuff needs to stop. Brad seems like a really cool dude, and we know he reads this thread, or at the very least GAF. It can't be easy playing these games under duress and with the knowledge that your every move is going to be scrutinized.

There are real people that are the butt of these comments, people who most likely see what you've said. Would you be comfortable saying it to the guy's face? If the answer is "Yes", I posit that maybe the problem is less him and more you.

As for Klepek, I agree that he's been in too many videos lately, but I assume that's because the GB guys are glad for a break and are letting the new guy take double duty. It'll even out later.

Klepek writes editorials and keeps up with the news for the site. Other than Vinny, I can't imagine the others do more than he does. Not during slow game release times at least.

I want a Patrick/Patrick quick look.

ArjanN

I don't even mind Patrick. I thought this quicklook was kind of annoying because it just seemed like Brad was playing poorly and blaming the game.

Internet comments both valid and moronic come with the territory of putting video of yourself out there, and the stuff in here is mild compared to your average internet response, or even the comments on giant bomb themselves.

Top Bottom